Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Having a pretty crappy morning. And at the same time blessed. Lost my mom overseas a few days ago and there is nothing we can do about it. Old, overseas, living in a  tourist location in the carib. Sounds like this bitch virus might have been the key. 

Had a long talk with my daughter about it last night. They were quite close. This morning, my 18 year old (no pics)  walked off to volunteer at the local food bank. Said dad, we get to have a say in who and how we lose. Folks we can do this. Sorry, rant over, Just had to vent. 

Thank you all for being here. Fuck OU. 

I'm so sorry to hear that. You have my deepest condolences.

Edited by bolverk
Your daughter is a badass!
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So just walked my dog a couple of miles and I'm trying to figure out why school buses are running and picking up kids.  The elementary school in my neighborhood is closed.  It looked like middle/high school kids.  Weird. 

Taking them to isolation to preserve the human race?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

NPR has a tool at the end of this very short article where you can plug in a county and see how many ICU beds are available per 100,000 in each of the country's 300 or so health districts.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/25/819940409/icu-bed-capacity-varies-widely-nationwide-see-how-your-area-stacks-up

Thanks - people just need to know/understand that HRRs are screwy map-wise sometimes! this is a great tool that I haven't seen before!

Texas HRRs - as you can see sometimes HRRs do not follow state lines...

zAcHoJ7t

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Having a pretty crappy morning. And at the same time blessed. Lost my mom overseas a few days ago and there is nothing we can do about it. Old, overseas, living in a  tourist location in the carib. Sounds like this bitch virus might have been the key. 

Had a long talk with my daughter about it last night. They were quite close. This morning, my 18 year old (no pics)  walked off to volunteer at the local food bank. Said dad, we get to have a say in who and how we lose. Folks we can do this. Sorry, rant over, Just had to vent. 

Thank you all for being here. Fuck OU. 

Very sorry for your loss.  Good on your daughter.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

They were getting on the bus.  I live in an upper middle class neighborhood, so I wouldn't think folks around here couldn't afford to feed their own kids. 

Double negative, It's tricky

2 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Is there a specific thread for discussion of the Eran Bendavid and Jay Bhattacharya editorial? https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-coronavirus-as-deadly-as-they-say-11585088464?mod=trending_now_pos2

They're basically saying the IFR could be lower than the flu.

Fingers crossed.  Everything hinges on testing. Without it we're flying blind.  Our health care system is getting crashed into May regardless.  How long that goes on remains to be seen.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AngryBevo said:

So looks like 5 inmates at Dallas county jail tested positive and  Denton State-Supported Living Center has 6 confirmed with more expected.  Not looking good 

Kind of depends on why the are there.

Time Magazine: Blood Plasma Treatment For Coronavirus Set to Get Its First Trial Run in New York

The idea is relatively simple, and based on the concept of passive immunity. People who have recovered from an COVID-19 infection have likely done so because their immune systems developed strong immune responses to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the illness. As a key part of their response, they make antibodies, including both general microbial killers and specialized cells that target just the proteins found on SARS-CoV-2. In theory, these antibodies could be taken from a recovered COVID-19 patient, and infused into someone recently infected with the virus. “The thought is that if you passively infuse someone who is actively sick, the antibodies may temporarily help a sick person fight infection more effectively, and get well a little bit quicker,” says Dr. Bruce Sachais, chief medical officer of New York Blood Center Enterprises.

While the therapy is still experimental, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on March 24 allowed doctors to use plasma from recovered patients to treat those with “serious or immediately life-threatening COVID-19 infections” under an emergency approval system. Doctors can apply to the FDA to use it for their patients, and the agency will review the requests quickly and make decisions on a case by case basis. 

How it works:

For now, each patient will likely receive one unit of plasma, which is about 200-250 cubic centimeters. But because the amount of antibody in donors may vary, researchers are currently seeking ways to produce a more concentrated and consistent dose. Emergent BioSolutions, a biopharmaceutical company in Maryland, is working on a way to pool plasma from recovered patients and use that to create concentrated doses of antibodies, for example. That way, scientists don’t have to select out donors with the highest amount of antibodies, and can accept plasma from a wide pool of recovered patients, according to Laura Saward, head of Emergent’s therapeutic business unit.

and...horses?!

