Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Hate said:
1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:
Or you know, you could read clapclapclap's post where manufacturers have not raised prices, but retailers have, and are, in fact, gouging.  And I continue to be anti-gouging. You guys are giving excuses for a roughly 1000% increase in price. 

Read more  

Your post make me want to gouge my eyeballs out. Your original post railed against the capitalist “manufacturers”. You’ve conveniently moved the goal posts to the “resellers” which nobody here had argued against. Shut the fuck up.

Actually, the original post railed agaisnt a single manufacturer that increased its price roughly 1000%.  The subsequent post railed against retailers who are marking up masks from a different manufacturer.   In the first case, the manufacturer is gouging.  In the second, retailers and/or wholesalers are gouging.

Also quotes mean something. I did not use the plural manufacturers in my original post and have not used the word resellers at all.  So feel free to gouge your eyes out. They aren't reading very well anyway. 

I'm also still waiting to hear from you on what you believe the inputs are.  Then you can come up with an excuse as to why other products made with the same or similar inputs aren't seeing astronomical price increases. 

The real difference between us is that you will happily excuse away price gouging in an emergency. I won't.  Increased demand in an emergency calls for rationing not price gouging. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Paywalled, but it's the only source I could find at the moment:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-mandates-nursing-homes-take-covid-19-patients-discharged-from-hospitals-11585228215

New York Mandates Nursing Homes Take Covid-19 Patients Discharged From Hospitals

State cites urgent need to expand hospital capacity; doctors group says decision ‘represents a clear and present danger to all of the residents of a nursing home.’

New York told nursing-home operators that they will be required to accept patients infected with the new coronavirus who are discharged from hospitals but may be still convalescing, amid more cases in the state that are straining the health-care system.

The decision will draw pushback from some nursing-home officials, who have warned that such moves endanger residents who aren’t infected by the virus, because discharged patientsmay still be contagious....

http://www.kbur.com/2020/03/26/entire-new-jersey-nursing-home-presumed-to-have-covid-19/

Health officials in New Jersey presume all 94 residents at a nursing home have coronavirus, as the United States’ death toll surpassed 800 on Wednesday....

Chicago is looking at hotels and all other options so we don't have to do this.  It's like throwing a match and fuel into the forest during a drought.  Those nursing homes are going to be devastated...has to be a better plan. 

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

They’re twice as dense as the next closest metro I can find. 27k per sq mile vs 14.5k sq mile(Phoenix)

That’s just my guess. But it’s crazy when we see the people in these other huge metros across the country and they don’t even hold a candle to NYC

Even Chicago and Miami are 11.8

LA/Seattle 8

Your numbers for Phoenix are way off.  Its about 3K/sq mile

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If the football season ends up cancelled, the howls of their loss of the weakest schedule in America and a chance to “join the elite” will be heard in the next galaxy. 

If that happens you damn well know an undefeated plaque will go up on Pyle Field.

• Like 1

MARCH 26 2:30 p.m. — Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has issued his latest executive order to protect residents from coronavirus. This time, it's an order requiring air travelers coming into the state from New York City and New Orleans to go into a 14-day quarantine upon arrival, as well as fill out paperwork documenting their visit. 

Abbott said the process will be managed and enforced by troopers with the Texas Department of Transportation. Those who violate the order could face fines and/or jail time.

4 minutes ago, gecko said:

MARCH 26 2:30 p.m. — Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has issued his latest executive order to protect residents from coronavirus. This time, it's an order requiring air travelers coming into the state from New York City and New Orleans to go into a 14-day quarantine upon arrival, as well as fill out paperwork documenting their visit. 

Abbott said the process will be managed and enforced by troopers with the Texas Department of Transportation. Those who violate the order could face fines and/or jail time.

So is there a border check on I-10 in Orange now?

1 minute ago, gecko said:

When this is over, might just want to keep that enforced for the state of LA indefinitely

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, gecko said:

one way car rentals from NO to Austin gonna go through the roof

2 minutes ago, gecko said:

Lot's of woulda, shoulda, coulda's to come but not isolating NYC a week or so ago could be one of our biggest mistakes

next time there is an official call is  made as a pandemic all borders and intl flights need to be shut down immediately except for US citzens coming home. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

next time there is an official call is  made as a pandemic all borders and intl flights need to be shut down immediately except for US citzens coming home. 

I still dont know how/why we were flying to italy up until 2 weeks ago, and south korea until 8 days ago

fucking atrocious

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

Is the courthouse still open?  If so, how crowded is it and are they taking any special precautions?

Still open. Here now. Finally closed it to the general public on Tuesday, which means far less people. I did a stint in a felony arraignment court the other day. At least 15+ public defenders (many over 55) talking to defendants in cages from a foot away or so. Zero social distancing. Zero masks. Zero sanitary products. The presiding judge has made his bed. He's willing to let people die to keep the courts open. The Union reps from the Sheriffs, Public Defenders, and DA's have jointly sent multiple letters to the presiding judge demanding that the courts be shut as the current state will almost certainly result in sicknesses and deaths. They haven't responded. 

