Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

My wife and I are taking our weekly trip to the grocery store tomorrow morning.  I also have to go to the Washington, DC building permit office in the next few days to pull a permit.  I'm not looking forward to that one.  Fucking DC doesn't do online permits.

Well my mom justified it because she was wearing an N99 (yes, N99) mask and gloves, cleaning items as she went and then cleaning items at home prior to stocking them. In addition, she would immediately wash all clothes after.
She worked in the Hazmat world before retiring. Add that, plus independent as well as stubborn you get, at least from her, a good amount of "Get off my lawn".
She's not stupid just... old.
At least she's trying. My dad was certain that he was in no danger because he was using hand sanitizer. I explained to him that the virus can transmit in droplets that linger in the air. So if someone coughs on the aisle, and you walk through it an hour later.... Surprise! You just inhaled CV.
  • Like 3

What is the protocol of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin that they are experimenting with in the USA? Like, what’s the dosage of each and when do they start giving you that? Asking for a friend.

15 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
19 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:
My sister and I got my mom to agree to pick up. She is an extremely independent woman, always has been, but I am happy to report her children pleading the case to not go in seems to have turned the tide.

I get the independence, and there's probably some of that in my dad, too. But don't these people realize the risks involved? It makes no sense to take that kind of a risk at 65+.

My mother isn't leaving her house but she had to be browbeaten to do so. I'm dropping off groceries (after sanitizing them) when needed. 

Her oven broke awhile back and they have been waiting on a part to fix it. The part came in finally and the guys wanted to come to her house to install it tomorrow. I suppose oven repair guys are officially essential now? Of course, I had a fit about letting people into her home and she was like, "Wow. I never thought of that. I'm going to cancel them right now." Jesus. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

24 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Does anyone have a link for mortality in the ICU or for patients requiring a ventilator?

I assume you want real data since you asked for a link. A doctor on the radio yesterday said if you go on one, it’s 60-40 you aren’t going to make it, biased more towards the olds and compromised. He also commented on how many of the old people, even if they improved, if they’d been vented more than 48 hrs they (or their lungs?) didn’t want to breathe on their own any more. Will look for published stats. 

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

What is the protocol of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin that they are experimenting with in the USA? Like, what’s the dosage of each and when do they start giving you that? Asking for a friend.

It's not so much the dosage, but rather the fact that it has to be administered rectally.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/therapeutic-options.html

But you can find a list of ongoing studies here. Dosage looks like Two tablets (400mg) twice daily on day 1; for days 2-5, they will be instructed to take one tablet (200mg) twice daily in this Columbia Study on symptomatic cases. Not too much info available on completed studies.

So pretty much everything is still open despite the stay at home orders right?

Pretty much every business is “essential”.

I feel bad for waiters and waitresses, bartenders, and barbers/stylists that are struggling because they actually closed.

But when Home Depot’s and Best Buy’s and even pawn shops are open, this is all just a big joke right?

Even car dealerships are open(I’m nit talking service departments but sales). Guess buying a car right now with your tax refund is “essential”

• Like 1

^^^^Buddys dealership in Dallas used the service is essential and keeping the whole place open. Receptionist, title clerks and all accounting people have to come in.

Yeah so is my family’s . They’re scared that everyone else is staying open and we’ll lose business if we don’t as well.

I want to tell them they’re being ducking stupid. But I did marry their daughter.

5 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

^^^^Buddys dealership in Dallas used the service is essential and keeping the whole place open. Receptionist, title clerks and all accounting people have to come in.

The dealer's boat ain't gonna pay for itself. Nothing beats making commissioned and/or minimum wage employees work long hours. Low overhead even if few customers walk onto the lot. And who is going to complain about their job in this climate. If you quit over the request to come in, you may lose plenty of govt benefits. Basically bosses are ruling the roost even more these days.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

How many of them went to New Orleans?

I know of at least one. A buddy's daughter went there for Spring Break and he had to drive down from Fort Worth to San Antonio to pick her up when she returned to Trinity and move her out of dorm the weekend before last. He crashed at my place in South Austin the night before getting her, but I did NOT invite them to stop and visit when done. At that point, news was already coming out of N.O. with the breakout of cases.

So far as I know, they're all still doing well but her week on Bourbon Street has resulted in some heartburn for her dad.

The dealer's boat ain't gonna pay for itself. Nothing beats making commissioned and/or minimum wage employees work long hours. Low overhead even if few customers walk onto the lot. And who is going to complain about their job in this climate. If you quit over the request to come in, you may lose plenty of govt benefits. Basically bosses are ruling the roost even more these days.

Exactly. I’ve said as much to my in-laws, but even I’m walking on eggshells. Don’t want to go find another job right now.

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Yeah so is my family’s . They’re scared that everyone else is staying open and we’ll lose business if we don’t as well.

I want to tell them they’re being ducking stupid. But I did marry their daughter.

Yea pretty sure that is what happened with his. They were closed today but guess they started talking to other dealers and no one is closing and they found out that essential business only doesn't really mean shit. Way too vague. If you want to shut shit down force it plus Dallas/Tarrant are doing it but not Collin County? Really dumb how counties that neighbor each other have different rules during this shit. 

29 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

My sister is an ER nurse in the DFw area and she says its getting bad with the 18-30 year olds. Most of which reporting having traveled for spring break.

I wonder if it's possible that they're ending up in the ER because the partying and drinking weakened their immune systems.

Yea pretty sure that is what happened with his. They were closed today but guess they started talking to other dealers and no one is closing and they found out that essential business only doesn't really mean shit. Way too vague. If you want to shut shit down force it plus Dallas/Tarrant are doing it but not Collin County? Really dumb how counties that neighbor each other have different rules during this shit. 

Yep same here. We closed today. They drove around and saw even pawn shops open, much less other dealers, and that was that.

And the thing with Collin County is it’s basically the same Damn thing as Dallas and tarrant county, just more transparent. They basically want you to go work except in very rare small cases. Collin county just didn’t pretend at all.
  • Like 1

Just now, Drew said:

Yep same here. We closed today. They drove around and saw even pawn shops open, much less other dealers, and that was that.

And the thing with Collin County is it’s basically the same Damn thing as Dallas and tarrant county, just more transparent. They basically want you to go work except in very rare small cases. Collin county just didn’t pretend at all.

I was told that HHS was driving around fining violators. Hopefully, that is true. I hate being the one following the rules while others flaunt them and force me to stay closed longer than I should.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Let’s get down to brass tacks.

Have massage parlors been deemed essential yet?

asking for a friend 

By state edict last week, all spas were shut down across the state as of last Saturday. I am part owner in one and it's going to be a grim thinning of the herd in that arena. 

Of course, I am sure what you're joking about is the rub & tug variety, and I imagine they're all finding ways to let people in through the ... back door.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

This article below is from yesterday and gives a breakdown by age if interested...

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/23/21190033/coronavirus-covid-19-deaths-by-age

They keep talking about "hypertension" like it's binary.  There's a huge difference between me, who's at 130/90 untreated and 120/75 or so treated, and my dad who is 150/100 untreated and 135/90 treated (on a good day).

34 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

no shit, FLA should have just let the spring breakers greet the cruise ship that wants to dock there.  and then call down an orbital strike.

put them ON the cruise ships. Spring jobs since their universities are all closed. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away