Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, ABSR said:

After the call were you thinking that her husband was really lucky?

I was more thinking of how unlucky I am.  Right after I hung up, I went and picked out a bottle of wine for dinner...I came up with two and the wife is like 'oh, you want me to pick one?'  I just looked at her and put them on the table... 'oh, ok'.  

That should be a good warm up before we tear into the bourbon.  I'm gonna be hammered tonight.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

Corona Virus deaths aren't even being counted as Corona Virus deaths. China will probably blame these deaths on a Uighur uprising. Nothing to see here.

True.  But to clarify for those unfamiliar, those are probably not Uighurs in the videos.  Uighurs wobble but they don't fall down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That chart is terrible -- seriously, the numbers look terrifying, but the denominator matters -- it's of "confirmed cases."  And we KNOW that there are a crapton more cases that are NOT confirmed (because we don't have tests for shit).  So, the statement that "a quarter of people aged 45-54 need hospitalization" is, to put it plainly, FALSE.

A quarter of people that age, from the pool of CONFIRMED cases, which is heavily biased towards including folks who are hospitalized (if you have mild symptoms, you're being told you don't even get a test), need hospitalization.  If the number of actual cases is, say 10X the number of confirmed cases, then the actual hospitalization rate is around 2.5%.

The data is real, but the conclusion is very poorly stated, and is unduly alarmist, which actually distracts from the very real bad facts -- for example, a hospitalization rate of 2.5% is alarming enough.  So, be thoughtful in how numbers are used, so as to avoid deadening people's senses with "cry wolf" numbers.

agreed on stupidity of the chart.  i'm surprised the total is 2449 for all in the entire US for a month.

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I was more thinking of how unlucky I am.  Right after I hung up, I went and picked out a bottle of wine for dinner...I came up with two and the wife is like 'oh, you want me to pick one?'  I just looked at her and put them on the table... 'oh, ok'.  

That should be a good warm up before we tear into the bourbon.  I'm gonna be hammered tonight.  

good on you doc.  any update on the ER/hospital situation?

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

So your wife was going to make a definitive decision about dinner, and you're the victim here?   Pulease!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah I was trying to give up the alcohol during these trying times so as to improve my immune response etc.  So wife buys like 10 bottles of Jester King and brings them home.  Business partner starts stocking Bud Light in the office fridge and some of the workers bought some mini Carona's just for fun.  Why fight it.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

good on you doc.  any update on the ER/hospital situation?

It's definitely feeling like the calm before the storm...still.  Don't get me wrong, things are busy but the big wave is not here yet - that seems to be the consensus.  But it has everyone's attention because treating these patients is no fucking joke. 

• Like 2

recs on best home delivery for groceries in the Austin area? pros and cons? trying to convince the wife that she can farm this out and still get what she wants.
I know people who do Instacart and Shipt. Any app you pick isn't going to get you everything you want so you'd better be good with substitutions and available via text if you want input on those subs. Don't Gerry pissed when you can't get TP, Lysol, eggs, milk, etc. You'd be better off doing a Curbside HEB pickup because they probably get first dibs on new stock.
  • Like 1

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

It's definitely feeling like the calm before the storm...still.  Don't get me wrong, things are busy but the big wave is not here yet - that seems to be the consensus.  But it has everyone's attention because treating these patients is no fucking joke. 

may we avoid the hurricane. hoping NYC is a huge outlier.   I can't imagine all the prep work just to go in to see a patient.  

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

may we avoid the hurricane. hoping NYC is a huge outlier.   I can't imagine all the prep work just to go in to see a patient.  

Fuck me...that's the worst.  Takes forever to put the damn PPE on then take it all off and do it all over again.  So many patients on isolation now - not necessarily COVID, but with lack of testing you treat everyone with extreme caution.  That's the biggest pain in the ass for me.  A partner has a husband with brain cancer so she's working from home...I just tell myself I'm lucky I don't have to worry about getting it at least.  I can't imagine that stress on top of everything else.  

• Like 1

I just had a delivery of Hot-sauce show up at the door.  Was excited till I remembered they are in Brooklyn.  Yeah that package is going to sit on the porch for a few days.

