Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

59 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Check in on your parents. My brother (who is on this thread somewhere) realized that our 70-something dad is going to the fucking store... almost daily... for a handful of things at a time. We talked him into letting us set up delivery. WTF are people thinking.

Weeks ago, probably like a month ago I told my parents that it looks like they really should stay home. I looked into delivery services for them and told them to just start having groceries delivered and to stop going out. At first I think they were annoyed that I was telling them that, but I think they started to realize that this is serious. Especially serious for them, they have comorbidities that would could be devastating. I’m glad I told them so early. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

I know you're being facetious and don't really give a fuck but I'll indulge.

Since the beginning of March, I've been to 2 stores and to my barber. We also sent most of our admin staff to work from home 2 weeks ago but I work for a health care org that serves central Texas so we've been on top of this shit since January. The people like yourself and CTJ who don't really care about the impact outside of yourself is why this shit is blowing up now. 

But who am I to try and talk sense to someone that was still wanting to go on a ski vacation 10 days ago even when people were telling you this shit was spreading through the ski resorts. 

i'm way behind because it's been busy today but i can't wait to catch up tonight to see your ctj flogging which has surly transpired in the interim.

8 minutes ago, LABEVO said:

Man that's not good.  I feel like we're still completely in the dark with respect to reliable data in Dallas.   Spoke to a colleague who's wife is a Dr. and ran around 25 tests last week.  Zero results back as of this AM. 

• Like 1

I assume you want real data since you asked for a link. A doctor on the radio yesterday said if you go on one, it’s 60-40 you aren’t going to make it, biased more towards the olds and compromised. He also commented on how many of the old people, even if they improved, if they’d been vented more than 48 hrs they (or their lungs?) didn’t want to breathe on their own any more. Will look for published stats. 

Yeah I’d like to see some stats if anything is published. I’m asking because all of the panic over people dying for lack of ventilators, but maybe most of those people are just dying earlier for lack of ventilators.

Not saying we shouldn’t be doing everything possible to increase ICU beds and available ventilators, just wondering how much better off we would actually be if those numbers were infinite.

2 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Especially serious for them, they have comorbidities that would could be devastating. I’m glad I told them so early. 

Yeah -- I was on my folks EARLY.  They're both old, and mom is currently undergoing treatment for lung cancer.  They are obeying.  I loaded them up with a coupla weeks worth of groceries yesterday, so they should be okay -- just bored out of their skulls.

And of course, my mother had to be plain with me -- if she gets this, treat her, but no heroic measures.  She knows her odds aren't good, and she doesn't want to take up a needed ventilator when another patient with better odds might need it.  I get it.  I agree.  But the fucking fact that we're having to have these conversations.....fuck this shit.

• Like 5

WH update PC:  People who have recently visited NYC and New Yorkers who go to other states should voluntarily quarantine for 14 days, since the NYC area is the big hotspot now for the Wuhan Flu.

Yankees fans headed to Houston should quarantine for 14 years.

Edited by clapclapclap

7 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Here is the exempt list, it is very long. 

