Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

god the same, except ours was 29%. We haven't really change utilization greatly.  There may be a few more lights on during the day, but that is it.  
I keep the house at about 68-70 all the time and with shades down it doesn't require much to keep it that way. But people who run 78 when not home and 72 when home are now running 72 all the time and will see a bigger increase. Plus the TV is on a lot more during the day now.

My biggest increase is going to be water. My wife seems to think that kids that haven't been outside all day need to be taking a bath every day.

1 minute ago, Modessit said:

I keep the house at about 68-70 all the time and with shades down it doesn't require much to keep it that way. But people who run 78 when not home and 72 when home are now running 72 all the time and will see a bigger increase. Plus the TV is on a lot more during the day now.

My biggest increase is going to be water. My wife seems to think that kids that haven't been outside all day need to be taking a bath every day.

Just spray them off with lysol. 

• Like 1

Tv costs maybe pennies in electricity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NW has around 100 COVID patients hospitalized.  They still have some vent capacity but not much.  Swedish Covenant on the north side down to one vent left and starting to flood.  Latest predictions in Chicago market are a spike starting around April 1 and peaking April 14. 
Oh a fun fact that doesn't have to do much with anything but gets to some of the financials.  Hospitals clean up on electives which are on pause.  Also they are leaving as much capacity as possible bed wise...so NW currently is charging 30M less per day in their system so that's a real time hit of about 15M per day.  When you're doing billions a year that's not too crazy and I'm definitely not saying feel sorry for the bastards but just some big numbers all around. 
And does anyone have the social distancing grades by city?  Chicago was doing well but it's still cold as shit here.  That's my theory because as a whole we are certainly  no smarter around these parts. 
Stay safe out there...

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social-distancing-scoreboard

This gives IL an A due to cell phone tracking distance

In regards to Social Distancing, not sure if it goes here or the medical thread (although i've never clicked on that one), but how susceptible is one to infection at a local normal sized outdoor track? The park here was just reopened late in 2019 due to a year long remodel and the track within is huge. But with gyms closed and two mini-ish soccer fields inside the track, everyone is out there running around on nice days since the WHO called it a pandemic.

Haven't seen anyone doing team sports but there have been small clusters of people, no more than 3 or 4; and of those none of the clusters interacted.  Didn't see anyone coughing either but guess that doesn't mean much.  I've gone twice and both days were very sunny, very windy, and cold. I stayed mostly 4-6ft away from people while running around slower runners, but now wondering if it's a hotbed for transmission. I'll still run at the park since it's easy to stay 10-15ft from most people there but the track is hella nice. 

39 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh a fun fact that doesn't have to do much with anything but gets to some of the financials.  Hospitals clean up on electives which are on pause.  Also they are leaving as much capacity as possible bed wise...so NW currently is charging 30M less per day in their system so that's a real time hit of about 15M per day.  When you're doing billions a year that's not too crazy and I'm definitely not saying feel sorry for the bastards but just some big numbers all around. 

Yep, hospitals are taking this on the chin.  

43 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

NW has around 100 COVID patients hospitalized.  They still have some vent capacity but not much.  Swedish Covenant on the north side down to one vent left and starting to flood.  Latest predictions in Chicago market are a spike starting around April 1 and peaking April 14. 

And does anyone have the social distancing grades by city?  Chicago was doing well but it's still cold as shit here.  That's my theory because as a whole we are certainly  no smarter around these parts. 

Stay safe out there...

social distancing in a dense city.  good luck.

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

I’m mildly annoyed by some nurses on Facebook lecturing everyone that they should be donating masks to local hospitals, and they’re assholes if they don’t. 

I don’t understand the sentiment that people who prepared for this situation should give up their supplies to people, in the healthcare profession, that didn’t. They should be bitching at the hospital they work for being unprepared.

I say this as someone that donated masks to a local hospital.

I’ve had the same thoughts.  What I found amusing was the strategy of arguing that “the masks aren’t even meant to protect the one wearing it” in order to get people to give them away to healthcare professionals and not hoard them.

If they don’t protect the wearer, then why do the healthcare professionals want them? Riddle me that whydontcha?!?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

The person at my office who was suspected of being infected last week has been confirmed positive. I assume I did not have direct contact with this person as our HSE group hasn’t called me. But who knows if I had contact with someone that did and so in and so forth.

I thought Home Sports Entertainment went out of business a long time ago?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Much easier when it's still at freezing and the bars are closed.  

Regarding the electives, are the rooms booked solid most of the time, or will there be availability to perform the backlog along with the normal new scheduled stuff once we are past this, such that the hospitals will make up their missing income?  

