Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

10 hours ago, blacklab said:

can you catch the virus from other people's pee?

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Only if it’s in your coke.
The virus came from China, you do the math.

I would definitely avoid drinking bat pee and FISH TANK CLEANER.  

Edited by stork642

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I see a lot of yall are taking this quarantine/social distancing seriously

jesus fuck this thing is gonna last 5 months at this rate, guys

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes. The people on this thread are really the largest culprits of bad behavior. Why don’t you make a sign and go picket outside Kroger about social distancing and practice the courage of your convictions. But thanks for the Monday morning shrill bellyache, I can now set my watch. 

GreenspointTexas and achooloco are now turning their turrets towards the tried and true “your best is not good enough!” premise in order to decry the need for a global martial law because we need the police and military to protect us from ourselves. 

Meanwhile, I drove from my house in Galveston to my house in Houston today in 50 minutes. I took the turn into the 610 loop from I-45 at 65 mph. I felt like the fucking omega man. The level of actual variables that have been removed, and tolerated, across this country over the last 3+ weeks is enormous and the best we’re actually going to allow and sustain for any extended period. 

51 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I would like to kick “Josh Marshall” in the fucking nuts and then hack a cough all of his fucking face for posting that shit. Overly dramatic and long, and fucking obvious unless basic math is hard. This is the kind of shit that makes social media hysterical poison. 

17 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

I've been a proponent of this approach all along (obviously).  Note that due to lack of testing and poor turn around time when a test is available, this doc is using clinical presentation divided into 3 categories for presumptive positive treatment of covid.  Even if blinded randomized controlled studies show that not only does HCQ/Azith tx help, but that it helps a lot more with early intervention compared to when advanced complications occur, we're still fucked because of our totally inadequate testing capacity and infrastructure.  So this doc isn't letting that prevent him from what appears to be a life saving approach in war zone conditions.  Good on him.

How have you not leveraged yourself, with your status as Treated Patient Zero, into some sort of multimedia celebrity fortune as the heir apparent to Kevin Trudeau? You and 2300 Nueces should be doing infomercials pimping books and supplements talking about the “treatments ‘they’ don’t want you to know about”. The blueprint already exists, sir. 

Seriously, I am encouraged by this one an continue to hold out hope that this could be a silver bullet for many if they start using it as a prophylactic. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bevo said:

They have already decided to cancel school. The AISD is meeting tomorrow to spread coronavirus and act like they are doing something.

Seriously though, teachers are going to get paid either way. Students don't want to go to school. And parents don't want their kids going to school. And politicians don't want the grief. There is no real decision making and there will be no real debate.

Surely they are not canceling school, but officially moving to remote learning for the rest of the year.  Canceling school (no remote learning) has implications to funding and kids graduating and being promoted.

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We are all connected, but we ultimately don’t act like it.  

You might as well ask why we refuse to enable stricter rules for the rural areas, while big city folks are enacting stricter rules in an effort to try and shut down as much as possible to keep our hospitals going.   Our hospitals that those rural folks are going to end up relying on when their 4-bed ICU units are overwhelmed   

Earlier I bitched about the Cletuses trying to carry on as if things are normal, while ultimately fucking the rest of us over when they needlessly fill up their hospitals.   That was harsh - I don’t mean that the rural folks themselves are all Cletuses, it’s the people running those towns and counties who are being Cletuses, whether that’s the leaders or the businesses who have a lot of sway   

I had a conversation with a cousin last night, who works for one of those counties,  I get what he said, that those officials risk their jobs if they piss off the local businesses.  

The problem is that we are all connected.  We can shut down the border with Louisiana, and ban folks from NY, but if rural folks still have loose restrictions and are spreading it around, it doesn’t matter who we try to keep out.   Blaming Louisiana or New York is just a “look over there, it’s a squirrel!” distraction.   

Because we are refusing to enact a stricter uniform policy at the state or local level, we are going to drag this thing out and make it far more painful and far more expensive than it needs to be.  

One good way to solve that problem would be federal mandate so it’s not the fault of the local constabulary when the lockdown happens. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Surely they are not canceling school, but officially moving to remote learning for the rest of the year.  Canceling school (no remote learning) has implications to funding and kids graduating and being promoted.

How does remote learning work for kids without the means? 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Meanwhile, I drove from my house in Galveston to my house in Houston today in 50 minutes. I took the turn into the 610 loop from I-45 at 65 mph. I felt like the fucking omega man. The level of actual variables that have been removed, and tolerated, across this country over the last 3+ weeks is enormous and the best we’re actually going to allow and sustain for any extended period. 

