Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russian-doctor-putin-coronavirus

A Russian doctor who gave President Vladimir Putin a tour of a hospital that is treating coronavirus patients now says he has contracted the sickness.

Denis Protsenko, who works at Hospital No. 40 near Moscow, was photographed shaking hands with Putin last Tuesday while not wearing any protective gear.

“Yes, I have a positive test but feeling pretty good,” Protsenko wrote in a Facebook post today, adding that he is now self-quarantining in his office.

So Russia “only” has two thousand cases or so, but they are building new hospitals just for covid, and Putin happened to shake hands with somebody who has it.  
spacer.png

• Like 8

Mayo Clinic getting shit done, part 3:

https://www.startribune.com/u-mayo-ready-covid-19-antibody-tests-in-minnesota/569233992/

First, Mayo has been cranking through something like 4,000+ tests per day and has helped clear the state's testing backlog. 

Now, the U of M/Mayo joint researchers have trials out for the antibody tests. They've got work yet to do, and need more testing, but the process and early results are quite promising. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Imagine if the fatality rate for the flu was based off of only positive tests the way CV-19 is?  The number would be scary high.

Also imagine if they did a running tally daily of flu deaths each year in the fall/winter.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

of course he didn't try to predict total exposure yet.  how do you know if the fatality rate is worse than flu?  I've arlready said it will probably be 2x or maybe 3x  the flu(using 40K as the number). 

Because the flu doesn't do what we've seen so far?

Also, a simple example, San Marino has a population of 33,000 with 236 confirmed cases and 25 deaths so far. If Coronavirus had the same IFR as the flu (.1%), you'd expect 33 deaths if every man, woman, and child were infected. It has been in nationwide quarantine since March 14, when they had only 67 confirmed cases and 5 deaths. Its first case was detected on February 27th. Is it really believable that the entire country managed to get infected in a 2 week time frame from the first reported infection?

Edited by Dahobbs

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

No it wasn't.  Chinatown just wasn't getting any business because people were scared to go there thinking they would get the 'Rona.  Houston newsstations were doing segments from Chinatown for days begging people to come support the businesses there. 

chinatown wasn't officially shut down.  i don't think they'll ever officially shut down.  even during harvey there were businesses open.  but the last weekend of january traffic (both vehicular and foot) was already down 50%.  it was surreal.  and all large gatherings of asians experienced about half the attendance they otherwise would have expected.  this was the weekend of the superbowl.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I'm in complete agreement with this not being the flu.  I'm in complete agreement with our efforts to not overwhelm the hospital system.

But they shouldn't even try to report fatality rates unless they want to give it an honest try and not just say "the numbers are the numbers."

This flu season, there have been 242,000 positive flu tests.  Yet the CDC estimates their have been 39,000,000 flu illnesses and 24,000 deaths.  The flu fatality rate is based off of the estimated cases. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

That is a complete apples to oranges way of calculating the fatality rate for CV-19.  Imagine if the fatality rate for the flu was based off of only positive tests the way CV-19 is?  The number would be scary high.

there is a paper from CDC on how they extrapolated 115K confirmed cases of H1N1 to 60M estimated cases and 3400 confirmed fatalities to 12K estimated fatalities.

Edited by dcar00

12 minutes ago, Txzen said:

Best source of graphs, per capita at state/regional level, as percent of population (super helpful way to look at the data, frankly) https://twitter.com/isfBob

Case density as percent of population, worldwide:

Hide contents

EUZjSQZUUAEweRH?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Mid-West

Reveal hidden contents

EUZlxjDUUAAX3k9?format=jpg&name=4096x409

South: 

Reveal hidden contents

EUZlq4PU8AAihYJ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Northeast:

Reveal hidden contents

EUZlkkdUcAAH2qw?format=jpg&name=4096x409

West:

Reveal hidden contents

EUZld9NVAAA1_PF?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Those are great. Thanks for posting these. 

