Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

To keep from self doxing I'm required to be a bit vague, but I work with a lot of Universities. 

Based on my conversations with them recently it appears that for some, perhaps many, the transition to online has occurred. Mostly it seems to be functioning pretty well and there is heavy engagement from students and faculty.

Some are much further ahead than others which is primarily a resource to student ratio and student body make up.

Read - "Smarter" and technical students seem to be adapting faster. Technical Universities appear to be furthest ahead save perhaps the "Top" academic ones. Universities that already had an online presence seem to be doing well too.

It seems they are getting it figured out. Which is great.

So.... advantage, aggy?

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My biggest frustration in how this whole thing has gone down is a lack of focus on the antibody tests. If the idea was to mitigate fear in people, and get them back to work weeks ago, then you should have been telling the public weeks ago that we’re working on wide scale antibody testing. Let the 40-60% of people that had mild cases or asymptomatic testing go back to work. Start the economy is pieces, make the people feel safe and there is a path back stabilize the markets. Kill 2 birds with one stone. 

im literally amazed this hasn’t been a plan front he started. Its like everyone forgot they exist in the chase for ventilators or stressing social distancing 

Yeah.  Spot on.  Flying blind all over.  The overall recovery will be much faster (economy too) if we ramp up antibody tests   

Chicagoland has hospitals that have aggressively opened up beds and are as ready as we can be under current circumstances.  We are seeing some eye opening shit you don’t typically get with the regular flu...last night a healthy 50 yo cop needed intubation.  

Stay vigilant.  

1 minute ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Some people's behavior during this whole outbreak is just appalling. 

A few bad apples fucking shit up for everyone -- typical. That said, I have a hard time judging the hospital nurse/doctor on the front lines every day with far from ideal PPE. That's gotta be terrifying.

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In many companies, healthy people are among the essential employees. In your plan, all of the healthy people go home and only sick people work?  It also would seem to help spread the disease.   “Amazon warehouse workers and drivers - only cv19 employees are allowed to touch packages. “

No dude. In my plan the healthy people who had it and recovered go back to work with their newly proven immunity.  We’ve failed at testing in advance for who has it. Now we need to test for folks who had it and never knew it and send them back to work. Theyre doing it in South Korea. By coincidence, this is all the people who are younger and essential workers. In the current plan, those folks are working anyway and there is no knowledge of they’ve had it, failed to catch it yet, etc. 

we should be mailing out these tests, and loading the results into a database. If you show signs of antibodies and feel good, you get a green light on an app and can go about your business. If you have a red light, you don’t have antibodies and shelter in place, which is theoretically what everyone is doing now. This would allow 30% to stop doing that, or whatever percentage, because they’re already healthy and aren’t contagious. 

it would also give people more hope this is temporary and the world isn’t ending. 

• Like 4

Still want to know:

Why China's number are barely climbing.  This thing never got out of Hubei and into Beijing or Shanghai or anywhere else?

And

How Germany only as 172 deaths (as of now).   France has 2/3 the cases and 5 times the deaths

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

For those who want to, you can get your food handlers certificate online for $45. 

You can actually get it for about $7.   

https://www.learn2serve.com/texas-food-handler-certificate?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paidsearch&utm_campaign=194624844&utm_content=14533407324&utm_term=learn2serve&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhKfQ0Ny16AIVkovICh3vhgZCEAAYASACEgKFOfD_BwE

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Good news, you are not required to fuck or even find attractive the same women I do.

I've no idea why people at this place want to argue with others on what some one else finds attractive.

We just want to bitch.  Hell, a well known user inadvertently admit he likes futons crammed up his ass and 30 min later we’re all, ‘who cares bro?  You do you’ and welcomed him back.  We bitch because we love (think of your wife). 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No dude. In my plan the healthy people who had it and recovered go back to work with their newly proven immunity.  We’ve failed at testing in advance for who has it. Now we need to test for folks who had it and never knew it and send them back to work. Theyre doing it in South Korea. By coincidence, this is all the people who are younger and essential workers. In the current plan, those folks are working anyway and there is no knowledge of they’ve had it, failed to catch it yet, etc. 

we should be mailing out these tests, and loading the results into a database. If you show signs of antibodies and feel good, you get a green light on an app and can go about your business. If you have a red light, you don’t have antibodies and shelter in place, which is theoretically what everyone is doing now. This would allow 30% to stop doing that, or whatever percentage, because they’re already healthy and aren’t contagious. 

it would also give people more hope this is temporary and the world isn’t ending. 

