Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Trying to do it ourselves, instead of contracting it out, was the fuckup.  Genius.

Again, my response was only regarding his claim that nothing was being done in January pursuant to testing but I’ve already gathered your reading comprehension may be lacking, just like his. It was quite obvious it wasn’t being done correctly and pointed out in my response so you can find someone else to argue with about that fact. Or continue to argue with yourself.

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

That’s 32,000 per day in 3 weeks just doing math. 

That's with no brakes and unlimited fuel.  So we shouldn't see that.  But even "stalling" the curve at 2000-5000 deaths per day for a week or two takes a heavy toll.  Could easily end up being worse than that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

not yet,  we are flat now but there is still more day to go.  Michigan had a fatality spike today though.  they doubled.

We're consistently getting a big batch from New York around 7 or 8 central. We're likely to top 300 today. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Again, my response was only regarding his claim that nothing was being done in January pursuant to testing but I’ve already gathered your reading comprehension may be lacking, just like his. It was quite obvious it wasn’t being done correctly and pointed out in my response so you can find someone else to argue with about that fact. Or continue to argue with yourself.

I'll break it down for you in simple sentences.  His statement was "we should have been laser-focused on ramping up testing capacity by the end of January" to which you condescendingly called him a "genius" because the CDC has already managed to fuck up testing kits by early February.  To Mike's point, if we were "laser-focused on ramping up testing capacity by the end of January" - the clear and obvious way to do that was by buying in mass the tests that already existed (which we had the option to do). Not starting from scratch.  Even if CDC's test actually worked, we wouldn't have been in a position to do mass testing/screening at hospitals in every metro and contract trace by early February.  That would have avoided (or at least significantly delayed) the mess we're in now.  At a minimum if we were "laser-focused on ramping up testing by end of January" it would have bought us time to replenish PPE and ramp up ventilator production.  And I would be procrastinating doing work at my uptown office right now instead of my upstairs bedroom.   So Mike's point was correct, and your reply wasn't responsive.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'll break it down for you in simple sentences.  His statement was "we should have been laser-focused on ramping up testing capacity by the end of January" to which you condescendingly called him a "genius" because the CDC has already managed to fuck up testing kits by early February.  To Mike's point, if we were "laser-focused on ramping up testing capacity by the end of January" - the clear and obvious way to do that was by buying in mass the tests that already existed (which we had the option to do). Not starting from scratch.  Even if CDC's test actually worked, we wouldn't have been in a position to do mass testing/screening at hospitals in every metro and contract trace by early February.  That would have avoided (or at least significantly delayed) the mess we're in now.  At a minimum if we were "laser-focused on ramping up testing by end of January" it would have bought us time to replenish PPE and ramp up ventilator production.  And I would be procrastinating doing work at my uptown office right now instead of my upstairs bedroom.   So Mike's point was correct, and your reply wasn't responsive.

Cool.  Especially considering other countries are now finding out the existing test kits for this virus are between 30-50% accurate and they’re now throwing them out.  Perhaps the CDC tests were based on the same tests, and we realized right fucking quick that they were shit tests with shit accuracy.  But that’s just a thought 

• Like 4

Have a buddy who works in urology who provided this today. 

UT Austin provided this data to all the area hospital systems in the area. 

From March 23rd to AUG 17

Cases: 1,562,949

Hospitalizations: 61k

ICU: 10,307

Ventilators 6,871  (86 percent death rate)

Deaths: 6k (Death rate about 10% of those hospitalized)

His word: Stay the fuck home

Edited by Blackcat00

4 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

I take all my advice from people who chose “looking at wieners” as a profession

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Read an article just now that said that the “mixed drinks” allowed to be sold by restaurants to go does not include margaritas or any of those kind of drinks. Only beer, wine, and sealed liquor no more than 375 ml. 

Damn it, we were gonna pick up some Hopdoddy this weekend and some frozen margs. But I guess we simple citizens can’t be trusted to buy margaritas like that or else the debbil will get us. 

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

There are 50,000 physicians and 273,000 RNs in New York State. Double that number for ancillary workers and you have 650,000 healthcare workers in the state. If you gave each healthcare worker 10 masks that would require 6.5 million masks so the 30 million number for the entire state for a month is not unreasonable. I would assume Florida, California, and Texas would need similar numbers of masks so 120 million masks are needed for the 4 largest states and maybe another 120 million masks for the rest of the states for a month.

But, remember not all masks need to be N95. Surgeons should still be wearing the masks that they generally wear and non-ICU and ER nurses should be wearing their standard masks as well. Shit, I'm not even sure why there should be much of a shortage since non-emergency procedures are being postponed and allergists, dermatologists, ENTs, psychiatrists, opthalmologists and such should be sitting at home with the rest of us.

Surgeons are not involved in taking care of patients on the floor or ICU? In some hospitals who is staffing the Covid patients in SICUs? 

Aerosolized procedures such as nebulizer treatments only occur in the ICUs or EDs?

With a pandemic disease that affects the upper airway and requires a significant amount of intubations, your planning strategy would involve telling the most qualified emergency airway experts in your hospital to sit at home?

Edited by naija

14 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Yeah so the math there...   6,000 deaths / 1,562,949 cases = .0038    That seems optimistic given what we have seen or am I doing this wrong?

Edited by Loco

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

That was TABC trying to rein in what Abbott put out there.  The horse is out of the barn, and a bunch of restaurants I know are saying “fuck it” and selling anyway.  Fuck TABC 

TABC needs to sit this one out for a few months.  they will get their tax revenue

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Site seems off. Doesn’t show Colorado as having a stay in place when we do. 

Gov declared yesterday, right?

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent population health research center at UW Medicine, part of the University of Washington

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

TABC needs to sit this one out for a few months.  they will get their tax revenue

That’s the funny thing.   They were threatening restaurants last week for their monthly Beverage tax payments in the middle of this shit.   Then they want to change the governor’s mandate on their acccord when the governor hasn’t stated any change in his release.   

they absolutely need to sit this one out now, and should be getting drastically defunded going forward 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LongestHorn said:

I’m seeing “Total COVID-19 deaths projected to August 3, 2020 in Texas at 5,847”

I was responding to the post that I quoted.  I haven't projected anything relating to C-19.

3 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

But wait, China said it wasn't person-to-person, so the U.S. was totally justified to wait until mid-March to realize what the fuck was coming. emoji849.png

This statement initiated the conversation. The US didn’t wait until mid-March to realize it was coming. They knew it was coming and fucked up the test. Big difference. Maybe you should have been following his entire argument instead of picking apart those which support yours. Or just keep moving the goal post.

51 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Mike's point was correct. No.

Edited by Casual Encounter
I’m done with this discussion.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away