Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Would’ve been great, if there were actually masks for people to buy/wear. 

There are people selling masks all over Facebook. Plenty of them have inserts for n95 filters. I haven’t checked recently but I had no problem buying n95 and n99 replacement filters a couple weeks ago.

Either way, if everyone just wore a bandana it would still help.

Edited by StruggleBus
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Would’ve been great, if there were actually masks for people to buy/wear. 

I still have half a box of surgicalasks from when my entire family, minus me, got the flu this winter. I donated the few N95 masks I found in the garage to the local ER. I guess surgical masks are better than nothing

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
Typo

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I still have half a box of surgicalasks from when my entire family, minus me, got the flu this winter. I donated the few N95 masks I found in the garage to the local ER. I guess surgical masks are better than nothing

Cool.  I haven’t gotten the flu in almost 30 years and I got pneumonia while training for a triathlon while working 2 jobs.  I don’t get sick often, so I only buy masks when I’m painting large areas with a sprayer.   Even then I’d rather roll it.  

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Or it’s like China, and we are seeing the limitations of testing, and so it’s flattening artificially.   

Texas, for instance, should be seeing a helluva lot more testing with a state that has over 29 million folks, with a helluva lot of travelers, and a major international port, and a long international border.    According to friends and family, clusters are popping up in Oklahoma and Arkansas as well, that are not being reflected in the data.   And we know Florida and Louisiana are complete shitshows. 

I’m sorry but they’ve tested over 36,000 people, most of whom were saying they had symptoms or they wouldn’t have been tested and only 2900 cases against that as of last night at 8pm. At some point, bitch about the fucking testing all you want, but your premise of “so many more have it, OMG!” is probably full of shit. The worst symptomatic people in Texas are testing out at 8% positive and being treated. It’s not like fucking China. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Cool.  I haven’t gotten the flu in almost 30 years and I got pneumonia while training for a triathlon while working 2 jobs.  I don’t get sick often, so I only buy masks when I’m painting large areas with a sprayer.   Even then I’d rather roll it.  

Yeah, I had the N95s from some drywall projects and a fiberglass project. Donated 6 of them because the healthcare workers need them more than me

• Like 2

Basic training gonna keep on being a great place to pass around all kinds of illnesses

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Coronavirus-outbreak-at-Marine-Corps-boot-camp-15167203.php?cmpid=hpctp

A coronavirus outbreak has infected dozens of Marine recruits and staff members at the service's East Coast recruit training center, prompting the suspension of additional arrivals for the foreseeable future, defense officials said Monday.

The cases at Parris Island, South Carolina, emerged following a "wave in testing" over the weekend, a defense official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue. One official said there are at least 20 positive cases, and another said there are believed to be a few dozen but fewer than 50.

The outbreak could mark the Defense Department's largest yet. Defense officials have said that dozens of sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt have tested positive for the virus while on deployment in the Pacific, forcing a stop last week for treatment in Guam.

Props to these people.  God bless em.  At their wages they could probably sit at home and make the same money but they come every day and work their ass off.  My favorite people in most of the places I work.  I’m serious.  

Part of what I’m hoping comes out of all of this is that a shitload more people realize that “the little people” aren’t little at all. Everyone matters - and a lot of the people you hardly ever think of matter a lot. The cleaning crews, the grocery stockers, the truck drivers.

When I was first getting into the practice of law, a couple of mentors offered me the same advice: be kind and friendly to all of the staff you interact with. Receptionists, court clerks, etc. And it was good advice. Take care of them, they’ll take care of you. But it also makes you see what they do and appreciate it.

Salud to the cleaning crews.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Props to these people.  God bless em.  At their wages they could probably sit at home and make the same money but they come every day and work their ass off.  My favorite people in most of the places I work.  I’m serious.  

Yeah, few people realize the impact those people have.  Much respect to them and that video was terrific.  Next year instead of having the Oscars with all of douchebag Hollywood, we need to hold a big "thank you" even for these kind of people.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Yeah, I had the N95s from some drywall projects and a fiberglass project. Donated 6 of them because the healthcare workers need them more than me

I did manage to buy 5 in late February from Harbor Fake, but I gave them to my B-I-L who was set to go on business trips to NY, LA, and DC over the last few weeks.  Obviously he didn’t go, and I don’t have them.  Haha 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Do you understand that their assumption is still idiotic then? They're waiting for an edict when one isn't needed. The state is shut down about as far as it is going to get. Much of what they're not crediting as being shut down yet, which leads to their longer term projection for the state, is already effectively shutdown, as I referenced. 

