Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

39 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I am soooooo excited.  

I have procured a celebrity guest lecturer to help me on my class's Zoom lectures next week.

If you're on the baseball board, you know who I'm talking about.

Major Harsin?

beerbellybeingarrested.gif

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Wait, did Med City (whatever the fuck that is) not tell you to quarantine either?  You had direct contact and they didn't say at least quarantine?  If you have direct contact with a confirmed case and get sick you should always assume you have COVID, not a god damn cold.  Advice like that is going to get a lot of people killed.  Morons. 

Med City = Medical City Hospital in North Dallas.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I’ll have to look at the Med City treatment report again. It was the exact same format and questions for both Baylor and Med City, just different logos. You do the few questions for the COVID screening and then if you hit enough symptoms they refer you to the longer questionnaire that is reviewed by a physician. They didn’t take very long to get back to me and neither said come take the test. PCP’s office is at Presby but he’s got Baylor ties.

Sorry, I'm ok with not testing.  I'm just not ok if they told you it's probably a cold and nothing else.  Like quarantine etc...

Soon we should have more tests.  By end of next week I'm guessing triple capacity which is still not enough but better...

1 minute ago, bluto said:

Any Chicago updates or things still just on the brink basically?

It's definitely getting worse but compared to NYC I guess I'd still say at the brink...plenty of PPE I'm hearing so that's good.  There's room in the hospital but the ICU's are pretty full - in preparation they set up plenty of 'reserve' ICU type beds which do have capacity.  I'm hearing April 14 peak cases so a little behind NYC which would make sense.  NYC is shitty but has certainly not peaked yet.  There's clearly more younger people getting pretty damn sick compared to the typical flu.  Also now we are seeing just how hard the bug is to combat - many have been on vents well over a week.  And if this isn't obvious, the longer you are on a vent, the worse the prognosis...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It's definitely getting worse but compared to NYC I guess I'd still say at the brink...plenty of PPE I'm hearing so that's good.  There's room in the hospital but the ICU's are pretty full - in preparation they set up plenty of 'reserve' ICU type beds which do have capacity.  I'm hearing April 14 peak cases so a little behind NYC which would make sense.  NYC is shitty but has certainly not peaked yet.  There's clearly more younger people getting pretty damn sick compared to the typical flu.  Also now we are seeing just how hard the bug is to combat - many have been on vents well over a week.  And if this isn't obvious, the longer you are on a vent, the worse the prognosis...

any of the patients getting treated with plasma?

to clarify plasma or purified polyclonals from survivors.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I’ll have to look at the Med City treatment report again. It was the exact same format and questions for both Baylor and Med City, just different logos. You do the few questions for the COVID screening and then if you hit enough symptoms they refer you to the longer questionnaire that is reviewed by a physician. They didn’t take very long to get back to me and neither said come take the test. PCP’s office is at Presby but he’s got Baylor ties.

FWIW and I posted this last night, no fever is a huge indication it’s not COVID. @ChiTownDoc can correct me on that if needed since he’s got access to a much larger sample.

Along those lines most of y’all are in larger cities where the social distancing thing is real, but if my little town is any indication there are going to be huge flare-ups in rural areas even if we manage to get this “contained” in metro areas. Port A has 3500 population, we just came off spring break with who knows how many people bringing it in, there are 2 confirmed cases of LOCALS that brought it back after they traveled elsewhere - in this case Costa Rica, 2 more suspected cases of unknown origin, and still a sizable portion of this town is just fine trying to plan the next “house crawl” since the bars are closed.

I know 1 of the confirmed cases and 1 of the probables. Rumor at least is that they and their immediate exposures haven’t exactly been model social distancers.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, justhookit said:

FWIW and I posted this last night, no fever is a huge indication it’s not COVID. @ChiTownDoc can correct me on that if needed since he’s got access to a much larger sample.

Along those lines most of y’all are in larger cities where the social distancing thing is real, but if my little town is any indication there are going to be huge flare-ups in rural areas even if we manage to get this “contained” in metro areas. Port A has 3500 population, we just came off spring break with who knows how many people bringing it in, there are 2 confirmed cases of LOCALS that brought it back after they traveled elsewhere - in this case Costa Rica, 2 more suspected cases of unknown origin, and still a sizable portion of this town is just fine trying to plan the next “house crawl” since the bars are closed.