The company is also looking to other sources for the antibodies—specifically, horses. It already relies on horses to produce treatments for botulism, and its researchers are adapting that platform to produce antibody-rich plasma against COVID-19. The horses are exposed to fragments of SARS-CoV-2 and generate antibodies to the virus, and because of the animals’ sizes, the volume of plasma they produce could help to treat more than one patient at a time. “We could quickly get to the point where we have multiple horses donating plasma on a weekly basis to help continuously produce those antibody doses,” says Saward. “The thought is that a smaller dose of equine plasma would be effective in people because there would be higher levels of antibody in smaller doses.”

Full Text

Spoiler

Blood Plasma Treatment For Coronavirus Set to Get Its First Trial Run in New York

Getty Images
BY ALICE PARK 
UPDATED: MARCH 25, 2020 8:29 PM EDT | ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED: MARCH 26, 2020 7:30 AM EDT
The New York Blood Center (NYBC) is the first blood-gathering organization in the U.S. to collect plasma from COVID-19 patients to use as a possible treatment for the disease.

Before antibiotics rendered the practice moot, it was common to treat infectious bacterial diseases by infusing the blood of recovered patients into those struggling with infection. That approach has also been tried against viral infections like H1N1 influenza, SARS and MERS, with inconsistent success. Some patients benefited, but other did not and doctors don’t have a clear understanding of why. But during an evolving pandemic like COVID-19, plasma-based treatments can provide a critical stop-gap while therapies and vaccines are developed.

The idea is relatively simple, and based on the concept of passive immunity. People who have recovered from an COVID-19 infection have likely done so because their immune systems developed strong immune responses to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the illness. As a key part of their response, they make antibodies, including both general microbial killers and specialized cells that target just the proteins found on SARS-CoV-2. In theory, these antibodies could be taken from a recovered COVID-19 patient, and infused into someone recently infected with the virus. “The thought is that if you passively infuse someone who is actively sick, the antibodies may temporarily help a sick person fight infection more effectively, and get well a little bit quicker,” says Dr. Bruce Sachais, chief medical officer of New York Blood Center Enterprises.

While the therapy is still experimental, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on March 24 allowed doctors to use plasma from recovered patients to treat those with “serious or immediately life-threatening COVID-19 infections” under an emergency approval system. Doctors can apply to the FDA to use it for their patients, and the agency will review the requests quickly and make decisions on a case by case basis. 

Sachais says NYBC is ready to begin collecting blood from recovered patients who have tested negative for active viral infection, and met other requirements to ensure their plasma is safe to infuse. The first donors will likely come from hospitals who have successfully treated patients, and the donated plasma will go back to those hospitals to treat their sickest patients. This week, Mt Sinai Health System announced that it would begin working with NYBC to start treating some of its more severely ill patients with the therapy. But Sachais says he is working with other blood centers and hospitals to create a system where donated plasma can be stored and shared among them.

For now, each patient will likely receive one unit of plasma, which is about 200-250 cubic centimeters. But because the amount of antibody in donors may vary, researchers are currently seeking ways to produce a more concentrated and consistent dose. Emergent BioSolutions, a biopharmaceutical company in Maryland, is working on a way to pool plasma from recovered patients and use that to create concentrated doses of antibodies, for example. That way, scientists don’t have to select out donors with the highest amount of antibodies, and can accept plasma from a wide pool of recovered patients, according to Laura Saward, head of Emergent’s therapeutic business unit.

The company is also looking to other sources for the antibodies—specifically, horses. It already relies on horses to produce treatments for botulism, and its researchers are adapting that platform to produce antibody-rich plasma against COVID-19. The horses are exposed to fragments of SARS-CoV-2 and generate antibodies to the virus, and because of the animals’ sizes, the volume of plasma they produce could help to treat more than one patient at a time. “We could quickly get to the point where we have multiple horses donating plasma on a weekly basis to help continuously produce those antibody doses,” says Saward. “The thought is that a smaller dose of equine plasma would be effective in people because there would be higher levels of antibody in smaller doses.”

