Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

If y’all are having issues with extra dry and cracking skin from the hand washing, I found a hand lotion that has sanitizer included.

May not do shit but worth a go.

I’ve been concerned about having open cracks on my hands being a danger for an easy way for germs to enter my body. Obviously, can’t not wash my my hands but it’s a Catch-22 if open skin is a danger too.

Found this on Amazon last night.

f85701279ff588559921ce2848d30706.jpg

35 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Even Esports is cancelled. Never occurred to me that they all had to play from one spot to make sure no one is playing with mods. 

We’ve gotten some incredible eSports in different ways though. NASCAR on FS1 was something to behold. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I wore a mask the last time I made a trip to Kroger, possibly a week ago. It was the day of the first rumor that abbot was going to shut the state down, which is why I went, to stock up on perishables. I knew that if an announcement came shit would be even more insane in stores. So I put on jeans, a hoodie, a mask, and gloves. And I felt like a dumb, dumb weird motherfucker the entire time, to the point I found myself avoiding eye contact with folks. This was after a good half dozen mocking and patronizing looks from shoppers.  

breaking societal norms is fucking hard at times. I knew I was doing the right thing, and being safe for my family and others, but every instinct in me was I was being a giant faget. 

Asking, much less expecting, most of America to radically go against their culture and instincts was always going to be a losing proposition. It will take a massive death toll and Prolonged economic crisis to change how we operate fundamentally. And even then, I think it’s more likely that much of the uneducated or indifferent public will just do something like blame China or whatever cognitive dissonance is required to change nothing. Then again, I’m also a cynic. 

You should see the looks I get with the respirator, fuck them.   I mess around with some exotic hardwoods sometimes and pretty much have to wear goggles and mask.  A small splinter gets wildly infected inside a day, get one in the eye really sucks, not to mention how sick you get breathing the dust  

2 hours ago, bernorange said:

I spent a good hour shopping for balaclavas on Amazon the other day.  In the end I didn't pull the trigger even after I found one that I liked.  I'm still debating the wisdom of wearing it while shopping at HEB or Costco.

If you have just 1 n95 the balaclava would be a good cover up to keep the mask cleaner longer.  I personally think they would be pretty high up on the alternative materials chart posted somewhere back thread.  Not vacuum cleaner bag good but easily dish towel good.  The multi layer plus a somewhat pleated effect from bunching is logically a good thing.

• Like 1

It’s crazy to me how quickly this thing turned in the US. Personally - starting 4 weeks ago today my 7 year old son had a fever. 7 straight days of fever and dry cough. No other symptoms. He has asthma and needed breathing treatments every day. 2 negative flu tests. 1 negative strep test. 

His last day of fever was 3/7. On 3/11, we watched basketball on TV played in front of a crowd. Less than 48 hours later, not only were the conference and NCAAT cancelled but the CWS in June was as well. 

If my son had the same symptoms 1 or 2 weeks later, no doubt would assumed ‘rona and freaked out.  I’ll wonder for a while if he had it (and if we did). He coughed everywhere. 

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

US = over 19,400 new cases, 473 new deaths

Texas = 490 new cases (24% rise), and 5 new deaths (20% rise)

I wonder if we are bumping into testing limitations.   Obviously we don’t have enough tests, but for several days, it seemed like our testing capacity was rising.   

Don’t know if it’s a legitimate measurement  but US reported total leveling out last couple of days. Glad to not hit 20k today (yet). 

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

It's true, I just saw this guy walking out of the garage of a house in Morgantown.

escapehed.jpg

I heard he was dead...

Live in Brooklyn in a brownstone that backs up into a 3-sided courtyard with a total of maybe 20 apartments total. We’ve had fire escape happy hours the last 4 days and talking about kicking off tomorrow at 10AM for brunch. I worked from home for 17 years prior to moving up here so the work part is no big deal, but goddamn this cracker box gets smaller by the minute. At least they deliver hard liquor here....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

thats not good. nobody should be travelling especially from Ny/NJ

She's been in quarantine for two weeks.  No nuclear family other than the dogs.  Staying in an otherwise vacant house in Houston.

wow...

