Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, Somnio said:

Pick up a generator on your way out of town.

I have one.  Be smart to grab another.  We have several thousand gallons in the tanks by the barn.  Can use one generator to run the freezers and fridge.  And the other to run the window units we have in the guest cabins in case things go to shit.

I don't think this virus will cost us our grid though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Don't even need to use the dryer plug.  Any common 20A circuit will run everything on a standard RV trailer, including the AC.  But yes, you can't run all of those appliances at the same time.

If you can get it close to your sewer cleanout, you can even run the RV waste directly into the sewer.  It's not exactly legal in many places, but right now I think law enforcement and code enforcement probably aren't too worried about it.

christmas vacation GIFgotta go christmas vacation GIF

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Don't even need to use the dryer plug.  Any common 20A circuit will run everything on a standard RV trailer, including the AC.  But yes, you can't run all of those appliances at the same time.

If you can get it close to your sewer cleanout, you can even run the RV waste directly into the sewer.  It's not exactly legal in many places, but right now I think law enforcement and code enforcement probably aren't too worried about it.

Damn good points all around.

13 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Thanks.  Like a ton.  We'll give that a try.

Seriously, if you have any questions at all about the RV, you can ask them on the camping threads here and we can help you out.  Or PM is fine too.  

Technically you should use the special white RV hose for drinking water, you'll need an adapter for the power cord from the standard RV 30A style, and if you can't park it close to your city sewer cleanout, then it's going to be a little harder to dump, you'll need a portable tank for the transfer.  But it's nothing that you can't manage.  Good luck.

edit-- if you're renting like the one that @Johnny Sack linked, then chances are the owner will provide the white hose and "stinky slinky" for sewer connection.  Maybe even the 30A-20A adapter.  But probably not a portable dump tank.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hate said:

You can drive the RV to a few places that will charge you to dump. It usually costs about $20. Google some places to dump, but if you are in a metro area there should be plenty of places.

Yup, and Flying J's usually let you for free.  But if they're having it delivered and dropped, might not have a tow vehicle that would do it.

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

You can drive the RV to a few places that will charge you to dump. It usually costs about $20. Google some places to dump, but if you are in a metro area there should be plenty of places.

So... Why not find an RV park near where you live and have them park it there with hook ups for 2 weeks?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

My daughter has lost her job in New York (not in the city), and she and her boyfriend want to come down and ride the rest out here.  We know that they would have to quarantine for at least 14 days, but we don't have a place for them to do that.  They can't quarantine in our house, for several reasons.  We're looking for a rental or hotel that we can afford, but no dice, yet.  I don't want to possibly bring more cases down here, but, damn, I need her closer to home.

Most people I know up here stopped going into the office more than 14 days ago (last day I went in was 3/11) and since they closed restaurants and bars 3/16 the streets have been mostly empty. Not saying there's not reason for caution, but she's probably been more or less quarantined for almost 14 days already.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Earlier today the president tweeted that they were looking into a federal quarantine of parts of NY, NJ, and CT.  Governors went ballistic and said it would be a "Federal declaration of warz!" and so the feds backed down and issued a strongly worded travel advisory (which NYers will immediately ignore.) 

Weird seeing a governor tell his cities to stay at home, then go nuts when the feds tell the same to stay at home.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/president-trump-considering-enforced-quarantine-on-new-york-parts-of-new-jersey-and-connecticut

there's a reason he did that but I'll leave it at that.

This is why we can’t have nice things.   That and tone-deaf city councils    

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/austin-parks-rec-closes-park-amenities-to-follow-social-distancing-guidelines

In an effort to promote social distancing and comply with the recent Stay Home- Work Safe Order, the Austin Parks and Recreation Department (PARD) says they have closed all park amenities with the exception of restrooms and water fountains, according to a press release.

• Basketball courts
  • Tennis courts
  • Skate parks
  • Playgrounds (which were already closed last week)
  • Exercise equipment (which were already closed last week)
  • Pavilions

“Park green space, trails and golf course green spaces--where social distancing can still be maintained—will remain open.”

