Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

My understanding is that the schools are still doing lunches in order to maintain the reception of funding.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way, it's cool to see the food still going out to students.

San Marcos added a hotel tax and with that and federal/state assistance provides breakfast and lunch to any student. It is not the best, but sure is better than nothing. 

One thing we were talking about is the school bus drivers were told they will paid for the year no matter what. Transportation is already budgeted. Seems like that could be a distribution system for kids who cannot get to one of the locations. Parents work, no car, whatever. A good time to look forward and find creative solutions. 

1 hour ago, RayDog said:

I just found out a friend of mine died a few days ago from an uncertain cause. He was working as a Lyft driver in Dallas, but was in Colorado buying some edibles before his trip back to the Philippines. He was 50 and made a bundle shorting the market the past few weeks, and was going to retire and marry a 20 year old Filipina. I had urged him to quit driving 10 days ago.

I guess I will hear if it was the virus eventually.

Damn that sucks, sorry to hear that. 

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They are keeping the parks and trails open for now.   

The Trail Foundation is urging residents to stay off the trail.  Non-social-distancing fuckers ruining it for everyone.

After city and county officials made the unprecedented decision to issue shelter in place orders for Austin and Travis and Williamson counties, many locals are wondering if the city's most popular hike-and-bike trail will remain open. The answer is ... technically yes, but that doesn't mean you should use it.

On March 24, just hours before Austin's stay home/work smart order goes into effect, the Trail Foundation issued a press release urging locals to stay off the Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail. The foundation admittedly doesn't have the authority to shut down the trail, but the nonprofit is urging locals to stick closer to home for the next few weeks. 

"The Trail Foundation recommends that you stay in and exercise as close to your own home as possible," says the release, adding that parts of the trail make it tricky to keep the suggested six feet of social distancing. 

“According to our trail counters, usage on the trail has not decreased in the past two weeks,” says the foundation's CEO, Heidi Anderson, in a release. “And as local media has reported and we’ve observed, many people are not practicing social distancing and other critical steps to avoid spreading the coronavirus.” 

Austin residents urged to stay off hike-and-bike trail during COVID-19 shutdown

13 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Comparing “tests per capita” and “% of tests positive” seems like a waste of time.

this.

Jersey was said to be 90% positives.  It's obvious they are being more selective concerning symptoms and who gets tested.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Has the US caught up yet on testing per capita?

This data is a few days old. Germany testing high.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing-source-data

I'm sorry, that chart is unreliable, and biased. America is not listed near the top of that chart. It's way way down there as The United Sates, almost last god dammit...  meh....

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

The interesting discussions are what is being planned downstream if CV doesn't break/ turn for improvement.  Like some unprecedented, ho-lee shit stuff...  I  hope it never happens.

Can you expand on this statement.  I am intrigued.

I'll mention here as well though I also posted in the Downtown Projects thread.

Construction sites have shut down in Austin.  I saw a bunch of construction workers walking away from their jobsites this morning.  I asked a guy and he confirmed they were being sent home.

Edited by Somnio

our office has been informally shut down for 3-4 weeks now. 

1 dude in my group has worked at the office every single day.  (when i stopped by to pick up my things, he was about the only person in the building).

today - his 2nd day working from home - he emailed us to say that hes feeling woozy, dizzy, feverish, etc etc etc.  what fucking irony    (is that what irony means?)

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

our office has been informally shut down for 3-4 weeks now. 

1 dude in my group has worked at the office every single day.  (when i stopped by to pick up my things, he was about the only person in the building).

today - his 2nd day working from home - he emailed us to say that hes feeling woozy, dizzy, feverish, etc etc etc.  what fucking irony    (is that what irony means?)

If he was the only one working in the office, isn't that just as effective as working from home? I don't know, I'm admittedly an idiot. Maybe you gave it to him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hozz said:

This thread has proven to be a prolific vehicle for people to nominate themselves for ignore.

