Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Bevo Num1 said:
1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:
Nsiap. Abbot comes through!

Maybe I'm dumb, but how does a positive result take shorter time than a negative result?

If the RNA sequence is there, you will see it multiply quickly and can confirm the signal is present. If it’s not there, you have to run it a little longer to be certain it’s really not there. 

• Like 2

On 3/2/2020 at 12:27 PM, akhornfan said:

I think we keep extrapolating infection as if it hasn’t already happened. Like, in the case of the WA senior care facility, ‘two people have already died, just wait until the rest of them get it’. When more realistically, they already were exposed and two died. It may get another one or two, but it’s not going to kill half of them. 
We’re more likely seeing things retrospect than in the early stages. 

On 3/3/2020 at 12:44 PM, akhornfan said:

That there won’t be enough cases to overwhelm the health care infrastructure and it’s not deadly enough. 

19 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

It doesn’t mean that the death rate is somehow ‘increasing’. 

Guys, don't worry. Akhornfan has been on top of this. The fatality rate is actually really low. There is no evidence it is high. And hospitals are not currently being overwhelmed. Why y'all worried?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If the RNA sequence is there, you will see it multiply quickly and can confirm the signal is present. If it’s not there, you have to run it a little longer to be certain it’s really not there. 

Yeah but that just means a positive test will take between 5 and 13 minutes.

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Guys, don't worry. Akhornfan has been on top of this. The fatality rate is actually really low. There is no evidence it is high. And hospitals are not currently being overwhelmed. Why y'all worried?

The death rate is low, when compared to the crazy numbers people were throwing out. Which is all I’ve ever said.

@Somnio I think the thought was that by now we’d have much more widespread testing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Yeah but that just means a positive test will take between 5 and 13 minutes.

I don’t know how they validated the kit. Odds are if you had a scientist watching the data in real time, they’d probably make the positive/negative call in fewer than 5 minutes. However many PCR cycles run in 13 minutes probably give them some 10^n confidence of a negative. 

SIAP

If you want a walk-through of what this thing is: https://www.youtube.com/embed/4J0d59dd-qM . It's long and the beginning will turn anybody off. Be patient.

Most of the regulars might know all this but it struck me as pretty, pretty good. As much as a I despise aggie they may know a thing or two about animal transmissions.

Edited by Walser

Need to do this with New York Yankees fans.  Don't even think about coming to Minute Maid, Jomboy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-27/rhode-island-police-to-hunt-down-new-yorkers-seeking-refuge

Rhode Island Police to Hunt Down New Yorkers Seeking Refuge

Rhode Island police began stopping cars with New York plates Friday. On Saturday, the National Guard will help them conduct house-to-house searches to find people who traveled from New York and demand 14 days of self-quarantine.

“Right now we have a pinpointed risk,” Governor Gina Raimondo said. “That risk is called New York City.”

New York is the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the U.S., on Friday reporting a total of 44,000 cases.

Rhode Island has just over 200, and it has begun an aggressive campaign to keep the virus out and New Yorkers contained, over objections from civil liberties advocates.

Raimondo, a Democrat, said she had consulted lawyers and said while she couldn’t close the border, she felt confident she could enforce a quarantine.

Many New Yorkers have summer houses in Rhode Island, especially in tony Newport, and the governor said the authorities would be checking there...

...National Guard members will be stationed at the T.F. Green airport, Amtrak train stations and at bus stops. The citizen-soldiers will be following up with people at local residences. The maximum penalty for not complying: a fine of $500 and 90 days in prison...

...“While the Governor may have the power to suspend some state laws and regulations to address this medical emergency, she cannot suspend the Constitution,” Rhode Island ACLU executive director Steven Brown said in a statement. “Under the Fourth Amendment, having a New York state license plate simply does not, and cannot, constitute ‘probable cause’ to allow police to stop a car and interrogate the driver, no matter how laudable the goal of the stop may be.”

Just before 1 p.m. Friday, state police were set up on Interstate 95 northbound, at the rest stop closest to the Connecticut border. A mile or two before that, motorists could see signs ordering all New York passenger vehicles to pull over at the rest stop....

Edited by clapclapclap

30 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Good news, sis is reporting a huge drop of PPE from volunteers, donations, and State supply drops.

State of Texas seems to be succeeding at scrounging up everything it can by outbidding everyone else including the feds.

While maybe good news for Texas, I don’t think I would classify an ongoing bidding war for medical supplies to be good news. Quite the opposite.

• Like 1

Hopefully some of you have a good buzz too.  So enough debbydowner BS...when the hell are we gonna be out partying on the streets?  Even after a few cocktails, I can't improve upon my May 1 guess.  So maybe some of you can help me with more optimistic timelines...

• Like 1

Just now, Liquor and Poker said:

Wait. Did that Pew research really say 20% of the workforce has already been laid off? One in five??

<immediately takes the bait>

I was hoping enough serious discussions...but this doesn't surprise me at all.  Hospitality, travel, entertainment are all completely toast. 