5 hours ago, Hpara759 said:

There is a "hot spot" up in the Panhandle .... Small Town  Nazareth......there are 6 confirmed cases from there.....last I heard 3 on vents in Amarillo 1 in hospital (no vent yet) and 2 at home.....ages 16 thru 80's

It's in Castro Co which went on lock down yesterday.

Nazareth pop. Around 300.....% pretty damn high

Fuck, and they're all fucking related in that town.  Google Hoops of Nazareth by Wright Thompson if you want to read something amazing. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Our death rate looks really good compared to other countries. Do we have data on why?  Or still guessing the same things like touching, smoking?

Death stats lag, plus, with the exception of NYC and Atlanta, our healthcare systems aren’t overrun yet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Modessit said:
4 hours ago, Hmmm said:
You certainly did, and I countered a bit.  People like you thinking outside the box, along with those building the open-source ventilators.  There's not much different between the Raspberry Pi (you suggested) compared to the Arduino used for the open-source ventilators.  Both are primarily used for open-source projects, as I understand.

Get me the parts list and schematic/ board layout of the 80s versions of ventilator cpus and I probably have the necessary parts in the garage to build some. I can burn ROMs too if anyone has some code. No need to go full TTL.

IN.  But, depends on work which is a shit storm.  Parts list = BOM (Bill of Materials), in current industry.  Do not have a soldering iron, voltage meter, or oscilliscope (probably not needed).  Burn ROMs?  That still a thing?  Very well could be but I haven't heard that term used in a long while.

Edited by Hmmm

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Can't stress how underreported we are with those numbers.  WAY higher guys

For the sake of this thread, can we get some sort of common terminology for "confirmed cases".  I've seen the word "cases" thrown around a bunch, without knowing whether or not they are confirmed diagnosis. 

Thank you for your insight.

4 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

For the sake of this thread, can we get some sort of common terminology for "confirmed cases".  I've seen the word "cases" thrown around a bunch, without knowing whether or not they are confirmed diagnosis. 

Thank you for your insight.

It’s the Wild West with reporting and how cases are confirmed or whatever.  This gives some insight.  

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/24/coronavirus-cases-in-texas-why-the-numbers-are-different-everywhere/

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Can't stress how underreported we are with those numbers.  WAY higher guys

While true, do the numbers actually matter anymore? NYC is testing more people than anywhere in the country, but it is still hard to get tested there unless you are in really bad shape. I have several friends there now that have been trying to get tested for days, getting told no luck unless you need to be in the hospital. 

I just think the numbers are meaningless now, look at hospital numbers, follow those trends. Houston testing 500 or so a day and running out today is ridiculous. The state of Texas has failed the "testing" part of this with flying colors. Let's hope we are better on the hospital side. 

• Like 2

Our death rate looks really good compared to other countries. Do we have data on why?  Or still guessing the same things like touching, smoking?

I’d say you’re right on a lot of that...we’re real spread out as a nation besides a few pockets.

Worldometers has us at 3 deaths per 1 million people. China at 2(yea right), Germany at 2 and South Korea at 3.

Italy at 124, Spain at 78
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

While true, do the numbers actually matter anymore? NYC is testing more people than anywhere in the country, but it is still hard to get tested there unless you are in really bad shape. I have several friends there now that have been trying to get tested for days, getting told no luck unless you need to be in the hospital. 

I just think the numbers are meaningless now, look at hospital numbers, follow those trends. Houston testing 500 or so a day and running out today is ridiculous. The state of Texas has failed the "testing" part of this with flying colors. Let's hope we are better on the hospital side. 

No don’t think they matter that much right now.  When we try to move out of quarantine testing numbers and mapping where positives are vs antibody tests to see who has already had the COVID will make sense.  

Right now though, it doesn’t need to be a main priority but it would help to get more testing for sure.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Engrish
  • Like 1

Hays County going hard.  

Hays County adds curfew to stay-at-home order. The order is effective beginning at 11 p.m. March 26 through 4 a.m. April 10. A curfew from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. is in effect during that timeframe, exempting essential workers.

Is this a case of somebody telling hem they’ll get a few more points on the social distancing scale?  Are they that concerned about activities between 11pm-4am?

Saw a blurb on TV - the 17 year-old who died in California, was only confirmed after his death.  No underlying issues, had respiratory problems but wasn’t treated for them, and criteria wasn’t met for testing.  Originally listed as septic shock, and apparently covid can cause sepsis.  

