Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

China's tests are shit.  They shipped a bunch to Czech and they stopped using them cause they are garbage.  If our CDC was relying on Chinese input wrt test development that was a huge mistake. 

Those were probably the first test batches that we stopped using a month ago is what im getting at 

• Like 1

https://www.praguemorning.cz/80-of-rapid-covid-19-tests-the-czech-republic-bought-from-china-are-wrong/

Up to 80 percent of the 300,000 rapid coronavirus test kits ordered that the Czech Republic ordered from China are not working properly, according to regional hygienists who have tried the tests.
China just keep shitting and falling back in it

Just now, Anastasis said:

China's tests are shit.  They shipped a bunch to Czech and they stopped using them cause they are garbage.  If our CDC was relying on Chinese input wrt test development that was a huge mistake. 

we weren't offered test kits as far as I know.  I thought I saw that WHO provided German test info(who knows if that info was correct at this point) that we could use but CDC said we are doing our own thing.  that will be in the lessons learned. maybe it mattered and maybe it didn't.  It did matter that we had bad test its just not clear yet the the German test info would have made a difference.

8 minutes ago, blacklab said:

how the fuck do you get a dui right now?

bars are closed and you're supposed to stay at home.

Trip to the liquor store after boozin it up?

Uhhh... no... not that.

You seem like you're judging me.   Don't judge me, bro!

9 minutes ago, blacklab said:

how the fuck do you get a dui right now?

bars are closed and you're supposed to stay at home.

Trip to the liquor store after boozin it up?

You wake up, walk the dog, water the garden, make a call or two, then crack a beer by 10am and just keep rolling until you need to grab the wife some chocolate and you some more beer.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

Update on the situation in Nazareth (Castro Co)......now 8 confirmed cases

Good news 2 of the 3 folks on vents have made it off of them and are breathing on their own

Bad news: one of the new cases in Nazareth is an FNP at the county clinic in Dimmitt

that is crazy in a town that small..the contact tracing might be possible.  good to hear about the 2.  hoping the 3rd makes it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we weren't offered test kits as far as I know.  I thought I saw that WHO provided German test info(who knows if that info was correct at this point) that we could use but CDC said we are doing our own thing.  that will be in the lessons learned. maybe it mattered and maybe it didn't.  It did matter that we had bad test its just not clear yet the the German test info would have made a difference.

That's my recollection is that the Germans were among the first to develop test kits outside of China, which were then the standard for the WHO. We rejected those and tried to develop our own.

I'll be more than happy to be corrected if I've gotten that wrong, because I really would prefer not to be right.

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

https://www.praguemorning.cz/80-of-rapid-covid-19-tests-the-czech-republic-bought-from-china-are-wrong/

Up to 80 percent of the 300,000 rapid coronavirus test kits ordered that the Czech Republic ordered from China are not working properly, according to regional hygienists who have tried the tests.

On the one hand, China products are shit so I get it. OTOH, this technology has been around since 1983. It is a technical multi-step process that requires good collection, storage and technique, but 37 years later, this should be pretty standard.

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

That's my recollection is that the Germans were among the first to develop test kits outside of China, which were then the standard for the WHO. We rejected those and tried to develop our own.

I'll be more than happy to be corrected if I've gotten that wrong, because I really would prefer not to be right.

we weren't offered German test kits.  WHO put up, for any country, on Jan 17th the German "protocol" to create a test.  we chose to do our own.

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we weren't offered German test kits.  WHO put up, for any country, on Jan 17th the German "protocol" to create a test.  we chose to do our own.

So...we rejected their test blueprints and decided to figure the shit out ourselves and fucked it up instead of going with Precision German Engineering, unlike the rest of the sane Western world. Got it.

Edited by bolverk
fahrvergnügen
  • Like 2

A little overview on Americans perception of COVID. Pew Research is usually pretty nails.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/traversmark/2020/03/27/covid-19-survey-data-is-pouring-in---and-it-paints-a-bleak-picture/#2ec247fe6ec6

This week, the Pew Research Center released a series of surveys that measured Americans’ attitudes toward the Coronavirus pandemic. 

The picture that is emerging is alarming, to say the least. 

Here are some of the more noteworthy top-line results.

#1: Americans perceive the COVID-19 threat to be growing, and growing fast.

Last week, 47% of Americans viewed COVID-19 as a major health threat. This week, that number has risen to 66%. Not only are Americans viewing Coronavirus as a growing threat to the health of the U.S. population, they also perceive it to be a growing economic threat and a growing threat to their personal health.

“Nearly nine-in-ten Americans now say the coronavirus outbreak is a major threat to the U.S. economy [...] nearly 20 percentage points higher than earlier this month.” 

-Pew Research Center 

The outlook is no less bleak for people’s personal finances. Almost half of Americans (49%) are now viewing the pandemic as a major threat to their pocketbooks and 20% of Americans report being laid off or having lost a job while 27% of Americans have taken a pay cut.

#2: Americans are more likely to believe there has been an under-reaction, not an overreaction, to the pandemic.

Highlighting the perceived severity of the situation, most Americans believe local and state governments have responded appropriately to the threat or haven’t taken the threat seriously enough (as opposed to overreacted). Americans also believe that ordinary people around the country aren’t taking the threat as seriously as they should be.

95% of Americans believe that restricting travel to the United States has been a necessary measure, 91% agree with the cancelling of major sports and entertainment events, and 90% agree with the closing of K-12 schools.

#3: Confidence in the U.S. healthcare system to effectively manage the crisis is waning. 