Hide contents

HEALTHCARE / PUBLIC HEALTH

• Workers providing COVID-19 testing; Workers that perform critical clinical research needed for COVID-19 response
  • Caregivers (e.g., physicians, dentists, psychologists, mid-level practitioners, nurses and assistants, infection control and quality assurance personnel, pharmacists, physical and occupational therapists and assistants, social workers, speech pathologists and diagnostic and therapeutic technicians and technologists)
  • Hospital and laboratory personnel (including accounting, administrative, admitting and discharge, engineering, epidemiological, source plasma and blood donation, food service, housekeeping, medical records, information technology and operational technology, nutritionists, sanitarians, respiratory therapists, etc.)
  • Workers in other medical facilities (including Ambulatory Health and Surgical, Blood Banks, Clinics, Community Mental Health, Comprehensive Outpatient rehabilitation, End Stage Renal Disease, Health Departments, Home Health care, Hospices, Hospitals, Long Term Care, Organ Pharmacies, Procurement Organizations, Psychiatric Residential, Rural Health Clinics and Federally Qualified Health Centers)
  • Manufacturers, technicians, logistics and warehouse operators, and distributors of medical equipment, personal protective equipment (PPE), medical gases, pharmaceuticals, blood and blood products, vaccines, testing materials, laboratory supplies, cleaning, sanitizing, disinfecting or sterilization supplies, and tissue and paper towel products
  • Public health / community health workers, including those who compile, model, analyze and communicate public health information
  • Blood and plasma donors and the employees of the organizations that operate and manage related activities
  • Workers that manage health plans, billing, and health information, who cannot practically work remotely
  • Workers who conduct community-based public health functions, conducting epidemiologic surveillance, compiling, analyzing and communicating public health information, who cannot practically work remotely
  • Workers performing cybersecurity functions at healthcare and public health facilities, who cannot practically work remotely
  • Workers conducting research critical to COVID-19 response
  • Workers performing security, incident management, and emergency operations functions at or on behalf of healthcare entities including healthcare coalitions, who cannot practically work remotely
  • Workers who support food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals, such as those residing in shelters
  • Pharmacy employees necessary for filling prescriptions
  • Workers performing mortuary services, including funeral homes, crematoriums, and cemetery workers
  • Workers who coordinate with other organizations to ensure the proper recovery, handling, identification, transportation, tracking, storage, and disposal of human remains and personal effects; certify cause of death; and facilitate access to mental/behavioral health services to the family members, responders, and survivors of an incident

LAW ENFORCEMENT, PUBLIC SAFETY, FIRST RESPONDERS

• Personnel in emergency management, law enforcement, Emergency Management Systems, fire, and corrections, including front line and management
  • Emergency Medical Technicians
  • 911 call center employees
  • Fusion Center employees
  • Hazardous material responders from government and the private sector.
  • Workers – including contracted vendors -- who maintain, manufacture, or supply digital systems infrastructure supporting law enforcement emergency service, and response operations.

FOOD AND AGRICULTURE

• Workers supporting groceries, pharmacies, convenience stores  and other retail that sells human food, animal/pet food,  and beverage products
  • Restaurant carry-out and quick serve food operations - Carry-out and delivery food employees
  • Food manufacturer employees and their supplier employees—to include those employed in food processing (packers, meat processing, cheese plants, milk plants, produce, etc.) facilities; livestock, poultry, seafood slaughter facilities; pet and animal feed processing facilities; human food facilities producing by-products for animal food; beverage production facilities; and the production of food packaging
  • Farm workers to include those employed in animal food, feed, and ingredient production, packaging, and distribution; manufacturing, packaging, and distribution of veterinary drugs; truck delivery and transport; farm and fishery labor needed to produce our food supply domestically
  • Farm workers and support service workers to include those who field crops; commodity inspection; fuel ethanol facilities; storage facilities; and other agricultural inputs
  • Employees and firms supporting food, feed, and beverage distribution, including warehouse workers, vendor-managed inventory controllers and blockchain managers
  • Workers supporting the sanitation of all food manufacturing processes and operations from wholesale to retail
  • Company cafeterias - in-plant cafeterias used to feed employees
  • Workers in food testing labs in private industries and in institutions of higher education
  • Workers essential for assistance programs and government payments
  • Employees of companies engaged in the production, storage, transport, and distribution of chemicals, medicines, vaccines, and other substances used by the food and agriculture industry, including pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, minerals, enrichments, and other agricultural production aids
  • Animal agriculture workers to include those employed in veterinary health; manufacturing and distribution of animal medical materials, animal vaccines, animal drugs, feed ingredients, feed, and bedding, etc.; transportation of live animals, animal medical materials; transportation of deceased animals for disposal; raising of animals for food; animal production operations; slaughter and packing plants, renderers, and associated regulatory and government workforce
  • Workers who support the manufacture and distribution of forest products, including, but not limited to timber, paper, and other wood products
  • Employees engaged in the manufacture and maintenance of equipment and other infrastructure necessary to agricultural production and distribution

ENERGY

Electricity industry:

• Workers who maintain, ensure, or restore, or are involved in the development, transportation, fuel procurement, expansion, or operation of the generation, transmission, and distribution of electric power, including call centers, utility workers, reliability engineers and fleet maintenance technicians
  • Workers needed for safe and secure operations at nuclear generation
  • Workers at generation, transmission and electric blackstart facilities
  • Workers at Reliability Coordinator (RC), Balancing Authorities (BA), and primary and backup Control Centers (CC), including but not limited to independent system operators, regional transmission organizations, and balancing authorities
  • Mutual assistance personnel
  • IT and OT technology staff – for EMS (Energy Management Systems) and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, and utility data centers; Cybersecurity engineers; cybersecurity risk management
  • Vegetation management crews and traffic workers who support
  • Environmental remediation/monitoring technicians
  • Instrumentation, protection, and control technicians

Petroleum workers:

• Petroleum product storage, pipeline, marine transport, terminals, rail transport, road transport
  • Crude oil storage facilities, pipeline, and marine transport
  • Petroleum refinery facilities
  • Petroleum security operations center employees and workers who support emergency response services
  • Petroleum operations control rooms/centers
  • Petroleum drilling, extraction, production, processing, refining, terminal operations, transporting, and retail for use as end-use fuels or feedstocks for chemical manufacturing
  • Onshore and offshore operations for maintenance and emergency response
  • Retail fuel centers such as gas stations and truck stops, and the distribution systems that support them

Natural and propane gas workers:

• Natural gas transmission and distribution pipelines, including compressor stations
  • Underground storage of natural gas
  • Natural gas processing plants, and those that deal with natural gas liquids
  • Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) facilities
  • Natural gas security operations center, natural gas operations dispatch and control rooms/centers natural gas emergency response and customer emergencies, including natural gas leak calls
  • Drilling, production, processing, refining, and transporting natural gas for use as end-use fuels, feedstocks for chemical manufacturing, or use in electricity generation
  • Propane gas dispatch and control rooms and emergency response and customer emergencies, including propane leak calls
  • Propane gas service maintenance and restoration, including call centers
  • Processing, refining, and transporting natural liquids, including propane gas, for use as end-use fuels or feedstocks for chemical manufacturing
  • Propane gas storage, transmission, and distribution centers

WATER AND WASTEWATER

Employees needed to operate and maintain drinking water and wastewater/drainage infrastructure, including:

• Operational staff at water authorities
  • Operational staff at community water systems
  • Operational staff at wastewater treatment facilities
  • Workers repairing water and wastewater conveyances and performing required sampling or monitoring
  • Operational staff for water distribution and testing
  • Operational staff at wastewater collection facilities
  • Operational staff and technical support for SCADA Control systems
  • Chemical suppliers for wastewater and personnel protection
  • Workers that maintain digital systems infrastructure supporting water and wastewater operations

TRANSPORTATION AND LOGISTICS

• Employees supporting or enabling transportation functions, including truck drivers, bus drivers, dispatchers, maintenance and repair technicians, warehouse workers, truck stop and rest area workers, and workers that maintain and inspect infrastructure (including those that require cross-jurisdiction travel)
  • Employees of firms providing services that enable logistics operations, including cooling, storing, packaging, and distributing products for wholesale or retail sale or use.
  • Mass transit workers
  • Workers responsible for operating dispatching passenger, commuter and freight trains and maintaining rail infrastructure and equipment
  • Maritime transportation workers - port workers, mariners, equipment operators
  • Truck drivers who haul hazardous and waste materials to support critical infrastructure, capabilities, functions, and services
  • Automotive repair and maintenance facilities
  • Manufacturers and distributors (to include service centers and related operations) of packaging materials, pallets, crates, containers, and other supplies needed to support manufacturing, packaging staging and distribution operations
  • Postal and shipping workers, to include private companies
  • Employees who repair and maintain vehicles, aircraft, rail equipment, marine vessels, and the equipment and infrastructure that enables operations that encompass movement of cargo and passengers
  • Air transportation employees, including air traffic controllers and maintenance personnel, ramp workers, aviation and aerospace safety, security, and operations personnel and accident investigations
  • Workers who support the maintenance and operation of cargo by air transportation, including flight crews, maintenance, airport operations, and other on- and off- airport facilities workers