Crazy thing, the family didn’t know he was the dead minor listed in the news.  It sounded like his father was also positive, and they are concerned that he spread it at the funeral from handshakes and hugs and whatnot.   I didn’t catch all of it, so not sure if they tested the father, or he was presumed positive based on symptoms.  

Edit.  More info

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-24/lancaster-teenage-boy-dies-of-coronavirus-father-also-infected

Edited by atomheartbevo

35 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m biased but the US of A still has the best fucking hospitals on the planet.  Now healthcare can be debated and let’s not go CR.  But the actual care in hospitals, should you end up in one, is the best.  

This is true if you live in a major metropolitan area. In rural areas, it's a different story. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hays County going hard.  

Is this a case of somebody telling hem they’ll get a few more points on the social distancing scale?  Are they that concerned about activities between 11pm-4am?

It makes it easier to police and cuts down on criminal mischief, which could be important if the ChiCom virus reduces the number of LEO's available or the economy gets worse as this drags on.  It also cuts down on late night partying, beer runs, shenanigans, etc. by any of the students and support riffraff still hanging around San Marcos.  Seems like a good idea. 

3 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

San Antonio now to 84 cases and 3 deaths. 3 days in a row cases jumped by 12+

3 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

I have a family member in SA working in the ER at a hospital here. They have 30 or so confirmed or expected confirmed patients. They also have drugs to continue treating those patients for the next few days, with no ETA on when they’ll receive more. 

I’m in SA and I’ll continue to just chill at home. It’s pretty apparent that the hospitals here are woefully underprepared for this.

I shared an email last week from my mom’s doctor in San Antonio. Hers’s the interesting part from this week’s email. This is not a large practice, it’s 2 docs. Like @ChiTownDocsays the real numbers at this point have to be way higher.

Dear Patients,

I hope that this email finds each of you healthy, safe, and as contented as social distancing will allow.  A friend said the other day, “We are building this ship as it sails.” 

To recap this past week:

•    My office has  tested 27 patients for Covid-19.
•    Those tests have been administered in my office with no physical contact between my staff and patients.
•    We have had 8 positive Covid-19 test results.  Those patients’ ages range from 19-67 years old.
•    The majority of those positive test results were travel related (patients coming back from Aspen, Vail, and New York).
•    All 8 patients were treated with hydochloroquine (Plaquenil) and azithromycin.  Hydochloroquine is the drug I referred to in last week’s email.  
•    4 of 8 patients have finished their treatment and are doing remarkably well.  

The two symptoms that I have observed that are always present with Covid-19 are fever and cough.   The fever is always greater than 101.5.  The reason fever is so high, is because this virus is a novel threat to human immune systems. Because we have never been exposed to this particular virus, our immune system has an aggressive reaction to it.  I have read research stating that gastrointestinal issues could be a symptom. However my office has tested 3 people who had gastrointestinal problems, low fever (below 101), but no  cough. All 3 of those patients were negative.  If you have any questions whatsoever about symptoms you are experiencing, please call me. “

• Like 4

Chitown what’s your assessment on Washington state? Or anyone you know have any opinion.

Outside of the absolute worst case scenario of the breakout in a nursing home, How do you think their out look looks like? They’ve been in this thing for well over 2 months. the connections with Asia is definitely there for all of February.

They’re on about a 7 day double for cases from 1180-2500.

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Chitown what’s your assessment on Washington state? Or anyone you know have any opinion.

Outside of the absolute worst case scenario of the breakout in a nursing home, How do you think their out look looks like? They’ve been in this thing for well over 2 months. the connections with Asia is definitely there for all of February.

They’re on about a 7 day double for cases from 1180-2500.

I’ll have to research a bit but I’m thinking they’re finally gonna see relief with numbers over the next 5-7 days while the rest of us ramp up. 

I think you were the one who asked about virility/morbidity here vs Europe/Asia.  It’s been a few days and we have more data.  I guessed at the time that we had a less virulent/potent strain.  I do think we have better hospitals but I also think our strain is weaker.  There was a good read on it after we guessed that with some facts supporting it.  I’ll dig later.  Need some rest before more chaos tomorrow.  

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’ll have to research a bit but I’m thinking they’re finally gonna see relief with numbers over the next 5-7 days while the rest of us ramp up. 

I think you were the one who asked about virility/morbidity here vs Europe/Asia.  It’s been a few days and we have more data.  I guessed at the time that we had a less virulent/potent strain.  I do think we have better hospitals but I also think our strain is weaker.  There was a good read on it after we guessed that with some facts supporting it.  I’ll dig later.  Need some rest before more chaos tomorrow.  

good luck bro. hang in there. sleep good. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away