I live on a street that gets a fair amount pass thru traffic in my neighborhood.  Last week, I noticed a fair number of commercial traffic and presumably personal vehicles.  It definitely feels like less traffic today. Not zero or close to it but fewer cars than last week.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Meanwhile, I drove from my house in Galveston to my house in Houston today in 50 minutes. I took the turn into the 610 loop from I-45 at 65 mph. I felt like the fucking omega man. 

Well done man, well done.

Edited by Rip76
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The rule of thumb is that: Enveloped viruses do best at low humidity.  Unenveloped do best at high humidity.

That's not absolutely true, though.

We’ll stick with the story that drives the most panic...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Dry cleaning aside I think the issue in places like NYC is a lot of people don’t have washers and dryers in apartments.  Those panties aren’t going to wash themselves.

Do you even Woolite? Great for those hand washables. 
In a pinch, I have washed a comforter in a bathtub but it was NOT down nor was it a pleasant task, so Penelope I do hope you’re able to find a place that is open. 

@JBJthanks for the info. Gives one a little hope to know we’re making some improvement.

25 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Lots of people talking about math instruction. I'm a math teacher at the middle school level, and there is a lot of variation in what is being missed and how critical it is depending on grade level.

For instance I teach 7th grade, and the most critical topics to learn in 7th grade for future classes were all finished before the shutdowns. The material I have left to teach online is stuff that is building on last year and gets reinforced next year anyway, so it isn't super critical that every little detail gets right at this moment.

We've already started putting plans in place to identify the most critical stuff to try and teach for the rest of the year and it will get worked into next year's curriculum for each grade level up.

I really don't think it will be too big of a deal in the long run. Yes we are missed 9 weeks of instruction, but at least for middle school nearly 3 of those weeks were going to be State testing and district semester exams, and review for all of that testing. We are really transitioning about 6 weeks of new material into online instruction.

Glad that you seem to have that worked out so well and are able to work on next years curriculum. My 3rd-4th grade math teachers don’t feel the same. They teach new concepts up until early May. I used to teach 4th grade math and can promise you that if you start on day 1, you will be lucky to get it all in before staar. There are far too many new concepts, even though the overall difficulty isn’t too bad.

5th seems to be better off because they only had a couple of weeks until their staar date. Just about everything had been covered.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

How have you not leveraged yourself, with your status as Treated Patient Zero, into some sort of multimedia celebrity fortune as the heir apparent to Kevin Trudeau? 

No need to leverage myself when Ive got you and Sydney doing the heavy lifting. 

Seriously, I am encouraged by this one an continue to hold out hope that this could be a silver bullet for many if they start using it as a prophylactic. 

I guarantee you there are any number of people with access to concierge medical service who, in addition to their access to testing, have been getting this treatment for weeks.

It's just so shitty that we didn't get a unified message out to contain the spread of this in time with aggressive social measures.  There would have been more than adequate resources to help everyone better.

4 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

No need to leverage myself when Ive got you and Sydney doing the heavy lifting. 

I guarantee you there are any number of people with access to concierge medical service who, in addition to their access to testing, have been getting this treatment for weeks.

It's just so shitty that we didn't get a unified message out to contain the spread of this in time with aggressive social measures.  There would have been more than adequate resources to help everyone better.

You might know this, but I haven't seen it mentioned here today. On one of the XM business channels this morning, they were discussing the "news" that the FDA had issued an order allowing for chloroquine to be prescribed for off-label purposes as of today. I haven't seen it on here, so I assume I misheard or it was bullshit. Heard any different? I know France did as much this weekend, but I'm talking about the USA.

If this change is so, I'm going to ask my brother to get me a prescription for the z-pack and hchlor and get my nurse business partner to come over and give me an IV drip with a shitload of zinc and vitamin C in it. Then, I will be signing in under a new handle from that point forward: "quadruplehorn". 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

My school is completely full and we have a full kindergarten crew coming in next year. We can talk about the educational side of things but the logistical side would be a wreck if more than 10-15 kids per grade were retained. It would bump me to hiring a new teacher per grade and I don’t have anywhere to put them. It would mean rows of portables with teachers that wouldn’t be at the school long term because they wouldn’t be needed once the retained kids get worked through the system. Now imagine that same issue state wide. We don’t have enough teachers in many schools as it is.

I think there are two groups of kids that shouldn’t be lumped together. 