It doesn't even seem like any of these distinctions matter. Their predictions for the state don't enter worryworld territory for the doomsdayers. Even in my own head I've assumed the death toll directly tied to this in Texas through July would wind up being 8-10k and they're half of that. 

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Or it’s like China, and we are seeing the limitations of testing, and so it’s flattening artificially.   

Texas, for instance, should be seeing a helluva lot more testing with a state that has over 29 million folks, with a helluva lot of travelers, and a major international port, and a long international border.    According to friends and family, clusters are popping up in Oklahoma and Arkansas as well, that are not being reflected in the data.   And we know Florida and Louisiana are complete shitshows. 

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m sorry but they’ve tested over 36,000 people, most of whom were saying they had symptoms or they wouldn’t have been tested and only 2900 cases against that as of last night at 8pm. At some point, bitch about the fucking testing all you want, but your premise of “so many more have it, OMG!” is probably full of shit. The worst symptomatic people in Texas are testing out at 8% positive and being treated. It’s not like fucking China. 

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The folks with the fancy degrees at UT Austin’s medical school, aren’t putting out papers warning us to get close to 90% in social distancing for shits and giggles.   They put that paper out there because it’s in the community and spreading, and we don’t know how many have it.

Bookmark your post and come back in a week or two and tell us how you were right, and how few have it, and how the UT Austin medical school folks got it wrong.  

Nah, I’ll just requote these, where I am clearly not fucking saying it’s no big deal and so few have it, but you are comparing Texas to China and then obfuscating who is saying what. 

And in that requote I’ll quote this part too, where I repeat to clowns like you for the 500th time on this thread that once the variables start getting removed, the academic models start skewing further and further into stupidity because chaos isn’t factored well in the classroom by dorks and quants who forget that the real world doesn’t happen in a test tube or spreadsheet. 

In a week, I’m sure it will be worse in Texas. No fucking shit. We also won’t be looking at the end of the world or begging the politicians to hand the state over to the cops and lock us up in our houses for our own good. 

So, yeah, you’ve got yourself a deal, boss.

21 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Where are you seeing this?

I don’t have the link on this device, but it was posted in this thread last week. I believe it is the Texas department of health tracking site and if you google that and click around, you’ll find it. They’re publishing public and private results combined and they have that access. 

Anyone claiming that Texas hasn’t reached a solid enough size of a testing base to start forming opinions on how we’re trending is one or more of four things:

1) clueless about statistics

2) has an agenda

3) is uninformed

4) is a fucking idiot

None of this is to say we are fine and shouldn’t stay vigilant as individuals or start claiming victory. 

The bigger absurdity in all of this is that the skew, and I’m almost confident there is one based on hypochondriac psychology, should favor the side that thinks “we’re really super infected like Wuhan all over this state but no one knows it!”

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Part of what I’m hoping comes out of all of this is that a shitload more people realize that “the little people” aren’t little at all. Everyone matters - and a lot of the people you hardly ever think of matter a lot. The cleaning crews, the grocery stockers, the truck drivers.

When I was first getting into the practice of law, a couple of mentors offered me the same advice: be kind and friendly to all of the staff you interact with. Receptionists, court clerks, etc. And it was good advice. Take care of them, they’ll take care of you. But it also makes you see what they do and appreciate it.

Well said.  We must have had the same mentor.  I can’t tell you how much easier life is when you have all those ‘little’ people on your side.  I don’t think they’re little at all for those who may not catch that.  

Also, the entire unit is a happier place.  It’s starts with the people at the top.  I have those same thoughts - maybe after this shit people will treat each other a little better.   NYC really did have a palpable change after 9/11.  Maybe something good will come of this mess too...

• Like 4

I don’t have the link on this device, but it was posted in this thread last week. I believe it is the Texas department of health tracking site and if you google that and click around, you’ll find it. They’re publishing public and private results combined and they have that access. 

I found this from this past Friday, 7.3%. wondering how many of that 23,660 # are negatives vs how many are pending results.

As of Friday afternoon, 1,731 people tested positive for novel coronavirus in Texas, including 23 deaths, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services. More than 23,660 people have been tested statewide.

New York seems pretty desperate for additional healthcare workers. Offering high pay to out-of-state nurses, asking doctors to come out of retirement, graduating medical students early, etc.

I’ve been wondering if there would come a point at which doctors who are not trained in emergency medicine, internal medicine, or critical care would be asked to join in the fight. Today, I got an email from a local (DFW) hospital system asking just that - volunteering for “specialty reassignment” in the event of a surge in patient volume. I haven’t managed a patient on a ventilator since my intern year but maybe it’s time to refresh my knowledge.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Anyone claiming that Texas hasn’t reached a solid enough size of a testing base to start forming opinions on how we’re trending is one or more of four things:

1) clueless about statistics

2) has an agenda

3) is uninformed

4) is a fucking idiot

None of this is to say we are fine and shouldn’t stay vigilant as individuals or start claiming victory. 