Question for those capable of talking about the virus without predicting burning bodies in the streets...why didn't anyone freak out over H1N1/Swine Flu in 2009-10 the way people are freaking out now?  https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/h1n1-vs-novel-coronovirus-how-do-they-compare/ar-BB10vk2M according to that it killed 12K in the US, including 6K in a month from mid October 2009 to mid November 2009.  60 million infected 275K hospitalized in a year.  And I don't remember anyone closing anything or it dominating the headlines 24/7.  What is different or what has changed since then?

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

10 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

The last two days San Antonio has jumped 12 cases a day just a week ago it was 5.

2 confirmed deaths for San Antonio now.

in case it hasn't been said elsewhere - SA has community acquired cases currently. 

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If he was the only one working in the office, isn't that just as effective as working from home? I don't know, I'm admittedly an idiot. Maybe you gave it to him.

I heard a report yesterday that they have found “traces” of the virus 17 days after cruise ship was de-boarded. There was no explanation if still contagious. 

Hope a surly scientist can explain. 

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Good news, you are not required to fuck or even find attractive the same women I do.

I've no idea why people at this place want to argue with others on what some one else finds attractive.

BECAUSE GOTT DAMMIT ......... YOU'RE WROOOOOOOOOONG !!!!!!    

Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

I heard a report yesterday that they have found “traces” of the virus 17 days after cruise ship was de-boarded. There was no explanation if still contagious. 

Hope a surly scientist can explain. 

they said they found "traces" of it but didn't clarify if it was viable virus or just basically remnants

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My biggest frustration in how this whole thing has gone down is a lack of focus on the antibody tests. If the idea was to mitigate fear in people, and get them back to work weeks ago, then you should have been telling the public weeks ago that we’re working on wide scale antibody testing. Let the 40-60% of people that had mild cases or asymptomatic testing go back to work. Start the economy is pieces, make the people feel safe and there is a path back stabilize the markets. Kill 2 birds with one stone. 

im literally amazed this hasn’t been a plan front he started. Its like everyone forgot they exist in the chase for ventilators or stressing social distancing 

This whole coronavirus thing must not be a multi-trillion dollar racket opportunity for the healthcare “industry” in this country. Better focus on developing and peddling drugs to treat diabetes symptoms for life. That’s where it’s at, drugs that people need to take for the rest of their lives, not this.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My biggest frustration in how this whole thing has gone down is a lack of focus on the antibody tests. If the idea was to mitigate fear in people, and get them back to work weeks ago, then you should have been telling the public weeks ago that we’re working on wide scale antibody testing. Let the 40-60% of people that had mild cases or asymptomatic testing go back to work. Start the economy is pieces, make the people feel safe and there is a path back stabilize the markets. Kill 2 birds with one stone. 

im literally amazed this hasn’t been a plan front he started. Its like everyone forgot they exist in the chase for ventilators or stressing social distancing 

In many companies, healthy people are among the essential employees. In your plan, all of the healthy people go home and only sick people work?  It also would seem to help spread the disease.   “Amazon warehouse workers and drivers - only cv19 employees are allowed to touch packages. “

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

they said they found "traces" of it but didn't clarify if it was viable virus or just basically remnants

The test that is used is RT-PCR. That is a DNA based test. So clinicians use a test kit to isolate the RNA from the viral particles. The RNA is converted into DNA and the DNA is replicated millions of times to determine if the virus is present. However, just because viral RNA is present doesn't mean the virus can infect. It could just as easily be fragments of virus as whole virus.All the test shows is that the portion of the RNA that the test replicates was intact at the time of testing.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In many companies, healthy people are among the essential employees. In your plan, all of the healthy people go home and only sick people work?  It also would seem to help spread the disease.   “Amazon warehouse workers and drivers - only cv19 employees are allowed to touch packages. “

I look at the word “had” in his statement and assume it to mean they “had” the virus and are no longer contagious.

8 hours ago, triplehorn said:

Step into my office, because you're fucking fired!

