Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

His vocabulary is impressive. It makes one think he looks like this:

29224ad8a30d117460b46ddcc414c852.jpg

I have a sneaky suspicion it might be more like this:

ca51b8f9133190175321d8f6a91e8c98.jpg

I have to tell you, Dbeasy, I’ve never thought about what you looked like. Creepy. If it helps, usually Vince Vaughn is what I hear. Sometimes Brad Pitt or a young Kevin Costner. Yep.  Mostly Vince Vaughn though. SydneyCarton’s celebrity doppelgänger is a guy from Whataburger commercials. HenryJames is Henry Rollins, circa Heat. 

Just now, Pancho said:

Summary pls. 

1) If we can, every human needs to wear a mask

2) Social distancing needs to continue for at least another 2 months

3) hotspots/contact tracing/enforcement of quarantines should be priority

tldr - nothing we dont overly already know, but basically these are the only things we can do moving forward that will end this earlier than it will be. 

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

1) If we can, every human needs to wear a mask

2) Social distancing needs to continue for at least another 2 months

3) hotspots/contact tracing/enforcement of quarantines should be priority

tldr - nothing we dont overly already know, but basically these are the only things we can do moving forward that will end this earlier than it will be. 

The guy didn't mention antibody testing?  Hard to take anyone who doesn't mention that as a top 3 need seriously. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HRSchenker said:

I was wearing a mask for awhile but it freaked out A LOT of people. I'm talking about people coming up to me at grocery stores telling me to get the fuck out.

You should have taken it off and asked them to repeat themselves.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I was wearing a mask for awhile but it freaked out A LOT of people. I'm talking about people coming up to me at grocery stores telling me to get the fuck out.

Where the fuck do you go shopping for groceries? I'm still wearing my mask and gloves and no one has said jack shit.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I have seen people wearing fucking gas masks, like full helmet shit and nobody has said anything to them when I was there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaggybevo said:

France officially recognizes chloroquine as treatment... sounds like some good news!

Debate Ends Over Chloroquine as France Officially Sanctions Usage

"Days after beginning a large scale double blinded trial, the so called gold standard, France has now reached the conclusion chloroquine is recommended to treat corona.

Speaking at a news conference, Jérôme Salomon (pictured), France’s director general of health, said the officially sanctioned prescriptions of chloroquine to treat corona “allows a temporary authorization to allow certain patients with coronavirus to benefit from this therapeutic route.”

Doctors in France now will finally be able to treat patients with Didier Raoult, a renown doctor that specializes in infectious diseases, announcing new clinical results that show out of 80 patients treated with chloroquine, 78 recovered within 5 days."

https://www.trustnodes.com/2020/03/28/debate-ends-over-chloroquine-as-france-officially-sanctions-usage

It would be very interesting to know the ages of the 80 patients.  also hoping all are type A...

33 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

And this is why you need to have the numbers put into perspective.  In the last 24 hours, there were a total of 104 deaths in NYC.  So there are now 776 deaths in NYC, but there were 672 deaths as of 4 PM yesterday (today's update was at 4:15 PM).  That is an increase of 15% over the prior day.

New cases in NYC were 2,709, an increase of only 9%.  I have a feeling the NYC social distancing will start coming into play in the numbers soon.  I think we peak sometime this week or early next.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

24 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

There should an urgency now to implement strong mitigation measures and prepare their healthcare system”

Narrator: There’s not.   I really don’t understand it.  They have the green light from Washington.  

And it’s not just Florida, we need a statewide policy that’s on par with what the big cities in Texas are doing.   They aren’t perfect, but they are better than many counties and cities doing the bare minimum that Abbott outlined. And might help slow down in-state transmission.    

I don’t know what these state officials are thinking.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

It would be very interesting to know the ages of the 80 patients.  also hoping all are type A...

Lol, the debate over chloroquine is gonna pick up now that France is approving it. Why Type A? What you got against Types B, O, and AB? Don't get me started on Rh groups.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

@ChiTownDoc is it possible to pull that many beds together from elective surgery?   Don’t they need to be in isolated areas or do a lot of hospitals have that kind of setup already.  

You don't isolate an entire unit.  You isolate room by room.  So you can convert a lot of rooms to stepdown ICU type beds.  Not true ICU but close.  So many units that were for elective surgery could be converted to COVID type units without too much of an issue. 

6 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Where the fuck do you go shopping for groceries? I'm still wearing my mask and gloves and no one has said jack shit.

we need color coded masks.  green no covid, yellow might have covid or could be oak pollen allergies, orange - cough but no fever, red - covid

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Am I the only guy that immediately dismisses any source that is actively using China for any comparisons with this shit? It’s actively lending credence to communist lies and has no bearing on anything being factually reviewed. 

I agree. I've been saying this since the first few pages of this thread. I hope business leaders, politicians, and the general public change their business and buying habits after all this is done.