PUBLIC WORKS

• Workers who support the operation, inspection, and maintenance of essential dams, locks and levees
  • Workers who support the operation, inspection, and maintenance of essential public works facilities and operations, including bridges, water and sewer main breaks, fleet maintenance personnel, construction of critical or strategic infrastructure, traffic signal maintenance, emergency location services for buried utilities, maintenance of digital systems infrastructure supporting public works operations, and other emergent issues
  • Workers such as plumbers, electricians, exterminators, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences
  • Support, such as road and line clearing, to ensure the availability of needed facilities, transportation, energy and communications
  • Support to ensure the effective removal, storage, and disposal of residential and commercial solid waste and hazardous waste

COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

Communications:

• Maintenance of communications infrastructure- including privately owned and maintained communication systems- supported by technicians, operators, call-centers, wireline and wireless providers, cable service providers, satellite operations, undersea cable landing stations (including cable marine depots and submarine cable ship operators), Internet Exchange Points, and manufacturers and distributors of communications equipment
  • Workers who support radio, television, and media service, including, but not limited to front line news reporters, studio, and technicians for newsgathering and reporting
  • Workers at Independent System Operators and Regional Transmission Organizations, and Network Operations staff, engineers and/or technicians to manage the network or operate facilities
  • Engineers, technicians and associated personnel responsible for infrastructure construction and restoration, including contractors for construction and engineering of fiber optic cables
  • Installation, maintenance and repair technicians that establish, support or repair service as needed
  • Central office personnel to maintain and operate central office, data centers, and other network office facilities
  • Customer service and support staff, including managed and professional services as well as remote providers of support to transitioning employees to set up and maintain home offices, who interface with customers to manage or support service environments and security issues, including payroll, billing, fraud, and troubleshooting
  • Dispatchers involved with service repair and restoration

Information Technology:

• Workers who support command centers, including, but not limited to Network Operations Command Center, Broadcast Operations Control Center and Security Operations Command Center
  • Data center operators, including system administrators, HVAC & electrical engineers, security personnel, IT managers, data transfer solutions engineers, software and hardware engineers, and database administrators
  • Client service centers, field engineers, and other technicians supporting critical infrastructure, as well as manufacturers and supply chain vendors that provide hardware and software, and information technology equipment (to include microelectronics and semiconductors) for critical infrastructure
  • Workers responding to cyber incidents involving critical infrastructure, including medical facilities, SLTT governments and federal facilities, energy and utilities, and banks and financial institutions, and other critical infrastructure categories and personnel
  • Workers supporting the provision of essential global, national and local infrastructure for computing services (incl. cloud computing services), business infrastructure, web-based services, and critical manufacturing
  • Workers supporting communications systems and information technology used by law enforcement, public safety, medical, energy and other critical industries
  • Support required for continuity of services, including janitorial/cleaning personnel

OTHER COMMUNITY-BASED GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS

• Workers to ensure continuity of building functions
  • Security staff to maintain building access control and physical security measures
  • Elections personnel
  • Federal, State, and Local, Tribal, and Territorial employees who support Mission Essential Functions and communications networks
  • Trade Officials (FTA negotiators; international data flow administrators)
  • Weather forecasters
  • Workers that maintain digital systems infrastructure supporting other critical government operations
  • Workers at operations centers necessary to maintain other essential functions
  • Workers who support necessary credentialing, vetting and licensing operations for transportation workers
  • Customs workers who are critical to facilitating trade in support of the national emergency response supply chain
  • Educators supporting public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing other essential functions, if operating under rules for social distancing
  • Hotel Workers where hotels are used for COVID-19 mitigation and containment measures

CRITICAL MANUFACTURING

• Workers necessary for the manufacturing of materials and products needed for medical supply chains, and for supply chains associated with transportation, energy, communications, food and agriculture, chemical manufacturing, nuclear facilities, the operation of dams, water and wastewater treatment, emergency services, and the defense industrial base. Additionally, workers needed to maintain the continuity of these manufacturing functions and associated supply chains.