The bigger absurdity in all of this is that the skew, and I’m almost confident there is one based on hypochondriac psychology, should favor the side that thinks “we’re really super infected like Wuhan all over this state but no one knows it!”

I really have not argued with you.  I don’t think we are far off on how we think.  I just let some of the crazier predictions slide because being overly worried probably beats being too lackadaisical.  I don’t see you being lackadaisical but rather just annoyed at some of the hysteria.  

I guess I just think the way you’re saying things may rub people the wrong way but what you’re actually saying isn’t crazy.  Be vigilant.  Don’t freak out.  Texas is not heading towards Italy unless you don’t stay vigilant.  All fair points.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

New York seems pretty desperate for additional healthcare workers. Offering high pay to out-of-state nurses, asking doctors to come out of retirement, graduating medical students early, etc.

I’ve been wondering if there would come a point at which doctors who are not trained in emergency medicine, internal medicine, or critical care would be asked to join in the fight. Today, I got an email from a local (DFW) hospital system asking just that - volunteering for “specialty reassignment” in the event of a surge in patient volume. I haven’t managed a patient on a ventilator since my intern year but maybe it’s time to refresh my knowledge.

They already have been/already are. 

Talked to my mom earlier(71) and she asked if I was seeing people out with masks because they might need a few things from the store and my dad (72) told her they should wear masks. She seems to think it would look funny if others weren't wearing them and they were. I told her they should if they have some. Turns out they have a few unopened N95s from when my niece had a house fire a few years ago and my BIL who has asthma was helping with the cleanup.

I also recommended they just have one of my sister's kids who is a manager at Walmart just drop stuff off at their door, but that if they do go to just send in one in a mask and leave the other in the car.

The good news is they've stopped going to church or the senior center and have been in isolation for a couple weeks already. Had a couple dr appts cancelled that were just follow-up stuff. They're bored af.

• Like 1

Well said.  We must have had the same mentor.  I can’t tell you how much easier life is when you have all those ‘little’ people on your side.  I don’t think they’re little at all for those who may not catch that.  

Also, the entire unit is a happier place.  It’s starts with the people at the top.  I have those same thoughts - maybe after this shit people will treat each other a little better.   NYC really did have a palpable change after 9/11.  Maybe something good will come of this mess too...

Your second para is key. It’s got to be a collective thing. My staff is just as proud and hyped about every win, because they are absolutely an essential part of the team that brought it home. “We” isn’t just an important word to use, it has to be how you actually work.
I’ve worked with hospital CEOs. The good ones know the names and the stories of the cafeteria and cleaning crews. Because they make that shit run.
We’re making a whole lot of heroes these days. And people are stepping into that role. I’m really trying to find bright spots. This is definitely one of them.

44 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Basic training gonna keep on being a great place to pass around all kinds of illnesses

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Coronavirus-outbreak-at-Marine-Corps-boot-camp-15167203.php?cmpid=hpctp

Damn. The last time I had to leave the house was 3 weeks ago and it was to be fingerprinted at an Army recruiting center. Took over 10 minutes to get printed, rubbing my fingers over and over on the fucking scanner. The dude working the device kept rubbing his nose.

I took a Silkwood shower when I got home.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Nah, I’ll just requote these, where I am clearly not fucking saying it’s no big deal and so few have it, but you are comparing Texas to China and then obfuscating who is saying what. 

Nobody, myself included, is saying that we have Wuhan numbers.  Well, maybe Greenspoint, but nobody else is.  What we are talking about is testing, and you can see when bottlenecks crop up, whether it was China, Italy, Spain, the US, etc.  

Here in Texas, our 10 public labs doing covid tests can process a combined 700 a day,  Results beyond those labs  comes from private companies, and there is a helluva lag with them, because as they openly state, they are prioritizing certain areas and certain patients.  

I can explain this to you, but I can’t make you understand it:. We have problems with testing in Texas.  Officials have said it.  The companies processing tests outside of the public labs have said it.  Doctors have said it. Infected folks have said it.   The reports of a lag in testing correspond with oddities in the daily trends in various areas, and it gives us a serious false sense of security that folks like you latch onto.

But let’s hear from an expert:

As long as there are these lags with testing, we're not going to know the actual numbers, and I'm worried that there's a tendency to underestimate the severity of the epidemic — pandemic at this point,” said Dr. Shelley Payne, director of the University of Texas at Austin's LaMontagne Center for Infectious Disease.

