Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

NYC docs on 60 Minutes on being asked if there are any commonalities of the young who get extremely sick with coronavirus, and they mentioned obesity.  Their disclaimer is that more information is needed.

The CDC mentions obesity as a high risk group but that seems to get little attention unlike the other risk groups. Perhaps it needs to be explicitly spelled out on the precautions.

So that couple in Kentucky trying to buy 500 cans of Mountain Dew from Kroger’s, we can assume they will be on ventilators soon?

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The CDC mentions obesity as a high risk group but that seems to get little attention unlike the other risk groups.

Obesity places the body in a pro inflammatory state so this actually would not be surprising. Then you also have to consider the fat mass effect as obese people carry quite a bit of pericardial fat along with their intra-abdominal fat which literally inhibits good heart function and pulmonary function. There also tends to be a lot of undiagnosed hypertension, coronary artery disease and diabetes in this group.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Found this from 3/18:

Uncounted among coronavirus victims, deaths sweep through Italy's nursing homes

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-homes-insigh-idUSKBN2152V0

It’s bad.  Talking to friends with lots of family there.  They’re saying tons of dead just tossed in bags in nursing homes with almost zero work up done as they’re dying and definitely not after they died.    

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

NYC docs on 60 Minutes on being asked if there are any commonalities of the young who get extremely sick with coronavirus, and they mentioned obesity.  Their disclaimer is that more information is needed.

The CDC mentions obesity as a high risk group but that seems to get little attention unlike the other risk groups. Perhaps it needs to be explicitly spelled out on the precautions.

Well, it would be wrong to fat shame.

34 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I was wearing a mask for awhile but it freaked out A LOT of people. I'm talking about people coming up to me at grocery stores telling me to get the fuck out.

Maybe if the mask wouldn't have been all you were wearing...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Add a zero. Or maybe two zeroes.

Think holistically though - China is starting to lock shit back down.   They just released tens of thousands of urns to families.   And Russia is blowing up.  It’s still really bad, and they’ve had almost three months of a lockdown in China.  

Been kind of funny being on this bandwagon for a while when 7-10 days ago the naysayers were arguing the point.

China has screwed this up about as much as we have.  They had to shut down their movie theaters again on Friday.  Guess they haven't cleaned out the virus yet.

We'll never know anywhere close to the truth about what happened in China.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I have to tell you, Dbeasy, I’ve never thought about what you looked like. Creepy. If it helps, usually Vince Vaughn is what I hear. Sometimes Brad Pitt or a young Kevin Costner. Yep.  Mostly Vince Vaughn though. SydneyCarton’s celebrity doppelgänger is a guy from Whataburger commercials. HenryJames is Henry Rollins, circa Heat. 

Bullshit. You look like Vincent d’nofrio in full metal jacket and Sydney looks like the dumber of the two guys in the sonic commercials

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Our satellites might pick a slight decrease in pollution, traffic, etc.  but that’s as close as we will get.  

If the crematoriums have been running full tilt for 90+ days how would we know pollution is down?

37 minutes ago, Pasken said:

You should know your blood type if you donate blood.

I can’t be the only guy on Surly that has more vices than a tool shed and has therefore always been mortified of what feedback I’d get from donating blood (that they’d inevitably have to throw out I assume). 

36 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Yes. I guess you've never had surgery or went for prenatal counseling.

I have 5 kids, so I must have been told at some point but fuck if I know how to look that up. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I would like to see more data or research or what have you regarding this. I’ve read it a few times. Is it still anecdotal or have they put science to this possibility? 

Also, am I the only person on here with no clue what their blood type is?

It’s still Anecdotal/Theoretical.  I haven’t seen a formal study or paper roll through here yet on it. 

I had to ask my wife her blood type. 

So upthread, there was the annoucement of the French officially sanctioning hydroxychloroquine.

Here is the link to the study and the language of the abstract.

We need an effective treatment to cure COVID-19 patients and to decrease the virus carriage duration. In 80 in-patients receiving a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin we noted a clinical improvement in all but one 86 year-old patient who died, and one 74 yearold patient still in intensive care unit. A rapid fall of nasopharyngeal viral load tested by qPCR was noted, with 83% negative at Day7, and 93% at Day8. Virus cultures from patient respiratory samples were negative in 97.5% patients at Day5. This allowed patients to rapidly de discharge from highly contagious wards with a mean length of stay of five days. We believe other teams should urgently evaluate this cost-effective therapeutic strategy, to both avoid the spread of the disease and treat patients as soon as possible before severe respiratory irreversible complications take hold.

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID-IHU-2-1.pdf

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

and yep, I think most folks with any sense are thinking that the current measures (and they surely need to be more strict, and imposed nationwide) will go on for another month.  Four more weeks as-is.  Then, CERTAIN relaxations -- not back to normal, not even close.  But some measured phasing back in of things begins then.  And yes, I think widespread wearing of masks in public is our future for a significant period of time.

On masks, then they are going to have to manufacture a SHITLOAD of them, and do them here.  At this point, NONE of our medical supplies should be coming from China.  We cannot trust that they will either get here or be of any quality.  You should not take a mask from a health professional.  

And if the US hospitals start testing the sanctioned French treatment, the antibody studies bear fruit, AND we get a damned rapid home test/antibody test, I actually think that things can go back to normal much sooner.  But those are all big ifs.