Edited by Foosters
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I still dont know how/why we were flying to italy up until 2 weeks ago, and south korea until 8 days ago

fucking atrocious

and then the fed govt can manage domestic travel in a vacuum without shutting the whole thing down and grinding the economy to a complete halt.

7 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

It's that serious/critical number that needs to be watched.  Once it eclipses the Italy and Spain numbers things aren't good.  Not that they are anywhere near good right now.

where are you getting serious/critical number?

I haven't been paying attention to numbers that much the last few days, but it looks like Italy's numbers (daily new cases and daily deaths) have started to level off a bit. Hopefully that's good news.

I'm not sure how you get from the point Italy is currently at to the point China and South Korea are currently at. More time locked down?

Edited by wild_turkey

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

A friend of my parents died this week from an undiagnosed infection in Savannah. COVID-19 has not been confirmed but is suspected. There won't be a funeral now because of the virus and quarantines around the country. He was a friend of mine as well but he was around 80 years old and had underlying conditions. His daughter is married to a billionaire hedge fund manager who has offices in Boston and NY and is close friends with the Clintons. The funeral ceremony whenever it takes place will have a decent number of dignitaries there. My parents are pretty torn up about it and he really was a great guy. Sucks when stuff hits close to home.

This has to be one of the most depressing humblebrags of the year.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Still open. Here now. Finally closed it to the general public on Tuesday, which means far less people. I did a stint in a felony arraignment court the other day. At least 15+ public defenders (many over 55) talking to defendants in cages from a foot away or so. Zero social distancing. Zero masks. Zero sanitary products. The presiding judge has made his bed. He's willing to let people die to keep the courts open. The Union reps from the Sheriffs, Public Defenders, and DA's have jointly sent multiple letters to the presiding judge demanding that the courts be shut as the current state will almost certainly result in sicknesses and deaths. They haven't responded. 

Can't the Governor step in here?  I assume this isn't a Federal Court.  Speaking of which, are Federal Courts open?

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If we end up at 1/10th that estimate, we will be at 200k deaths.  Note that this does NOT take into account the massive strain on our hospitals and the much higher number of critical care patients.  Also, to compare, the highest death rate we've had from the flu in the past 40 years (and note, this number is very arguable, as many believe the CDC's numbers are high) is 80k in 2018.  So, 2.5X the flu at its worst.  If we get out of this with that, it would be a big win.

Here's a thought: folks postulating that EITHER we're going to have 10k a day dying, OR that this will be no worse than the flu, are full of shit.  Toss out the best-case willful Pollyanna numbers....toss out the worst-case "we're all gonna die" numbers.  What is left in the middle...is still really fucking bad.

Eh, I was deriding an actual take he was insisting upon a few days ago using “data” (wild ass estimates) from the Imperial guy 3 weeks ago. In that part of this thread we discussed at length the reality of his view being absurd while this thing will still be plenty bad. 

59 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Do you know if any beaches are open?  Was thinking of going to Surfside tomorrow to let the kids play in the sand.  Figure I can drive far enough down the beach since I have 4WD and stay far away from people.

Not sure. My wife and kids went to the beach yesterday and said there were a few other families out there and everyone easily stayed at least 50 yards apart. They basically had the run of the place. Surfside might be handling things a little more ... hillbillyish. 

• Haha 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/nyregion/coronavirus-death-brooklyn-school-principal.html

Brooklyn High School Principal, 36, Dies from Coronavirus

The “healthy and vibrant” high school head Dez-Ann Romain was the first apparent death of a public school employee from the virus...

...Ronda Phillips, 48, the principal at Kappa V High School, which uses the same building as the academy, is also hospitalized, school officials said....

Just now, Hate said:

Can't the Governor step in here?  I assume this isn't a Federal Court.  Speaking of which, are Federal Courts open?

Yes. Our presiding judge has said the only way he is closing the courts is if the Chief Justice of the CA supreme court or the Gov orders it. Only 2 parties that can order state wide closures. Their respective decisions up to this point, have been to let each county decide how they want to handle it. 

https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/26/anthony-fauci-coronavirus-italy-chinese/

...“It’s when the new infections each day start to level off to be the same and then start going down, then you see the curve go down,” Fauci explained, saying that some countries like China and South Korea have experienced that phenomenon — but not Italy.

“Italy is not there yet. Italy got hit really badly. Almost certainly … Italy got hit very badly because they had a large number of importations from China by Chinese tourists,” Fauci said, adding that the these visitors provided the foundation for the disease to spread.

“And before they even knew what was going on, there was enough baseline people spreading that it essentially got out of hand and it became difficult for them, as good as they are, and they’re very good, to be able to contain it … it was more mitigation.”

Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said it is more difficult to predict the spread of a virus in the United States because of the sheer size of the country....

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away