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Hopefully some of you have a good buzz too.  So enough debbydowner BS...when the hell are we gonna be out partying on the streets?  Even after a few cocktails, I can't improve upon my May 1 guess.  So maybe some of you can help me with more optimistic timelines...

My grandma called me to let me know that she was going to have a barbecue when this thing is over. 

Normally I don’t get excited about barbecues and my grandma’s, but shit, it sounded great. 

Youre the doc, not me, but May 1st seems really optimistic. I hope you’re right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

My grandma called me to let me know that she was going to have a barbecue when this thing is over. 

Normally I don’t get excited about barbecues and my grandma’s, but shit, it sounded great. 

Youre the doc, not me, but May 1st seems really optimistic. I hope you’re right.

Man I wish my grandparents were still alive cause they knew how to throw a fucking party.  And it will be a fucking party when we clear this shit. 

22 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Need to do this with New York Yankees fans.  Don't even think about coming to Minute Maid, Jomboy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-27/rhode-island-police-to-hunt-down-new-yorkers-seeking-refuge

Rhode Island Police to Hunt Down New Yorkers Seeking Refuge

Rhode Island police began stopping cars with New York plates Friday. On Saturday, the National Guard will help them conduct house-to-house searches to find people who traveled from New York and demand 14 days of self-quarantine.

“Right now we have a pinpointed risk,” Governor Gina Raimondo said. “That risk is called New York City.”

New York is the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the U.S., on Friday reporting a total of 44,000 cases.

Rhode Island has just over 200, and it has begun an aggressive campaign to keep the virus out and New Yorkers contained, over objections from civil liberties advocates.

Raimondo, a Democrat, said she had consulted lawyers and said while she couldn’t close the border, she felt confident she could enforce a quarantine.

Many New Yorkers have summer houses in Rhode Island, especially in tony Newport, and the governor said the authorities would be checking there...

...National Guard members will be stationed at the T.F. Green airport, Amtrak train stations and at bus stops. The citizen-soldiers will be following up with people at local residences. The maximum penalty for not complying: a fine of $500 and 90 days in prison...

...“While the Governor may have the power to suspend some state laws and regulations to address this medical emergency, she cannot suspend the Constitution,” Rhode Island ACLU executive director Steven Brown said in a statement. “Under the Fourth Amendment, having a New York state license plate simply does not, and cannot, constitute ‘probable cause’ to allow police to stop a car and interrogate the driver, no matter how laudable the goal of the stop may be.”

Just before 1 p.m. Friday, state police were set up on Interstate 95 northbound, at the rest stop closest to the Connecticut border. A mile or two before that, motorists could see signs ordering all New York passenger vehicles to pull over at the rest stop....

getting close to needing snake plisken.  

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think it's an impossible question because it is going to peak in different places at different times. And we still don't know what weather will or won't do in terms of suppressing it. And even if summer offers a respite, we have to be vigilant about preparing for an outbreak in October/November.

Austin officials received 180 calls on Thursday from residents reporting gatherings or businesses suspected of violating new stay-at-home orders related to the coronavirus pandemic.

The tally came the day after orders barring all but essential business from remaining open and limiting social contact unless absolutely necessary went into effect. The orders, which are set to end in mid-April, are intended to curb the spread of COVID-19, the disease linked to the coronavirus.

City officials said they received a total of 789 COVID-19-related requests on Thursday through its 311 service.

“The majority of these calls were informational calls where a caller was looking for more information and was directed to the city’s website.” The city said “180 service requests were reported as a suspected restaurant non-compliance, bar open or over occupancy gathering/event.”

Mayor Steve Adler, Travis County Judge Sarah Eckhardt and Interim Health Authority Dr. Mark Escott on Thursday said the Austin area needs to see a 90% reduction in personal and business contacts in the community to stay ahead of the COVID-19 pandemic. Doing so would keep health care workers from being overwhelmed in coming weeks and months, according to projections from the University of Texas.

Even after the orders went into effect Wednesday, dozens of people gathered near Barton Springs Pool, clearly not practicing social distancing as recommended by local health officials. Harsh criticism erupted on social media.

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think it's an impossible question because it is going to peak in different places at different times. And we still don't know what weather will or won't do in terms of suppressing it. And even if summer offers a respite, we have to be vigilant about preparing for an outbreak in October/November.

*whether

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bb4628fca6769b42178201ee67fe27a5.gif

30 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Will it be a cookout, or a barbecue?? There are rules, and Yankees don’t understand them.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, Walser said:

SIAP

If you want a walk-through of what this thing is: https://www.youtube.com/embed/4J0d59dd-qM . It's long and the beginning will turn anybody off. Be patient.

Most of the regulars might know all this but it struck me as pretty, pretty good. As much as a I despise aggie they may know a thing or two about animal transmissions.

Shouldn’t have watched that before going to bed.

The US arts-and-crafts chain Hobby Lobby has said it will remain open during the coronavirus epidemic – but has also refused sick pay for workers who fall ill, including from Covid-19. 