The group that gets by or might be a little behind. They can’t afford to miss instruction for two months but retention would be too drastic. They need some type of summer school if we can swing it.

The group that’s legitimately behind already. Many of these kids are in special education due to having a learning disability. In most cases retention isn’t the answer. They are already getting individualized instruction for their needs. Obviously this online mess is going to hurt them.

i think there's a third group maybe, very small...18 yoa seniors, AP and college courses this year, high performing... i have one of those, accepted to college and has her Terry scholarship interview tomorrow... she couldn't care less about prom, graduation, etc...

i guess they are doing online at Anderson, but she's honestly just DONE. she's been flourishing during this time, tbh. i'm not a teacher... but kids like that, i'm not sure there's that much more they can gain, feels like that subset might benefit from just a 'go forth and do life!' approach. they're gonna have a hard enough time come fall if the universities are still high risk. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Lots of people talking about math instruction. I'm a math teacher at the middle school level, and there is a lot of variation in what is being missed and how critical it is depending on grade level.

For instance I teach 7th grade, and the most critical topics to learn in 7th grade for future classes were all finished before the shutdowns. The material I have left to teach online is stuff that is building on last year and gets reinforced next year anyway, so it isn't super critical that every little detail gets right at this moment.

We've already started putting plans in place to identify the most critical stuff to try and teach for the rest of the year and it will get worked into next year's curriculum for each grade level up.

I really don't think it will be too big of a deal in the long run. Yes we are missed 9 weeks of instruction, but at least for middle school nearly 3 of those weeks were going to be State testing and district semester exams, and review for all of that testing. We are really transitioning about 6 weeks of new material into online instruction.

I teach history to 8th and 11th graders and I've been using online teaching resources a lot anyway so the transition really isn't too bad for them.

Another serious question for the nerds on here who have been focused on the personal hygiene details so slobs like me don't have to: I assume all of this "Method" plant-based cleaning and washing product is pure fucking trash when it comes to treating the virus, isn't it? We have wipes at my house that talk about how environmentally friendly they are, but do not mention killing bacteria or viruses like chlorox will often do, and my wife didn't take it with her to Galveston, so I assume it's all hot garbage. Hopefully someone knows and I'd love to be wrong.

Might also be a good time to short Method if they're publicly traded, I guess. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You might know this, but I haven't seen it mentioned here today. On one of the XM business channels this morning, they were discussing the "news" that the FDA had issued an order allowing for chloroquine to be prescribed for off-label purposes as of today. I haven't seen it on here, so I assume I misheard or it was bullshit. Heard any different? I know France did as much this weekend, but I'm talking about the USA.

If this change is so, I'm going to ask my brother to get me a prescription for the z-pack and hchlor and get my nurse business partner to come over and give me an IV drip with a shitload of zinc and vitamin C in it. Then, I will be signing in under a new handle from that point forward: "quadruplehorn". 

Don’t forget your jelly donut, private Pyle. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

school districts are loaning out chromebooks and tablets.  spectrum and altice are offering free internet service for households with non-adult students.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Another serious question for the nerds on here who have been focused on the personal hygiene details so slobs like me don't have to: I assume all of this "Method" plant-based cleaning and washing product is pure fucking trash when it comes to treating the virus, isn't it? We have wipes at my house that talk about how environmentally friendly they are, but do not mention killing bacteria or viruses like chlorox will often do, and my wife didn't take it with her to Galveston, so I assume it's all hot garbage. Hopefully someone knows and I'd love to be wrong.

i really hope tea tree and thyme oils kill this thing.  anecdotally i'm not sick.   yet. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ABSR said:

No, they are not canceling.  As Larry said, the terminology sucks.   They are going online.  My kid’s school has been pumping out a bunch of online stuff this morning to the parents, and it  looks like April 6th is the date.   Spoke with my kid’s teacher and she’s been doing a lot of training and prep work starting on that Friday they closed before spring break.  

