Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

23 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Texas with only 98 new cases so far today? We going full China here?

Not sure what your source is but I doubt the data is synced up.  For example, Dallas is supposed to update daily at 10AM based on numbers the day before.  They never do - it's always late.  It came in today sometime around 1PM but showed 61 new positives.  The "Texas" aggregate site by Texas HHS doesn't have the updated number for Dallas.

In sum, if our state and city govts all suck ass at actual testing, it stands to reason they will be equally shitty at reporting results.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Pasken said:

We're suppose to peak a little after most of the country in early may.

I get that everyone thinks we're not doing enough testing and that our populace in Texas is a bunch of mouthbreathing fucktards, but can you or someone else humor me and walk us through whatever logic you're using to get to this? This seems like you've got a delorean and you've just returned from that time period with an understanding that what has been done so far wasn't enough, and things had to get more draconian a few weeks from now in mid-April. 

And, of course, there's zero assumption that weather plays a role beyond all of the other variables that have been removed that people are ignoring with things like "peak" projections, as well as the fact that we're frankly not as infected to begin with as a number of other places. 

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Interesting development for sure. 

I mean... it's not *THAT* unreasonable. If they're considered essential employees providing an essential service, shouldn't their pay reflect that?

I'll take my further thoughts to a more appropriate forum, but I've got a feeling we're going to see quite a few strikes and sick-outs. Not to mention people refusing to pay rent and/or mortgages

Just now, Captainant said:

I mean... it's not *THAT* unreasonable. If they're considered essential employees providing an essential service, shouldn't their pay reflect that?

I'll take my further thoughts to a more appropriate forum, but I've got a feeling we're going to see quite a few strikes and sick-outs. Not to mention people refusing to pay rent and/or mortgages

hehehe, notice I did not comment on my opinion! See ya over there. And I do agree we are going to see more of this. 

2 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Ohio schools extended to May 1st today.

Hearing the same rumor here in Central Texas (not Austin) from a few teachers. One point they made is the district is planning food to go for students beyond the 1 May mark. Really don't see why they would open up after that with school ending 4 weeks later. 

I like how Virginia is handling it. Push it out far, let people get ready for it and if conditions improve walk it back. 

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I get that everyone thinks we're not doing enough testing and that our populace in Texas is a bunch of mouthbreathing fucktards, but can you or someone else humor me and walk us through whatever logic you're using to get to this? This seems like you've got a delorean and you've just returned from that time period with an understanding that what has been done so far wasn't enough, and things had to get more draconian a few weeks from now in mid-April. 

And, of course, there's zero assumption that weather plays a role beyond all of the other variables that have been removed that people are ignoring with things like "peak" projections, as well as the fact that we're frankly not as infected to begin with as a number of other places. 

I guess he's mis-reading the no social distancing curve in UT's report? Even if we do nothing, we aren't expected to "peak" until late May. If we're on the 50% social reduction curve, May will be pretty quiet. 

https://sites.cns.utexas.edu/sites/default/files/cid/files/covid-19_analysis_for_austin_march2020.pdf?m=1585249934

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Haven’t seen this posted

https://news.yahoo.com/mercedes-f1-develops-breathing-aid-085437680.html

doesnt day how or if it’s different than a normal CPAP 

More info at the link below.  Includes a photo of the necessary parts.  Apparently, one of the innovations is the mask with a better seal to the face.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mercedes-amg-f1-ventilator-cpap-covid-19/

17 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Hearing the same rumor here in Central Texas (not Austin) from a few teachers. One point they made is the district is planning food to go for students beyond the 1 May mark. Really don't see why they would open up after that with school ending 4 weeks later. 

I like how Virginia is handling it. Push it out far, let people get ready for it and if conditions improve walk it back. 

I don't know but if the kids are able to go back to actual school even for just a month at the end it will return a little normalcy. It's lets seniors have a few last regular days and allows younger kids a chance to "finish" a school year and say good-bye to teachers, etc. Also four weeks with regular teaching is better than some half-ass, cobbled-together home school type shit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shaggybevo said:

More info at the link below.  Includes a photo of the necessary parts.  Apparently, one of the innovations is the mask with a better seal to the face.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mercedes-amg-f1-ventilator-cpap-covid-19/

That makes me wanna get some serious respiratory failure.  Very badass...

58 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

and they'll be replaced by all of the out of work waiters and bartenders.

Yeah, this might be a tough time to strike as an unskilled labor force. There are literally millions of Americans recently out of work that are willing to take those jobs right now.

That said, I understand and agree with where those employees are coming from.

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Texas with only 98 new cases so far today? We going full China here?

You jinxed us. Over 310 new cases and rising.   

But we’ve run nearly 37,000 tests overall, so we are staying ahead of Oklahoma.  
edit: looks like less than 36,000 tests.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

*boom*

Charge he and his church for any medical bills arising from covid cases that can be traced back to his church.  

And he can argue "FIRST AMENDMENT!  FREEDOM OF RELIGION!"  And he will lose.  A reasonable exercise of the government's police powers (and a significant element of such reasonableness is their temporary nature -- this isn't a permanent law) trumps most constitutional rights.  I'm not stating something radical here -- the SCOTUS has been on board with that for a long-ass time.

Even the commies at the Heritage Foundation acknowledge and agree: https://www.heritage.org/the-constitution/commentary/constitutional-guide-emergency-powers :

The COVID-19 pandemic has led to extraordinary restraints on liberty, from international travel bans to state and local orders that businesses shut down, individuals avoid large assemblies and even stay home, and infected patients remain in quarantine. Depending on the epidemic’s progress, even more-draconian measures may be needed, such as restrictions on interstate and intrastate travel. It’s possible that “social distancing” will last for months rather than weeks.

All this goes against the grain in America, whose people treasure freedom and constitutional rights. But the government has ample constitutional and legal authority to impose such emergency steps.

Some state officials, such as New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, have urged the White House to take charge. But this isn’t a task for Washington alone. While the federal government has limited and enumerated constitutional authority, states possess a plenary “police power” and have primary responsibility for protecting public health.

States may also take more drastic measures, such as requiring citizens to be tested or vaccinated, even against their will. In Jacobson v. Massachusetts (1905), the Supreme Court considered a challenge to a state law requiring everyone to be vaccinated against smallpox. Henning Jacobson refused vaccination and was convicted. The court upheld the law and Jacobson’s conviction.

“The Constitution,” Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote for a 7-2 majority, “does not import an absolute right in each person to be, at all times and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint.” Instead, “a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic.” Its members “may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand.”

• Like 1

Damnit Pflugerville   This is how domestic violence will rise,

https://www.chron.com/coronavirus/article/Texas-Lake-Pflugerville-closed-due-to-15166580.php

The city of Pflugerville took further precautions on Monday amid the coronavirus pandemic, closing Lake Pflugerville until further notice.

In a news release, the city said overcrowding at the lake has put the public in danger. The closure, which begins noon Monday, includes the lake, fishing piers, pavilion, restrooms and trails surrounding the lake.

"If the City continues to see overcrowding or lack of social distancing in other parks, they will also be closed," the release says.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away