Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I wore a mask the last time I made a trip to Kroger, possibly a week ago. It was the day of the first rumor that abbot was going to shut the state down, which is why I went, to stock up on perishables. I knew that if an announcement came shit would be even more insane in stores. So I put on jeans, a hoodie, a mask, and gloves. And I felt like a dumb, dumb weird motherfucker the entire time, to the point I found myself avoiding eye contact with folks. This was after a good half dozen mocking and patronizing looks from shoppers.  

breaking societal norms is fucking hard at times. I knew I was doing the right thing, and being safe for my family and others, but every instinct in me was I was being a giant faget. 

Asking, much less expecting, most of America to radically go against their culture and instincts was always going to be a losing proposition. It will take a massive death toll and Prolonged economic crisis to change how we operate fundamentally. And even then, I think it’s more likely that much of the uneducated or indifferent public will just do something like blame China or whatever cognitive dissonance is required to change nothing. Then again, I’m also a cynic. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

... So I put on jeans, a hoodie, a mask, and gloves. And I felt like a dumb, dumb weird motherfucker the entire time, ...

I spent a good hour shopping for balaclavas on Amazon the other day.  In the end I didn't pull the trigger even after I found one that I liked.  I'm still debating the wisdom of wearing it while shopping at HEB or Costco.

Edited by bernorange

21 hours ago, Hpara759 said:

Update on the situation in Nazareth (Castro Co)......now 8 confirmed cases

Good news 2 of the 3 folks on vents have made it off of them and are breathing on their own

Bad news: one of the new cases in Nazareth is an FNP at the county clinic in Dimmitt

8 in Nazareth is insane....Lubbock is about to blow up with at least 10 more today ...then was told get ready for the much worse, it got into a nursing home and some of the staff tested positive (4), so I'm sure the residents numbers are about to explode 

I have a deadline Monday for something that is totally unreasonable. I am 65 hours into the work week and estimate I need another 15-20 hours to complete it. That’s with minimal mistake checking. I’m kind of hoping I catch the corona. If I live, I still won’t have to finish this shit on a ridiculous time line. If I die my kids get insurance money. Fuck it all I am burnt out.

9 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I spent a good hour shopping for balaclavas on Amazon the other day.  In the end I didn't pull the trigger even after I found one that I liked.  I'm still debating the wisdom of wearing it while shopping at HEB or Costco.

A stormtrooper mask popped on my Facebook the other day.  I thought about buying it to wear out and about.  Not for safety, but just to freak people out.

• Haha 2

Student of mine during our zoom lecture told me they’ve asked him to work more hours at Lowe’s with no protection at all.  He said they’ve been as busy as ever. 

Lowe’s has also fired a shit ton of people for taking sick time and are trying to force people to work who have high risk folks at home. Lowe’s is really a shitty company.
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, michaelpshayes said:

8 in Nazareth is insane....Lubbock is about to blow up with at least 10 more today ...then was told get ready for the much worse, it got into a nursing home and some of the staff tested positive (4), so I'm sure the residents numbers are about to explode 

Mom lives up in Burnet County. She said a Marble Falls nursing home worker tested positive.

(Thank you, Simone.)

22 minutes ago, utee94 said:

A stormtrooper mask popped on my Facebook the other day.  I thought about buying it to wear out and about.  Not for safety, but just to freak people out.

I've been wearing one of these when I go to HEB:  

blumhouse-happy-death-day-baby-mask.jpg?

It's probably not as good as one of those N95 masks, but it does help with the social distancing, too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I wore a mask the last time I made a trip to Kroger, possibly a week ago. It was the day of the first rumor that abbot was going to shut the state down, which is why I went, to stock up on perishables. I knew that if an announcement came shit would be even more insane in stores. So I put on jeans, a hoodie, a mask, and gloves. And I felt like a dumb, dumb weird motherfucker the entire time, to the point I found myself avoiding eye contact with folks. This was after a good half dozen mocking and patronizing looks from shoppers.  

breaking societal norms is fucking hard at times. I knew I was doing the right thing, and being safe for my family and others, but every instinct in me was I was being a giant faget. 

You have good instincts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have a deadline Monday for something that is totally unreasonable. I am 65 hours into the work week and estimate I need another 15-20 hours to complete it. That’s with minimal mistake checking. I’m kind of hoping I catch the corona. If I live, I still won’t have to finish this shit on a ridiculous time line. If I die my kids get insurance money. Fuck it all I am burnt out.

You're polishing the brass on the Titanic, bro.

44 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Asking, much less expecting, most of America to radically go against their culture and instincts was always going to be a losing proposition. It will take a massive death toll and Prolonged economic crisis to change how we operate fundamentally. And even then, I think it’s more likely that much of the uneducated or indifferent public will just do something like blame China or whatever cognitive dissonance is required to change nothing. Then again, I’m also a cynic. 

I wear cargo shorts in public. Wearing a mask and gloves ain’t shit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

New Yorkers are already overrunning WV air bnbs to escape NY.

Friend from HS, who is a Epidemiological Psychiatrist (I think she's an NYU Prof or something) just bailed with her two Labradors for a relative's empty house in Houston.  Said quarantining in her apartment building in NY with two dogs was completely unrealistic.  She should know. 

5 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

There is a lot of bullshit in that Q&A though. His answers to the questions about the timeline are deflections about China's actions, especially when the whistelblower was brought before the local officials on January 3rd, and it's highly likely that China is cooking their books on the community spread to focus only on imported cases at this point so that they can blame foreign powers. 