Because Emergent’s technology involves additional steps than processing plasma from one person and infusing it into another, Saward says testing of the company’s human and equine plasma will take a few months. The company plans to begin testing its products in people toward the end of the summer.

Sachais is also considering ways to concentrate the antibody in smaller doses of plasma. But in the meantime, as more people receive units of donated plasma through blood centers like NYBC, doctors will learn more about how much protection the plasma provides, and determine if it could be helpful in preventing infection in high risk people like health care workers. “We are working with national organizations as well to share our experience with them,” he says, “and potentially share inventory of plasma as time goes on, depending on how the pandemic plays out, to make sure the product is collected and distributed where it’s needed.”

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, NoName said:

yeah, the FT guy is a good follow on this - here is the specific tweet. i try to post when they are updated daily...

For fuck sake, just take iran and china off these already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Tyler is just trying to prove to the world how good their hospitals are. Gregg County (Longview) has tested 70 people. 27 negative and 3 positive with 40 still outstanding. Smith County (Tyler) has 21 confirmed cases and evidence of local spread, with one case being a postal mail carrier. Not sure how many tests they have administered, but I'd imagine they still have a lot of outstanding tests. Gregg is mandatory SiP, while Smith is doing nothing. There are a lot of people who travel back and forth between Tyler and Longview for work who work in essential industries like health care or chemicals production. Tyler is going to kill us all.

Yeah but if you end up getting sick the UTHSC is where you want to be if you have a  pulmonary illness.  They know their shit there and have for years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davidg said:

Yeah but if you end up getting sick the UTHSC is where you want to be if you have a  pulmonary illness.  They know their shit there and have for years.

do you mean actually UTHSC or do you mean UT Health-Tyler (formerly ETMC-Tyler)?

I assume you mean the second one (Level I Trauma center) not the first one, on 271. 

Edited by NoName

https://www.ksl.com/article/46733772/parolee-released-early-due-to-covid-19-breaks-into-house-threatens-woman-with-knife-police-say

Parolee released early due to COVID-19 breaks into house, threatens woman with knife, police say

Haskell, who police say had drugs and drug paraphernalia on him at the time of the incident, was previously convicted of drug-related crimes at least four other times, according to the affidavit. He also has a lengthy criminal history.

“It is of note that Haskell had recently been incarcerated at the Utah State Prison after previously being released on parole and committing a parole violation. Within in the last few days, Haskell was released from the Utah State Prison to a halfway house. ... However due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, he was suddenly released on (March 17),” police noted in their affidavit.

For the latest incident, Haskell was charged Monday in 4th District Court with aggravated burglary and aggravated robbery, first-degree felonies; aggravated kidnapping, possession of a weapon by a restricted person, and drug possession, third-degree felonies.

#unintededbutpredictableconsequences

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

If the UK really is requiring families to allow death info to be released that's just stupid. 

I can't find any link to back this up. But it isn't logical. Adding an integer to another integer has nothing to do with family consent and certainly doesn't reveal the identities to whom the integer refers to.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Skipped the last 5 pages. Has anyone addressed the current rumor that Fauci is about to be replaced by Ben Carson? NO CR. I can’t imagine this is a move that will be received well by the markets or American public if it is in fact true. 

Pretty racist imho

I'm not sure if many of you are like me, but I'm pretty much going into minimalist news intake, and figuring out that all of us only have two jobs.

1) Stay at home as much as possible so that we spread out the need for intensive care at hospitals.

2) If we do get food/order food, make sure we follow precautions.

That's it.  

Buy what you need, stay out of the way.  Stop wasting time on blaming people.  Plenty of time for that over the next few years.

We're not going to come out in a better place.  But we are going to have a foundation to solve problems better and we are going to havea better hope of getting to a better place, if not in this or the next generation, maybe a bit beyond that.

• Like 7

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away