I was saying...  many hundreds of pages back that one reason for broad testing was that once you were tested positive and recovered (again cleared by test) that individual could take on duties for the high risk folks or return to being a productive member of society.  Obviously since we did't do that we have to wait for the other test.    But that position was never addressed by the "testing is useless" crowd.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bob in houston said:

@DalTxHornFan

I created a thread just for you here

Please go there to debate this topic and don't post in this thread any more

And everyone else, when someone comes in here with this kind of shit please report and DON"T FUCKING ENGAGE WITH THEM

Please go to the thread above to debate with them

barney stinson burn GIF

32 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I appreciate it. You know, I'm really grateful for the assistance. I now see it from RollLeft's perspective and he's right. I shouldn't find her attractive nor want to fuck her. She's hideous.

Thank God you all were here to show me the light.

image.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Loco said:

I was saying...  many hundreds of pages back that one reason for broad testing was that once you were tested positive and recovered (again cleared by test) that individual could take on duties for the high risk folks or return to being a productive member of society.  Obviously since we did't do that we have to wait for the other test.    But that position was never addressed by the "testing is useless" crowd.

Well, technically an antibody test IS a test. Just a different one. But this should have been a concurrent message given weeks ago, while also trying to ramp up regular testing. Fuck, even if you tell people that this is the eventual PLAN it would quell fear and make people feel better. Like there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. And actually achieving it, shit, a huge chunk of Americans could breathe eat and return to normalcy. Markets would probably stabilize a bit. It’s basic fucking common sense, so naturally we haven’t heard work one about that kind of plan. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah.  Spot on.  Flying blind all over.  The overall recovery will be much faster (economy too) if we ramp up antibody tests   

Both antibody tests are needed as well as rapid result Covid Tests (and maybe per link above they can be one and the same?).  At least in Dallas (which I think can be extrapolated to most, if not all, of Texas), based on what has been said publicly regarding the drive-through testing and what I've heard second hand from Dr's, it's taking about 1 week to get results.  I don't know if hospitals are currently fast-tracked or not.  But regardless, we know this time last week it was pretty damn difficult to get a test.  So the current data as of today is basically worthless as an indicator of how prevalent this is in Dallas.   And the data probably won't be meaningful until at least this time next week but it will STILL be 1 week old.  So how are educated individuals (and city leaders in particular) supposed to evaluate risks?

That's just pathetic.  If we ever want to be able to open the economy back up we have to get testing figured out.  And we've been bitching about it in this thread for a fucking month now.  With so many mild cases, we can't have people get tested, start feeling better and go back to work, and then days later find out they were in fact positive and likely still viral shedding to all their co-workers.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

But that position was never thought feasible by the "virus testing is not the most important component in stopping the spread" crowd.

It was not possible to produce a test for every American prior to the spread. Social distancing was the only thing going to slow this down in our society at the point of our discussion. Antibody testing should now be the focus to get us operating as close to normal as we can. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

So an antibody test would tell you if you already had it even if you didn't realize it? 

Yup. The test looks for antibodies created to fight CV-19, so asymptomatic or immunized cases would also be identified, which would be very very helpful

7 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

It was not possible to produce a test for every American prior to the spread. Social distancing was the only thing going to slow this down in our society at the point of our discussion. Antibody testing should now be the focus to get us operating as close to normal as we can. 

With testing and back tracing we would not have needed a test for every american prior to the spread.  See S. Korea, Singapore     The people in the testing doesn't matter camp were wrong then and still are now.

• Like 2

From the Department of Nice Things, Can't Have 'em...

TO:                  Students, Staff, and Faculty

Vice President for Finance and Support Services

SUBJECT:     Sewell Park Closure

In order to best serve the interest of public health, Sewell Park on the Texas State University San Marcos Campus will close at sunset today, March 24, 2020, and remain closed until further notice. 

Texas State continues to focus on the safety of our community and will adjust procedures as needed in the coming days, weeks, and months.

Please remember these declarations and enforcements are to protect our community as we all work together to stop the spread of the COVID-19 Pandemic. 

For more information on parks from the city of San Marcos, review the  City of San Marcos Closure Notice.

12 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So, someone up thread said something about normal death rates. Here in NYC, a person dies every 9 minutes in a normal year. Per the city, we are at a total of 192 deaths. In a normal NYC day, 160 people die. Just thought we ought to put this in perspective especially since there are many times more people with this thing. Especially given as they are making harder and harder to get tested now.

I was one of those someones, and 160 per day is higher than I would have figured. 

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Texas weather starting to wake up. She’s had enough of this virus shit and will start to kill it with fire. Yeah 90+ degrees

I hope that's true, hasn't stopped it in Miami/Broward.  We have been high to mid 80's and sunny for a week or two.

