Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

49 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Have a buddy who works in urology who provided this today. 

UT Austin provided this data to all the area hospital systems in the area. 

From March 23rd to AUG 17

Cases: 1,562,949

Hospitalizations: 61k

ICU: 10,307

Ventilators 6,871  (86 percent death rate)

Deaths: 6k (Death rate about 10% of those hospitalized)

His word: Stay the fuck home

What area is that for?  All of Texas?  Centex?  Because that total infection number is nuts - the metro population of austin is only 2.1 million.  Methinks those numbers are for Texas.  And what assumptions are in there?  No lockdown?  The current lockdown for two weeks?  Something else?  In short....those numbers don't really mean anything to me.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Loco said:

Yeah so the math there...   6,000 deaths / 1,562,949 cases = .0038    That seems optimistic given what we have seen or am I doing this wrong?

x100 =0.38% so twice as deadly as the flu, right? And twice as contagious?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Just now, Message Board User said:

One thing I know for sure: the PTSD among the medical community when this is all over.....sheeeeit.

I'm dead serious.  For at least the rest of this year, no medical professional who put their ass on the line during this pandemic will pay for a drink while I'm around.  They didn't sign up for this (well, they kinda did, but they didn't KNOW they did)  -- but they've stepped into the breach for the greater good.

• Like 4

Exactly. I don’t understand the surprise that we have surpassed them in cases despite Italy having a 2 week head start. We are, in theory, 5X more susceptible to contracting the virus due to the quantity of citizens. It’s not an apples to apples comparison.

Having a larger population is irrelavent on this comparison. All things being equal, it'd spread at the same rate regardless of population size.

The differences at this stage are related to proliferation of testing and acts to stop the spread. Total population would only mean something once you got into tens of millions of cases, at which point Italy would be running out of people to infect while the US would have plenty.

Of course, total case numbers are largely meaningless right now anyway given the differences in approach between countries and the likelihood of a huge undercount. Deaths are better, and even that standard isn't universal.
  • Like 1

Whelp. North Carolina's "Stay at Home" order goes into effect Monday at 5 pm. I suspect, based purely on the amount of traffic I'm seeing on the road out front of my property, that it's going to be a busy, busy weekend of people not taking the previous "suggestion" seriously. Kind of interesting contrast in attitudes, too. I live exactly between the "Triangle", which has the highest density per-capita of PhDs in the country, and the "Triad", which has the highest density per-capita of NASCAR fans. Five miles in one direction, it's a ghost town; five miles in the other, and it's business as usual. I'll let you decide which is which.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Whelp. North Carolina's "Stay at Home" order goes into effect Monday at 5 pm. I suspect, based purely on the amount of traffic I'm seeing on the road out front of my property, that it's going to be a busy, busy weekend of people not taking the previous "suggestion" seriously. Kind of interesting contrast in attitudes, too. I live exactly between the "Triangle", which has the highest density per-capita of PhDs in the country, and the "Triad", which has the highest density per-capita of NASCAR fans. Five miles in one direction, it's a ghost town; five miles in the other, and it's business as usual. I'll let you decide which is which.

Still better than being in College Station, right?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Still better than being in College Station, right?

Hell and gone, yes.

Closed at the moment, but here's the Sarah P. Duke Gardens...

Contrasted with whatever the hell is going on at that dry brown series of cow pastures known as "College Station".

Edited by Walden Ponderer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Loco said:

I just had a delivery of Hot-sauce show up at the door.  Was excited till I remembered they are in Brooklyn.  Yeah that package is going to sit on the porch for a few days.

Los Calientes is damned good btw

Ordered my kid a refurbed chromebook via Amazon.  Shipped from a seller in Jersey.  Got here in two days, which is good.  Opened it outside, got ride of all the packaging and sprayed it down with rubbing alcohol (power cord, screen, you name it.  It's sitting on the counter, and I'm not telling him it's here for a few hours.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Record-keeping question: Will the eventual deaths of the protesters be counted as Coronavirus deaths?

Of course not.  The people over there actually dying of corona aren’t being counted.  They’ll probably say they just went missing or eventually died from a nasty case of syphilis. 

2 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Smith County going to a shelter in place now.  

About time.  Of course, it's not hard to fit into that essential business category and I wish he hadn't separated the judiciary from the other govt. offices (I work in the appellate system and have been WFH for a week with ease)).  Hopefully, this extends my WFH past April 3 (the original cutoff).  I suspect it will, but no word yet.  

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, LongestHorn said:

Gov declared yesterday, right?

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent population health research center at UW Medicine, part of the University of Washington

It was instituted yesterday, but declared Wednesday.

Seems like a good tool, but may be a bit behind in getting in the inputs. 

3 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Yeah I was trying to give up the alcohol during these trying times so as to improve my immune response etc.  So wife buys like 10 bottles of Jester King and brings them home.  Business partner starts stocking Bud Light in the office fridge and some of the workers bought some mini Carona's just for fun.  Why fight it.

Alcohol has no effect either easy on covid, because Joe Diffie caught it, and if he can be infected, anybody can.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Worst part about that is I made the mistake of going to NextDoor and just reading the crap on their made my eyes bleed (no ebola). The amount of it is just a flu and open everything up still in Central Texas amazes me. One dude was confronted with Spain/Italy and his response was they are just weaker people than we are. 

