Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You'd definitely need that crazy cop hater from shaggy.  VAPA?  The guy with the tricked out mitsubishi eclipse?  The whole car was booby trapped on the off chance a cop pulled him over.  I think he's only behind TxTow when it comes to Shaggy/Surly nutters.  Anyways, this would be a great show. 

He posts here now as PilotsError

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

OK, so why not start with NY and NoLA now and roll it out

I'm gonna guess most of those with the means to leave have already boogied to elsewhere by now.  It seems a bit closing the barn door in hindsight but if it makes people feel better go ahead.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

So now the lawyer schmucks are suing over their rights being infringed with shelter in place orders (McKinney and NYC) .  How about my rights not to get dead because you're an arrogant ass?

I don't believe you.

Lawyers are so reasonable...

10 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Then why no corresponding hospitalization and death rate until now? 

This.  It seems like every day or so someone chimes in with the ol "tens of thousands had this months ago" without even attempting to use common sense as to why that almost certainly isn't the case.

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Wait, there are people on here that believe the US only has 130,000 cases right now?

lol Easily add one zero to that, maybe even two very soon

We have had 8 of our friends tested.  All 8 are positive.  As far as we know about 60 people all have it as they went pretty hard St. Pat's weekend.  Nobody has needed hospitalization but yes, there's no way we don't have over a million cases.  To me, that's actually good news...get the fucking antibody testing going.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

That last paragraph is key.  Schmucks like me have no chance in hell getting antibody testing but JH, NW and BSW have reached out to Henry Schein to get antibody tests in bulk.  That company was approved just last week and is about to churn em out in bulk.  

Mt. Sinai developed their own antibody test which has been approved by the FDA.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

We have had 8 of our friends tested.  All 8 are positive.  As far as we know about 60 people all have it as they went pretty hard St. Pat's weekend.  Nobody has needed hospitalization but yes, there's no way we don't have over a million cases.  To me, that's actually good news...get the fucking antibody testing going.  

All of the anesthesia group i work for is praying for the antibody test to get through as quickly as possible. However, the more i read, the more i believe there are either multiple strains out there, or viral load alone is taking out motherfuckers left or right

nothing else explains the 30% higher death rate/symptom expression in healthcare workers. Even if I were to test antibody positive, i still would want to minimize my exposure wherever possible

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Wait, there are people on here that believe the US only has 130,000 cases right now?

You are cut off from making predictions dude.   Pretty sure you were expecting more than 10K deaths per day and a complete breakdown of society by now.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

Agreed. One Third Of All Coronavirus Cases Show No Symptoms, Classified China Data Reveals  40000 not even included in known cases.

Most will experience super mild symptoms or asymptomatic. Probably tens of thousands in the us have this and had months ago. 

This is what a NUMBER of us have been saying.

1.  China's numbers are shit

2.  This thing was here MUCH earliler than we knew, and many of us likely had it and NEVER knew.

3.  We need an at home antibody test stat becuase if I have NOT been exposed, I am not risking exposure to go to a fucking hospital (those places are ick) to get one.

16 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh shit. 

14 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Is there a thread somewhere which says who's who from the old site?

Ok guys, I was kidding. Mostly. I don’t know if he’s vapa he just posts about cops a ton. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

How many of us are dead already?

Chitown, what are you hearing about expectations here in Chicago over the next couple? Are you guys anticipating a NY type overrun? Seems like they expect a peak around mid-April, but so far reported numbers seem muted. 

Also what is time to really do big rollout of antibody tests? Figure you get a million people off the couch because of immunity we start mitigating economic damage. This is our best hope short term. 

And thanks a ton to you and everyone else in the front lines on this thing. 