Los Calientes is damned good btw

40 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Home early.  Doing televisits.  Which means I'll have a lot of surly time.  I'll try to give fun updates when I get 'em...

Recent patient: 

Me: yeah maybe you should avoid cruises for a while...explaining she needs to quarantine herself  

Her: this one was safe because everyone had money and it wasn't a cheap cruise 

Me:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Fuck me...that's the worst.  Takes forever to put the damn PPE on then take it all off and do it all over again.  So many patients on isolation now - not necessarily COVID, but with lack of testing you treat everyone with extreme caution.  That's the biggest pain in the ass for me.  A partner has a husband with brain cancer so she's working from home...I just tell myself I'm lucky I don't have to worry about getting it at least.  I can't imagine that stress on top of everything else.  

I figured it was.  time consuming shit that you HAVE to do.  need to find some way to be more efficient.  better for everyone(doc/nurse/patient/public)

I hate to say it but this is where robots could be very useful. not to replace docs/nurses obviously but in these types of situations specifically.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

If I remember correctly, Type A blood typed patients represented 75% more than O type patients with severe cases in Italy.  That sounds high and not quite right but that is the way I remember it.

But portion of the population are Type A vs. Type O?

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I figured it was.  time consuming shit that you HAVE to do.  need to find some way to be more efficient.  better for everyone(doc/nurse/patient/public)

I hate to say it but this is where robots could be very useful.

Well yeah, until they become sentient and take over...

I still think the most important question from this week is, would we consider posting about Brittney Spears to be Cloak Room, because her calls for wealth redistribution have a decidedly political angle? Or is it not Cloak Room, because no matter their politics, all red-blooded American males still want to see her naked?

fc4614b1-d8c8-479c-a304-43dd3345328e.jpeg?width=780&height=520&rect=1560x1040&offset=0x0

You may now return to your regularly scheduled dissection of charts and graphs.

Worst part about that is I made the mistake of going to NextDoor and just reading the crap on their made my eyes bleed (no ebola). The amount of it is just a flu and open everything up still in Central Texas amazes me. One dude was confronted with Spain/Italy and his response was they are just weaker people than we are. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Social distancing seems to be a problem there.

The people of China and the regime have a tapdancing on a toothpick relationship.  Honor is still very ingrained in culture, and a lot of them are fucking pissed about how this ordeal is shaking out. 

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Worst part about that is I made the mistake of going to NextDoor and just reading the crap on their made my eyes bleed (no ebola). The amount of it is just a flu and open everything up still in Central Texas amazes me. One dude was confronted with Spain/Italy and his response was they are just weaker people than we are. 

I've noticed a recent flood of "I got sick with something back in February.  It was bad, but I got over it in about a week.  It was probably Corona."

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

that place is worse than cloak room. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NoName said:

i guess we know why their numbers were so low! look at that failure rate! 

So what's going to happen is that China in their infinite wisdom will insist they are correct, continue to use them and wipe out most of their population.  OK cool, Hook 'Em..   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

Someone do the math (I was a history major) but haven't we doubled yesterday's death rate today?

not yet,  we are flat now but there is still more day to go.  Michigan had a fatality spike today though.  they doubled.

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Was this close enough, genius?

Yeah, we should have rushed it a little more. Sent out on February 5th means they had been working on it for some time. Rushing it fucked it up.

Trying to do it ourselves, instead of contracting it out, was the fuckup.  Genius.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Someone do the math (I was a history major) but haven't we doubled yesterday's death rate today?

Mar 17 to March 27 

16 / 23 / 42 / 0 / 110 / 80 / 131 / 119 / 211 / 249 / 246 [1/2 day so far] 

Death rate double time of 3 days.  So in about 6 days we are facing a 1000 deaths per day.  2000 deaths per day 3 days after that. 

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Mar 17 to March 27 

16 / 23 / 42 / 0 / 110 / 80 / 131 / 119 / 211 / 249 / 246 [1/2 day so far] 

Death rate double time of 3 days.  So in about 6 days we are facing a 1000 deaths per day.  2000 deaths per day 3 days after that. 

That’s 32,000 per day in 3 weeks just doing math. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away