Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Their 'lockdown' is very similar to what we've been doing in Texas for a week, and the SiPs that we've been doing all over the country.  Their list of essential business looks very much like ours.

https://qz.com/india/1824459/indias-coronavirus-lockdown-guidelines-for-essential-services/

I thought we were doing it wrong, but the PM of India is citing us as an example of how to do it.

Except India is doing it uniformly nationwide. Yes, we have large areas doing it properly (finally). We have others that aren't. I really don't understand ignoring the importance of getting everyone on the same page. Also, India acted much sooner than we did relative to the severity of their outbreak. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

So we are going to have our issues here, especially in inner city areas but is basically everything we are generally maligned for (some with good reason) including but not limited to car culture, shitty public transportation, urban sprawl and the heat, my god the heat going to make the Texas experience pretty different than a lot of other places.  I mean the Oak pollen is going to kill us all anyway.

• Like 2

Just now, Dahobbs said:

Except India is doing it uniformly nationwide. Yes, we have large areas doing it properly (finally). We have others that aren't. I really don't understand ignoring the importance of getting everyone on the same page

You'll never get Americans to agree on anything. Just look at people who think Bob Stoops doesn't eat dicks.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To be clear, that study was incomplete and at least one patient died while during the study, and several just disappeared.  And it's unknown if lowering the viral load reduces contagiousness or even fatalities.

I think it's ok to use the medicine humanely but to just start giving mass dosages is irresponsible. Just because Fox News is promoting it, it doesn't mean it's ready for off label use for millions.

I also know that many studies are quickly being fast tracked which is great.

Between patients, the study incorporated patients and initiated treatment at different points in course of illness and with varying degrees complications.  When you try to separate those subgroups out of an already small study, you lose statistical meaning.  Doesn't mean you can't make observations when they hit you in the face and try things when time is not on your side (with appropriate patient consent and competent medical risk assessment).  Intuitively, early intervention offers better outcomes.  That's the case with so many conditions that involve a cascade of complications that quickly get beyond reach.

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Austinites- is Town Lake Trail now closed as of noon or is it still open?

I don't believe it's closed. According to this KUT article, here's what on tap for Austin:

Austin Issues Stay-At-Home Order To Help Stop Coronavirus Spread

https://www.kut.org/post/austin-issues-stay-home-order-help-stop-coronavirus-spread

The City of Austin has issued an order for residents to stay at home to help stop the spread of the coronavirus. The order goes into effect at 11:59 p.m. Tuesday.

The order requires all nonessential businesses to close or have employees work from home. Essential businesses, like grocery stores and pharmacies, can remain open. Hardware stores, laundromats, gas stations and child care facilities are also among those businesses that are exempt.

Public and private gatherings of any number of people outside a single household or home are prohibited by the order. Members of the same household are not prohibited from gathering.

Residents are allowed to leave their homes for the following essential activities:

• For health and safety, including doctors' and veterinarian appointments
  • To get necessary supplies and services, including groceries and pet supplies
  • For outdoor activity, including walking and bicycling - as long as people comply with social distancing requirements
  • For certain types of work, including essential business, government service or critical infrastructure
  • To take care of others, including pets

Anyone who is caught violating the order faces a fine of no more than $1,000 and up to 180 days in jail.

http://www.mayoradler.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Order-20200324-007-Stay-Home-Work-Safe.pdf

Edited by bolverk
clarification

1 hour ago, NoName said:

India on lockdown for 21 days

That’s pretty wild.    Expected parts or cities to be locked down, but not whole country.   That’s bigger than China’s lockdown.  The “it’s just the flu crowd” is probably pretty small over there.   We have friends from India who are grad students at UT, and they flew back home when UT made their announcement, and they quarantined when they got back.   Not sure if it was something they did on their own, or was mandated.  

Of course, their lockdown is like our lockdown, and not welding doors shut.   