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You could do that with anything. Auto deaths, heart attacks, cancer deaths...

Those are not given to you by one of your friends when he sneezes at the bar.

Car accidents, heart attacks and cancer is a known.

• Like 2

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

You could do that with anything. Auto deaths, heart attacks, cancer deaths...

17 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I'm in complete agreement with this not being the flu.  I'm in complete agreement with our efforts to not overwhelm the hospital system.

But they shouldn't even try to report fatality rates unless they want to give it an honest try and not just say "the numbers are the numbers."

This flu season, there have been 242,000 positive flu tests.  Yet the CDC estimates their have been 39,000,000 flu illnesses and 24,000 deaths.  The flu fatality rate is based off of the estimated cases. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

That is a complete apples to oranges way of calculating the fatality rate for CV-19.  Imagine if the fatality rate for the flu was based off of only positive tests the way CV-19 is?  The number would be scary high.

hmmm.  ya think?

on the subject of other deaths, yes you could and I think we get auto deaths on the signs on the highway. don't "spike".  they should be pretty even, medical deaths like that don't overwhelm the system, but I could see auto deaths being higher maybe in the summer?

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Walmart taking employees’ temperatures at stores and distribution centers   Kinda surprised they weren’t before now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/31/coronavirus-walmart-will-start-taking-all-employees-temperatures-before-shifts.html

it would have been illegal to do so until about 2 weeks ago. https://www.natlawreview.com/article/eeoc-issues-guidance-taking-employee-temperatures

implementing that policy does have potential downline legal issues

If you decide to move in this direction, you will want to put together a detailed plan that addresses how this procedure will occur. It is important to keep in mind employees’ privacy, how the information will be secured to maintain confidentiality, how you would handle an employee refusal and what actions you would take if an employee has a fever

The new EEOC guidance also makes clear that during this pandemic, employers may ask employees who call in sick if they are experiencing symptoms of coronavirus without violating the ADA. However, it is important that you do not ask about symptoms related to other conditions. The EEOC guidance also lists the COVID-19 symptoms and you should not ask about symptoms related to other health conditions.

8 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Chris Cuomo has been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus, the CNN primetime host confirmed on Tuesday morning.

Cuomo said in a statement that he's feeling well and will continue to host Cuomo Prime Time nightly while he recovers from the virus.

Seems kinda against what his brother keeps saying doesn’t it?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

So our military seriously didn't have plans in place to quarantine service members on navy ships if an outbreak occurs?  Because that's only one of the most predictable things ever after what we've seen with cruises.   Seems we find new evidence of our gross incompetence daily.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Shit   He seems like he’d have underlying conditions - thought he had something, done remember if it was diabetes or something else   

he's older but I've never heard of him being a hard partier but who knows.    looking at the wiki, had no idea he was Jewish.  if he has had it for 10 and no fever or cough he might be OK. cross fingers.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Shit   He seems like he’d have underlying conditions - thought he had something, done remember if it was diabetes or something else   

Sure hope Ray does alright, I've always enjoyed his shows.  One interesting bit of information in here is that once he WAS finally able to get a test, the results came back next-day.  So not ALL tests are taking multiple days to process.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Seems kinda against what his brother keeps saying doesn’t it?

He's hosting it from his basement at home, which is where he's quarantined and doesn't allow any of his family members to come down. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Sure hope Ray does alright, I've always enjoyed his shows.  One interesting bit of information in here is that once he WAS finally able to get a test, the results came back next-day.  So not ALL tests are taking multiple days to process.

celebrity fast track yo!

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

One interesting bit of information in here is that once he WAS finally able to get a test, the results came back next-day.  So not ALL tests are taking multiple days to process.

This is just an educated guess but I think hospitals are generally able to get tests back pretty quickly.  So maybe Celebrities do as well.  I'm think mass testing locations and doctors offices are those that may get backlogged significantly. 