6 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Lol, the debate over chloroquine is gonna pick up now that France is approving it. Why Type A? What you got against Types B, O, and AB? Don't get me started on Rh groups.

The virus hits Type A types much harder, allegedly. So if they were all type A it would really be a sign this is legit. At least that was my interpretation. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

GTFO with those weirdo other types.  Type A is in desperate need.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we need color coded masks.  green no covid, yellow might have covid or could be oak pollen allergies, orange - cough but no fever, red - covid

Oh you mean something like this?

800px-Hsas-chart_with_header.svg.png

Yeah, that worked out so well that it got replaced.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

The virus hits Type A types much harder, allegedly. 

I would like to see more data or research or what have you regarding this. I’ve read it a few times. Is it still anecdotal or have they put science to this possibility? 

Also, am I the only person on here with no clue what their blood type is?

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I would like to see more data or research or what have you regarding this. I’ve read it a few times. Is it still anecdotal or have they put science to this possibility? 

You should know your blood type if you donate blood.

53 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

That was inevitable....

45 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This lines up well with a lot of us saying that May 1 or May 4 will be when we start seeing things starting to open up again.  I do not think it will go back to normal until later on, but I could see certain things starting to happen IF we do this right.  

Also, the news out of France is amazing.  Hopefully we take that and run with it.

and yep, I think most folks with any sense are thinking that the current measures (and they surely need to be more strict, and imposed nationwide) will go on for another month.  Four more weeks as-is.  Then, CERTAIN relaxations -- not back to normal, not even close.  But some measured phasing back in of things begins then.  And yes, I think widespread wearing of masks in public is our future for a significant period of time.

29 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

This.  April is the month.  Bear down.  It's going to be fucking hard, and it's going to be fucking hard on a lot of people.  We can't go over or around this.  We have to go THROUGH it.  

So let's fucking go through it.

28 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

For reference, the highest flu deaths in the US in the past 40 years was 80k in 2018.  So, we're looking at something up to 2.5 times our worst flu total in modern history, and that's WITH the mitigation measures in place.  Without them.....who knows, but it's surely a shit-ton worse.

I think the goal remains to keep the healthcare system from being broken by the strain all at once.  People are going to die -- many more than we've seen in something like this in the past century.  But by doing the right thing, we can keep that number relatively under control.  Getting past the initial outbreak will require one set of sacrifices.  Getting through the next phase of restrictions (even if they're lighter) will require another set of sacrifices.  Helping our friends and neighbors begin to rebuild their businesses and jobs will require another.  Coming up with and implementing a long-term strategy for dealing with this illness will require another set of efforts and sacrifices.  That's reality.  This is our WWII.

So let's do the right thing.  And let's help each other do it, and let's help those of us who are hurt the most by the great social sacrifices that are being made.  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yes. I guess you've never had surgery or went for prenatal counseling.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Am I the only guy that immediately dismisses any source that is actively using China for any comparisons with this shit? It’s actively lending credence to communist lies and has no bearing on anything being factually reviewed. 

Add a zero. Or maybe two zeroes.

Think holistically though - China is starting to lock shit back down.   They just released tens of thousands of urns to families.   And Russia is blowing up.  It’s still really bad, and they’ve had almost three months of a lockdown in China.  

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm pretty sure I'm A+ but not....wait for it...positive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Add a zero. Or maybe two zeroes.

Think holistically though - China is starting to lock shit back down.   They just released tens of thousands of urns to families.   And Russia is blowing up.  It’s still really bad, and they’ve had almost three months of a lockdown in China.  

42-46K was the approximate number of urns from that DenaGraysonMD tweet. Not sure what her sources are, but no one is shocked. Is Russia actually putting out numbers or continuing to function in their clandestine Soviet ways?

NYC docs on 60 Minutes on being asked if there are any commonalities of the young who get extremely sick with coronavirus, and they mentioned obesity.  Their disclaimer is that more information is needed.

The CDC mentions obesity as a high risk group but that seems to get little attention unlike the other risk groups. Perhaps it needs to be explicitly spelled out on the precautions.

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

42-46K was the approximate number of urns from that DenaGraysonMD tweet. Not sure what her sources are, but no one is shocked. Is Russia actually putting out numbers or continuing to function in their clandestine Soviet ways?

Yeah, the thing is, the photos I saw, no way that was simply a few thousand urns.   That was clearing out a warehouse, because they are expecting more shortly (or in the fall), or are trying to appease the peasants.

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Italy and France have not been counting nursing home deaths.  I know they have less of em but JFC people.  

That's a huge omission. Doesn't Italy have the second oldest population in the (EU vs Europe)? Maybe not many olds in Italy reside in nursing homes?

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The virus hits Type A types much harder, allegedly. So if they were all type A it would really be a sign this is legit. At least that was my interpretation. 

I was kind of joking because A) no one really knows and B) I'm type A, I think.  but it would still be a good data point and any other data about the 80 in the trial would be very interesting.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away