Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If we are concurrently concerned about academics, shouldn’t the kids all have to repeat their current grade if they are unable to master crucial concepts in math, science, foreign language, and other subjects that will be utilized in future years of high school and college?

nah, they have smart phones to get them through the future. 

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If we are concurrently concerned about academics, shouldn’t the kids all have to repeat their current grade if they are unable to master crucial concepts in math, science, foreign language, and other subjects that will be utilized in future years of high school and college?

Sounds good on paper.  How do you handle the incoming kindergarten class and the parents who planned on dropping the childcare expense or having the stay at home moms and dads go back to work?  Never mind the animosity every kid over about 5th grade is going to feel.  Do colleges hold back too or is there just no freshman class next year?

Just now, Macanudo said:

Sounds good on paper.  How do you handle the incoming kindergarten class and the parents who planned on dropping the childcare expense or having the stay at home moms and dads go back to work?  Never mind the animosity every kid over about 5th grade is going to feel.  Do colleges hold back too or is there just no freshman class next year?

We'll just put an * next to everyones name on their resumes' denoting this was not the typical year for success. That should do it.  Works in Basebell.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

My high school Senior want to know where you live...

• Like 3

My nephew’s wife is an assistant principal & teacher at a private high school in the HillCountry. She’s also the IT person for the school, so working 18 hour days, she single-handedly set up their online instruction program and got it running last week. She and some of the teachers are actually working from the school building to begin with, then will start from home this week.

anyway, when she was online with one of her own classes last week, she was called out of her classroom briefly to help another teacher with a technical problem. While she was out, one of her students in the “Zoom” class mooned the rest of the kids. Hilarity ensued, but of course one kid ratted him out to Teach. Lol

Dunno how she’s going to deal with that bit of discipline..... send a drone to whack the kid... a robot?

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I see a lot of yall are taking this quarantine/social distancing seriously

jesus fuck this thing is gonna last 5 months at this rate, guys

Yes. The people on this thread are really the largest culprits of bad behavior. Why don’t you make a sign and go picket outside Kroger about social distancing and practice the courage of your convictions. But thanks for the Monday morning shrill bellyache, I can now set my watch. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 8

ok - whatever.  Put me in the treatment group doc.  Anastasis has volunteered to take sugar pills ad watch tiger king.  For science.  

I was offered a clinical trial for cancer treatment. After my onc went through the particulars I joined and told him if I get randomized to the control group I’m quitting the trial and demanding the experimental protocol. (I landed on the experimental side and it worked out great.)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hanrahan said:

I was offered a clinical trial for cancer treatment. After my onc went through the particulars I joined and told him if I get randomized to the control group I’m quitting the trial and demanding the experimental protocol. (I landed on the experimental side and it worked out great.)

Selfish bastard !!!  : )

8 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My nephew’s wife is an assistant principal & teacher at a private high school in the HillCountry. She’s also the IT person for the school, so working 18 hour days, she single-handedly set up their online instruction program and got it running last week. She and some of the teachers are actually working from the school building to begin with, then will start from home this week.

anyway, when she was online with one of her own classes last week, she was called out of her classroom briefly to help another teacher with a technical problem. While she was out, one of her students in the “Zoom” class mooned the rest of the kids. Hilarity ensued, but of course one kid ratted him out to Teach. Lol

Dunno how she’s going to deal with that bit of discipline..... send a drone to whack the kid... a robot?

Threaten to send someone to their house, and cough on the whole family ??

4 hours ago, Modessit said:

I have no problem with going online or canceling altogether as long as my wife still gets paid. There are only a couple checks left this school year for those on the 9-month cycle. We're on the 12-month cycle and I'd think pay over the summer wouldn't be affected either way, right?

I still don't see how y'all are going to handle special education online. Even if the parents can setup a Zoom and get their kid to sit long enough to use it, there are plenty that can't really be helped the way they need without direct interaction.

