Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You guys are arguing with a cloak room troll. They seem to all be of some sort of pathology where they think that we’re all in danger based on whatever the president says, and when someone dies of their own stupidity, he must be held accountable and personally put on trial for murder.

That’s the best I can tell. I’ve never seen this phenomenon in real life where people hang on every word someone they despise says, and then spend all day talking about it. I get the vibe that that is pretty much what happens in the cloak room all day. Just wait to see what is said next, then rotate between fuming and sobbing. Watching paint dry sounds more fun, but I’m not a fucking lemming, so who knows. 

Anywho, feel free to join me in just negging these fucktards on site. I’ve actually stopped waiting to finish reading their posts. 

Are you familiar with the concept of good leadership? You do understand that the person at the top sets the tone for the entire country, right? That maybe people seeing that person take things seriously and have an actual plan and trust in people who know what they're talking about might possibly, idk, lead to better management of crises like this? Like maybe if the person at the top had their shit together, we could have gotten a handle on it a lot sooner, and all your precious fucking sports wouldn't have gotten cancelled. You unbelievable moron.

Or you could just stand by and let him Charlie Strong the situation, and get all buttmad at anyone who DARES to mention that maybe his fucktardedness is doing too much damage to the country that we all fucking live in.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 12

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Kentucky couple reportedly tried to buy as many Mountain Dew cans at a Louisville Kroger earlier this week and complained to an employee when they were not allowed to leave the store. The man and woman tried to buy 23 cases, totaling 552 cans of Mountain Dew. The video, published by The Daily Mail on Friday and posted on Reddit, surfaced as grocery stores have struggled to keep shelves stocked during the coronavirus outbreak.

The man told a cashier he was told he could drop off some Mountain Dew cases in his car, then come back into the store to buy more. When he is told he cannot buy more, he is heard yelling, "A straight up lie. What a liar! You're such a liar. ... You just told me right now that I could go outside and come back in and get the drinks."

The man continued shouting, while the woman tried to keep the peace. He even started to push the cart away before the woman stopped him. He was told he was only able to take two of the four cases in his cart. She picked up the other two cases and slammed them on the cash register before pushing the cart away.

https://popculture.com/trending/2020/03/23/coronavirus-mountain-dew-kroger-couple-552-cans/

SEC SEC SEC!

Shame they didn’t use their speed to get the Dew out the door.  

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I mean, there's headlines out there if you want to find them lol

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/sales-of-fish-tank-additive-skyrocket-after-studies-say-it-could-treat-coronavirus/

Or this interview with them is also illustrative of the point that we're trying to make that people aren't going to use much critical thought

Cloroquine Phosphate is indeed taken on its own to treat malaria. Now, nobody is saying that the president is personally liable for these people's terrible decision making. However, it's strong evidence of the danger that comes from a lack of consistent message from the white house, and the president overriding his medical experts advice and counsel on the topic. 

Why did those two people die? Was the aquarium-grade chloroquine phosphate mixed with something else that was toxic, or did they take way too much, or what?

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Facectious ? No not at all. January and February saw millions and  millions of people on airplanes around the county.  You tried to bash somebody who did just that.  Stop with you holier than thou BS. 

It wasn't so much directed AT him but just using his example of why some people are idiots and can't be trusted to use common sense instead of having their hand forced by the govt to stay their ass at home. BTW, how did that unrestricted air travel thing work out? We stopped the spread, right? 

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You're really a piece of work aren't you ?  I didn't go, and said I was watching and listening to the situation as it unfolded.  I wasn't going to panic and just cancel my life till I saw it was the right thing to do.  

What was it I said? Oh yeah: "The people like yourself and CTJ who don't really care about the impact outside of yourself..." Thanks for proving my point for me.
BTW, delaying a ski vacation doesn't equate to panic. Lulz.

• Fuck You 5

1 hour ago, Hmbre97 said:

It wasn't so much directed AT him but just using his example of why some people are idiots and can't be trusted to use common sense instead of having their hand forced by the govt to stay their ass at home. BTW, how did that unrestricted air travel thing work out? We stopped the spread, right? 

giphy.gif

What was it I said? Oh yeah: "The people like yourself and CTJ who don't really care about the impact outside of yourself..." Thanks for proving my point for me.
BTW, delaying a ski vacation doesn't equate to panic. Lulz.

