Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just started reading the 247 page CARES ACT bill.  Gotta see how it impacts my line of work.  Whatever our lawyers are churning out isn't answering my questions.
Axios has an 883 page version that looks the same. I wonder what the difference is?

https://www.axios.com/2-trillion-coronavirus-stimulus-bill-4e334c5a-ac0a-4d50-848a-3eb027530421.html

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Home early.  Doing televisits.  Which means I'll have a lot of surly time.  I'll try to give fun updates when I get 'em...

Recent patient: 

Me: yeah maybe you should avoid cruises for a while...explaining she needs to quarantine herself  

Her: this one was safe because everyone had money and it wasn't a cheap cruise 

Me:

We are so fucked.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Home early.  Doing televisits.  Which means I'll have a lot of surly time.  I'll try to give fun updates when I get 'em...

Recent patient: 

Me: yeah maybe you should avoid cruises for a while...explaining she needs to quarantine herself  

Me:

Was it a cruise on Lake Michigan?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Recent patient: 

Me:

sounds like she listened to that Mexican governor who said poor people were immune and missed the "poor" part of it

44 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Oh, I agree it was too late to stop it. This thread is moving so fast, but if you back up, the point I am responding to is the claim that we were justified to wait on developing and circulating test kits. My point is that we should have been laser-focused on ramping up testing capacity by the end of January because everything we are experiencing now was foreseeable back then.

Was this close enough, genius?

On February 5 the CDC began to send out coronavirus test kits, but many of the kits were soon found to have faulty negative controls (what shows up when coronavirus is absent), caused by contaminated reagents. This was probably a side effect of a rushed job to put the kits together. Labs with failed negative controls had to ship their samples to the CDC itself for testing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.technologyreview.com/s/615323/why-the-cdc-botched-its-coronavirus-testing/amp/

Yeah, we should have rushed it a little more. Sent out on February 5th means they had been working on it for some time. Rushing it fucked it up.

Edited by Casual Encounter
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Not sure yet if this is legit, supposedly from earlier today.  He's got 16 vid clips of Hubei Bernards:

Any info on exactly what they're protesting?  Is it "keep those Hubei folks on their side of the river!" or "Y'all are brutalizing me!" or "Unweld my mom's door!" or what?

Any info on exactly what they're protesting?  Is it "keep those Hubei folks on their side of the river!" or "Y'all are brutalizing me!" or "Unweld my mom's door!" or what?

Edited by Liquor and Poker
I don't know - I just do stuff sometimes
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Dr. F had a deal on this a couple of weeks ago and I think his data was from Italy and he said it was worth looking at.  Nothing since.

agreed and that is what I meant because I saw his comment a while back.  rumor was the wrong word.  I meant it as in no one knows yet but it has been reported as possible.

33 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

We should take their fucking wall and put it on our southern border.  It's already built.  Why the fuck not?  

It is prettier than our lame ass excuse for one. To add to this, we should pump saltwater from the gulf and desalinate it so we can go whitewater rating down the Rio Grande and re-establish why the river was named as such.

3 hours ago, Snacks said:

U.S. has 330M
Italy has 65M

5x

Exactly. I don’t understand the surprise that we have surpassed them in cases despite Italy having a 2 week head start. We are, in theory, 5X more susceptible to contracting the virus due to the quantity of citizens. It’s not an apples to apples comparison.

20 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Recent patient: 

Me:

so no 3rd class/disease ridden miscreants like titanic.  sound logic. what could go wrong?

On February 5 the CDC began to send out coronavirus test kits, but many of the kits were soon found to have faulty negative controls (what shows up when coronavirus is absent), caused by contaminated reagents. This was probably a side effect of a rushed job to put the kits together. Labs with failed negative controls had to ship their samples to the CDC itself for testing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.technologyreview.com/s/615323/why-the-cdc-botched-its-coronavirus-testing/amp/

Yeah, we should have rushed it a little more. Sent out on February 5th means they had been working on it for some time. Rushing it fucked it up.
Look around, genius. No, our response was not "close enough."