You’re leaving the fucking bathrooms and water fountains open, saying you’ll sanitizer them multiple times a day.  And no argument about playground and exercise equipment.  But you have to close the tennis courts, pavilions, etc,, you know, places where people were actually getting exercise while maintaining social distancing from others   

But you’re leaving the fucking bathrooms and water fountains going.   I guess kids and people in unfortunate circumstances never use the bathrooms and water fountains in an unsanitary manner.   But we gotta close pavilions just  as it’s getting warmer.  
spacer.png

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is why we can’t have nice things.   That and tone-deaf city councils    

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/austin-parks-rec-closes-park-amenities-to-follow-social-distancing-guidelines

• Basketball courts
  • Tennis courts
  • Skate parks
  • Playgrounds (which were already closed last week)
  • Exercise equipment (which were already closed last week)
  • Pavilions

“Park green space, trails and golf course green spaces--where social distancing can still be maintained—will remain open.”

You’re leaving the fucking bathrooms and water fountains open, saying you’ll sanitizer them multiple times a day.  And no argument about playground and exercise equipment.  But you have to close the tennis courts, pavilions, etc,, you know, places where people were actually getting exercise while maintaining social distancing from others   

But you’re leaving the fucking bathrooms and water fountains going.   I guess kids and people in unfortunate circumstances never use the bathrooms and water fountains in an unsanitary manner.   But we gotta close pavilions just  as it’s getting warmer.  
spacer.png

everyone that is concerned we aren't in total Italy like lockdown should be happy.  we will never stop this thing if people don't quit leaving their houses.

20 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

So... Why not find an RV park near where you live and have them park it there with hook ups for 2 weeks?

Certainly an option but the driveway is free and it sounded like he was trying to keep costs down.  

But yeah, RV parks typically have weekly rates that are less than their daily,  and having full hookups definitely makes the waste situation easier.

Let's not even discuss the "fecal shedding" aspects of the coronavirus...

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

everyone that is concerned we aren't in total Italy like lockdown should be happy.  we will never stop this thing if people don't quit leaving their houses.

You know how I know you don’t have kids?  People can use those other areas and be responsible, and the tennis court or pavilions are a helluva lot safer than the water fountains and bathrooms    

And we are creeping towards closure of parks and trails.  From what it sounds like, a few council members are already there, and last week was the equipment (which actually made sense), and this week was the rest of the facilities (Where social distancing could actually be practiced), and it sounds like we are close to at least the parks themselves as a whole (closing off tennis courts, but not softball/baseball/soccer/etc. - gonna have to close those fields at some point).   

I’ve been a huge proponent of really shutting down as much interaction as possible from back in early February, but if we are at this point, then we need to start talking about home improvement stores, Walmart, the grocery stores, and all of those “essential” workers that aren’t that essential.

Because yes, you are stopping 10-20 people a day from using the tennis court, but how does that compare to my neighbor bitching about being around dozens of people in a Home Depot in a single span of 10 minutes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You know how I know you don’t have kids?  People can use those other areas and be responsible, and the tennis court or pavilions are a helluva lot safer than the water fountains and bathrooms    

And we are creeping towards closure of parks and trails.  From what it sounds like, a few council members are already there, and last week was the equipment (which actually made sense), and this week was the rest of the facilities (Where social distancing could actually be practiced), and it sounds like we are close to at least the parks themselves as a whole (closing off tennis courts, but not softball/baseball/soccer/etc. - gonna have to close those fields at some point).   

I’ve been a huge proponent of really shutting down as much interaction as possible from back in early February, but if we are at this point, then we need to start talking about home improvement stores, Walmart, the grocery stores, and all of those “essential” workers that aren’t that essential.

Because yes, you are stopping 10-20 people a day from using the tennis court, but how does that compare to my neighbor bitching about being around dozens of people in a Home Depot in a single span of 10 minutes.

nobody can be personally responsible.  haven't you heard, we have large numbers of idiots leaving their houses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Au contraire. This is the exact thing I’m worried about.  

While this doesn’t address the spread within Texas from community-to-community, including those communities with looser restrictions than a major chunk of the state population, they do have DPS troopers showing up to check on you, if you’ve visited certain other states.

But only if you fly in    If you drive in, it’s all good.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/dps-troopers-enforce-gov-abbotts-quarantine-order-for-travelers-arriving-in-austin/

DPS troopers were at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport on Saturday, awaiting travelers coming in on flights from Connecticut, New Orleans, New Jersey and New York.

They stood as information gatherers, as described by Sgt. Deon Cockrell, Public Information Officer for the Texas Department of Public Safety, making sure each one filled out a form with identifying information and where they would be self-quarantining. 