You haven't really proved anything. Again in January and February there was no thought by the gov't or citizens to not fly domestically at least.  That was what started the back and forth.  

The use of the word panic is a euphemsim. I wasn't going to put my life on hold till I had enough actual evidence, and not others simply saying agggghhh the sky is falling. When I got a phone call from my Air Force son saying they were restricted from any travel till May 11 at least, that made my decision clear.

EDIT:  Nice use of graphics though.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Lastly, I think there would be tremendous financial and legal repercussions if construction did shut down.  We've had a number of preparatory calls with our legal team to discuss Force Majeure clauses in our contracts.  But, how do owners, lenders, tenants and all other parties react / respond when a location is set to open May 1 but gets delayed due to the impact of shelter in place orders?  Or, if you're a homeowner on a lease-back of a house you're selling while you wait for your new home to finish construction, and that gets delayed, are you out on the streets for a few months?  

How did those calls go? I'm a real estate developer that was just about to sign a $7MM construction loan with a hard completion date.  The force majeure provision was limited with no pandemic language.

Now this lender has temporarily closed up shop and isn't funding any draws.   Nice, right?  I understand construction crews needing to push forward, but how long does this go on if the lenders don't fund.  Hopefully this ends soon and we don't have to find out.

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I mean, there's headlines out there if you want to find them lol

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/sales-of-fish-tank-additive-skyrocket-after-studies-say-it-could-treat-coronavirus/

Or this interview with them is also illustrative of the point that we're trying to make that people aren't going to use much critical thought

Cloroquine Phosphate is indeed taken on its own to treat malaria. Now, nobody is saying that the president is personally liable for these people's terrible decision making. However, it's strong evidence of the danger that comes from a lack of consistent message from the white house, and the president overriding his medical experts advice and counsel on the topic. 

I think you missed the point of my post.  After they died, I fully expect thousands of Youtube videos on how to do what they did but do it "right."

21 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Now, nobody is saying that the president is personally liable for these people's terrible decision making. 

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

My dude, they DRANK an anti parasite aquarium formula from a fucking store. To put even 1 iota of blame on Trump for Darwin level decision making puts you at partisan hack level 1 million. 

??? reading comprehension is hard

• Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

It wasn't so much directed AT him but just using his example of why some people are idiots and can't be trusted to use common sense instead of having their hand forced by the govt to stay their ass at home.

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

When I got a phone call from my Air Force son saying they were restricted from any travel till May 11 at least, that made my decision clear.

Image result for blank stare gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Neighbor’s truck 3 doors down was broken into last night. Lost a $75 flashlight.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a big jump in “defensive” shootings.

kinda bothers me that the house next door is empty and up for lease. 

I got the same issue.  Neighbors got older and decided to find a house that has a downstairs master suite.  They have the means to buy a new house for cash, so they just left this house and bought another saying they'll put this one up "at some point."  Now that's on hold.  

Yard man and pool boy are the only people who've been there since early January. At least AFAIK.

5 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

How did those calls go? I'm a real estate developer that was just about to sign a $7MM construction loan with a hard completion date.  The force majeure provision was limited with no pandemic language.

Now this lender has temporarily closed up shop and isn't funding any draws.   Nice, right?  I understand construction crews needing to push forward, but how long does this go on if the lenders don't fund.  Hopefully this ends soon and we don't have to find out.

I have yet to hit the financial problems in regards to project, yet.  I can report that the confustion over Shelter In Place  type declarations and ambiguity in "critical workers/infrastructure" communication has fucked workflow pretty hard over the last week or so.  Nothing is going to finish on time over the next few months.

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The playgrounds in Mueller were overrun with kids all weekend with not a Clorox wipe in sight. It was 95% Hispanic families (no racisto) which made my wife wonder if Spanish speaking news was covering COVID as seriously as english MSM. These families were babies, toddlers, grade school, young parents, old parents, and abuelitas. 

There were about a tenth or less than the usual amount of kids and parents out over the weekend.  More groups of younger white guys playing volleyball and frisbee at the splash pad park

2 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

There were about a tenth or less than the usual amount of kids and parents out over the weekend.  More groups of younger white guys playing volleyball and frisbee at the splash pad park

How did the Clorox wipe situation look?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

It says something about society when alcohol and on-demand entertainment are not just considered good for the psyche but also necessary.