I also don't get this line of thinking because I would assume that most transmission takes place indoors...  Which buildings have internal temps in the 80s/90s?

30 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Still want to know:

Why China's number are barely climbing.  This thing never got out of Hubei and into Beijing or Shanghai or anywhere else?

And

How Germany only as 172 deaths (as of now).   France has 2/3 the cases and 5 times the deaths

1. China is lying

2.  Master race..... d'uhh

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

From the Department of Nice Things, Can't Have 'em...

TO:                  Students, Staff, and Faculty

Vice President for Finance and Support Services

SUBJECT:     Sewell Park Closure

In order to best serve the interest of public health, Sewell Park on the Texas State University San Marcos Campus will close at sunset today, March 24, 2020, and remain closed until further notice. 

Texas State continues to focus on the safety of our community and will adjust procedures as needed in the coming days, weeks, and months.

Please remember these declarations and enforcements are to protect our community as we all work together to stop the spread of the COVID-19 Pandemic. 

For more information on parks from the city of San Marcos, review the  City of San Marcos Closure Notice.

This will not stand, man

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Loco said:

I hope that's true, hasn't stopped it in Miami/Broward.  We have been high to mid 80's and sunny for a week or two.

I also don't get this line of thinking because I would assume that most transmission takes place indoors...  Which buildings have internal temps in the 80s/90s?

Even if CV19 is slowed by the summer heat, we won't be out of the woods yet. The 1918 pandemic was worse in the fall because the virus had time to mutate and spread further during the summer. 

Think of it like a pot with oil burning in it. Putting a lid on it will put the fire out, but if the stuff inside is too hot, when it gets more air it'll flash right back up. 

That's the big thing that the experts have been warning of, and trying to get people ready to continue taking precautions

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

Ones with non-functioning A/C.

Edited by utee94

6 minutes ago, Loco said:

With testing and back tracing we would not have needed a test for every american prior to the spread.  See S. Korea, Singapore     The people in the testing doesn't matter camp were wrong then and still are now.

We were too far into this when we had that discussion. We aren’t set up like any country you referenced. 

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

Well whatever percentage of transmission that takes place outdoors might get eliminated by the heat, assuming that a certain temperature kills the virus that's sitting on the touchpad at your local gas station pump. 

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Even if CV19 is slowed by the summer heat, we won't be out of the woods yet. The 1918 pandemic was worse in the fall because the virus had time to mutate and spread further during the summer. 

Think of it like a pot with oil burning in it. Putting a lid on it will put the fire out, but if the stuff inside is too hot, when it gets more air it'll flash right back up. 

That's the big thing that the experts have been warning of, and trying to get people ready to continue taking precautions

True, but the biggest fear right now (IMO) is not deaths or number of positive tests, it’s overwhelming the health care system and lack of resources needed for treatment. Two things this country can solve with time and will get exponentially better with each passing week. 

If hospitals are oversupplied, population has masks and gloves and we have overflow space prepared...we can beat these bitches. But we do need time and anything that buys it is a plus. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

So how's the hangover?

Ate a pot of shells and cheese right before bed, so not too bad.

More dumbshits trying to get us all killt

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/coronavirus-covid19-austin-shelter-in-place-stay-home-order-barton-springs-pool/269-2b76272a-47f5-4b82-b116-f2f31c266c23

Edited by MissingInAction

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

Well whatever percentage of transmission that takes place outdoors might get eliminated by the heat, assuming that a certain temperature kills the virus that's sitting on the touchpad at your local gas station pump. 

Oh I agree.

5 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Someone needs to tell those Texas State Coeds that the virus can live on clothes indefinitely and that getting outside cures it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

We were too far into this when we had that discussion. We aren’t set up like any country you referenced. 

and then the CDC test was screwed up. we were behind. not sure who said testing doesn't matter. personally I did say that number of cases doesn't matter now.

we had limited tests, CDC limited who could get tested, it was clear they didn't have an easy home test, and they probably didn't want communities getting overwhelmed with everyone asking for a test.  we have a lot of dumbasses who also might have thought that "yeah, negative" means go out and party/I'm immune.

We do need to start testing fully as soon as they have tests that can give answers locally. backing up labs with tests for people who feel fine or have a cough is not the answer right now IMO.

13 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

What’s the next course of action if the social distancing and weak shelter in place orders fail to stop the rise?

Bullets

edit: South Austin beat me to it.

Edited by Iceman

19 minutes ago, Loco said:

My house, if my wife gets control of the thermostat. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away