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Probably never been tested so they don’t know and can’t claim antibacterial or antiviral. They would be good for wiping away stuff on the surface. Cleaning vs disinfecting. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Method will kill it. As will any regular old soap, plant based or not. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yes: 

"The Food and Drug Administration on Sunday issued an emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, decades-old malaria drugs championed by President Donald Trump for coronavirus treatment despite scant evidence. The agency allowed for the drugs to be "donated to the Strategic National Stockpile to be distributed and prescribed by doctors to hospitalized teen and adult patients with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible," HHS said in a statement, announcing that Sandoz donated 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine to the stockpile and Bayer donated 1 million doses of chloroquine. (Diamond, 3/29)"

Also note supply is not the issue right now, early detection is.  Since the testing problem will take weeks at best to sort out, better to treat unconfirmed cases as soon as possible with medical review of history to assess safety of rx for each individual.  If you've got any ILI with shortness of breath, or co-morbid risk factors with any ILI, you get it with your informed consent.  Have that stuff prepackaged asap and handed out in 5 day bubble packs without need to go to the pharmacy.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Many districts have Chromebooks and tablets, and most of them have been teaching the kids how to use them, and they can drop them off if needed.   The big barrier is internet access.   Some providers are stepping up, as it’s good publicity.

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I thought it could already be prescribed for offlabel use.  I did hear on the news today that the FDA is fast tracking some clinical studies to better understand its impact.

12 minutes ago, mchookem said:

they're gonna have a hard enough time come fall if the universities are still high risk. 

Good kid here as well. Her biggest problem is the university she was doing research with has closed access to the labs. So there goes three years of BioChem research and no way to finish the studies and publish the paper. Sucks since it is a great concept and could have global implications for environmental studies. 

We had the college talk last night and we decided it is not the end of the world if she does not go straight to her dream school and settles for something for year 1 closer to home. Sucks, but better than other options. 

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Method will kill it. As will any regular old soap, plant based or not. 

Yeah, my understanding is most soaps, anti-bacterial or not, will cause the surface of the virus to break down.  Again, not a scientician. 

On 3/28/2020 at 8:13 AM, SydneyCarton said:

He’s a fucking pilot. Also, it is You’re and misinformed is one word. Miss Informed is probably a character in a teacher/student porn. And we won’t start on your run on sentence. So maybe stop lecturing other folks when you obviously can’t remember context or their professions. 

by the way, in case you’re curious, RayDog lives in the Philippines and TexasHammer is currently in Italy. ChiTownDoc is, wait for it, a doctor. In Chicago. 

Miss Informed is the tranny sister to Miss Uniformed, and Miss Understood the two bisexual sluts, who coincidentally are related to South Austins mom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

One good way to solve that problem would be federal mandate so it’s not the fault of the local constabulary when the lockdown happens. 

My cousin said they’d love nothing better than for Abbott to push a statewide SIP/stay-at-home plan specifically for this reason.  Of course, he drives by his aunt’s nursing home every day when going to and from work, so it probably weighs on his mind more than some.    But it would solve their problem of local businesses telling them to fuck off.  

It’s frustrating, because last week, Abbott acknowledged that the existing measures weren’t working: “It is clear to me that we may not be achieving the level of compliance that is needed,” he said. “We will continue to evaluate based on all the data whether there needs to be heightened standards and stricter enforcement.

So we’re losing time.  

39 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Yes because there's nothing that Billy Bob likes better than to be told what to do by the Feds.

Would he prefer that granpappy and Mimi be turned away at the hospital?

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On one of the XM business channels this morning, they were discussing the "news" that the FDA had issued an order allowing for chloroquine to be prescribed for off-label purposes as of today. I haven't seen it on here, so I assume I misheard or it was bullshit. Heard any different? I know France did as much this weekend, but I'm talking about the USA.

A friend who is a chemist for a pharma co said that it had been approved, fwiw.

Off label use requires no special approval from the FDA.  The drugs have been approved for decades for treatment of malaria, RA, lupus, etc.  Off label use is at prescribers discretion and requires no special blessing from the FDA. I guess the FDA can give a blessing for its use if they want to, but it is not required. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JBJ said:

We undershot the trend everyday last week and are doing a bit better than my 70% reduction model.

Deaths are still roughly on trend, but this is not unexpected.  I should be able to actually get a firm lag period out of this.

Transmission 10-day trend is 0.26, down from 0.35 last Monday.

5-day trend is 0.21, down from 0.39 last Monday.

Fab08bLYsML2I0LgrhdWfCxGAe3BeAMjs1s6BMPk

If we stay on the current trend, Friday's O/U: 447,692 cases.

The reduction model's O/U: 303,639 cases.

I'll probably attempt a rebuild some time this week.  We have a good idea of the exposed -> reported case time frame.  Should be getting a good idea of exposed -> death lag time.  I wish there was information out there on hospitalizations and intubations, as the real goal is to keep those down.

Thanks JBJ.  What are you currently using for the exposed -> death lag time?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away