/stepsdownfromhighhorse

well that would be almost every society in the world since like the invention of alcohol...unless you don't consider strippers and prostitutes on demand entertainment.

4 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I got the same issue.  Neighbors got older and decided to find a house that has a downstairs master suite.  They have the means to buy a new house for cash, so they just left this house and bought another saying they'll put this one up "at some point."  Now that's on hold.  

Yard man and pool boy are the only people who've been there since early January. At least AFAIK.

Sounds like you need to move in over there and get your squatter's rights going on.

8 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Neighbor’s truck 3 doors down was broken into last night. Lost a $75 flashlight.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a big jump in “defensive” shootings.

kinda bothers me that the house next door is empty and up for lease. 

I am just waiting for the house to get broken into and they steal all my booze and TP.

4 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

spacer.png

yeah here’s a pic a snapped of them

Edited by Digdogger

For some discussion, a conversation among legal colleagues about the reach and enforceability of various restrictive orders issued by county, state, etc. authorities that exercise what is called "police power" and temporarily restrain liberty (posting a good piece below).  The TLDR version: in the interest of public health, restrictions on liberty are allowed, and have been for a long time, per SCOTUS.  Each rule/reg will be different, and of course can be challenged as an impermissibly broad exercise of that power, but the law is pretty clear that the authorities CAN take significant action to restrict liberty in the interest of public health.
"It is, then, liberty regulated by law."
This Constitutional law piece is from my Texas Lawyer colleague:
Here is the Supreme Court’s ruling on the government’s exercise of police power in the face of an epidemic:
In Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11, 25 S.Ct. 358, 49 L.Ed. 643 (1905), the United States Supreme Court considered a challenge to a state law requiring everyone to be vaccinated against smallpox. Henning Jacobson refused vaccination and was convicted. The court upheld the law and Jacobson’s conviction.
Mr. Justice Harlan wrote for a 7-2 majority:
“The Constitution does not import an absolute right in each person to be, at all times and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint.” Instead, “a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic.” Its members “may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand.”
“The authority of the state to enact this statute is to be referred to what is commonly called the police power,—a power which the state did not surrender when becoming a member of the Union under the Constitution.”
“According to settled principles, the police power of a state must be held to embrace, at least, such reasonable regulations established directly by legislative enactment as will protect the public health and the public safety.”
“Even liberty itself, the greatest of all rights, is not unrestricted license to act according to one’s own will. It is only freedom from restraint under conditions essential to the equal enjoyment of the same right by others. It is, then, liberty regulated by law.”
“In every well-ordered society charged with the duty of conserving the safety of its members the rights of the individual in respect of his liberty may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand.”
“We hold that the statute in question is a health law, enacted in a reasonable and proper exercise of the police power.”
“We do not perceive that this legislation has invaded any right secured by the Federal Constitution.”
“Nothing clearly appears that would justify this court in holding the statute to be unconstitutional.”
The judgment of conviction must be affirmed.
It is so ordered.

Good info. Any idea where the penalties come from? For example, the Dallas Cty ord doesn't list any consequences for violations, but news stated violators could be fined up to $2,500 per offense.

12 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

If they open up shop again and seek to close, make sure that FM clause has specific pandemic/COVID langugage (especially if loan docs are governed by TX or NY law), make sure all completion/commencement dates are subject to FM, and look at any MAC clauses very carefully. If you can carve out COVID out of the MAC definition (if you are otherwise performing) that would be best, if not, then make sure there is a similar limitation if you have a MAC EOD (get this deleted if possible), or "no MAC" as a condition to future draws.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Are you familiar with the concept of good leadership? You do understand that the person at the top sets the tone for the entire country, right? That maybe people seeing that person take things seriously and have an actual plan and trust in people who know what they're talking about might possibly, idk, lead to better management of crises like this? Like maybe if the person at the top had their shit together, we could have gotten a handle on it a lot sooner, and all your precious fucking sports wouldn't have gotten cancelled. You unbelievable moron.