TEA is really expecting districts to move forward with online learning and they have the dollars. I haven’t seen any specific threats that the money will stop flowing if you don’t do this but that seems to be the message that districts are getting. So, this is probably necessary for your wife to continue getting paid. TEA expectations:

https://tea.texas.gov/texas-schools/health-safety-discipline/instructional-continuity-planning-framework

9 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Yeah, next year is going to be the real bitch of this, especially in math. The kids have to have the concepts from the previous year or they will be completely lost. However, there arent enough days in the year to make up 1/3 of last years curriculum plus the current year. Prediction time: math staar scores are going to suck next year.

A co-worker of mine who has kids in elementary was telling me there's talk that parents in her district will be able to request their child stay in the same grade next school year.  That might solve the math issue maybe.  It seems like just advancing kids in the elementary level after this is going to have a major influence on student success for the next few years. 

57 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It was cold and wet yesterday, so damned straight.

Also, who posted the chart that showed the temp/humidity and the Coronavirus cases?

Anecdotally, NYC has been between 85% and 100% humidity the last week.  Not warm, but humid as fuck.  Will be interested to see if that helps.

Viruses like humidity

Just now, Player said:

Well, uh I guess I, deep down, am feeling a little confused. I mean, suddenly, you’re in a pandemic, and you're supposed to be this entirely different guy. I don't feel different. I mean, take yesterday for example. We were eating takeout from the Olive Garden for dinner, which was lovely. And, uh, I happen to look over at a certain point during the meal and see a post from Penelope talking about the lack of laundries in Manhattan, and I found myself wondering what color her underpants might be. Her panties. Uh, odds are they are probably basic white, cotton, underpants. But I sort of think, well, maybe they're silk panties, maybe it's a thong. Maybe it's something really cool that I don't even know about. You know, and uh, and I started feeling... what? What, I thought we were in the trust tree in the nest, were we not?

We live in strange times.

And I'm guessing silk.

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

A co-worker of mine who has kids in elementary was telling me there's talk that parents in her district will be able to request their child stay in the same grade next school year.  That might solve the math issue maybe.  It seems like just advancing kids in the elementary level after this is going to have a major influence on student success for the next few years. 

My school is completely full and we have a full kindergarten crew coming in next year. We can talk about the educational side of things but the logistical side would be a wreck if more than 10-15 kids per grade were retained. It would bump me to hiring a new teacher per grade and I don’t have anywhere to put them. It would mean rows of portables with teachers that wouldn’t be at the school long term because they wouldn’t be needed once the retained kids get worked through the system. Now imagine that same issue state wide. We don’t have enough teachers in many schools as it is.

I think there are two groups of kids that shouldn’t be lumped together. 

The group that gets by or might be a little behind. They can’t afford to miss instruction for two months but retention would be too drastic. They need some type of summer school if we can swing it.

The group that’s legitimately behind already. Many of these kids are in special education due to having a learning disability. In most cases retention isn’t the answer. They are already getting individualized instruction for their needs. Obviously this online mess is going to hurt them.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

That's a huge omission. Doesn't Italy have the second oldest population in the (EU vs Europe)? Maybe not many olds in Italy reside in nursing homes?

I think thats typical of most of Europe.  My German grandmother turns 90 on Easter, still lives in a 2 story house, and her bedroom is upstairs. Her 89 YO sister is the same way, both widowers, live in their own houses.  They get apoplectic if someone tries to get them to move in with other family.  Trying to move them into a home would cause a riot.  

5 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

My school is completely full and we have a full kindergarten crew coming in next year. We can talk about the educational side of things but the logistical side would be a wreck if more than 10-15 kids per grade were retained. It would bump me to hiring a new teacher per grade and I don’t have anywhere to put them. It would mean rows of portables with teachers that wouldn’t be at the school long term because they wouldn’t be needed once the retained kids get worked through the system. Now imagine that same issue state wide. We don’t have enough teachers in many schools as it is.

