Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, well, well. I don’t know what in the fuck you two think you’re doing, but it is obvious you’re trying to slip a few fastballs by us here in the later hours, so let me help you out with a few key pointers to counteract the positivity here. 

1) It’s a Sunday. The past 3 have had weird lulls. Same for this one.

2) We’re all going to die, and soon. 

3) We’re all Italy, only 7 weeks behind. 

4) Some people here saw a few things today that invalidate all other positive thoughts. One guy saw multiple people in the same vehicle on a few occasions. Another guy saw people within shouting distance of one another at a grocery store and only a couple of psychopaths weren’t wearing masks.

According to my calculations, that means 750,000 are going to die by Mother’s Day and you are a traitorous piece of shit for thinking otherwise. 

So yeah, pull yourselves together and get that cyanide pill back within arm’s reach of being ingested, because nothing else matters. 

Does this mean Ann Margaret is not coming?

Edited by Upgrayedd
  • Like 3

Generic white stay at home suburban mom that's always in everyone's business. 

At least this crisis gives them something to do besides harassing black men in their own apartment buildings or Latinos having a cookout at a local park or accusing mothers with a child of a different ethnicity of trafficking.

Silver linings and all that.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
56 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:
Just so we are clear, you are taking in-person classes, right?   School my wife is working with is designing lessons, etc, with the idea  of them switching to online classes, using Zoom, etc.     I know they’ve been busy prepping a lot of online stuff.
It would be odd for AISD to shut down everything completely, when area school districts are going fully online, and when it’s screw over seniors, etc. and would put even more kids behind come August.  

Read more  

Lolz at online public school. Most people are poor (nobody here). Both parents work (yes they're still leaving the house every day). They may or may not have wifi or a computer. Public school IQs range from 20 to 150. This works for college online instruction, but for the non pre AP type of dipshit this will be a disaster. See you in September kids.

At least several of the school districts in the RGV (poorest region of the state) have been giving every student a laptop or tablet to do homework/projects and what not on for years. Hasn’t noticeably improved student performance  much but it definitely hasn’t made it worse. I‘ve heard of other poor school districts around the country doing the same. This is a generation of kids that grew up online, poor or not. Won’t be a huge adjustment for them.

1 hour ago, RayDog said:

I asked about the pussy-oral route many pages back and have not seen an answer.

My girlfriend wants to know if there is virus in "diquid."

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/09/people-shed-high-levels-of-coronavirus-study-finds-but-most-are-likely-not-infectious-after-recovery-begins/

Virus could not be grown from blood or urine samples taken from the patients, the authors reported.

21 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

There are ACE2 receptors in the testes, so I think my girlfriend's question is valid. The Peak Prosperity guy even wondered if a bad Wuhan virus case could cause sterility.

I don’t disagree but the other option is education employees start missing paychecks. Gotta give it a good faith effort. It will also be a great test of what works and what doesn’t. God forbid we ever have to do something like this again.
I have no problem with going online or canceling altogether as long as my wife still gets paid. There are only a couple checks left this school year for those on the 9-month cycle. We're on the 12-month cycle and I'd think pay over the summer wouldn't be affected either way, right?

I still don't see how y'all are going to handle special education online. Even if the parents can setup a Zoom and get their kid to sit long enough to use it, there are plenty that can't really be helped the way they need without direct interaction.
  • Like 1

At least several of the school districts in the RGV (poorest region of the state) have been giving every student a laptop or tablet to do homework/projects and what not on for years. Hasn’t noticeably improved student performance  much but it definitely hasn’t made it worse. I‘ve heard of other poor school districts around the country doing the same. This is a generation of kids that grew up online, poor or not. Won’t be a huge adjustment for them.

My fiancé, Northside ISD/no pics, has only had contact with 8/20 of her students parents/students so far 1 week in. They’re supposed to try and get ahold of the ones who they have not had contact with this week and tell them a packet option for work is available as well if they can’t figure out the online. That packet can be picked up at the school. Also they’re going to inform them that if they don’t do any work or any communication it will effect their end of year grade and could be held back.

But honestly o see them canceling the school year.

6 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Being completely honest here, why don’t we just shut the entire country down for 2 weeks and take the short term hit on the economy vs playing this waiting game that will last longer?

I am sorry, but NYC is shut down.  Even essential businesses have closed.  For instance, laundries and dry cleaners are mostly closed, which is a pain in the ass.  

It cannot get much more shut down than this, or people will starve and suffer unduly.

NO American city has the manpower to deliver everything needed to every single person.  See the delays on Instacart and Amazon Prime now as evidence.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

7 hours ago, DaysOff said:
8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:
Just so we are clear, you are taking in-person classes, right?   School my wife is working with is designing lessons, etc, with the idea  of them switching to online classes, using Zoom, etc.     I know they’ve been busy prepping a lot of online stuff.
It would be odd for AISD to shut down everything completely, when area school districts are going fully online, and when it’s screw over seniors, etc. and would put even more kids behind come August.  

Lolz at online public school. Most people are poor (nobody here). Both parents work (yes they're still leaving the house every day). They may or may not have wifi or a computer. Public school IQs range from 20 to 150. This works for college online instruction, but for the non pre AP type of dipshit this will be a disaster. See you in September kids.

Leander ISD went online last week.  My 4th and 6th grader already doing work online, having class meetings online through Zoom.  All kids present and accounted for, in their classes.  I won't speak for all classes of course.  But so far it's working alright.  It's certainly less efficient, I have no illusions the instruction will be as good, and more burden than usual will fall on me as a parent.  But it's manageable.  I imagine a lot of districts will choose this route.  