FANNIN COUNTY, Ga. — Fannin County is one of many that made an emergency declaration this week amid the coronavirus pandemic.

County sheriff’s officials are now clarifying that this means people from Atlanta with cabins in the area cannot go to their cabins at this time. The Fannin Sheriff’s Administration posted this on Facebook Thursday:

“I have received multiple inquiries wanting to know if people from Atlanta can come to their cabins. The answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Atlanta is under a “Shelter in Place” order. Our ordinance specifically prohibits this.”

Content Continues Below

According to the ordinance, a curfew is imposed from 9:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. effective 9:00 p.m. March 26, 2020. Residents, unless “exempt individuals” should stay in their homes or on their property during the curfew period.

[

Additionally, no person who is a resident of a state, county or city subject to a stay-at-home order or stay-at-home restriction and who is not currently physically present in Blue Ridge, Georgia is allowed to enter the city limits.

Violation of any term of the ordinance is punishable by a civil fine of $1,000 per violation.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Anyone thought about predicting the over under is on US deaths?

If it was at 200,000, which way would you go?

What would you set it at?

I'm going over, but I'm an optimist at heart. 

Just now, Brisketexan said:

By when?
I say by year end, I’ll take the over.

Yes.  Year end.  Where would you set it?  I feel like 200,000 is going to be close.  I also think a significant portion of that 200,000 would have been dead year end regardless.  Will be interesting to see how the total death rate is impacted.  There will be less deaths from the flu than normal because of precautions.  Less motor vehicle deaths.  More suicides.

Just now, Parliament said:

Apologies if this is posted upthread.  It has an "interactive curve."  The peak for all of the US is April 14.  Texas is April 18.  Spring comes later in North Dakota and we don't peak until April 25.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

If that is the peak, I will be happy.  I was thinking May.

I am praying there is a hail mary type win on treatment that works.  We are still so early on this new virus.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I think we are bailing out and heading to the ranch until this blows over.  Won't be anyone within miles.  Nearest town is 20 miles away.  Going to pack all the food in the fridge and deep freezer into coolers and take off.  We are working from home and kids are schooling from home.  Staying in the house is driving me nuts.  At least we can fish and turkey hunt there.  And look for sheds, hunt rattlers, and walk around outside all we want without worrying about getting this virus.

If I had that option I’d already be gone. Enjoy yourself 

• Like 1

I think we are bailing out and heading to the ranch until this blows over.  Won't be anyone within miles.  Nearest town is 20 miles away.  Going to pack all the food in the fridge and deep freezer into coolers and take off.  We are working from home and kids are schooling from home.  Staying in the house is driving me nuts.  At least we can fish and turkey hunt there.  And look for sheds, hunt rattlers, and walk around outside all we want without worrying about getting this virus.

#humblebrag

If I had a ranch, I would be there. Go have fun and be safe.

47 minutes ago, dcbc said:

She's been in quarantine for two weeks.  No nuclear family other than the dogs.  Staying in an otherwise vacant house in Houston.

good deal.  I wouldn't be worried but a lot of people would freak out.

• Like 1

Yes.  Year end.  Where would you set it?  I feel like 200,000 is going to be close.  I also think a significant portion of that 200,000 would have been dead year end regardless.  Will be interesting to see how the total death rate is impacted.  There will be less deaths from the flu than normal because of precautions.  Less motor vehicle deaths.  More suicides.

I really don’t know. Truly. So much depends on what we do. Thus far...I don’t see reason for optimism. I’d guess between 250k and 500k. Somewhere in the 300s....but shit, I dunno.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I really don’t know. Truly. So much depends on what we do. Thus far...I don’t see reason for optimism. I’d guess between 250k and 500k. Somewhere in the 300s....but shit, I dunno.

The only thing that gives me some optimism is that based on the number of people flying to the USA every day from Wuhan is that this SOB has been here for many months.  We aren't close to the peak.  I could see us hitting 100k by the time we peak.  And an equal number on the ride down.

And then we get another round when it inevitably ramps back up.

I am, overall, not optimistic either.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away