Just now, dcar00 said:

agreed and that is what I meant because I saw his comment a while back.  rumor was the wrong word.  I meant it as in no one knows yet but it has been reported as possible.

If I remember correctly, Type A blood typed patients represented 75% more than O type patients with severe cases in Italy.  That sounds high and not quite right but that is the way I remember it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Got damn, I wish.  She's a smoker in her late 70's.  Husband died of lung cancer a couple years ago.  To be fair, she'll very likely live forever. 

After the call were you thinking that her husband was really lucky?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Not sure yet if this is legit, supposedly from earlier today.  He's got 16 vid clips of Hubei Bernards:

Record-keeping question: Will the eventual deaths of the protesters be counted as Coronavirus deaths?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Dr. F had a deal on this a couple of weeks ago and I think his data was from Italy and he said it was worth looking at.  Nothing since.

you cant be telling the public that one group of people are fine and others are at risk when trying to shut the whole complex down.

11 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

They are protesting the spread of corona virus by gathering together in protest.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Record-keeping question: Will the eventual deaths of the protesters be counted as Coronavirus deaths?

Corona Virus deaths aren't even being counted as Corona Virus deaths. China will probably blame these deaths on a Uighur uprising. Nothing to see here.

25 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Posted solely for the chart in the 2nd part, not for any hot takes:

That chart is terrible -- seriously, the numbers look terrifying, but the denominator matters -- it's of "confirmed cases."  And we KNOW that there are a crapton more cases that are NOT confirmed (because we don't have tests for shit).  So, the statement that "a quarter of people aged 45-54 need hospitalization" is, to put it plainly, FALSE.

A quarter of people that age, from the pool of CONFIRMED cases, which is heavily biased towards including folks who are hospitalized (if you have mild symptoms, you're being told you don't even get a test), need hospitalization.  If the number of actual cases is, say 10X the number of confirmed cases, then the actual hospitalization rate is around 2.5%.

The data is real, but the conclusion is very poorly stated, and is unduly alarmist, which actually distracts from the very real bad facts -- for example, a hospitalization rate of 2.5% is alarming enough.  So, be thoughtful in how numbers are used, so as to avoid deadening people's senses with "cry wolf" numbers.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, woohorn said:

This morning CNN took a question about O blood types being less susceptible to the virus.

Any basis in the virus world to blood types being a factor?

I saw a reasonable ex plainer for this but I can't find it.  I think it's all BS until rigorous scientific data is available.   A+ worst => O- best    Team A+  It had to do with A antigens and B antigens being more receptive to the virus.  Don't really know why that would matter because the virus invades other types of cells.

Noocyada Dhiiga Iyo dabeecadaha Dadka – Sagal News

35 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

*fooked

Proper Fooked

31 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Whoopie!  More statements with absolutely 0 action behind them.  So when they get sick in isolation they won't count towards ICU beds...smart!   We already have plague ships in bound.  

My list of folks I can't stand, Cruisers & The Dutch.   And the Dutch have some redeeming qualities

28 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah and he was one of those Jesus freaks who goes to Mardi Gras every year to try to guilt trip drunks. Those dudes should be patrolling on Ash Wednesday, not in the thick of shit. 

CSB  Was at Mardi Gras decades ago..  street preachers added to the enjoyment IMHO.  There was one guy the crowd was absolutely going crazy for.  He was dressed like Jesus and I was watching this guy bear his burden down Bourbon St.  He had a HUGE cross on his shoulder with a little wheel on the end to help him schelp it along.  It said "Trust in Jesus!"   The crowd on the other side of the street was going crazy cheering Jesus on.  When Jesus got a little way down the street, he turned around for another pass.  On this side Jesus' loin cloth was leather and the cross said "and show us your tits"

Ah life before cellphones...  /CSB

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
15 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Read more  

Look around, genius. No, our response was not "close enough."

Was referring to the timing you were bitching about, but you know that.

8 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

If I remember correctly, Type A blood typed patients represented 75% more than O type patients with severe cases in Italy.  That sounds high and not quite right but that is the way I remember it.

Type A is much more common than type O, right?

edit:  seems to be very population dependent 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away