Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Our social distancing and shutdown efforts may be having an effect, according to the "US health weather map"

https://healthweather.us/

Kinsa makes wifi thermometers and uses the collected data to forecast hot spots of disease.  They make a public national "weather map" showing trends and with the ability to drill down to any county.  Around Feb 29th, the amount of people with a high fever started to increase and deviate from their expected seasonal model.  The deviation kept getting worse until about Mar 19th.  The trend then reversed sharply, fell through the expected range, and is now below the expected range for this time of year.  If you drill down to counties, you can see this happening all over the country, but in different degrees.

So, something is happening.  Either normally healthy people are taking their temperature more than expected and the weather map does not account for that, or social distancing is working, or some other factor is at play.

Aren’t we getting close to the end of the main part of flu season?  And I saw something about all of the measures and hand washing have really slowed the flu in general.   

3 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Too much Corona, you’re drunk.

If you arent packing a buzz by 4pm on this fine Saturday with the weather outside, global pandemic swarming all around us, you are doing it wrong. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Somnio said:

I don't understand this at all.

This to me seems like I just totalled my car, and as I'm on the stretcher being put in the ambulance a police officer comes up and tells me, "Good news, I checked your trunk and it appears your subwoofers and amp weren't damaged!".

Oh, great fucking news!  Even though my car is done for, and I'm on the way to the hospital with no insurance since I lost my job, at least I have that bit of information to keep me feeling good about things.

I mean, really?  WTF?

Depends.....was it a bitchin’ Camaro?   And the subwoofers and amp may have been the only things that were paid off, so win?

11 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Infant died WITH Covid 19. Cause of death not identified as certain. Semantics matter.

People need to understand this fact when reading headlines. Deaths due to various illnesses will still occur in people of all ages. This virus is so widespread, it’s going to show up in many of those victims and doesn’t mean it was the cause or even a contributing factor.

Edited by Casual Encounter
Media lives for shock factor.
  • Like 5

Damn, Montgomery County well above weight-class.  

http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/montgomery-county-63-positive-cases/

Montgomery County Public Health District, in conjunction with Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management, can confirm Montgomery County now has 63 positive cases of COVID-19, an increase of 16 from yesterday. Some big news today we are happy to share is our Case #2, who was previously hospitalized in critical condition, has been released from the hospital! She will continue her recovery at home.

63 POSITIVE

368 NEGATIVE

169 PENDING

If you check that page, they list every single person’s age and how they contracted it.    They also list their towns/subdivisions.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you check that page, they list every single person’s age and how they contracted it.    They also list their towns/subdivisions.  

Take it for what it’s worth, a good friend passed away earlier this week In a Montgomery county hospital waiting on a very common emergency heart surgery. Insurance or money wasn’t the issue 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Oh by all means I completely understand how it has helped with the Schools being shut down, as well as large gatherings/entertainment venues.

BUT I'll strongly disagree with the bolded.  It's not going to take that much longer, not when just about every business you can think of is open. Car Dealerships, just about every retail store.  People still don't practice distancing in grocery stores either.

I do agree with you it'll get worse and the best case is to shut everything down.  And at best, everything we've done, has ONLY slowed it...it'll still be pretty massive IMO.

See I will disagree though caveat that I live in the burbs of TC with a lot of Gen Xers raising families so things are still going on but people around here keep their space by and large.  I also still would say that a person getting too close to a person in a grocery store here and there even time and time again has nowhere near the magnifying effect of people nut to butt on a subway, at a concert, kids in the hallway at a school, the streets of NY etc.  You take three sick people and drop them in a grocery store line for an hour and then take the same three sick people and drop them in a subway or at a concert for an hour.....it's not even close to the same when it comes to their influence.

Again not meant to be all is well....but it's going to play out differently I think as it has in even Italy itself.  

• Like 3

Montgomery County Public Health District, in conjunction with Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management, can confirm Montgomery County now has 63 positive cases of COVID-19, an increase of 16 from yesterday. Some big news today we are happy to share is our Case #2, who was previously hospitalized in critical condition, has been released from the hospital! She will continue her recovery at home.
63 POSITIVE
368 NEGATIVE
169 PENDING
Pilot housing north. Lots of Woodlands travel related middle aged men in there.