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

All of the anesthesia group i work for is praying for the antibody test to get through as quickly as possible. However, the more i read, the more i believe there are either multiple strains out there, or viral load alone is taking out motherfuckers left or right

nothing else explains the 30% higher death rate/symptom expression in healthcare workers. Even if I were to test antibody positive, i still would want to minimize my exposure wherever possible

It's really difficult to get good studies out with the shitty numbers we have to work with.  Tracking is not accurate and when you extrapolate with bad numbers, shit can start to look very out of whack.  I wouldn't run around scared but you should also be careful, obviously.  A fine line.  Personally, if I showed I had antibodies, I could sleep a lot easier.  There is very little chance anyone with a sound immune system is going to get this twice.  And my biggest fear is not getting it - it's spreading it to patients.  Once I can rest easy on that, I'll be in a much better frame of mind.  I'll also feel less guilty getting the fuck out of my house the second we can...not just to work and come back.  That's no way to live. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol i said nothing of the sort but keep making stuff up

This was your brilliant analysis of the situation on March 19th:   "Id bet 20%, maybe more of us on here have it or have already had it. At this point its almost better to go no quarantine and let the chips fall where they may. We have already treaded into no-mans land at this point. The healthcare system is going to be overrun in a week no matter what we do"

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bullzak said:

Chitown, what are you hearing about expectations here in Chicago over the next couple? Are you guys anticipating a NY type overrun? Seems like they expect a peak around mid-April, but so far reported numbers seem muted. 

Also what is time to really do big rollout of antibody tests? Figure you get a million people off the couch because of immunity we start mitigating economic damage. This is our best hope short term. 

And thanks a ton to you and everyone else in the front lines on this thing. 

We are loaded up on PPE and ready around here.  Things are starting to get bad...April 10-14 peak is what we are hearing around these parts.  But the guys at the top are like let's get this show going.  The real time workers in the ER etc are busy enough and are like...if this isn't the surge - the surge will suck.  And they are right.  

Just now, Skipper said:

This was your brilliant analysis of the situation on March 19th:   "Id bet 20%, maybe more of us on here have it or have already had it. At this point its almost better to go no quarantine and let the chips fall where they may. We have already treaded into no-mans land at this point. The healthcare system is going to be overrun in a week no matter what we do"

Ha, I forgot what this theory is called but it counts on herd immunity.  The UK started with this in mind - they quickly were like...nope nope nope and did a 180.  Your healthcare system is left smoldering in the dumpster if you go that route.  Funny that seemed like where the US was originally going to go with this but without sitting in the intelligence committee meetings it's impossible to know.  I think from what has come out it was obvious both parties knew it would be bad but they didn't act right away - so maybe that was, in fact, the strategy we were considering?  And don't take the last couple sentences to CR this thing.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It's really difficult to get good studies out with the shitty numbers we have to work with.  Tracking is not accurate and when you extrapolate with bad numbers, shit can start to look very out of whack.  I wouldn't run around scared but you should also be careful, obviously.  A fine line.  Personally, if I showed I had antibodies, I could sleep a lot easier.  There is very little chance anyone with a sound immune system is going to get this twice.  And my biggest fear is not getting it - it's spreading it to patients.  Once I can rest easy on that, I'll be in a much better frame of mind.  I'll also feel less guilty getting the fuck out of my house the second we can...not just to work and come back.  That's no way to live. 

Do you know of any places we could donate to that would benefit our front line healthcare workers? I'm thinking something like organizations that are buying PPE or providing childcare for the community. I'd like to help that group more if I can. 

6 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

First, it is Cuomo. And second, the quarantine was a bad idea, and had zero forethought behind it.

My folks are in Belton, and I've had folks ask me why I am staying up here. Honestly, there are a lot of reasons but partmy because most folks in New York that I see (Manhattan anyway) ARE taking this seriously.

This is the Wien Walk in CP yesterday. Those benches are usually full and tons of people walking.

d75951dae392a931e084b73bc917e59e.jpg

This isn't a recent thing either; I took this a week ago yesterday standing in the middle of 72nd at Broadway, about 2PM on a gorgeous day

IMG-1799.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Do you know of any places we could donate to that would benefit our front line healthcare workers? I'm thinking something like organizations that are buying PPE or providing childcare for the community. I'd like to help that group more if I can. 