Approximately one-quarter of Americans are “not too confident” that hospitals and medical centers in their area and around the country can handle the crisis. This number is even higher for nursing homes; 33% of Americans lack confidence in the ability of nursing homes to effectively manage the outbreak.

Bright spots?

There are, however, a few silver linings in the data, if you can call them that. For one, only 12% of Americans report having seen a lot of fake news on Coronavirus and most are satisfied with the way the media has been covering the pandemic. Second, social distancing and quarantines may open the door for more Americans to engage in remote work in the future. According to a 2019 National Compensation Study, only 7% of U.S. civilian workers enjoy the benefits of a “flexible workplace” or telework. This number is likely to increase as companies adapt to the demands of COVID-19 distancing efforts.

Republicans should also be pleased to know that Trump’s approval ratings are higher than ever; 45% of Americans approve of the way Donald Trump is handling his job today compared to only 40% in September of 2019. Moreover, 48% of Americans believe Trump is doing an excellent or good job in handling the crisis while only 32% believe he is doing a poor job.

The last 8 weeks of confirmed cases, deaths, and the percentage of deaths out of the confirmed cases.

3/27/20

596,350 - 27,343 - 4.6% 

3/20/20

275,550 - 11,386 - 4.1%

3/13/20

145,416 -5,428 - 3.7%

3/6/20

102,050 - 3,494 - 3.4%

2/28/20

84,615 - 2,923 - 3.5%

2/21/20

77,673 - 2,360 - 3.0%

2/14/20

67,100 - 1,526 - 2.3%

2/7/20

34,876 - 724 - 2.1%

24 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:
26 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:
Nsiap. Abbot comes through!

Maybe I'm dumb, but how does a positive result take shorter time than a negative result?

it's a bit like my std tests. if at first you don't get a negative, you just keep trying different clinics until you get that negative.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Somnio said:

The last 8 weeks of confirmed cases, deaths, and the percentage of deaths out of the confirmed cases.

3/27/20

596,350 - 27,343 - 4.6% 

3/20/20

275,550 - 11,386 - 4.1%

3/13/20

145,416 -5,428 - 3.7%

3/6/20

102,050 - 3,494 - 3.4%

2/28/20

84,615 - 2,923 - 3.5%

2/21/20

77,673 - 2,360 - 3.0%

2/14/20

67,100 - 1,526 - 2.3%

2/7/20

34,876 - 724 - 2.1%

What is this intended to illustrate?

32 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I like you BL, but you severely underestimate the dedicated professional drinkers ability, desire and need to stay drunk, all the time, regardless of family issues, social morays or pandemics.  

Signed - Former Pro BE

This is true. I take Luna to hunt rats in the neighborhood business parks with a fifth of Beam and a 12 gauge every night around 2 am.

Fired off a few rounds here and there and never heard a siren.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, akhornfan said:

It doesn’t mean that the death rate is somehow ‘increasing’. 

Or the percentage of confirmed versus actual cases in decreasing as it must since the actual spread increases exponentially while testing can only increase linearly.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Do they check ID on delivery (not that I'd normally be carded but I've heard that's standard on delivery), because mine's expired now and the DMV is closed.

LOL. Ain't nobody checking id during a pandemic man when they are trying to stay afloat.  Fucking TABC been waved off and we got to-go gallons of margarita curb side. God willing we can keep some of the best of this in float after this shit resides. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does activating reserves/guard help at all with those laid off?  Is there enough of them, and are they in jobs likely to be affected?

I know of two nurses activated today at a hospital in Austin. I’m thinking a majority of those activated are in the medical field, so most probably still have jobs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RayDog said:

Or the percentage of confirmed versus actual cases in decreasing as it must since the actual spread increases exponentially while testing can only increase linearly.

Sure - but then what’s the point of ending the chart with a death rate?

Edited by akhornfan

21 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/army-helps-make-temporary-hospital-yorks-javits-center/story?id=69845568

With the Army's help, the temporary field hospital at New York City's Javits Convention Center will now hold 2,910 beds, making it one of the largest hospitals in America. Established in record time, the temporary hospital is an example of the surge of federal and military resources into New York to help with the novel coronavirus pandemic, including the Army Corps of Engineers, two Army field hospitals, and the Navy’s hospital ship the USNS Comfort...

...Originally slated to house 1,000 beds composed of four Federal Emergency Management Agency field hospitals, the Army Corps of Engineers took advantage of the convention center's design and the arrival of two Army field hospitals from Fort Campbell, Kentucky, and Fort Hood, Texas, to expand the number of beds at the temporary hospital...

..."The Javits Center is an amazing facility," said Semonite. "Every 10 feet there's a great big steel door in the floor, you open it up in there is all the electrical; there's cold water, there's hot water and there's a place for sewers, so you can actually do things like sinks, right in the middle of a convention center to be able to make that happen."

The hospital will be staffed by 350 medical personnel from FEMA and the two Army hospitals.

Non-COVID-19 patients will be transported from hospitals in the New York City area to the convention center, just as they will be at the 1,000-bed Navy hospital ship the USNS Comfort when it is operational in New York Harbor on Tuesday....

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

It doesn’t mean that the death rate is somehow ‘increasing’. 

The general consensus has been that as testing began in earnest the number of confirmed cases would grow very substantially, and as this happened the CFR would begin to drop significantly.

Well, testing has indeed ramped up, and as we all thought the confirmed cases grew by a bunch.  A month ago we sat at 84,615 confirmed cases.  We're now at about 600,000.

Unfortunately, the number of deaths has grown even faster, and now make up a larger percentage of confirmed cases.

Virtually no one believed that would be the case.  It is not a good indicator of things to come in my opinion.

Edited by Somnio
  • Like 4

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away