Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

26 minutes ago, stone oak said:

LOL at people taking this seriously. Traffic has gotten progressively worse all week here in San Antonio. No one gives a shit here, for better or for worse.

Yeah, I made a trip earlier in the week to take some groceries to an elderly grandparent. The shelter in place order is a complete joke. People are out and about just like they were last week. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/25/donald-trump/trumps-boast-about-us-south-korea-coronavirus-test/

Our ruling

Trump claimed that the United States has "done more tests in eight days than South Korea has done in eight weeks."

The CDC has not put out comprehensive data on this. But independent work on the subject suggests the comparison is flawed. In eight days, the United States performed almost as many tests as South Korea did in eight weeks, but not necessarily more.

In addition, that statistic is relatively less important. The American rate of testing per capita is more than six times lower than South Korea’s. It’s certainly possible to catch up, but that hasn’t happened yet.

The president’s statement frames the data in a way that is misleading and doesn’t accurately represent the status of the American response to COVID-19. We rate it False.

Edited by Pasken
  • Like 2

Just now, StruggleBus said:

Yeah, I made a trip earlier in the week to take some groceries to an elderly grandparent. The shelter in place order is a complete joke. People are out and about just like they were last week. 

Where?  Also in San Antonio?

Roads in Austin haven't been busy at all this past week.

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I've asked this before and I'll ask it again: why does geographic spread limit our testing capability? Is our capacity to manufacture tests somehow limited by geographic spread? Or is it our capacity to administer them? And, even if geographic spread had some marginal effect, something like 80% of population lives in urban or sub-urban areas. 

Isn't the more relevant question how many resources we should be able to dedicate to testing? And, wouldn't you expect the richest and most powerful nation in the world to be able to dedicate at least the same resources per capita as South Korea?

do you really not understand how much more difficult it is to set up testing checkpoints on a country that is 99x larger by geographic spread compared to South Korea? when you have 6x fewer people and a country that is 99x smaller it is significantly easier to set up checkpoints and roll out testing. 

South Korea population density: 1302 per square mile

United States population density: 94 per square mile

even if we had ~327 million test on hand it is way more difficult to get those tests to the individuals just because of the size alone. you have 6x more people spread out across 99x more land.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Where?  Also in San Antonio?

Roads in Austin haven't been busy at all this past week.

Yes, San Antonio. 

I mean traffic is definitely way down. It's clear that many people are home. 

But there are still tons of people out fucking around. 

Just now, NoName said:

do you really not understand how much more difficult it is to set up testing checkpoints on a country that is 99x larger by geographic spread compared to South Korea? when you have 6x fewer people and a country that is 99x smaller it is significantly easier to set up checkpoints and roll out testing. 

even if we had ~327 million test on hand it is way more difficult to get those tests to the individuals just because of the size alone. you have 6x more people spread out across 99x more land.

this is why the CDC does case estimation for pandemic/epidemic.

2 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Yes, San Antonio. 

I mean traffic is definitely way down. It's clear that many people are home. 

But there are still tons of people out fucking around. 

I agree definitely a difference on the morning commute, but 281 north was just as much of a shitshow as a typical day at 5:30 PM yesterday. People are getting out just as much as they normally would in the afternoons.

Edited by stone oak
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

Why don't you explain it one more time?  I feel like we almost have the gist of your argument.

Just now, Armybrat said:

Drove around our Brushy Creek neighborhood  & county parks  - not getting out of car - saw the drive-thru testing station at 620 & Cornerwood. No cars were lined up.

interesting.  wonder if there is a restriction on who can get the test.

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Earlier this week I drove through downtown Austin on I-35 at 6PM and didn't even have to tap the brakes.  It was quite eery.

Yeah, that's been my experience around Austin as well.  Traffic is significantly down.  Spookily down.

If our neighbors in San Antonio aren't acting accordingly, though, it doesn't demonstrate a lot of hope for our efforts here.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, that's been my experience around Austin as well.  Traffic is significantly down.  Spookily down.

If our neighbors in San Antonio aren't acting accordingly, though, it doesn't demonstrate a lot of hope for our efforts here.