Or you could just stand by and let him Charlie Strong the situation, and get all buttmad at anyone who DARES to mention that maybe his fucktardedness is doing too much damage to the country that we all fucking live in.

Cloak room troll talking boring fucking politics. Negged and fuck your own face. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

They sell beer and wine.  There are a bunch of alcoholics that could not consume enough alcohol that way and would start experiencing withdrawals.  It's a sad statement, but true.  Alcohol withdrawal is a serious medical issue and needs to be done under medical supervision or can result in death.

While I am cool with liquor stores staying open I can personally attest that this is not true. When I was drinking it was a handle of vodka one day and a box of wine the next. No withdrawals on the wine days. 

That said, most food deserts are not liquor deserts, and yes, the drunks do need their fix. 

So do drug addicts, for that matter, and if the border shutdowns are effective a whole bunch of them are about to be crawling out of their skins. 

11 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

No it is hard for you, very hard. 

You did the "it isnt his fault completely" HOWEVER "it is still his fault because of  his messaging and mainly because I hate him and I am a partisan hack" 

Holy shit you fucking people. Are we not allowed to talk about the fucking coaching in a game thread? Does what happens on the field start and end with only what's on the field? Or does the decisions made by the leaders of the team leading up to, during, and after the game also fucking matter and make a material difference on the outcome?

I'm not being hyperbolic to say that people are going to do dumb things and make dumb decisions because of the inconsistent messaging. There's evidence to show that is the case. Those bad decisions - the state of Florida not closing its beaches, small town Texas acting like nothing is going on, etc - are going to have very real and meaningful consequences in terms of health outcomes.

It's not about teams or parties, it's about making the best decisions to give all of us the best shot at getting through the pandemic. That includes the people driving the bus that we're all on together doing and saying things that make sense and are backed by medical experts.

I've been collecting negs for saying that we shouldn't end social distancing in a week, as what the plan appears to be. I don't hold that opinion because "orange man bad", I hold that opinion because that's what the medical experts around the country and on the COVID-19 task force say is their opinion. 

You fuckers are just so upset at someone disagreeing with you, that you're looking for any reason to ignore and disengage. I haven't been bringing partisan bullshit or broad brush attacks against people for their political beliefs in here. 

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 7
  • Fuck You 12

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Yeah, but the point I'm trying to make is VERY IMPORTANT and YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IT!!!!

Yeah those rules are only for viewpoints they disagree with but it’s their duty to inform these “idiots” about what’s bad because they are soooooo smart.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Cloak room troll talking boring fucking politics. Negged and fuck your own face. 

It's Saturday, Oct 3rd, 2015 and we're getting blown out by 7 TDs at TCU. You're the fucktard saying "just wait until Charlie gets his guys in there".

Because if there's anything we know as Texas fans, it's that we should just allow the incompetent leaders that got us into the huge mess in the first place continue to manage the crisis and just hope they'll just learn to not be shitty. Because it's not like we have the pull and resources to do better or anything.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 36

24 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

This is our big concern.

I'm not sure how long we work if funding dries up. I think the steps the government has taken to ensure liquidity is going to keep it open though.

The lack of testing options is still frustrating. I have a family member in Travis County that has been preliminary diagnosed with Covid by a doctor, but they're not allowed to take an official test.

I get the concept that a test doesn't help the individual get better but it does help our public health officials make decisions. If we just hide the numbers, we won't get past this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bonnieblue said:

If they open up shop again and seek to close, make sure that FM clause has specific pandemic/COVID langugage (especially if loan docs are governed by TX or NY law), make sure all completion/commencement dates are subject to FM, and look at any MAC clauses very carefully. If you can carve out COVID out of the MAC definition (if you are otherwise performing) that would be best, if not, then make sure there is a similar limitation if you have a MAC EOD (get this deleted if possible), or "no MAC" as a condition to future draws.

Your words to God's ears.  I had a good relationship with a construction lender pre 2008 (since closed by the FDIC) where I could negotiate some loan doc revisions here and there.  Since then?  A pretty firm 'go fuck yourself' from any construction lender I tried to work with.  No revisions to docs, nada.  Want our money? Great, here are our terms. Sign it or don't.

I was already reticent to sign beforehand, but now? Either close up my own shop or quite literally take the plunge.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away