I'll ask around.  The lowest morale now with be in nursing homes/skilled rehab facilities.  Not even doctors are allowed in several now...just nurses alone and the doctors teleconference in.  Every Monday we start with a full breakdown of what has changed and where hot spots may be along with a new estimate of needs / timeline to peak etc.  So I should know a lot more after tomorrow. 

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ha, I forgot what this theory is called but it counts on herd immunity.  The UK started with this in mind - they quickly were like...nope nope nope and did a 180.  Your healthcare system is left smoldering in the dumpster if you go that route.  Funny that seemed like where the US was originally going to go with this but without sitting in the intelligence committee meetings it's impossible to know.  I think from what has come out it was obvious both parties knew it would be bad but they didn't act right away - so maybe that was, in fact, the strategy we were considering?  And don't take the last couple sentences to CR this thing.  

The 'strategy' part of the quote wasn't what blew my mind then or now.  It was the disconnect in the statement that (i) 20% of the population had it but (ii) but in less than a week, then, and only then, would our healthcare system would implode.  Hell, if 20% of the US population had it by March 19th and our healthcare system hadn't already completely imploded, then this virus wouldn't be anything to worry about at all and this has all been a massive waste of our time.  Because that would mean both a significantly higher RO and massively lower CFR if it had blown through 65 Million people with hardly anyone noticing.  I mean only about 8% of the US population gets the flu in a given flu season and that will stress hospitals at times.  But somehow in Greenspoint's mind, Covid already had a 20% saturation rate, but was only then, that very week, going to magically implode healthcare. 

It's one thing for Greenspoint to be panicked and make doomsday statements but at least make them logically consistent. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It's one thing for Greenspoint to be panicked and make doomsday statements but at least make them logically consistent. 

It's almost like you've never seen him post on game threads.

Go pick a game where we were behind early and look for some posts from him.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The 'strategy' part of the quote wasn't what blew my mind then or now.  It was the disconnect in the statement that (i) 20% of the population had it but (ii) but in less than a week, then, and only then, would our healthcare system would implode.  Hell, if 20% of the US population had it by March 19th and our healthcare system hadn't already completely imploded, then this virus wouldn't be anything to worry about at all and this has all been a massive waste of our time.  Because that would mean both a significantly higher RO and massively lower CFR if it had blown through 65 Million people with hardly anyone noticing.  I mean only about 8% of the US population gets the flu in a given flu season and that will stress hospitals at times.  But somehow in Greenspoint's mind, Covid already had a 20% saturation rate, but was only then, that very week, going to magically implode healthcare. 

I ignored a lot of the predictions.  Not bad people but bad numbers and data.  Was impossible to predict with much accuracy.  

50 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I'm gonna guess most of those with the means to leave have already boogied to elsewhere by now.  It seems a bit closing the barn door in hindsight but if it makes people feel better go ahead.

fair enough.  if one person gets out and infects someone who infects a nursing home people will die.  if it just saves one life it will be worth it.

29 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

if you want to forget about the covid for 4 minutes, check out the honey badger who really absolutely positively gives negative fucks:

That's awesome.

The other day one of the kiddos was playing some game on roblox on their ipad. He was buying a pet and had a choice of a panda, honey badger or bear. I told him honey badger for sure.

about 10 minutes later he says "OMG my friend spent all of his money on a Cobra, it's the most expensive pet in the game, and my honey badger just ate him"

me: "Yep, honey badger don't give a shit"

I then showed them the honey badger video and they could not stop laughing.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

He posts here now as PilotsError

I don't think that's right.  PilotsError was on TOS too.  he hates cops differently than Vapa did.  Vapa hates them from a rights and constitutional perspective while PilotsError thinks all cops beat citizens daily while also planting meth on them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I agree.13M is a good estimate.  that means the fatality rate is around .015%.  lower than H1N1, allegedly.  well done.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

I don't think that's right.  PilotsError was on TOS too.  he hates cops differently than Vapa did.  Vapa hates them from a rights and constitutional perspective while PilotsError thinks all cops beat citizens daily while also planting meth on them. 

they don't?  that's not what I see on Live PD which I hear is a great representation of 100% of cop/citizen interaction.