I think there are two groups of kids that shouldn’t be lumped together. 

The group that gets by or might be a little behind. They can’t afford to miss instruction for two months but retention would be too drastic. They need some type of summer school if we can swing it.

The group that’s legitimately behind already. Many of these kids are in special education due to having a learning disability. In most cases retention isn’t the answer. They are already getting individualized instruction for their needs. Obviously this online mess is going to hurt them.

Oh trust me, when she told me that my first thought was how it was logistically possible.  She's in fucking Klein ISD.  They don't have room to do that. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Viruses like humidity

The rule of thumb is that: Enveloped viruses do best at low humidity.  Unenveloped do best at high humidity.

That's not absolutely true, though.

The rule of thumb is that: Enveloped viruses do best at low humidity.  Unenveloped do best at high humidity.
That's not absolutely true, though.

What’s the difference between enveloped and unenveloped, other than the obvious?

EUGVNonWkAAO5WZ.jpg

EUGVNnfXQAASmBa.jpgEUGVNoZWAAAFEa9.jpg

I've been a proponent of this approach all along (obviously).  Note that due to lack of testing and poor turn around time when a test is available, this doc is using clinical presentation divided into 3 categories for presumptive positive treatment of covid.  Even if blinded randomized controlled studies show that not only does HCQ/Azith tx help, but that it helps a lot more with early intervention compared to when advanced complications occur, we're still fucked because of our totally inadequate testing capacity and infrastructure.  So this doc isn't letting that prevent him from what appears to be a life saving approach in war zone conditions.  Good on him.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

“Envelope“ refers to the fat layer we hear so much about?

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

What’s the difference between enveloped and unenveloped, other than the obvious?

Enveloped usually die off when their shell is damaged and most seasonal crap is enveloped (flu, colds).  They evolve easier because the viral code isn't directly exposed.

Most of the unenveloped viruses don't evolve as easily and many of the worst have been cured a long time ago (polio).

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Being completely honest here, why don’t we just shut the entire country down for 2 weeks and take the short term hit on the economy vs playing this waiting game that will last longer?

We are all connected, but we ultimately don’t act like it.  

You might as well ask why we refuse to enable stricter rules for the rural areas, while big city folks are enacting stricter rules in an effort to try and shut down as much as possible to keep our hospitals going.   Our hospitals that those rural folks are going to end up relying on when their 4-bed ICU units are overwhelmed   

Earlier I bitched about the Cletuses trying to carry on as if things are normal, while ultimately fucking the rest of us over when they needlessly fill up their hospitals.   That was harsh - I don’t mean that the rural folks themselves are all Cletuses, it’s the people running those towns and counties who are being Cletuses, whether that’s the leaders or the businesses who have a lot of sway   

I had a conversation with a cousin last night, who works for one of those counties,  I get what he said, that those officials risk their jobs if they piss off the local businesses.  

The problem is that we are all connected.  We can shut down the border with Louisiana, and ban folks from NY, but if rural folks still have loose restrictions and are spreading it around, it doesn’t matter who we try to keep out.   Blaming Louisiana or New York is just a “look over there, it’s a squirrel!” distraction.   

Because we are refusing to enact a stricter uniform policy at the state or local level, we are going to drag this thing out and make it far more painful and far more expensive than it needs to be.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I see a lot of yall are taking this quarantine/social distancing seriously

jesus fuck this thing is gonna last 5 months at this rate, guys

before it was 10K will be dying a day in 2 months

now its how long this is going to last

excellent pivot footwork.

• Like 2

Lots of people talking about math instruction. I'm a math teacher at the middle school level, and there is a lot of variation in what is being missed and how critical it is depending on grade level.

For instance I teach 7th grade, and the most critical topics to learn in 7th grade for future classes were all finished before the shutdowns. The material I have left to teach online is stuff that is building on last year and gets reinforced next year anyway, so it isn't super critical that every little detail gets right at this moment.