An airport spokeswoman said DPS planned to have passengers remain onboard the aircraft until they had their forms filled out. Travelers also have the option to fill out the form online before traveling on the DPS website.

That order says all travelers from those cities coming to Texas should self-quarantine immediately after arrival for 14-days, or for the duration of their trip to the Lone Star state, whichever length of time is shorter.

DPS Special Agents will be conducting unannounced visits to quarantine locations listed on the forms completed by travelers. The punishment for not following the order includes fine of up to $1,000, or up to 180 days in jail or both.

The order does not cover those traveling to the state by car.

Edited by atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, triplehorn said:

That's the killer for us right there.  China shut down at like 2000 cases and diagnosed 80k with 3000 deaths (increasingly likely underreported numbers).  We blew past 100k cases yesterday and still have piecemeal shutdowns leaving many millions - at least the population of Italy alone - exposed here.  Do we end up with 4M cases in the next 3-4 weeks?  2% CFR is 80k deaths.  80k would be a shock insofar as that could be a rapid hit before May is over.  I hate to think about it, but the numbers can escalate so fast you lose your bearings.  It'll be higher if our system crashes, but I don't think that much higher, mainly because whether you have a ventilator or not doesn't seem to be the primary factor determining survival - it's being fortunate enough to not need a vent.

How many more times do you need to be told that China’s numbers are as fucked up as a football bat? 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

How many more times do you need to be told that China’s numbers are as fucked up as a football bat? 

Care to add to that ?

Ballpark ratios at the start of total shutdowns vs topping out numbers is all I’m looking at.  Italy and Spain proportionally are about the same or worse, worse when deaths are factored in.  It’s just that our numbers without even a full shutdown today already are off the charts and we have a big population relative to ITA and ESP.  Brace for a lot of American deaths in April and May.

So I'm in a province in Canada that has about 1.1m people, and we're up to 134 confirmed cases. Nineteen of those cases can be traced to a single snowmobile rally that took place March 14th, and another 11 are doctors who picked it up at an out of province curling bonspiel March 11th to 14th.

Not sure if any of the remaining cases are community transmission from these 30, but crazy how an event or two can kickstart things for a whole jurisdiction. 

20 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Care to add to that ?

Ballpark ratios at the start of total shutdowns vs topping out numbers is all I’m looking at.  Italy and Spain proportionally are about the same or worse, worse when deaths are factored in.  It’s just that our numbers without even a full shutdown today already are off the charts and we have a big population relative to ITA and ESP.  Brace for a lot of American deaths in April and May.

Anyone can add to that, look at China's numbers and throw them out the window, they are meaningless in any way. Look at other countries that have reliable numbers. 

• Like 2

I have one.  Be smart to grab another.  We have several thousand gallons in the tanks by the barn.  Can use one generator to run the freezers and fridge.  And the other to run the window units we have in the guest cabins in case things go to shit.
I don't think this virus will cost us our grid though.
Lol you have guest cabins. I thought your first post was good but I love the slow burn humble brag you pulled off.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Those are your emergency standards.

Not mine.

hang in there man. try to get some sleep and don't get too blitzed. some nights are harder than others. make sure you sleep. and maybe take a pause on the webs and play a video game or something that is immersing. thats what i do otherwise i get riled the F up

i had my worse night ever last night. breathing problems got worse. i thought the amberlamps was the next call. got some new meds. made myself play  a video game for 4 hours today to try and lose my mind a bit. it helped for sure. 

Edited by staboner

15 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I just ate a napkin. It was stuck to the tortilla of the taco I just made, and it didn't matter. 

It was fine.

It is funnier when read from a foreign perspective where the word napkin only refers to a feminine hygiene product.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Earlier today the president tweeted that they were looking into a federal quarantine of parts of NY, NJ, and CT.  Governors went ballistic and said it would be a "Federal declaration of warz!" and so the feds backed down and issued a strongly worded travel advisory (which NYers will immediately ignore.) 

Weird seeing a governor tell his cities to stay at home, then go nuts when the feds tell the same to stay at home.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/president-trump-considering-enforced-quarantine-on-new-york-parts-of-new-jersey-and-connecticut

Fuck Cumo. What a fraud. Half of the cases are from your area. You Push New Yorkers to avoid each other but threaten to sue when others try to do the same. 

Guess we can call it the Cumo virus when New York kills us all. Fuck that shithole 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 17

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away