I know 1 of the confirmed cases and 1 of the probables. Rumor at least is that they and their immediate exposures haven’t exactly been model social distancers.

The problem is we are mostly testing those with fevers.  I’m betting there’s huge swathes of younger less susceptible people getting this and it passing with no fever.  I mean less susceptible to a serious bout of illness with COVID.   Hopefully we will know more w antibody testing.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The problem is we are mostly testing those with fevers.  I’m betting there’s huge swathes of younger less susceptible people getting this and it passing with no fever.  I mean less susceptible to a serious bout of illness with COVID.   Hopefully we will know more w antibody testing.  

I'm guessing at this point 4M+ have it/had it.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Exactly. You cannot logically say much of anything until testing happens. 

Here in Oz its a person

- that has traveled, has a fever and is in the hospital. gotta be all three

OR

- has been in close contact with a positively tested person

News: most cases continue to be from people who have been abroad. 

<checks his daily list of bitching> and decides to let the crowd interpret this logical disaster on their own

My guess is we are measuring like 10 to 20% of it. Just a wild guess obviously but we are obviously underestimating this something fierce because we can't get testing done. lawd 

Edited by staboner

2 minutes ago, staboner said:

Exactly. You cannot logically say much of anything until testing happens. 

Here in Oz its a person

- that has traveled, has a fever and is in the hospital. gotta be all three

OR

- has been in close contact with a positively tested person

News: most cases continue to be from people who have been aboard. 

<checks his daily list of bitching> and decides to let the crowd interpret this logical disaster on their own

My guess is we are measuring like 10 to 20% of it. Just a wild guess obviously but we are obviously underestimating this something fierce because we can't get testing done. lawd 

Why are we only seeing 14% of tests nationwide being positive then? Iw ould expect that number to be higher if there was this massive undetected population with mild symptoms. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Why are we only seeing 14% of tests nationwide being positive then? Iw ould expect that number to be higher if there was this massive undetected population with mild symptoms. 

Theory being the mildly symptomatic don’t go to a dr or hospital or otherwise ask to be tested. 

• Like 2

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-GX-D1DKJ_/?igshid=1o9ihill6vh4t https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-GX-D1DKJ_/?igshid=1o9ihill6vh4t

@ChiTownDoc  She is supposedly in that area, idk if you have time to watch and if you can confirm but nurse in that area her report.  But damn, people like @landman maybe need to watch this to distinguish between heart disease and the flu and this, we were so unprepared with a couple months warning it’s crazy.  People here still can’t get tested that have fevers, coughs,  ect symptoms are still getting turned away still and can’t get tested that blows my mind.  That’s not political it’s just amazing to me.  South Korea had their testing ready before their first case and were able to shut it down early because of that just google their numbers and how they handled it vs us who waited till it was an issue.

Edited by Hook1997
  • Like 1

Relative felt symptoms. Went in and tested positive for flu B and strep. Dr. Said he woulda been sent for covid testing if he didnt test positive for flu b and strep. Dr prescripted azithrom. No mention of self quarantine needed.
What are chances he could still be covid positive?
Is it possible to have flu b and covid?

50 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Relative felt symptoms. Went in and tested positive for flu B and strep. Dr. Said he woulda been sent for covid testing if he didnt test positive for flu b and strep. Dr prescripted azithrom. No mention of self quarantine needed.

He should still quarantine himself with the flu. Just doesn't need to.do the 14 day thing

9 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Either vector scenario was going to be a problem. This was still a better time than Christmas break. That season is a flu accelerant like no other. The best scenario would have had this all happen two weeks prior to Spring Break and we would have locked down travel earlier.

Just something to point out here...  everyone talks about Springbreak being one fixed week in time because that is their reference...  oh no...  Spring Break is about a month/month and a half long.  Different schools let out at different times.  We usually have kids here (Ft Lauderdale) from the middle of Feb - end of March.   This year was cut short, but the waves of cruise-ship passengers hitting the beach pre or post sailing just adds to the "fun". 