• Like 1

Just now, F250 said:

Damn. The last time I had to leave the house was 3 weeks ago and it was to be fingerprinted at an Army recruiting center. Took over 10 minutes to get printed, rubbing my fingers over and over on the fucking scanner. The dude working the device kept rubbing his nose.

I took a Silkwood shower when I got home.

Dear Penthouse....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I really have not argued with you.  I don’t think we are far off on how we think.  I just let some of the crazier predictions slide because being overly worried probably beats being too lackadaisical.  I don’t see you being lackadaisical but rather just annoyed at some of the hysteria.  

I guess I just think the way you’re saying things may rub people the wrong way but what you’re actually saying isn’t crazy.  Be vigilant.  Don’t freak out.  Texas is not heading towards Italy unless you don’t stay vigilant.  All fair points.  

But come on, you’ve seen me post. If I can’t force people into positions so we actually know where we really stand, where’s the fun? 

There are factions on this thread and elsewhere about this very serious issue. In no particular order:

-“this is just like the flu”

-“we’re all going to die if we don’t lock up”

-“we’re not doing enough!”

-“relax”

-“it’s science nanny nanny boo boo”

-“there are so many stupid hillbilly people who all should die just to make the world better but I bet they kill me with their behaviors first”

I’m sure there are others. I’m in the “relax” part of the discussion, even if people believe I’m something beyond simply calm as a bomb. I don’t know shit about science but I know plenty about viral spread and big number exercises in the real world. People who want to ignore information that doesn’t inure to their position are worthy of derision. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

And in that requote I’ll quote this part too, where I repeat to clowns like you for the 500th time on this thread that once the variables start getting removed, the academic models start skewing further and further into stupidity because chaos isn’t factored well in the classroom by dorks and quants who forget that the real world doesn’t happen in a test tube or spreadsheet. 

So all those folks at UT Austin’s medical school are a bunch of dorks who don’t know what the real world is.   

spacer.png

Those dorks aren’t a bunch of aggy who can’t build a stadium without it swaying to Sandstorm.  

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Your second para is key. It’s got to be a collective thing. My staff is just as proud and hyped about every win, because they are absolutely an essential part of the team that brought it home. “We” isn’t just an important word to use, it has to be how you actually work.
I’ve worked with hospital CEOs. The good ones know the names and the stories of the cafeteria and cleaning crews. Because they make that shit run.
We’re making a whole lot of heroes these days. And people are stepping into that role. I’m really trying to find bright spots. This is definitely one of them.

Yep.   Just like running a restaurant.  Gotta be able to talk with and relate to everyone.  Have to be a bartender, server, cashier, know how to cook every dish on the menu, do the prep work, and do it damn near as fast and effective as those you’re paying to do it.   But then, you need to thank them for doing it, and know what their effort is achieving.  Buy them a beer or a meal.  When the Spanish speaking workers come speak to you in English, you speak English with them.  When Spanish, you speak Spanish.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Link was posted earlier. 

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nobody, myself included, is saying that we have Wuhan numbers.  Well, maybe Greenspoint, but nobody else is.  What we are talking about is testing, and you can see when bottlenecks crop up, whether it was China, Italy, Spain, the US, etc.  

Here in Texas, our 10 public labs doing covid tests can process a combined 700 a day,  Results beyond those labs  comes from private companies, and there is a helluva lag with them, because as they openly state, they are prioritizing certain areas and certain patients.  

I can explain this to you, but I can’t make you understand it:. We have problems with testing in Texas.  Officials have said it.  The companies processing tests outside of the public labs have said it.  Doctors have said it. Infected folks have said it.   The reports of a lag in testing correspond with oddities in the daily trends in various areas, and it gives us a serious false sense of security that folks like you latch onto.

But let’s hear from an expert:

I don’t need to know the actual numbers to understand how statistics can help me draw a conclusion on trends. You seem bright enough, so you’re obviously being purposefully obtuse to suit your point in your mind. The statistical biases in this exercise work in your favor and you still don’t have an outcome to lean on that says “or maybe we’re China”, which is what you wrote previously (paraphrasing if it’s not exact in order to be spared pedantry). 

Also, no shit testing in Texas has problems. Go point out where I denied or even faded that position. That doesn’t change the reality of having enough data to claim something beyond “we don’t know anything yet!”. You’re heading toward cheap rhetorical tactics when you start constructing straw men like this. 

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I just got forbearance from suntrust on my mortgage, my caseload is dropping and who knows when we will see another full pay stub. When I got a worker, he was useful and efficient. I told him so. what a fucked up job with a 6 hour queue. Shout out mortgage dude.

spacer.png

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away