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

It is too late for a quarantine  of NYC to matter much. Every state has a significant number of infections at this point. Quarantining NY from the rest of the country isn't going to prevent spread from the infections already present. 

Well stopping/preventing spread isn’t the goal right now.  Slowing the spread is absolutely the goal.   Preventing a mass exodus of people from NY will absolutely help slow the spread   

• Like 1

I am becoming more and more upset the CDC is refusing to issue guidance on wearing masks at all times outside of your homes. The data is pretty cut and dry from other countries where mandatory use is markedly reducing spread . Wearing masks provides 3 common sense protections.

1. Masks offer SOME protection for the person wearing it to not get infected.

2. Masks keep the virus from spreading from those who have it and may not know it.

3. Masks keep you from touching your face.

The ONLY reason I can see them saying not to wear masks at all time is due to shortages and to protect from a run on them BUT....you can make at home masks which work. To me personally I think it is criminal for the CDC to not issue guidance on this. And every day they dont speak up is a day where the curve continues to sharpen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Redmen62 said:

There are two Karens in this story. 

If giving a shit about my personal freedoms and not liking cops rolling up on my front lawn and scaring the fuck out of kids makes me a Karen, I can live with it. When the same kind of shit rolls your way, let’s see how insouciant you are. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So I had a surreal first hand experience with the scary direction of where this could head, yesterday. My kids were playing in the front of our Galveston house and I look out at them and see four cop vehicles in front of my house. No one is down here hardly at all, so I’m like “WTF is going on?”. 

I go outside and the cops, keeping their distance, are talking to the kids and then see me and the first one up says “Sir, we’re going to have to ask you and your family to pack up and vacate the premises within the next 30 minutes. We’re here to ensure that you do that.”

”First, I’m going to need you to step off my property. “

”Sir”. 

“Step off of my driveway right fucking now, please.” 

Cops back up into the street. 

“Now what is going on?”

”An ordinance was passed last night that requires all short term renters to leave the city and county immediately.”

(I’m infuriated) “Well, that’s not happening. I own this property outright and have for years.”

”Sir, calm down.”

”You’ve shown up to my house to threaten to forcibly remove me in front of my little kids.  Don’t tell me to calm down.”

”The city marshal sent us out here, we’re just doing our jobs. “

”Well and good but you’ve got bad information. We live here.”

”How often do you live here?”

”That is none of your business and a further invasion of my privacy. The hell with it, here is my drivers license. Why don’t y’all call this in and get this shit straight.”

They then do that and apologize profusely and leave. They acted like I had a rattlesnake when I walked towards them to hand them my license. 

Apparently, a busybody Karen down the street who lives here permanently decided that we were renters and needed to be tattled on. We’ve filed complaints regarding this bullshit to the POA and sent an email directly to the marshal himself asking for an explanation of what fucking evidence he thought he had to do something like that and literally said in the email, “pandemic or not, this isn’t nazi Germany and we have rights as private citizens. “ Fucking bullshit. 

Meanwhile, hotels and RV parks remained fucking open until enough complaints went in last night and now they’re closing all of those. 

I also saw a fucking story from KHOU today showing people how they can anonymously rat on businesses for being open that they think shouldn’t be. If this is where we’re headed, people won’t tolerate it en masse more sooner than later and we’ll throw the whole premise of sheltering in place out the window and take our fucking chances. I’d rather die heaving on a hospital floor than live under a police state where the next door neighbor can have you thrown in jail on a whim. 

Sorry for the rant. 

Why the fuck does it matter how often you live there to them?

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away