Professor Jackie Ying, who heads the NanoBio Lab at the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*Star), and her team have come up with a rapid test that can tell if a person has Covid-19 in as little as five minutes. When approved, this would be about the fastest test out there for Covid-19.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/singapore-scientists-on-the-front-lines-of-fight-against-covid-19

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Not necessarily. The test that is used is RT-PCR. That is a DNA based test. So clinicians use a test kit to isolate the RNA from the viral particles. The RNA is converted into DNA and the DNA is replicated millions of times to determine if the virus is present. However, just because viral RNA is present doesn't mean the virus can infect. It could just as easily be fragments of virus as whole virus.All the test shows is that the portion of the RNA that the test replicates was intact at the time of testing.

If we ask you what time it is, don’t tell us how to build a watch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

I look at the word “had” in his statement and assume it to mean they “had” the virus and are no longer contagious.

That plan might work eventually. I’ve seen reports of 55k Americans currently with cv19.  350 listed as recovered.

also difficult to tell who has really recovered due to lack of tests. Harris County set to run out of tests on Thursday. No word on resupply.

23 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So, when the queen gets it and survives because she is immortal we can just use her blood as a vaccine, right?

we have to put her in a blender first to extract her life juice

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

69 total cases for San Antonio

18 community spread cases of those 69

24 new cases since Monday without a Wednesday report

2 deaths

17 of the 69 are in patients ages 40-49, with 13 between the ages 20-29. More than half, 54 percent, are males.

Nice

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That plan might work eventually. I’ve seen reports of 55k Americans currently with cv19.  350 listed as recovered.

also difficult to tell who has really recovered due to lack of tests. Harris County set to run out of tests on Thursday. No word on resupply.

I believe everyone’s assumption is that there are far more than 55k who have or have had the virus. The antibody test could confirm all of those who never knew they were infected. Your numbers are only based on confirmed tests for the virus itself, which we all know are way off.

Edited by Casual Encounter
Also, the could work alongside the healthy people.

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The test that is used is RT-PCR. That is a DNA based test. So clinicians use a test kit to isolate the RNA from the viral particles. The RNA is converted into DNA and the DNA is replicated millions of times to determine if the virus is present. However, just because viral RNA is present doesn't mean the virus can infect. It could just as easily be fragments of virus as whole virus.All the test shows is that the portion of the RNA that the test replicates was intact at the time of testing.

All of this. If enough of an RNA fragment was intact on whatever surfaces they were wiping, it could have bonded to the RT-PCR template and replicated for a positive test result without being a complete, viable, infectious virus. If the sample came from combined swabs of multiple surfaces in multiple rooms, this isn’t shocking. 

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

San Marcos starts back Monday. Rumor from some teachers is most of April will be online and there is a good chance HS will not go back. Makes sense. They go back for AP exams which college board already said are online this year, and then finals. Spectrum is working with the ISD for free access for kids. Hot Spots, etc. Lunches are rocking for free, kids still need to go and pick them up. But the Food Bank is now involved. HEB and Target are kicking ass. 

America Bitches. 

Waco just went and majorly expanded bandwidth and installed outdoor nodes at all the public libraries and other public buildings to where people could pull up in the parking areas and utilize WiFi for free.   

• Like 1

“We even had a couple of examples of prescribers trying to say that the individual they were calling in for had rheumatoid arthritis,” he said, explaining that pharmacists suspected that wasn’t true. “I mean, that’s fraud.”

In one case, Reynolds said, the prescriber initially tried to get the pills without an explanation and only offered up that the individual had rheumatoid arthritis after the pharmacist questioned the prescription.

A pharmacist in Houston, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation and violating patient privacy, said he was recently asked by a surgeon for an unusually large quantity with unlimited refills. “He said it was because his wife had lupus,” the pharmacist said, “but when I asked him for her name and diagnosis, he told me just to put it in his.”

Some people's behavior during this whole outbreak is just appalling. 

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away