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

As far as I know, it depends on where you have it done, how busy they are (overall) and what lab is doing the processing

Yeesh. Regular flu tests are 50-70% percent accurate and we don’t know how accurate C19 tests are. That has to seriously fuck with the numbers.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coronavirus-testing#accuracy

I think you have to base the math on estimated cases and deaths. Testing numbers are basically noise at this point.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

chinatown wasn't officially shut down.  i don't think they'll ever officially shut down.  even during harvey there were businesses open.  but the last weekend of january traffic (both vehicular and foot) was already down 50%.  it was surreal.  and all large gatherings of asians experienced about half the attendance they otherwise would have expected.  this was the weekend of the superbowl.  

Yea i probably made a poor choice of words - shut down is not accurate. What I meant was social distancing in the area started prior to anywhere else in town. Some Chinese American folks I work with posited that it was because they knew of relatives that flying to the US from China with stories and news of the virus impact. Some of those very same people also participated in Chinese New Year festivities in large groups, so whole lot of good that did. 

29 minutes ago, Skipper said:

So our military seriously didn't have plans in place to quarantine service members on navy ships if an outbreak occurs?  Because that's only one of the most predictable things ever after what we've seen with cruises.   Seems we find new evidence of our gross incompetence daily.

It’s way more complicated than “not having a plan.”   This is a deployed aircraft carrier.  They are forward deployed conducting strategic operations.  There is NO PRACTICAL WAY to quarantine individual sailors on a ship at sea.  It just can’t be done.  The only way to do it - and what the Captain is asking for - is to pause the ship’s deployment, get the sailors off the ship, and quarantine ashore until they feel confident that they have it under control.  It really is unprecedented.   

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Like 3

I saw the Navy article came from the San Francisco Chronicle. Assuming they are in the bay area, there is a Naval Hospital in Oakland.

By the way, do any of you Bay Area guys know what they eventually did with Treasure Island? Assuming it is vacant and they don't want to use the Naval Hospital and the buildings on Treasure Island aren't dilapidated then maybe that is another option. It seems weird though that we are hearing about this through the newspaper.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I saw the Navy article came from the San Francisco Chronicle. Assuming they are in the bay area, there is a Naval Hospital in Oakland.

By the way, do any of you Bay Area guys know what they eventually did with Treasure Island? Assuming it is vacant and they don't want to use the Naval Hospital and the buildings on Treasure Island aren't dilapidated then maybe that is another option. It seems weird though that we are hearing about this through the newspaper.

they are in Guam?

16 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I've read something like 70% don't come off alive. 

This was what I had read too, but this was before the updated/hopeful application of Chloroquine and HydroxiChloroquine, so hopefully earlier treatment will drastically improve this result.

Other issue is that even for those who come off ventilation, they have needed such a long treatment that it has injured or weakened both lungs and possibly heart function.

1 minute ago, tjhooker said:

We are in our 3rd week of online school in Ohio. Our Gov. locked down things much earlier than almost any state. I think it's had a dramatic impact.  Michigan is a fucking hot zone right now with I think 5x the cases.  Smaller connecting state that fucked around a bit. 

It’s like your governor played their governor in the Shoe at night. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

It’s way more complicated than “not having a plan.”   This is a deployed aircraft carrier.  They are forward deployed conducting strategic operations.  There is NO PRACTICAL WAY to quarantine individual sailors on a ship at sea.  It just can’t be done.  The only way to do it - and what the Captain is asking for - is to pause the ship’s deployment, get the sailors off the ship, and quarantine ashore until they feel confident that they have it under control.  It really is unprecedented.   

I understand they can't quarantine sailors on a ship at sea.  My point was that it was completely predictable for an aircraft carrier or other military ship, whether deployed or not, to have a virus outbreak.  Maybe I don't understand military logistics or why not feasible or realistic, but I'm a but surprised a Captain is having to write a letter explaining the dire situation instead of there being a plan in place.  I.e., before the outbreak occurred, understanding that one did occur, he may need to pause deployment and isolate at Guam.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away