The chain is keeping some stores open in states that have not ordered non-essential retailers to shut down. In a letter to all employees on 19 March, founder and CEO David Green warned that times would be tough: “To help ensure our company remains strong and prepared to prosper once again when this passes, we may all have to ‘tighten our belts’ over the near future.”

Mr Green, a devout conservative Christian whose net worth is in the region of $6bn, also wrote that “I cannot adequately express how much I appreciate each one of you.”

However, in a March 23 memo to store managers seen by Business Insider, store operations vice president Randy Betts wrote that the business would “make every effort to continue working the employees”, and that sick workers will be expected to use their personal paid leave or take an unpaid leave of absence.

Much of the reaction to the revelations focused on the discrepancy between the Christian values expressed in the letter and the hardline payroll policies in the memo. Left-wing blog DailyKos, for instance, headlined its story “Hobby Lobby founder tells workers that God spoke to his wife and forgot to mention paid sick leave”.

TOP ARTICLES1/6READ MORE

Sure enough, in the 19 March letter to employees, Mr Green wrote that when his wife Barbara prayed for guidance the week before, “God put on [her] heart three profound words to remind us that he’s in control: Guide, Guard and Groom.

“While we do not know for certain what the future holds, or how long this disruption will last, we can all rest in knowing that God is in control.”

45 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Not sure what it says about me but I agree with about half the comments there.

The quarantines feel like a joke if we allow 80% of businesses to continue operating as an essential business. I live in FW which has been “stay at home” since Tuesday and my neighborhood golf course had tons of golfers out today. Seriously, golf is acceptable right now but as an ophthalmologist I can’t see my patients. Went to Central Market to get groceries and it was packed with people. No one even cared about maintaining any kind of radius.

Really frustrating to have these half measures in place because they seem mostly ineffective. Either lock it all down or admit defeat and let the virus do what it’s gonna do.
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Weird that they casually mention he was discovered dead in the hotel room he was self-quarantined in. Hadn’t heard the virus could take you out that quickly. 

something makes me think there is more to the story here.  how long was he in the hotel?

Not sure what it says about me but I agree with about half the comments there.

The quarantines feel like a joke if we allow 80% of businesses to continue operating as an essential business. I live in FW which has been “stay at home” since Tuesday and my neighborhood golf course had tons of golfers out today. Seriously, golf is acceptable right now but as an ophthalmologist I can’t see my patients. Went to Central Market to get groceries and it was packed with people. No one even cared about maintaining any kind of radius.

Really frustrating to have these half measures in place because they seem mostly ineffective. Either lock it all down or admit defeat and let the virus do what it’s gonna do.

I think mid April most shelter in places are lifted and by May 1 we’re mostly back in business. Obviously by mid April we’ll have a much better idea where we are as a country.

But ya that thread is pretty accurate to what’s going on.

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

While maybe good news for Texas, I don’t think I would classify an ongoing bidding war for medical supplies to be good news. Quite the opposite.

No doubt it is horrible it comes to an auction for lives.

I'm just happy my sister is getting what she needs to survive. Thats what it is .. survival. 

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

It should come as no surprise that most of the comments I’ve seen from the “influenza kills more people and the media is driving the frenzy” crowd had been from the aggy folks that I know. There are several that have made it their life’s mission to let everybody know that this is all overblown and anybody worried about catching/carrying this is just being manipulated by the media. It’s been non-stop through Facebook or text groups. I don’t give a shit, aggy. I’m young and in good health.. I know I won’t die or likely even be hospitalized by this. I still don’t want to pass it on to my elderly, compromised parents or in-laws... or any other person that may fit the bill. Even if they have a good chance of survival, the thought of them spending several weeks in icu or on a ventilator is not something I care to think about. They’re so damned caught up on only trying to push the lower than initially advertised, and only for old people death rate narrative. I honestly can’t understand why they’re  on such an unwavering crusade, other than that it’s the current company line they’re being fed over at texags. It’s quite annoying.

And as said above, and as much as it pains me to agree with anyone on the hell hole that is texags, we are half assing this lockdown. It worked (presumptively) in China because people were afraid to leave their residences for anything... or were more likely, locked in. Here, most of the population is dumb/ignorant and ignore most of the warnings/orders out in place because their way of life is more important that some silly virus. While any amount of people staying home or avoiding interactions will help slow the spread, to truly “flatten the curve”, it takes full buy-in from the nation... or enforcement of temporary orders in the event that people don’t buy in. You can’t have people half-assing it if you’re taking the risk of tanking the economy to halt it. It’s whole-ass or nothing.  And our idiot population is not taking it seriously enough to whole-ass it

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Good news, sis is reporting a huge drop of PPE from volunteers, donations, and State supply drops.

State of Texas seems to be succeeding at scrounging up everything it can by outbidding everyone else including the feds.

Gettin a lot of flak about Texas whatever or whoever. We are in triage at a geographical level. If being the richest fucks keeps my people alive then fuuuuuu yuuuu

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away