Maybe some of it has to do with the industries in the different cities?  Austin is so high tech heavy that moving people to WFH is much easier than San Antonio?  Just guessing.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Chorizo is a known Wuhan virus antibody.  herd immunity for the win!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Maybe some of it has to do with the industries in the different cities?  Austin is so high tech heavy that moving people to WFH is much easier than San Antonio?  Just guessing.

SA is also way more spread out and suburban

Read the new Texas Monthly article about the HEB decade old preparation planning exactly for this pandemic situation.

it is a long read, but extremely impressive. Those people should be running FEMA and the CDC.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I've always been an HEB fan, but the way they've handled this has been very impressive.  

It would be nice if they could offer up their temp store as a temp hospital for C19 patients. We need to get them all moved to big open facilities and away from patients that don't have the disease in hospitals. Does the Air conditioning work in the old Home Depot that the city owns? Maybe they can use that as well.

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

saw the drive-thru testing station at 620 & Cornerwood. No cars were lined up

I hear this in other areas too. I wonder if people aren't going because they aren't sick? Seems like we are clamoring for more testing but not taking advantages of the available tests?

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Why don't you explain it one more time?  I feel like we almost have the gist of your argument.

kept saying it wasn't posting and by the time i went and verified it posted too many times 

dunk fail GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Well, shit - I was seeing/imagining positive trends out of Italy the last few days.  

I think the positive trends would be the slowing of the spread of the disease. Still a lot of people that already have it to die. 

1 hour ago, stone oak said:

I agree definitely a difference on the morning commute, but 281 north was just as much of a shitshow as a typical day at 5:30 PM yesterday. People are getting out just as much as they normally would in the afternoons.

Machismo and being undereducated strikes again. If you drive around TH or Olmos Park its like Christmas morning. Most people who have them left for their ranches weeks ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I hear this in other areas too. I wonder if people aren't going because they aren't sick? Seems like we are clamoring for more testing but not taking advantages of the available tests?

the public stations are limited to 250 tests / day right? IIRC that is what Clay Jenkins said about Dallas...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Well, shit - I was seeing/imagining positive trends out of Italy the last few days.  

At this point, it’s just going to be riding it out. I think we’ll start seeing a bit more of the deaths move to the south in Italy just based on when quarantines went into effect. 

Look at the photos of NYC.  Tons of people lining up to get tested.  Honestly, if you didn't have it before, YOU DEFINITELY have it if you go in one of those temp tents or hospitals.  

If symptoms are mild, stay the fuck home.  Some people are going to get tested so they can be around family/gf/etc..  What part of SOCIAL DISTANCING are people not getting?

• Like 3

Just now, Pasken said:

I think the positive trends would be the slowing of the spread of the disease. Still a lot of people that already have it to die. 

Maybe- but the "cases" number is much fuzzier than the "deaths" number due to testing issues IMO.  We're nearing 2 weeks of their "quarantine," and the death rate had basically leveled off over the last 5 days or so.  This is the first jump since Saturday and the first jump of this magnitude in 10 days or so.

1 minute ago, Pasken said:

The thing is that testing really doesn’t tell us all that much once it becomes a pandemic due to testing limitations, etc. The death rate from COVID is sadly a better indicator as to the spread within a country. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I assume that means sampled that many, and those samples are now in a very long que somewhere to hopefully get processed before the sample goes bad. 

I believe the turnaround in NYC is probably pretty fast given the number of labs that are testing here.  

Other areas, not so much.

• Like 1

Bizarre opening/closing hours confuses the virus.

I

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Read the new Texas Monthly article about the HEB decade old preparation planning exactly for this pandemic situation.

it is a long read, but extremely impressive. Those people should be running FEMA and the CDC.

was that the one where the guy said the only thing they can't understand is the toilet paper rush.  the TP thing is hilarious.  no one knows how much they use but they assume it is a shitload(pun intended).  I can get food anywhere, water runs, electricity is good but If I have to shit and there is no toilet paper this is going to be a HUGE problem.

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

interesting.  wonder if there is a restriction on who can get the test.

It has to be ordered by a doctor. And a doctor can’t test you unless you meet a very rigid set of requirements, like recent foreign travel and/coming into direct contact with someone who has already tested positive. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away