It's interesting to read but hard to trust considering China's actions throughout this entire process

I don't disagree that there is some obfuscation, but I'd give him a higher grade than our Prez on given honest, insightful and fact based answers. 
But maybe that's just me.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Friend from HS, who is a Epidemiological Psychiatrist (I think she's an NYU Prof or something) just bailed with her two Labradors for a relative's empty house in Houston.  Said quarantining in her apartment building in NY with two dogs was completely unrealistic.  She should know. 

thats not good. nobody should be travelling especially from Ny/NJ

1 hour ago, Mikey4 said:
1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:
I predicted this a month ago.  But they are going to end up being known as Gen C.
In other news....
https://i.ibb.co/tDwfTRX/EULIrp5-UYAAi8-A5.jpg[/img]

It's shocking that, even today, some Americans are so ignorant or stubborn that they would argue against the efficiency of using masks (or any other face covering) in public.

If masks were easily available, we should do like Japan and other countries, and sick folks would wear them without stigma.   And maybe covid will break that stigma.    Our flu and cold seasons would dramatically improve.   For now it’s nice to think about, but masks need to be going to healthcare/first responders/covids /elderly.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 3

Been WFH for two weeks and trying not to leave the house unless we need something from the grocery store.  Cabin fever is about to get the best of me.  Thought things couldn’t get much worse until a storm blew through about 3 hours ago and we have been without power since and it’s about to get dark.  WTF.  

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

So looking through the sources on he 1point3acres, and there seem to be a lot of nursing homes with their first handful of cases/deaths in rural areas.   That’s  not unexpected, but it is sad.

When the old folks communities and homes get hit, I'm worried about the numbers. Viruses probably spread like in daycare. 

1 hour ago, Mikey4 said:
1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:
I predicted this a month ago.  But they are going to end up being known as Gen C.
In other news....
https://i.ibb.co/tDwfTRX/EULIrp5-UYAAi8-A5.jpg[/img]

It's shocking that, even today, some Americans are so ignorant or stubborn that they would argue against the efficiency of using masks (or any other face covering) in public.

To be fair to Joe/Jane Q Public that hasn't tracked this site, there have been multiple reports out from WHO/CDC that masks don't help and only sick people should wear them so when they cough they don't spread. Now reports are coming out stating what seems to be obvious "Well if Dr.s wear them, I guess they do help".

If the WHO/CDC reverse course now and say "All should be masked" then that is on them for not stating this from the onset.

With that said myself and every family member has a N95 mask.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

To be fair to Joe/Jane Q Public that hasn't tracked this site, there have been multiple reports out from WHO/CDC that masks don't help and only sick people should wear them so when they cough they don't spread. Now reports are coming out stating what seems to be obvious "Well if Dr.s wear them, I guess they do help".

If the WHO/CDC reverse course now and say "All should be masked" then that is on them for not stating this from the onset.

With that said myself and every family member has a N95 mask.

The whole “masks don’t help” thing has to be one of the dumbest fucking things ever. 

• Like 3

So looking through the sources on he 1point3acres, and there seem to be a lot of nursing homes with their first handful of cases/deaths in rural areas.   That’s  not unexpected, but it is sad.

We had breaking news last night of a doctor having covid that was in a nursing home in town here... so far doesn’t sound like anyone’s been infected so far

2 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

The whole “masks don’t help” thing has to be one of the dumbest fucking things ever. 

Agreed. WHO/CDC should have said "We don't want run on masks and Dr.s not being able to have them" vs "Nah they don't work/people are stupid for buying" stance they took out of the gate. Now they are reversing course and are going to probably make a bigger run on them than before.

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Again, who gives a shit right now when or where it started. The shit is here. Those assholes have been fighting it 3 months longer than we have. Take lessons learned and best practices to save lives and mitigate the spread. There's plenty of time to re-visit blame if/when the world defeats this thing.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

New Yorkers are already overrunning WV air bnbs to escape NY.

That seems to be what happened in China as well with respect to Wuhan. The gave a two day notification prior to quarantine and everyone that had the means to leave, did, if I am remembering correctly. With people being asymptomatic it creates spread but controlling that type of movement is probably difficult.

If masks were easily available, we should do like Japan and other countries, and sick folks would wear them without stigma.   And maybe covid will break that stigma.    Our flu and cold seasons would dramatically improve.   For now it’s nice to think about, but masks need to be going to healthcare/first responders/covids /elderly.  

Agreed, and even without real masks, there's a lot we could do if leaders would encourage it (no CR). Studies show that even homemade cloth masks are fairly effective at preventing spread. They make it harder for people to accidentally touch their own faces and help contain droplets when people cough or sneeze.

• Like 1

The Philippines is up to 1075 cases and 68 deaths.  Many positive tests are still coming back after someone dies as they only spend the last few days in the hospital. Most of the dead are in their 70s or 80s. One hospital here just lost their  license and was placed under quarantine when they recieved patients from Manila and failed to report they had covid cases to the local government.  Someone must have bribed the cops to pass the checkpoints. The cops here are as useless as they are corrupt. 

The good news for me is they decided not to close grocery stores or stop food takeout or delivery. The local mayors are calling it fake news now after the governor and national government said they weren't supposed to do that. I guess someone did the math and realized there would be riots if people could not get food. The pawn shops are very busy as people with money send it to those who don't.  The lines are so long though that I don't want to risk it to send money to a couple of my friends who I would like to help.

One friend of mine climbed a jackfruit tree to get fruit to feed her family. I saw some kids harvesting mangos from a nearby tree a few days ago. Normally most people don't bother with the fruit that is high in the trees, as they have enough money to buy it and let someone poorer get the fruit.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away