Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Lol. Never owned a pool before. Bought in December. Took the cover off and looked so cloudy you could hide a bunch of dead bodies in there. Tested the water quality at 20 percent. 

Spent 300 and worked on the pool for a week and got it to 60%. Wife spent another $200 and worked on the pool for 3 days and it looks perfect. Tomorrow was the day to get water quality tested. Guess that isn’t going to happen. It’s clear, looks clean and smells right and the test at home looks ok- so I guess we are going swimming tomorrow. But won’t ever know if we succeeded at getting to 100% water quality. 

Wulaw,  let me help you out here.  Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda(and some Muratic Acid).  I've owned a pool for 20 years.  you should never have to spend more than 100.00 to open a pool.  Do not go to the pool store(except to have the test your water to compare to what you have.

https://www.troublefreepool.com

https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Buy their test kit also  https://tftestkits.net/test-kits-c4/

Live it, Love it, Learn it,  you will save 1000's of dollars over the life of a pool

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, stone oak said:

Nurse chick I am dating works at main Methodist here in SA. She’s saying the hospital census is incredibly low there (obviously, no elective surgeries) and they are calling off some non-full time nurses temporarily. She said the ICUs are <20% capacity.

Take that whatever way you want, just playing Simone again.

These stats are meaningless without pics. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Sigh. Even the non-vulnerable end up in the hospital at a really high rate. Do you honestly think that there are going to be no economic ramifications to an expanded body count and overwhelmed healthcare system?

None?  Of course not. Way less?  Probably so, economically. We will, I suppose, likely get to see what happens during round two after we poke our heads out again. I can’t imagine this gets handled the same way again- it’s economically ruinous. 

We have to work hard to find the least bad answer for this. I don’t think we got the balance right during round 1. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Lol. Never owned a pool before. Bought in December. Took the cover off and looked so cloudy you could hide a bunch of dead bodies in there. Tested the water quality at 20 percent. 

Spent 300 and worked on the pool for a week and got it to 60%. Wife spent another $200 and worked on the pool for 3 days and it looks perfect. Tomorrow was the day to get water quality tested. Guess that isn’t going to happen. It’s clear, looks clean and smells right and the test at home looks ok- so I guess we are going swimming tomorrow. But won’t ever know if we succeeded at getting to 100% water quality. 

FWIW i think pool stores are open...we went a couple days ago to stock up and they were saying they would qualify as 'sanitation'...can't have a lot of pools turning green and becoming mosquito breeding grounds... 

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Wulaw,  let me help you out here.  Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda(and some Muratic Acid).  I've owned a pool for 20 years.  you should never have to spend more than 100.00 to open a pool.  Do not go to the pool store(except to have the test your water to compare to what you have.

Live it, Love it, Learn it,  you will save 1000's of dollars over the life of a pool

spacer.png

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Thanks. Going to print it out or save it. I don’t know what I don’t know. I was told to go to the pool store- have them test the water and do whatever they told me 

then- I lost the instructions, probably got shit out of order- and couldn’t figure out stuff like where my filter was or how to turn off the timer to keep the pool running. This having to go back for seconds while paying my idiot tax. 

21 minutes ago, B00M said:

New York's hospitals are days from rationing care and Atlanta's aren't far behind... If the numbers remain a "rounding error" here it's because our sacrifices worked.

So about Atlanta and other Georgia hospitals......

https://www.thestate.com/news/article241460481.html

Total confirmed infections from the new coronavirus surged to nearly 1,100 across Georgia on Tuesday, with deaths rising to 38, as officials in southwest Georgia's largest city warned they're out of intensive care space.
Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/article241460481.html#storylink=cpy

Dr. Steven Kitchen, chief medical officer at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital in Albany, said during a televised briefing Tuesday that the hospital’s three ICUs are filled and the hospital improvised a fourth 10-bed unit for non-COVID-19 patients. He said that unit is full too, and that on Monday, doctors had to discharge ICU patients to make room for five patients with worsening conditions.

“We continue to see an increase in the number of COVID-19 patients in our care,” Kitchen said. “We’re quickly approaching the point of maximum capacity. We need a relief valve.”

Officials hope that relief valve will be in a second medical complex the system owns across town. Kitchen said officials are working to create new ICU and general beds there, with the state sending nurses. Georgia officials have already delivered 20 additional ventilators, Kitchen said. However, Phoebe Putney CEO Scott Steiner said in a statement that his four-hospital system needs more help, and some other hospitals won't even take non-COVID-19 patients from Albany. Dougherty County Commission Chairman Chris Cohilas said officials have opened a quarantine facility in a hotel and are sending some patients there. The facility is secured by the Georgia National Guard.
Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/article241460481.html#storylink=cpy

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

FWIW i think pool stores are open...we went a couple days ago to stock up and they were saying they would qualify as 'sanitation'...can't have a lot of pools turning green and becoming mosquito breeding grounds... 

Interesting. I assumed they would be closed (1/2 price books is) but I guess you could argue this. 

17 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Yep. That's the beauty of this whole "shutdown/social distancing" experiment that we are headlong into.  The only thing that is assured it that it will shut down our economy.  If the virus spread slows down -- the "shutdown/social distancing" experiment will be credited.  If it doesn't slow down, we'll all be accused of not appropriately following the "shutdown/social distancing" experiment.  Win/win! 

No one debates if shutdowns work to slow the spread of disease or not, except for morons like yourself. Of course shutdowns accomplish that. The only real debate is are the shutdowns worth the cost. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Interesting. I assumed they would be closed (1/2 price books is) but I guess you could argue this. 

ah, he also said a lot of their products people were/could use for 'cleaning' purposes...i assume primarily the chlorine 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I recommend helping out some of the data sites that are running ad free.  The 1point3acres site has over 73m views so they must have some large data bills. A few bucks to help them out is worth it. Not to mention the level of effort to collect data must be heavy.