19 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Leander ISD went online last week.  My 4th and 6th grader already doing work online, having class meetings online through Zoom.  All kids present and accounted for, in their classes.  I won't speak for all classes of course.  But so far it's working alright.  It's certainly less efficient, I have no illusions the instruction will be as good, and more burden than usual will fall on me as a parent.  But it's manageable.  I imagine a lot of districts will choose this route.  

Virtually everyone is doing it.  Kids without internet access are picking up paper packets for their work.

Question is, "How do we handle the returned packets?  Let the sit in a box for 2 days?"

40 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am sorry, but NYC is shut down.  Even essential businesses have closed.  For instance, laundries and dry cleaners are mostly closed, which is a pain in the ass.  

It cannot get much more shut down than this, or people will starve and suffer unduly.

NO American city has the manpower to deliver everything needed to every single person.  See the delays on Instacart and Amazon Prime now as evidence.

Wait... You live in NYC? 

Damn I didn't realize that. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Oh no ! not the dry cleaners ??!!  If you're self quarantining, what do you need with dry cleaned clothes ?

SERIOUS NOTE:  You be careful Miss Penelope.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh no ! not the dry cleaners ??!!  If you're self quarantining, what do you need with dry cleaned clothes ?

SERIOUS NOTE:  You be care Miss Penelope.

Dry cleaning aside I think the issue in places like NYC is a lot of people don’t have washers and dryers in apartments.  Those panties aren’t going to wash themselves.

• Like 1

Eh, I Don’t know about manhattan but still a lot of stuff open in queens. Or at least a lot of people out in the streets. For Queens or at least ASTORIA/LIC it is

restaurants/diners: opened every regular day with reduced hours but generally open for takeout/delivery till 8ish.
Grocery stores: opened every day but earlier with reduced hours but generally till 8ish.
laundry: opened every day with reduced hours but again generally till 8ish.
bodegas: either opened every day like normal Or reduced hours. Couple still 24/7 like nothing has changed but they are practically restaurants anyway.
Bars: closed unless restaurants. 
parks: every day wide fucking open. 
clothing: closed.
Beauty stores/salons: closed.
Food trucks: lots are gone since the bars shut down late night

maybe bc there are so many eateries here but there is still a shit ton of movement going in queens. I get it though, people need to get fresh air, I’m fine with that. But when fucking Cold Stone Creamery is open until 8pm everyday, still feels like restrictions could be a little tighter. Not that I support that but just saying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah if they tried shutting down grocery stores people would riot.  Only potential measures they could take are closing all businesses except grocery stores and medical facilities and assigning times when folks can go to the store (e.g. people whose last name starts with A-D can go on Sunday, E-H Monday, etc.).  But there’s simply not the manpower to deliver food or truly enforce a quarantine.  If the shelter in place that most major cities already have in place doesn’t work, it’s over, and herd immunity or a miracle cure/vaccine are the only things that can fix it (or the end of civilization).

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Eh, I Don’t know about manhattan but still a lot of stuff open in queens. Or at least a lot of people out in the streets. For Queens or at least ASTORIA/LIC it is

restaurants/diners: opened every regular day with reduced hours but generally open for takeout/delivery till 8ish.
Grocery stores: opened every day but earlier with reduced hours but generally till 8ish.
laundry: opened every day with reduced hours but again generally till 8ish.
bodegas: either opened every day like normal Or reduced hours. Couple still 24/7 like nothing has changed but they are practically restaurants anyway.
Bars: closed unless restaurants. 
parks: every day wide fucking open. 
clothing: closed.
Beauty stores/salons: closed.
Food trucks: lots are gone since the bars shut down late night

maybe bc there are so many eateries here but there is still a shit ton of movement going in queens. I get it though, people need to get fresh air, I’m fine with that. But when fucking Cold Stone Creamery is open until 8pm everyday, still feels like restrictions could be a little tighter. Not that I support that but just saying. 

We have diners and restaurants open, but there are a lot of them that have also said no to the takeout/delivery stuff.  

People are out walking dogs and getting exercise, but there are times I am out walking the dogs, and I do not see another person.

IMO, that is telling as Manhattan, while being the most dense of the boroughs, has the least cases other than Staten Island.

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Dry cleaning aside I think the issue in places like NYC is a lot of people don’t have washers and dryers in apartments.  Those panties aren’t going to wash themselves.

My building has machines in the basement, but that is true.  I think in a number of buildings in NYC (and it might be the Pre-War buildings), can only have either a dishwasher or a washer.  I have a dishwasher, and that is much more important than a washing machine.

Silver Lining Committee, 30 March 2020 Status Update.

Were seven days off the case doubling rate inflection point holding steady.  If you put on your optimist glasses squint hard enough, yesterday's data may suggest start of another inflection to flatten doubling. Stay the course with social distancing, shame and ridicule people who break contain. This week's numbers will be a turning point one way or the other.

Death rates slightly wobble. Need to see a turn there ASAP. 

Side note, based on post upthread about Japan suppressing their numbers, will be interested to see where they go. 

Annotation-2020-03-30b.png

Annotation-2020-03-30.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Who uses a down comforter in late March?  Oh, that's right..... Yankees.

It was cold and wet yesterday, so damned straight.

Also, who posted the chart that showed the temp/humidity and the Coronavirus cases?

Anecdotally, NYC has been between 85% and 100% humidity the last week.  Not warm, but humid as fuck.  Will be interested to see if that helps.

8 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Yeah, next year is going to be the real bitch of this, especially in math. The kids have to have the concepts from the previous year or they will be completely lost. However, there arent enough days in the year to make up 1/3 of last years curriculum plus the current year. Prediction time: math staar scores are going to suck next year.

If we are concurrently concerned about academics, shouldn’t the kids all have to repeat their current grade if they are unable to master crucial concepts in math, science, foreign language, and other subjects that will be utilized in future years of high school and college?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away