Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

12 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Jeez, 140 infected in the Faroe Islands. I was just thinking, "Where is somewhat safe that I would actually want to go?" Apparently, the answer is "nowhere".

If I get the virus and find out I only have a week to live, I'm moving to College Station.  Because every day I live there would seem like a fucking eternity. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

So China is blocking entry to all foreigners? Pretty ballsy move. Maybe they know something about internal spreading we should consider. 

thats the "See, we got rid of it and don't want you to bring it here AGAIN." card

42 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Sobering numbers.

On an average day Spain has 1127 deaths countrywide.  Add 495 to that number for today.  Italy has 1690 deaths a day on average.  Add 712 to that number.  Both countries death rates are up about 42% a day.

The United States averages ~7,700 per day, just for perspective. But, Spain and Italy have significantly higher deaths rate than we do. 

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Surfside might be handling things a little more ... hillbillyish. 

If you think Surfside is hillbilly, you've obviously never been to Quintana or Sargent good sir.

• Like 1

Cornell is reaching out towards ICU trained doctors who can come to NY. They have 1000 hospitalized patients and 260 intubated in ICU. 

But maybe they don't have a handle on things and are just hysterical for no reason. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WBT said:

If you think Surfside is hillbilly, you've obviously never been to Quintana or Sargent good sir.

Hells.  YES.  And Quintana ain't hillbilly -- it's la playa, hombre.  Show up there on a summer Saturday, and there's a dude who has an entire mexican fruit market and fruit stand up. It's awesome.  Man....we're supposed to go to Surfside in August....hope we can make that work.

18 minutes ago, WBT said:

Update on this since it was asked. I just drove down to Academy to get a new cast net and some cut bait for crab traps. Didn’t have to wait in line if I wasn’t buying a fire arm, so, uh, good. Anyway, beaches were open. Now, I know there are some banshees on here just waiting to wail, so let me add that they were sparsely populated and no groups were anywhere close to each other. 

@Johnny Sack

• Like 1

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/china-supplied-faulty-coronavirus-test-kits-to-spain-czech-republic/

China Supplied Faulty Coronavirus Test Kits to Spain, Czech Republic

The majority of rapid test coronavirus test kits supplied by China to Spain and the Czech Republic are faulty, local news outlets reported.

Up to 80 percent of the 150,000 portable, quick coronavirus test kits China delivered to the Czech Republic earlier this month were faulty, according to local Czech news site Expats.cz. The tests can produce a result in 10 or 15 minutes but are usually less accurate than other tests. Because of the high error rate, the country will continue to rely on conventional laboratory tests, of which they perform about 900 a day...

...Meanwhile, Spain, which has more than 56,000 infected people and more than 4,000 coronavirus deaths, the second-highest number of fatalities in the world after Italy, found that the rapid coronavirus test kits it purchased from Chinese company Bioeasy only correctly identified 30 percent of virus cases, according to Spanish newspaper El Pais.

The director Spain’s Center for Health Alerts and Emergencies, Fernando Simón, said Spain tested 9,000 of the test kits and will return them based on their high error rate.

Studies performed on the tests which discovered the high error rate caused the Spanish Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology to recommend officially that the tests not be used.

The Chinese embassy in Spain claimed the Bioeasy products are not included in the products China has been supplying to countries where the virus has broken out.

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

The thing with this that doesn't seem to make sense is that if we assume an 80/15/5 split (or even one less sever) on minor/hospitalized/ICU then we would have seen a huge spike in people needing venting and dying from  "Pneumonia" like symptoms.   So to say Millions of people got it, it was minor, and are immune...but this occurred while no one experienced the more serious symptoms seems a reach.

Maybe Data shows that hospitals have been overwhelmed since January with patients having "pneumonia" symptoms and needing ventilation...but I don't think that is the case.

Maybe, maybe not.  Client is a California transplant lady in Texas who had  flu like conditions with a cough lasting around 4 weeks and mild pneumonia that required hospitalization back in late January. Early 70's.  

My mother had a flu and pneumonia in early February with the lingering cough.  2 weeks ago today her doc asked her to come back in, I thought they might be testing to see if it had been CV but they didn't test.  She got a call from their office yesterday telling her she has to quarantine because in that visit 2 weeks ago she was face to face with someone (presumably a nurse) who has tested positive.

They also said she should go get tested and I told her to hold off a bit, it's 14 days today and she's good so far.   If a nurse just tested positive I would think it likely happened a bit more recently and they are contacting all patients within a 14 or even longer window of potential exposure.  My thoughts on testing at this point is it might be an unnecessary risk of exposure, she has been isolating for the past 2 weeks on lake Buchanan. 

3rd is a good friends daughter was hospitalized in ICU and on a vent 2 months ago with pneumonia, 17 yrs old.   They were smoking black market pot vapes (supposedly from china though I cannot confirm) 5 days prior.   She's ok now   

Seems like an antibody test might do a better job of helping back trace when this thing actually arrived.  I dont think I have known a single person who had pneumonia, then 3 near my circle all within a few weeks of one another.  

Edited by Treefidy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

They also said she should go get tested and I told her to hold off a bit, it's 14 days today and she's good so far.   If a nurse just tested positive I would think it likely happened a bit more recently and they are contacting all patients within a 14 or even longer window of potential exposure.  My thoughts on testing at this point is it might be an unnecessary risk of exposure, she has been isolating for the past 2 weeks on lake Buchanan. 

As a member of a family that has lived on Lake Buchanan since before it was a lake, isolation never sounded so good.  I'd love to be at my Grandparents' lake house right now. 

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Update on this since it was asked. I just drove down to Academy to get a new cast net and some cut bait for crab traps. Didn’t have to wait in line if I wasn’t buying a fire arm, so, uh, good. Anyway, beaches were open. Now, I know there are some banshees on here just waiting to wail, so let me add that they were sparsely populated and no groups were anywhere close to each other. 

@Johnny Sack

spacer.png

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

@Johnny Sack

You monster!

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Wish me luck. Tomorrow I’m supposed to board the last plane taking Americans back to the USA. It’s not a commercial airline but a charter company that was hired by the US Department of State (I think). Just getting to the airport is gonna be a shitshow.

04-17-nam-fall-01.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Wish me luck. Tomorrow I’m supposed to board the last plane taking Americans back to the USA. It’s not a commercial airline but a charter company that was hired by the US Department of State (I think). Just getting to the airport is gonna be a shitshow.

Good luck, amigo.  I'm sure your family wants your ass home, and soon.

28 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Argentina.

I saw the Department of State's notice on Argentina. Yes, they are chartering commercial airliners. I was evacuated by them from Peru back in 1991 and they did it right. Fly safe and look forward to your stories. How many bottles of Mendoza wine are they allowing you to bring? 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away