Edited by atomheartbevo

7 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Their 'lockdown' is very similar to what we've been doing in Texas for a week, and the SiPs that we've been doing all over the country.  Their list of essential business looks very much like ours.

https://qz.com/india/1824459/indias-coronavirus-lockdown-guidelines-for-essential-services/

I thought we were doing it wrong, but the PM of India is citing us as an example of how to do it.

The reality is, the observations that pour into this thread aren't reality. They're anecdotes people are searching for in the greater muck of overall conformity. Every country that isn't totalitarian or a dictatorship is seeing the same shit or worse. Mostly people doing what they need to be doing, and being good citizens. But that isn't what this thread is for at all. More bad news that can be extrapolated into worst case scenarios, hopefully involving static math from data relevant no less than 3 weeks ago is what this thread needs, stat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, topochico said:

You should be fine. That is an in office procedure under local. Should not be affected by the current cancellation of elective operative procedures. 

That isn't what the board is saying. It is saying emergency treatment only.

15 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I don't think so.  They shut down their trains.  That's almost like a travel ban for them.

Consider this. Eight million people take Mumbai's crowded suburban train network every day. Packed to nearly three times its capacity, this is one of the busiest railway systems in the world.

The 459km (285-mile) network is the lifeline of India's financial and entertainment capital, accounting for nearly 80% of all commuting trips in the populous western city. The suburban trains "cover almost the distance up to [the] moon in one week," the network's website says.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-51957936

• Like 1

Watching the City of Austin press conference now. The spokesperson says that their modelling, with the assistance of UT researchers, indicate that if we don't take action today (meaning SiP), the city will run out of beds in 3-4 weeks. By May, we'd locally need 20,000 beds per day.

Saying that UT will share its research sometime today.

Link:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-austin-shelter-in-place-covid-19/269-64331d24-5db4-4151-b586-52c02bddb2c0

Edited by bolverk
linkage
  • Like 2

Sorry if already posted Party Zero : How a Soiree in Connecticut Became a 'Super Spreader'

About 50 guests gathered on March 5 at a home in the stately suburb of Westport, Connecticut, to toast the hostess on her 40th birthday and greet old friends, including one visiting from South Africa. They shared reminiscences, a lavish buffet and, unknown to anyone, the coronavirus.

Then they scattered.

The Westport soirée — Party Zero in southwestern Connecticut and beyond — is a story of how, in the Gilded Age of money, social connectedness and air travel, a pandemic has spread at lightning speed. The partygoers — more than half of whom are now infected — left that evening for Johannesburg, New York City, and other parts of Connecticut and the United States, all seeding infections on the way.

Westport, a town of 28,000 on the Long Island Sound, did not have a single known case of the coronavirus on the day of the party. It had 85 on Monday, up more than 40-fold in 11 days. At a news conference Monday afternoon, Gov. Ned Lamont of Connecticut said that 415 people in the state were infected, up from 327 on Sunday night. Ten people have died. Westport, with less than 1% of the state’s population, now makes up more than one-fifth of its COVID-19 infections with its 85 cases. Fairfield County, where Westport is, has 270 cases, 65% of the total.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

We need to have better terms.   Social distancing should be physical distancing.   

Shelter-in-place sounds like a tornado or hurricane term.   Lockdown isn’t a good term either, since it brings out the fucking Jade Helm/No gestapo in Bastrop(o) idiots.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Watching the City of Austin press conference now. The spokesperson says that their modelling, with the assistance of UT researchers, indicate that if we don't take action today (meaning SiP), the city will run out of beds in 3-4 weeks. By May, we'd locally need 20,000 beds per day.

Saying that UT will share its research sometime today.

Link:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-austin-shelter-in-place-covid-19/269-64331d24-5db4-4151-b586-52c02bddb2c0

Clearly the University of Texas is just fear mongering and using old static data; they have no idea what they're talking about. Just the flu, peeps.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You'll never get Americans to agree on anything. Just look at people who think Bob Stoops doesn't eat dicks.

Isn't that exactly why we need a coordinated response at the federal level and not piecemeal actions by a variety of local authorities?