HAZARDOUS MATERIALS

• Workers at nuclear facilities, workers managing medical waste, workers managing waste from pharmaceuticals and medical material production, and workers at laboratories processing test kits
  • Workers who support hazardous materials response and cleanup
  • Workers who maintain digital systems infrastructure supporting hazardous materials management operations

FINANCIAL SERVICES

•  Workers who are needed to process and maintain systems for processing financial transactions and services (e.g., payment, clearing, and settlement; wholesale funding; insurance services; and capital markets activities)
  • Workers who are needed to provide consumer access to banking and lending services, including ATMs, and to move currency and payments (e.g., armored cash carriers)
  • Workers who support financial operations, such as those staffing data and security operations centers

CHEMICAL

• Workers supporting the chemical and industrial gas supply chains, including workers at chemical manufacturing plants, workers in laboratories, workers at distribution facilities, workers who transport basic raw chemical materials to the producers of industrial and consumer goods, including hand sanitizers, food and food additives, pharmaceuticals, textiles, and paper products.
  • Workers supporting the safe transportation of chemicals, including those supporting tank truck cleaning facilities and workers who manufacture packaging items
  • Workers supporting the production of protective cleaning and medical solutions, personal protective equipment, and packaging that prevents the contamination of food, water, medicine, among others essential products
  • Workers supporting the operation and maintenance of facilities (particularly those with high risk chemicals and/or sites that cannot be shut down) whose work cannot be done remotely and requires the presence of highly trained personnel to ensure safe operations, including plant contract workers who provide inspections
  • Workers who support the production and transportation of chlorine and alkali manufacturing, single-use plastics, and packaging that prevents the contamination or supports the continued manufacture of food, water, medicine, and other essential products, including glass container manufacturing

DEFENSE INDUSTRIAL BASE

• Workers who support the essential services required to meet national security commitments to the federal government and U.S. Military. These individuals, include but are not limited to, aerospace; mechanical and software engineers, manufacturing/production workers; IT support; security staff; security personnel; intelligence support, aircraft and weapon system mechanics and maintainers
  • Personnel working for companies, and their subcontractors, who perform under contract to the Department of Defense providing materials and services to the Department of Defense, and government-owned/contractor-operated and government-owned/government-operated facilities

i'm sure someone else has already replied with Lloyd Dobler, but just in case...

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."

• Like 1

In this last 4-5 years my dad has gone through lung cancer and open heart surgery. Today he gets a call from his Dr. about his PET scan results. They found a spot that might need to have a biopsy on. Just what he needs. He already lost part of his lung for the cancer surgery and has issues breathing as it is just walking outside.  Just add that to the fact that he runs sales routes for Maid Rite so he's out in the public. I need to lock his ass in the house. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

They keep talking about "hypertension" like it's binary.  There's a huge difference between me, who's at 130/90 untreated and 120/75 or so treated, and my dad who is 150/100 untreated and 135/90 treated (on a good day).

Plus they lump HTN into one category....I found a good artcile last week that really discussed the virus and how it attacked the lungs and it listed some of the major preexisting factors that could make it worse. While hypertension was listed, it was mainly for people on ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers. Here's another below....

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200323101354.htm 

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I love the Brits. 

Seems dumb.  It looked liked they all were spread out, well beyond 6'.  Better to wait and step in if anyone gets reckless.  Get too heavy handed and the masses will be more likely to rebel before the quarantine has lasted long enough.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Seems dumb.  It looked liked they all were spread out, well beyond 6'.  Better to wait and step in if anyone gets reckless.  Get too heavy handed and the masses will be more likely to rebel before the quarantine has lasted long enough.

You won't fall for that law and order is a baton virus in the rib
You won't fall for that just like your mummy and your daddy did

5 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I am sure would take it. You talking a diving setup?

No, just P100 respirator. Ask and I will send. It is probably too bulky. I'm also not sure how they would sanitize mask portion.

2122230_7100156931_SF1.jpg

Edited by G650

40 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

That's sad.

Our press did a poor job at the beginning regarding what age groups this would affect. They stressed how it was affecting 70-80 yr olds and above. Teens and 20 somethings already have a feeling of invincibility (doing stupid shit & military service comes to mind, speaking from experience ) and upon them hearing that it really wouldn't effect their age group, they disregarded the danger of it even more. (See the spring break crowds on the beaches and NOLA). It was even dubbed the "boomer doomer" by them. Unfortunately, this won't be the last one to die in that age group.

