Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Fuck Cumo. What a fraud. Half of the cases are from your area. You Push New Yorkers to avoid each other but threaten to sue when others try to do the same. 

Guess we can call it the Cumo virus when New York kills us all. Fuck that shithole 
First, it is Cuomo. And second, the quarantine was a bad idea, and had zero forethought behind it.

My folks are in Belton, and I've had folks ask me why I am staying up here. Honestly, there are a lot of reasons but partmy because most folks in New York that I see (Manhattan anyway) ARE taking this seriously.

This is the Wien Walk in CP yesterday. Those benches are usually full and tons of people walking.

d75951dae392a931e084b73bc917e59e.jpg
  • Like 5

Yeah, I am a bit confused by people choosing to flee NY at this time. If most people have been locked down for weeks, and the pictures seem to support that, hunkering down seems as safe as pulling stakes and driving cross country to me. 

You either have it and are asymptomatic, or youre incubating, but either way every day without symptoms is another day closer in a place that already is further along the curve, whether flat or spiked. Driving to the next place that is about to blow up doesn’t seem like the best idea. 

• Like 1

My guess is that in my neighborhood in Austin, social distancing is at 50%. Quite a few cars on the streets. Also multiple people in each car. If you have more than one person in a car, you are not going to HEB or CVS.

9 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The only thing that gives me pause is I cannot order groceries like I can in Houston.  But I have probably 3 months of food I can take plus our huge pantry of food and multiple freezers loaded with meat down there.

I'll run out of booze, which I have at least a two month's supply of, before I need to run into town for food.  And that little fart of a town's HEB has less risk of exposing me than the one on Buffalo Speedway.

If things got apocalyptic, I could kill 6 deer in about 5 minutes with a Q Beam and my .270.  And put them in the walk in cooler.

Of course if the power grid gets knocked out, that would suck in a hurry.

Plant a garden and learn how to can.

Cold and rainy here in Chicago.  Social distancing scores are still great.  

But seriously, in a month I don’t see this city or many being able to maintain.  Luckily the worst of this is only a couple weeks away, after which we should see light at the end of the tunnel.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, XYZ said:

My guess is that in my neighborhood in Austin, social distancing is at 50%. Quite a few cars on the streets. Also multiple people in each car. If you have more than one person in a car, you are not going to HEB or CVS.

We have taken a couple of drives out to CVS (drive thru) and around  the neighborhood - not getting out of the car. 

Edited by Armybrat

Just now, Armybrat said:

We have taken a couple of drives out to CVS (drive thru) and around ti the neighborhood - not getting out of the car. 

Yeah may family and I have taken a few drives as well.  Didn't stop, didn't get out of car, didn't endanger anyone else or ourselves. 

So I'm not sure "more than 1 person in a car" directly implies a lack of social distancing.

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Cold and rainy here in Chicago.  Social distancing scores are still great.  

But seriously, in a month I don’t see this city or many being able to maintain.  Luckily the worst of this is only a couple weeks away, after which we should see light at the end of the tunnel.  

Isn't the consensus that many places will peak in a few weeks? If that's the case and we stop social distancing so aggressively in a month, we will just be giving oxygen back to a fire. 

5 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I just ate a napkin. It was stuck to the tortilla of the taco I just made, and it didn't matter. 

It was fine.

5 hours ago, RayDog said:

It is funnier when read from a foreign perspective where the word napkin only refers to a feminine hygiene product.

That’s exactly what he meant.

• Haha 2

Just now, Captainant said:

Isn't the consensus that many places will peak in a few weeks? If that's the case and we stop social distancing so aggressively in a month, we will just be giving oxygen back to a fire. 

I think the doc is referring to how long people will actually do it not what should be done.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Oh no, I think we slowly let out around May 1 in zones that have cooled.  That doesn’t mean fully packed bars etc...

10 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Under. Easily under 

I like the optimism, and I still have some hope, (more than speculation) that you're right.

9 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

My daughter has lost her job in New York (not in the city), and she and her boyfriend want to come down and ride the rest out here.  We know that they would have to quarantine for at least 14 days, but we don't have a place for them to do that.  They can't quarantine in our house, for several reasons.  We're looking for a rental or hotel that we can afford, but no dice, yet.  I don't want to possibly bring more cases down here, but, damn, I need her closer to home.

campground and a trailer.

8 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Getting shot will send a message, for sure.

Actually all the shootings, or the vast majority occur in the summer.  Not even shootings can keep Chicagoans in once the weather is nice.  Greatest city in the US of A for those few weeks of summer.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

If it peaks in mid-late April, Wife & I aren’t going to relax our SQ until end of May and will still maintain precautions from then on.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It’s pretty much just like the flu, I mean it’s knocking off relatively healthy people under 40 but why sweat the details.  

I still see one or two holdouts on Facebook that covid-19 is obviously less dangerous than the flu. Had to remove one friend (high school classmate from 30+ yrs ago) when she started posting about Q and covid response.(no Cr)

• Like 1

A stormtrooper mask popped on my Facebook the other day.  I thought about buying it to wear out and about.  Not for safety, but just to freak people out.

Here’s the only mask I have. I don’t think it would be appreciated in public.

f9a30514d2251e7bd7bc44704c830f0a.jpg
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I still see one or two holdouts on Facebook that covid-19 is obviously less dangerous than the flu. Had to remove one friend (high school classmate from 30+ yrs ago) when she started posting about Q and covid response.(no Cr)

Dude, those posters are like comedy gold.