Those folks are aggregating an insane amount of news - they are posting information from very local news sources, linking all of it for the entire country (they are pushing county-level news sources here in Texas).

If they simply wrote a bunch of scrapers to pull that data in, they’ve done a good job in making sure that duplicate data is culled, but also recognizing when similar-sounding data is not duplicate info, which is not an easy thing to do when you’re dealing with numerous anonymous patients in areas.   You could easy have two men between the ages of 40-49 testing positive the same day in the same city, and they are making sure to go back and track actual total confirmed cases and making sure things match up.

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

None?  Of course not. Way less?  Probably so, economically. We will, I suppose, likely get to see what happens during round two after we poke our heads out again. I can’t imagine this gets handled the same way again- it’s economically ruinous. 

We have to work hard to find the least bad answer for this. I don’t think we got the balance right during round 1. 

We need a ton of testing to be done on the population so we can really see the numbers at the end of this.  we have to be smarter.  I get the shut down foreign air travel/borders, social distancing,  and large gatherings.   maybe there are things we can do to limit numbers on flights, buses, etc without stopping it all together. take into consideration hot zones.   we will have 2 pandemics in 10 years.  We need to use the data and lessons learned on things like ventilators, respirators, to formulate a pandemic response level system.

8 minutes ago, landman said:

No, they dont. 

Good talk. 

Just to be clear, today, there's only one thing you can do to help get the economy open again: stop the spread. Stay home. Quit spewing ignorant bullshit.

35 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

we should start a CV thread of shame. it was nice weather in austin today. this is the outcome. 

anyone have Thanos on speed dial?

4ozcvepl8po41.jpg

0x121ww6lpo41.jpg

@Homercles mentioned it earlier - Cedar Park shut down their public and HOA parks

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/cedar-park-closes-parks-to-help-stop-spread-of-coronavirus

If people fuck around in Austin, they are liable to do the same thing here.  

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Thanks. Going to print it out or save it. I don’t know what I don’t know. I was told to go to the pool store- have them test the water and do whatever they told me 

then- I lost the instructions, probably got shit out of order- and couldn’t figure out stuff like where my filter was or how to turn off the timer to keep the pool running. This having to go back for seconds while paying my idiot tax. 

the pool calc and test kit is all you need my man.  put in your test numbers and it tells you exactly what to add and you don't buy anything at a pool store.  its basic high school chem.  you'll get the hang of it quick.  those guys on TPF will help you a lot as long as you have your test numbers.

End of pool store/chem side bar. 

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Right,  because the right balance would have required earlier testing and tracking of cases + isolation of the vulnerable population. We don't have that option right now, we are too far along. Right now, our option is shut down until things are under control enough that the former is possible again. That is the whole point. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

We need a ton of testing to be done on the population so we can really see the numbers at the end of this.  we have to be smarter.  I get the shut down foreign air travel/borders, social distancing,  and large gatherings.   maybe there are things we can do to limit numbers on flights, buses, etc without stopping it all together. take into consideration hot zones.   we will have 2 pandemics in 10 years.  We need to use the data and lessons learned on things like ventilators, respirators, to formulate a pandemic response level system.

Yep on the testing. I’m at the point in time where I would say it’s more important to test everyone in NYC healthy or not- to get a baseline on how many have it, spread, seriousness, accurate hospitalization and death etc. Like door to door free tests for everyone whether they want it or not. 

I’m the furthest thing from an authoritarian as possible but we need to have huge cross sections of everyone tested to figure this shit out so we can do a rational cost benefit analysis after 2 weeks are up and before deciding what to do during the next wave. 

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Might reach to some of the area restaurants that are on takeout only and see if whoever holds the sanitation/HACCP certificate for them would be willing to volunteer a day or two to train and put proper food handling in place. 

EDIT- Caterer may be better suited for that kind of operation.

That’s a good idea.  I’d be happy to show some folks proper food handling.  I still have my food manager’s license 

• Like 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep on the testing. I’m at the point in time where I would say it’s more important to test everyone in NYC healthy or not- to get a baseline on how many have it, spread, seriousness, accurate hospitalization and death etc. Like door to door free tests for everyone whether they want it or not. 

I’m the furthest thing from an authoritarian as possible but we need to have huge cross sections of everyone tested to figure this shit out so we can do a rational cost benefit analysis after 2 weeks are up and before deciding what to do during the next wave. 

Correct. 

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

You're at a health system?  That is reckless.  Most systems have divided support/admin into 3 teams for every role and sent two of the teams to WFH while 'attending' all meetings online,  and to be the on call backups for if the onsite admin/support for that role becomes ill.

State run. Leadership DGAF 

1 hour ago, stone oak said:

Nurse chick I am dating works at main Methodist here in SA. She’s saying the hospital census is incredibly low there (obviously, no elective surgeries) and they are calling off some non-full time nurses temporarily. She said the ICUs are <20% capacity.

Take that whatever way you want, just playing Simone again.

Nice humble brag, but we need pics if we are to believe that you are dating a chick.

• Like 1

Who is going to process those? It takes days to get a test back. Further, the antibody test is really the one that is needed. Something that can tell you quickly and can be done from home. Guarantee the number of cases in NYC is magnitudes times actual, and they have been around since Jan. NYC has a worse than normal flu season. This is most likely why.

1 minute ago, Hornster said:

Oxford University suggests that if Covid-19 is as infectious as stated, then far more people in UK have possibly been infected than previously thought, maybe 50% of population, and many showed little to no symptoms:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/coronavirus-may-have-already-infected-half-of-uk-study-says/

Doesn't help the surge but might mean we are closer to herd immunity than we think.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away