If they close down the parks and trails in Austin, and get really strict on the stay-at-home I’m blaming Nextdoor.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

thats weird.  on the 1point3acres site  Michigan went from +59 to +31.  59 must have been an input error

They are constantly correcting their data, to make sure that duplicate data is removed.   I did a little reading on the folks behind it and their methods, and it’s interesting.    They source the hell out of everything, and are constantly reconciling their data with county and state info, etc,

They and the BNO folks have really impressed me with how fast they ramped their projects/operations up.   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WBT said:

Who are these guys tracking everyone's phones?  The NSA has the decency not to flaunt that they're doing it.

Cell phone companies, tower companies, etc.  When you drive around, your phone is pinging a lot of towers.   And there are various ways.  The information is also sold on from one third party to another   

In theory, the data is anonymous as far as tied to names.   In theory.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Cell phone companies, tower companies, etc.  When you drive around, your phone is pinging a lot of towers.   And there are various ways.  The information is also sold on from one third party to another   

In theory, the data is anonymous as far as tied to names.   In theory.

lol, they could have ID'd every last person on that beach by either tracking to an end address or compelling Google to give up the goods.  There was an article posted a month or so ago about the guy who was arrested (or person of interest) in a home break in because they saw his phone passed by the house 3 times the day of the robbery.  He was exercising riding his bike at the time.

31 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I drove down and picked my NC kid up last weekend.  Cities where ghost towns and you'd never know anything was happening driving thru small towns in TN and NC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Not buying that too hard, the Q idiots love putting out stuff like this.   

But, the Army has recently been reaching out to retirees and those who separated within the IRR timeframe, who had certain specialities (medical and otherwise),  to see if they’d be interested in coming back in some capacity.    This is not new,, happened after 9/11 (I got such a letter), and happened occasionally since for certain folks in highly-specialized MOS’s. 

And because they are doing some call ups and the like, they probably have to issue such statements.  

With that said, this is not going to be much - many folks who are (or were) in medical slots in the Reserves and National Guard are also healthcare professionals in the civilian world (many join the military to help pay for school/receive training), and those units are geography-based.  You could fuck over the folks in one city or state to help the folks in another city or state.  I imagine that would not be popular in an election year.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

lol, they could have ID'd every last person on that beach by either tracking to an end address or compelling Google to give up the goods.  There was an article posted a month or so ago about the guy who was arrested (or person of interest) in a home break in because they saw his phone passed by the house 3 times the day of the robbery.  He was exercising riding his bike at the time.

What you are talking about takes longer (compelling Google for instance).   What I’m talking about is automated, and it’s why they had that info so quickly and why that info is able to be mapped over the entire country.  

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not buying that too hard, the Q idiots love putting out stuff like this.   

But, the Army has recently been reaching out to retirees and those who separated within the IRR timeframe, who had certain specialities (medical and otherwise),  to see if they’d be interested in coming back in some capacity.    This is not new,, happened after 9/11 (I got such a letter), and happened occasionally since for certain folks in highly-specialized MOS’s. 

And because they are doing some call ups and the like, they probably have to issue such statements.  

With that said, this is not going to be much - many folks who are (or were) in medical slots in the Reserves and National Guard are also healthcare professionals in the civilian world (many join the military to help pay for school/receive training), and those units are geography-based.  You could fuck over the folks in one city or state to help the folks in another city or state.  I imagine that would not be popular in an election year.  

Order was issued from what I can tell. Agree, limited. Medical, Logistics and Admin. 

BRASILIA (Reuters) - A doctor working with the largest tribe in the Amazon has tested positive for the coronavirus, Brazil’s Health Ministry said on Friday, ringing alarm bells that the epidemic could spread to vulnerable and remote indigenous communities with devastating effect.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brazil-indigenous/doctor-working-with-amazon-tribe-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-idUSKBN21E3HW

50 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

They put state troopers at the bridge crossing over to the Outer Banks last week. Primary residents only, not even folks who own vacation homes can get across now I believe.

• Like 1

Birx said something like 99% of tests Processed in commercial labs.  Also, today’s bill requires those labs to report all results to I guess the CDC.  This may tie into sites like the 1point3acres site having to pull from varying levels (county, state, federal).  So we may get a more accurate national number.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Cool.  Especially considering other countries are now finding out the existing test kits for this virus are between 30-50% accurate and they’re now throwing them out.  Perhaps the CDC tests were based on the same tests, and we realized right fucking quick that they were shit tests with shit accuracy.  But that’s just a thought 

I've posted the Peter Attia videos explaining our testing options multiple times.  Not my fault if you refuse to watch them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Order was issued from what I can tell. Agree, limited. Medical, Logistics and Admin. 

Yeah, handy with something that is localized like a hurricane, or something like 9/11.   Not so helpful with something that’s everywhere.    Probably folks who have a lot of institutional knowledge needed to get certain things up and running.  

2 hours ago, naija said:

Surgeons are not involved in taking care of patients on the floor or ICU? In some hospitals who is staffing the Covid patients in SICUs? 

Aerosolized procedures such as nebulizer treatments only occur in the ICUs or EDs?

With a pandemic disease that affects the upper airway and requires a significant amount of intubations, your planning strategy would involve telling the most qualified emergency airway experts in your hospital to sit at home?

Fauci said to stop all non-emergency procedures including most dermatology, tonsillectomies, cataract surgeries, etc. Sounds like you disagree with him. You should send him a strongly worded email.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away