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Spaulding Smails said:

On the ground up project, has it broken ground yet?  It's obvious that developers are going to undoubtedly suspend new projects, but I'm curious how many will push on with active projects vs. shuttering half-way through construction.  I guess that's a cost-benefit analysis comparing future investment to complete, tenant viability, debt service and degradation of an unfinished structure among other factors.

Oh yeah.  Hole is dug for parking.  Plus this is a pre-leased corporate HQ project so we have a delivery mandate.  

I'm sure I'm late on this - but is Dan Patrick really advocating what is effectively death squads for the olds? 
What a dumb fuck, let's just kill several million when the hospital get overrun; this seems very immature, like a toddler who can't understand how time works or that we've talked about how this was going to work.
I feel sorry for Texas and for Texans having someone like this in a leadership position (sorry to CR the thread - but that is how Trump is treating this as well)
Since you just CR'd with this post, I'll reply that some of y'all have been bitching about wanting socialized healthcare for ages and now you complain when it's put into practice? What did you think was going to happen when the government decides who gets limited resources? Italy did the same thing. Spain has retirement homes abandoning olds to die.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Anyone have updates for WillCo?  I was reading they were going to make an announcement with Travis county, but I haven't seen anything yet

Yep, County Judge of Wilco declaring same thing at same press conference.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Txzen said:

Any idiots found defying orders should have their names put on a list.  Anyone on the list should be the last to receive care, should they need to seek medical attention.

Also, I've heard Austinite's mom is a Super Spreader.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Modessit said:
4 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:
I'm sure I'm late on this - but is Dan Patrick really advocating what is effectively death squads for the olds? 
What a dumb fuck, let's just kill several million when the hospital get overrun; this seems very immature, like a toddler who can't understand how time works or that we've talked about how this was going to work.
I feel sorry for Texas and for Texans having someone like this in a leadership position (sorry to CR the thread - but that is how Trump is treating this as well)

Since you just CR'd with this post, I'll reply that some of y'all have been bitching about wanting socialized healthcare for ages and now you complain when it's put into practice? What did you think was going to happen when the government decides who gets limited resources? Italy did the same thing. Spain has retirement homes abandoning olds to die.

2 wrongs don't make a right brah.  Let's try to keep this at just people calling each other fucking idiots, no need to inject the political element in the mix.

• Like 2

Don't shoot the messenger, but I work for a small O&G co here in Bexar County and my company is claiming we are absolutely essential so we are not even considering shutting down. I'd imagine there are tons of small businesses that are similarly "navigating" the language of the strongly written letter sent out. 

I'm just pissed I don't get to work from home with no pants on. Was looking forward to that!

Edited by stone oak

1 minute ago, stone oak said:

Don't shoot the messenger, but I work for a small O&G operator here in Bexar County and my company is claiming we are absolutely essential so we are not even considering shutting down. I'd imagine there are tons of small businesses that are similarly "navigating" the language of the strongly written letter sent out. 

I'm just pissed I don't get to work from home with no pants on.

I'm just pissed that the girl in your avatar never takes her shirt off all the way

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yep, County Judge of Wilco declaring same thing at same press conference.

Why are judges issuing these decrees?   Are these unincorporated areas?  It's all coming from Mayors and Governors here...

1 minute ago, stone oak said:

Don't shoot the messenger, but I work for a small O&G co here in Bexar County and my company is claiming we are absolutely essential so we are not even considering shutting down. I'd imagine there are tons of small businesses that are similarly "navigating" the language of the strongly written letter sent out. 

I'm just pissed I don't get to work from home with no pants on. Was looking forward to that!

You can still work with no pants on. 

2 minutes ago, stone oak said:

I have also received the email stating that O&G is essential.

31 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

so NYC has 25000+ cases, 780 in ICU, and 184 deaths.  looks like 3/22 deaths were 72 and 3/23 deaths were 36.  Anything we can glean from this information?

I don't think we'll ever be able to look at a 2 day trend to glean anything meaningful.  But NYC reportedly going from approximately 150 ICU Covid as of Friday to 620 (yesterday morning) to 780 today (if your stat is accurate today) is a pretty concerning 5 day trend line.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away