Edited by BillyGoatHill

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah, but there is a flap valve inside. Not sure if bleach would destroy it. Might not, I just don't know.

Cleaning Half-Mask & Full Face Respirator Masks

Cleaning your respirator mask is recommended after each use. Here is the recommended method for cleaning a reusable respirator masks.

Remove the cartridges and/or filters attached to the mask

Clean the respirator face piece (excluding the cartridges and filters) with either a pre-packaged respirator cleaning wipe or by immersing in warm cleaning solution, water temperature not to exceed 120° F, and scrub with soft brush until clean. Add neutral detergent if necessary. Do not use cleaners containing lanolin or other oils.

Disinfect face piece by soaking in a solution of quaternary ammonia disinfectant or sodium hypochlorite (1 oz. [30 ML] household bleach in 2 gallons [7.5 L] of water), or other disinfectant.

Rinse in fresh, warm water and air dry in non-contaminated atmosphere.

Store respirator mask in a respirator storage bag away from contaminated areas when not in use.

Edited by Casual Encounter
The fresh water rinse is important.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Seger78 said:

I wonder if it's possible that they're ending up in the ER because the partying and drinking weakened their immune systems.

Kids today..... so lame and weak... One week of partying, and they're in the ER ?

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I had to take a turn in their ER once.  I was awesome.  I was the only patient in the place. 

You were the only pt. they could handle. Severe staffing problems. 

I had a procedure done there when they first opened and had the same experience. Procedure went fine and staff was professional. Nothing wrong with the staff there. Just not many of them. The place was empty. Pts. and staff.

I have other interactions with them. While I don't live in Lakeway, we are out there in that area often. I ALWAYS tell my wife to bring me into downtown should I have any type of issue.... trauma or medical.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

So the shelter in place in San Antonio is effectively nothing at all. City leaders announced that it wouldn’t be enforced. Good to know.

The company I work for already found a way around it anyway. The vague language defining “essential” within the orders didn’t really make it that difficult really. 

But yeah glad to see SA is a shitshow...

Edited by stone oak

5 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

You were the only pt. they could handle. Severe staffing problems. 

I had a procedure done there when they first opened and had the same experience. Procedure went fine and staff was professional. Nothing wrong with the staff there. Just not many of them. The place was empty. Pts. and staff.

I have other interactions with them. While I don't live in Lakeway, we are out there in that area often. I ALWAYS tell my wife to bring me into downtown should I have any type of issue.... trauma or medical.

I sent them an email today offering to come help throwing out drugs from the basement if needed.  If it comes to that, I would steer very clear of the place since I haven't practiced in a clinical setting in over a decade. 

I saw someone posted some guidelines for food safety. Did not save the link and would like to show it to a friend running a food bank. She is appalled at the varying levels groups are taking to approaching food carry out and distribution. Looked and saw some USDA requirements, but seemed was more for manufacturering. Thanks in advance. 

Amid frenzy over potential COVID-19 drug, patients see shortages and states fight reckless scripts

Enthusiasm around the drug stems partly from early learnings from a French study conducted by professor Didier Raoult and his team. In that study, 70% of patients who were given hydroxychloroquine tested negative for the virus after six days. In the control arm, only two out of 16 patients were negative after six days. Some of the hydroxychloroquine patients also received the antibiotic azithromycin; all six of them tested negative.

Despite the "small sample size," the evidence showed that "hydroxychloroquine treatment is significantly associated with viral load reduction/disappearance in COVID-19 patients and its effect is reinforced by azithromycin," Raoult wrote.

Weighing the findings, two experts told investigative journalist Mary Beth Pfeiffer the results are enough for them to recommend the treatment regimen of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin for patients who are hospitalized with COVID-19 considering the graveness of the global pandemic and lack of available treatments.

Separately, one early study from China had been characterized as a “positive” result, but Evercore ISI analyst Umer Raffat saw things differently after looking into the data for himself. Hydroxychloroquine failed to beat placebo at virological clearance rate and temperature normalization at day 7, the analyst wrote in a Monday note to clients. The drug did beat placebo at radiological progression, but the data are tough to interpret because of the size of the study, Raffat added.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away