We've already started putting plans in place to identify the most critical stuff to try and teach for the rest of the year and it will get worked into next year's curriculum for each grade level up.

I really don't think it will be too big of a deal in the long run. Yes we are missed 9 weeks of instruction, but at least for middle school nearly 3 of those weeks were going to be State testing and district semester exams, and review for all of that testing. We are really transitioning about 6 weeks of new material into online instruction.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We are all connected, but we ultimately don’t act like it.  

You might as well ask why we refuse to enable stricter rules for the rural areas, while big city folks are enacting stricter rules in an effort to try and shut down as much as possible to keep our hospitals going.   Our hospitals that those rural folks are going to end up relying on when their 4-bed ICU units are overwhelmed   

Earlier I bitched about the Cletuses trying to carry on as if things are normal, while ultimately fucking the rest of us over when they needlessly fill up their hospitals.   That was harsh - I don’t mean that the rural folks themselves are all Cletuses, it’s the people running those towns and counties who are being Cletuses, whether that’s the leaders or the businesses who have a lot of sway   

I had a conversation with a cousin last night, who works for one of those counties,  I get what he said, that those officials risk their jobs if they piss off the local businesses.  

The problem is that we are all connected.  We can shut down the border with Louisiana, and ban folks from NY, but if rural folks still have loose restrictions and are spreading it around, it doesn’t matter who we try to keep out.   Blaming Louisiana or New York is just a “look over there, it’s a squirrel!” distraction.   

Because we are refusing to enact a stricter uniform policy at the state or local level, we are going to drag this thing out and make it far more painful and far more expensive than it needs to be.  

preach it brother!

2 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Lots of people talking about math instruction. I'm a math teacher at the middle school level, and there is a lot of variation in what is being missed and how critical it is depending on grade level.

All I know is that if the kids in my house are going to be doing the maths with their new home school teachers they are going to be learning to carry the mf'ing one. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Player said:

Well, uh I guess I, deep down, am feeling a little confused. I mean, suddenly, you’re in a pandemic, and you're supposed to be this entirely different guy. I don't feel different. I mean, take yesterday for example. We were eating takeout from the Olive Garden for dinner, which was lovely. And, uh, I happen to look over at a certain point during the meal and see a post from Penelope talking about the lack of laundries in Manhattan, and I found myself wondering what color her underpants might be. Her panties. Uh, odds are they are probably basic white, cotton, underpants. But I sort of think, well, maybe they're silk panties, maybe it's a thong. Maybe it's something really cool that I don't even know about. You know, and uh, and I started feeling... what? What, I thought we were in the trust tree in the nest, were we not?

Now, see, this is why I am here.  For this kind of ethereal thought and masterful way with words.

And yes, I know it's a version of Frank the Tank's soliloquy from Old School.

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

The lawsuits.  In every district with more than a few hundred students, there seem to always be lawsuit-happy parents who sue over the stupidest of shit.  The districts are not just planning what’s best to help the kids move along, they have to take into account those assholes who are going to sue at the drop of a hat.  

For instance I teach 7th grade, and the most critical topics to learn in 7th grade for future classes were all finished before the shutdowns. The material I have left to teach online is stuff that is building on last year and gets reinforced next year anyway, so it isn't super critical that every little detail gets right at this moment.
We've already started putting plans in place to identify the most critical stuff to try and teach for the rest of the year and it will get worked into next year's curriculum for each grade level up.
I really don't think it will be too big of a deal in the long run. Yes we are missed 9 weeks of instruction, but at least for middle school nearly 3 of those weeks were going to be State testing and district semester exams, and review for all of that testing. We are really transitioning about 6 weeks of new material into online instruction.

Thank you for this post. As the parent of a 6th grader, I was genuinely concerned about him missing so much actual class instruction and how that was going FG to affect him going forward. This makes me feel much better.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away