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Aren’t we getting close to the end of the main part of flu season?  And I saw something about all of the measures and hand washing have really slowed the flu in general.   

Which isn't a bad thing....it you can take the 100-200 flu deaths a day out of the equation on top of Covid.

21 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If you arent packing a buzz by 4pm on this fine Saturday with the weather outside, global pandemic swarming all around us, you are doing it wrong. 

Amen brotha. I just finished smoking a brisket. Started drinking around 7am. Nothing else to do so fuck it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

How are you and your family doing? I'm sorry.

I didn’t know her that well.  My aunt is obviously very upset.  If there is some silver lining here, my mother told me about it, and it seems to have made an impression on her.  She, to this point, has not taken the threat very seriously despite being >70 y.o. with a litany of underlying conditions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I didn’t know her that well.  My aunt is obviously very upset.  If there is some silver lining here, my mother told me about it, and it seems to have made an impression on her.  She, to this point, has not taken the threat very seriously despite being >70 y.o. with a litany of underlying conditions.

They spend all day studying for the final exam, not you're telling them they don't have to take it?

11 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Made the mistake of going to Home Depot earlier to grab a few things I need to finish the playhouse I'm building for my kids. What a fucking zoo. Everyone in town packed in there.

Student of mine during our zoom lecture told me they’ve asked him to work more hours at Lowe’s with no protection at all.  He said they’ve been as busy as ever. 

16 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I predicted this a month ago.  But they are going to end up being known as Gen C.

In other news....

EULIrp5-UYAAi8-A5.jpg

Singapore doesn’t require masks and in fact discourage the use unless you’re sick.

“Officials say the supply is sufficient, but the Ministry of Health has encouraged Singaporeans to forego a mask if they are well.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-02-05/who-gets-face-masks-in-a-pandemic-politicians-aren-t-so-sure

Student of mine during our zoom lecture told me they’ve asked him to work more hours at Lowe’s with no protection at all.  He said they’ve been as busy as ever. 
I knew I shouldn't have gone, but I've been promising to finish this damn thing for months. They were letting one in as one left. Lines on the ground six feet apart to wait. Sprayed your hands with hand sanitizer as you went in. So at least they're doing something, but still way too many people there.

It seems like we are on the worst possible path right now. We are sheltering people, which is destroying the economy, but not enforcing the sheltering so that it’s spreading fast anyway. Given that not sheltering at all appears to be a catastrophic path according to the current data, it would seem that harsh sheltering and quarantines is the only viable path forward.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

They never do.  That's how people end up with so many underlying conditions.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

It seems like we are on the worst possible path right now. We are sheltering people, which is destroying the economy, but not enforcing the sheltering so that it’s spreading fast anyway. Given that not sheltering at all appears to be a catastrophic path according to the current data, it would seem that harsh sheltering and quarantines is the only viable path forward.

I posted over a month ago that the US is not disciplined enough to combat this through isolation. More strict measures will not be enforced, so it doesn’t matter. We’re slowing it down some and that’s all we can hope for.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I predicted this a month ago.  But they are going to end up being known as Gen C.

In other news....

EULIrp5-UYAAi8-A5.jpg

Is the significance that "No masks" looks like a penis and "Masks" looks like a hole? I think I want to be in the "No masks" group.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I posted over a month ago that the US is not disciplined enough to combat this through isolation. More strict measures will not be enforced, so it doesn’t matter. We’re slowing it down some and that’s all we can hope for.

Agree. Hence, the need for coordinated, strong leadership at the federal level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Their website models "normal" flu behavior, so it decreases over time during the spring.  It declares an area abnormally high if the incidence of fever is higher than what would be expected at this time of year according to the model, and abnormally low if lower...

It is showing that there was an abnormal spike higher than expected from the end of Feb until about eight days ago, then the trend reversed, and now it is lower than expected.  COVID-19 may explain the higher spike.  More distancing or simply more people taking their temperature may explain the lower spike.  Maybe this is causing normal flu season to end a little early, or maybe COVID infections are dropping, or both.

But the data went higher than the model and is now lower than the model, indicating that something may have happened to increase disease and we may be responding to stop it.  It's pretty cool that we can measure it.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away