19 minutes ago, Loco said:

Just something to point out here...  everyone talks about Springbreak being one fixed week in time because that is their reference...  oh no...  Spring Break is about a month/month and a half long.  Different schools let out at different times.  We usually have kids here (Ft Lauderdale) from the middle of Feb - end of March.   This year was cut short, but the waves of cruise-ship passengers hitting the beach pre or post sailing just adds to the "fun". 

Needing the kids' help during Spring planting, in agrarian times, was the origin for Spring Break hence the South starting it weeks before the North.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

9 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Haven't seen any county figures for testing, but my little Podunk county is currently batting 1000. Zero cases so far.

Now over in the "big city" they are #4 in the state at 19.

Nashville, Nashville is in trouble at 293 confirmed. However, only 3 deaths in TN total and 53 people recovered. 

Nashville warning that testing is extremely limited and not to take anything as indicators.

So moonshine is a pretty effective treatment?

7 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

MS can be the control group for the eventual academic studies of coronavirus. Unfortunately the open state borders won’t be good for neighboring states.

its easy to imagine what happened here. Local business owners are unhappy they’re forced to close due the _____ mayor. Time to call up our good buddy governor Tate who we supported. 

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

There's apparently a doc office at Preston/Belt Line that is testing. They do a flu and strep test first and then COVID-19 if those are negative. Or so my PCP has heard. The lack of available testing is really disconcerting.

because of the shortage this is what a handful of places I know of are doing. heard through the grapevine you can do a flu and a COVID-19 test with the same swab so folks are doing flu first, then if it's negative COVID-19

good luck man...

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

heard through the grapevine you can do a flu and a COVID-19 test with the same swab so folks are doing flu first, then if it's negative COVID-19

Maybe it's good practice...  but my thought as a laymen when I read this sentence...  "This is fucking america..what the fuck?"

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL, that guy could not look any more like the governor of Mississippi.  I'm assuming his campaign was just pictures of him all over with his name and the rebel flag.  Did he run unopposed? 

this is going to shock you (not really, but...)

he didn't go to Ole Miss!

Spoiler

went to Millsaps and was a KA. 

• Like 1

The conventional wisdom is to act like you have it if you have symptoms consistent with it. So self-quarantine. I read somewhere that you can have flu and covid. The odds seem pretty low, but who knows.

As far as the chances that he could be covid positive... Where does he live? Has he traveled to a hot spot or had sustained contact with someone who tested positive? Has he been going to CV parties in NYC or holed up at home in rural south Texas?

MS can be the control group for the eventual academic studies of coronavirus. Unfortunately the open state borders won’t be good for neighboring states.

States are going to start restricting travel if stuff like this goes on. No sense in having your state buckle down, only to get an influx of infected from a state that didn't when the shit inevitably hits the fan as a result of that mistake.

I see I've been cast to another thread.  Didn't think I was going political, just trying to offer another take.  Will work on playing in the sand box better.

I get this is serious, just have a lot of questions.  When I see numbers that show over 85% of all tests are negative, seems we are heading in the wrong direction with testing.  Something like 600k have tested negative to the 80k positive.  That's a lot of testing that for whatever reason is being done on people that maybe  don't need it?  In turn it is tying up doctors, staff, and using test kits that should be done on others.  Do these people have symptons, or are they panicking due to what they are hearing?  Either way, they are having an impact on hospitals, etc. 

I also am curious as to if the flu vaccine has any impact.  How many people that are positive had the vaccine?  And how many people that tested negative have had the vaccine?  Valid questions in my opinion.  

And seems the reporting a couple of weeks ago about antibiotic testing has fallen to the side.  What is going on with the test group in Washington?  Maybe I missed it.

Our family is following the rules/orders the best we can.  Staying away from folks - not ordering take-out, having conference calls, etc.  But I'm also in the essential business category (land development - public works), have a family company, and need to put food on the table.  Our son at UT is now living at home and is immune compromised.  So this is VERY serious to me.  

And why can other countries test tens of thousands and have results in minutes, and we're tripping over our selves trying to test hundreds?

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Wait, did Med City (whatever the fuck that is) not tell you to quarantine either?  You had direct contact and they didn't say at least quarantine?  If you have direct contact with a confirmed case and get sick you should always assume you have COVID, not a god damn cold.  Advice like that is going to get a lot of people killed.  Morons. 

Absolutely correct.  I was negative according to pre-screening but still had to quarantine.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away