14 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I've been a weirdo in small town TN pretty much since I moved here.

I put on my mask, hat (kept in the car), gloves, hiking type pants, under armour/nike shirt, gun (no fucking CR, I always carry) and glasses and roll out like a wild west outlaw.

Fuck it, if imma be the weirdo, I'm going to be the wild west outlaw weirdo. I straight eye check anyone that gets close, with confidence. You'd be surprised how quickly they "social distance" when a masked guy, with glasses, in "combat" looking pants, and a hat straight checks them with a get the fuck away from me motherfucker look.

Come at me bro!

When I go shopping now I put on my robe and wizard hat

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Actually all the shootings, or the vast majority occur in the summer.  Not even shootings can keep Chicagoans in once the weather is nice.  Greatest city in the US of A for those few weeks of summer.  

Word. And I’ll probably miss this year’s trip dammit.

Fuck Cumo. What a fraud. Half of the cases are from your area. You Push New Yorkers to avoid each other but threaten to sue when others try to do the same. 

Guess we can call it the Cumo virus when New York kills us all. Fuck that shithole 

I'm sure I could go upthread and find you whining about politics.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, I am a bit confused by people choosing to flee NY at this time. If most people have been locked down for weeks, and the pictures seem to support that, hunkering down seems as safe as pulling stakes and driving cross country to me. 

You either have it and are asymptomatic, or youre incubating, but either way every day without symptoms is another day closer in a place that already is further along the curve, whether flat or spiked. Driving to the next place that is about to blow up doesn’t seem like the best idea. 

I dont get this either.   And Cuomo was trying hard yesterday to debate the logic.  If NYers flee in numbers to other places they must make it worse.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I was there for a week in October, 2002 and it was beautiful, perfect weather.

Easy to talk shit about it, but it's still a great town.  I was thinking just yesterday about the food shacks( probably food trucks now) with the big flat griddles grilling up pork chops, dogs, and a Polish or 8.  Damn that grub was good.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 2

Oh no, I think we slowly let out around May 1 in zones that have cooled.  That doesn’t mean fully packed bars etc...

Exactly. I could see them allowing restaurants to reopen, but at half capacity. Bars are tougher, but if strictly enforced half capacity for some, maybe less. I think retail would start back up, but maybe limit numbers of customers inside at one time. On gyms, allow them to open up but reduce capacity. 

Of course, if there is a viable treatment plan to prevents cases from becoming serious or critical as well as mass testing (preferably rapid results testing and at home antibody tests), then perhaps things can go back to normal quicker.

You know how I know you don’t have kids?  People can use those other areas and be responsible, and the tennis court or pavilions are a helluva lot safer than the water fountains and bathrooms    
And we are creeping towards closure of parks and trails.  From what it sounds like, a few council members are already there, and last week was the equipment (which actually made sense), and this week was the rest of the facilities (Where social distancing could actually be practiced), and it sounds like we are close to at least the parks themselves as a whole (closing off tennis courts, but not softball/baseball/soccer/etc. - gonna have to close those fields at some point).   
I’ve been a huge proponent of really shutting down as much interaction as possible from back in early February, but if we are at this point, then we need to start talking about home improvement stores, Walmart, the grocery stores, and all of those “essential” workers that aren’t that essential.
 Because yes, you are stopping 10-20 people a day from using the tennis court, but how does that compare to my neighbor bitching about being around dozens of people in a Home Depot in a single span of 10 minutes.

Preaching to the choir. I’ve been say in for over a week that these “Shelter in place” orders are pretty worthless.

Sure some businesses are closed. But about 75-80% or business are deemed “essential” it’s only partially helping.

I’m sure it’s slowed the spread some, but it’ll be negligible when all’s said and done.

I mean why are car dealerships open? Sure you can say car/tire repair shops are essential for people to get around if something is wrong with their car. But they should be skeleton staffed. They shouldn’t be so busy it’s like a Saturday morning every freaking day.

And who is looking for a car right now? Wouldn’t that violate the “Shelter in place order” by doing something that’s not essential(shopping for a car)?

And car washes are open. And pawn shops. I mean really?
  • Like 2

It’s a source of income for the less fortunate, and thieves.

So “essential”. Got it.

How about Car Washes? They took away the vacuums. How you gonna let me wash my car but not vacuum it out?!? The travesty.

3 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

It’s a source of income for the less fortunate, and thieves.

Hadn't really thought of that, but yeah-- there are likely people that are having to sell off their valuables to buy food and pay rent.  So pawn shops might actually be way more "essential" than Lowes...

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

First, it is Cuomo. And second, the quarantine was a bad idea, and had zero forethought behind it.

My folks are in Belton, and I've had folks ask me why I am staying up here. Honestly, there are a lot of reasons but partmy because most folks in New York that I see (Manhattan anyway) ARE taking this seriously.

This is the Wien Walk in CP yesterday. Those benches are usually full and tons of people walking.

d75951dae392a931e084b73bc917e59e.jpg

nm

Edited by Iceman

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Hadn't really thought of that, but yeah-- there are likely people that are having to sell off their valuables to buy food and pay rent.  So pawn shops might actually be way more "essential" than Lowes...

Lowe’s is pretty essential. Homes still need repair. But the garden center probably not.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away