• Like 1

I know no one wants to hear it, but I've been thinking and there's little doubt in my mind at this point if it weren't for these unprecedented measures the world has taken Covid-19 would have been Spanish Flu version 2.0.

I easily could imagine this having infected 1/3 of the planet if we would've all just rolled our eyes and let it spread like wildfire.

Can you call imagine 2.5 BILLION cases of this shit?!?  The death toll is going to still be terrible, but I am thankful we have taken action to slow the spread because if not the total number of deaths could have been absolutely nightmarish.

Sorry to be all dramatic and cheesy, but God bless you all.

• Like 3

From Abbott’s presser

Abbott announced that President Donald Trump contacted the nation’s Governors to inform them that updated information would be forthcoming sometime this week about expanding federal standards on social distancing guidance and other important details. Abbott said he would wait until that new guidance was released before making a decision on the timeline to reopen schools and businesses

Also, Attorney General’s office got more than 2,500 complaints about price gouging covering toilet paper, bottled water, and hand sanitizer.

7 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

On masks, then they are going to have to manufacture a SHITLOAD of them, and do them here.  At this point, NONE of our medical supplies should be coming from China.  We cannot trust that they will either get here or be of any quality.  You should not take a mask from a health professional.  

And if the US hospitals start testing the sanctioned French treatment, the antibody studies bear fruit, AND we get a damned rapid home test/antibody test, I actually think that things can go back to normal much sooner.  But those are all big ifs.

Chinese quality at its finest: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/netherlands-recalls-defective-masks-imported-china-200329141715106.html

• Like 1

King of Thailand manages to live well during Coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.opindia.com/2020/03/thailand-king-isolation-20-concubine-harem-luxury-hotel/

King Maha Vajiralongkorn of Thailand, whose official title is Rama X, has gone into self-isolation in Germany with his harem of 20 concubines, technically making it a not so self-isolation. The 67-year-old King has booked out the entire Grand Hotel Sonnenbichl in Bavaria, with permission from the local council, in order to isolate himself. It’s not clear if King Vajiralongkorn’s wife is with him. Earlier, a royal entourage of 119 members had been sent back to Thailand amid fears that they had contracted the Wuhan Coronavirus.

19 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So upthread, there was the annoucement of the French officially sanctioning hydroxychloroquine.

Here is the link to the study and the language of the abstract.

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID-IHU-2-1.pdf

They did not use a control sample for obvious ethical reasons, but they did benchmark their patient outcomes against a study from China:

In a cohort of 191 Chinese inpatients, of whom 95% received antibiotics and 21% received an association of lopinavir and ritonavir, the median duration of fever was 12 days and that of cough 19 days in survivors, with a 28% case-fatality rate

CFR of 2% with the treatment here vs 28% in the China study without the treatment.  Sounds promising.  

Edited by bschoolprof

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

They did not use a control sample for obvious ethical reasons, but they did benchmark their patient outcomes against a study from China:

CFR of 2% with the treatment here vs 28% in the China study without the treatment.  Sounds promising.  

Two things:

1.) Could have still used a control group - patients in that group received standard of practice care (e.g. supportive symptomatic treatment). 

2.) Don't believe a damn thing coming out of China research wise especially as it related to Coronavirus.

Just now, UDontKnow said:

Two things:

1.) Could have still used a control group - patients in that group received standard of practice care (e.g. supportive symptomatic treatment). 

In a standard study where we have plenty of time and life and death aren't on the line, sure.  But here, no.  

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Yes, the French study DID include a voluntary consenting non-medicated control group.  The 3 groups just weren't blinded or randomized.  The medicated groups went viral PCR negative significantly faster even at day 3 of 6.   At day 6 the effect was more pronounced.  Addition of azithromycin to CHQ in a third group had even better response.  Limited sample size and study design but statistically valid.

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

From Abbott’s presser

Also, Attorney General’s office got more than 2,500 complaints about price gouging covering toilet paper, bottled water, and hand sanitizer.

Any store doing that needs to be blasted on every social media site out there. Put the fuckers out of bidnez' !!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

Yes, the French study DID include a voluntary consenting non-medicated control group.  The 3 groups just weren't blinded or randomized.  The medicated groups went viral PCR negative significantly faster even at day 3 of 6.   At day 6 the effect was more pronounced.  Addition of azithromycin to CHQ in a third group had even better response.  Limited sample size and study design but statistically valid.

He's referring to the new study out of the same group, not the original one.  This new one was uncontrolled.

The open label data appear compelling with a larger sample size.

Apparently study out of NY should report on Monday or soon thereafter. Not sure of their study design but I hope that it involved randomization. 

11 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Two things:

2.) Don't believe a damn thing coming out of China research wise especially as it related to Coronavirus.

9 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

In a standard study where we have plenty of time and life and death aren't on the line, sure.  But here, no.  

I disagree.  I don't think that a control group is unethical in this situation.  No treatment has been definitively established as effective. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

He's referring to the new study out of the same group, not the original one.  This new one was uncontrolled.

Yes - this.  Thanks.

If these results are robust, this could be a real game changer if we could get more rapid and widespread testing. Test positive for COVID? Take these drugs and drastically reduce transmission, hospitalizations, etc.   

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Apparently study out of NY should report on Monday or soon thereafter. Not sure of their study design but I hope that it involved randomization. 

Thanks - getting back online and up to speed now 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away