Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

One of our private lab partners got 5000 Ab tests.  I'm going in a couple hrs to get it done.  I'm gonna be one happy MF is I'm positive.  Should be a lot more Ab testing over the next few weeks but not very large bump until May...that's my guess. 

That's fine. I'll pm you so can fedex me six, good buddy ol'pal.

• Haha 1

My first cousin (we are pretty tight) is an ICU nurse at Dallas Methodist, as well as his wife. He was just put in the Coronavirus wing, double masked, double gloved, and face shield. He has 3 patients on ventilators. Been choked up and praying since I found out. I imagine his chances of catching it has to be almost 100%.

On a brighter note, we have stalled out on new cases in Hood County. So far about 45 people have been tested, only three confirmed cases, all, last week, and they were all travel related. All are at home in quarantine. Everyone is being really reasonable on SIP and maintaining social distance. It's a lot easier in sparsely populated areas. If you have a place to bug out, I feel it would decrease the likelihood of getting infected.

CHIEF

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

I'm in complete agreement with this not being the flu.  I'm in complete agreement with our efforts to not overwhelm the hospital system.

But they shouldn't even try to report fatality rates unless they want to give it an honest try and not just say "the numbers are the numbers."

This flu season, there have been 242,000 positive flu tests.  Yet the CDC estimates their have been 39,000,000 flu illnesses and 24,000 deaths.  The flu fatality rate is based off of the estimated cases. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

That is a complete apples to oranges way of calculating the fatality rate for CV-19.  Imagine if the fatality rate for the flu was based off of only positive tests the way CV-19 is?  The number would be scary high.

So 10% CFR of positives flu tests so far for flu?

16 minutes ago, Skipper said:

14 days LOL.  Case and point why it's worthless to gain any meaningful data based on confirmed cases alone.  No doubt that "positive" will probably finally be added to the "official" stats sometime tomorrow.

14 days?

giphy.gif

Oh by the way, the much-fellated state of Ohio just showed up on the scoreboard today with another 16 deaths, surpassing Texas overall with slightly more than a 1/3 the size of the population. 

If we're going to look at impressive work being done by the various states, my view is that California looks like they've done an unbelievable job so far, along with Washington state. CA somehow fending off massive blow-ups in San Fran and Los Angeles so far is borderline amazing. I hope that sticks. Washington, sad as it is, caught the break with the nursing home problems and deaths. It was an early wake-up call that they took seriously. Rather than seeing the hospital overrun and massive wave of deaths, their numbers have flattened out and even gone down in the past few days. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh by the way, the much-fellated state of Ohio just showed up on the scoreboard today with another 16 deaths, surpassing Texas overall with slightly more than a 1/3 the size of the population. 

If we're going to look at impressive work being done by the various states, my view is that California looks like they've done an unbelievable job so far, along with Washington state. CA somehow fending off massive blow-ups in San Fran and Los Angeles so far is borderline amazing. I hope that sticks. Washington, sad as it is, caught the break with the nursing home problems and deaths. It was an early wake-up call that they took seriously. Rather than seeing the hospital overrun and massive wave of deaths, their numbers have flattened out and even gone down in the past few days. 

Were the 68,000 tests in California ever reported? 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The continued lamentations of the oncoming apocalypse in Texas have no actual basis in fact or anything to do with the actual trendlines. It's a regular cheap pull from the hysterics grab bag that you and a few others go to regularly. 

I’m not saying we are going to have an apocalypse, so stop trying to defend yourself by making shit up.     We get it, your a sunshine pumper.   Always good to have a few around.    Don’t try to lump some of us in with Greenspoint or whoever currently has your knickers twisted in knots.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Don't think I'm "fellating" it, but I feel like Ohio's doing the best it can with what it's got to work with.  Jorts and rope chain crowd can only take you so far.

• Haha 1

So what are you guys doing about haircuts because I'm about this close to texting my friend who cuts my hair in barbershop place to ask if I can go over to her house two miles away and have her do it there, Corona be damned

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

Abbott’s presser coming up in a few minutes   Will be live at the link below   

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/gov-abbott-provides-latest-covid-19-update-from-texas-capitol/

The press conference is scheduled for 2 p.m. from the Texas Capitol on Tuesday. Abbott’s office confirmed the other participants in the briefing will include Texas Department of State Health Services Commissioner Dr. John Hellerstedt, Texas Division of Emergency Management Chief Nim Kidd and Commissioner Mike Morath of the Texas Education Agency. House Speaker Dennis Bonnen announced Tuesday morning he would be in attendance as well. 

While Hellerstedt and Kidd are regulars for Abbott’s coronavirus briefings, Morath’s presence at the press conference indicates some sort of education-related announcement could be expected.

Edited by atomheartbevo

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

One of our private lab partners got 5000 Ab tests.  I'm going in a couple hrs to get it done.  I'm gonna be one happy MF is I'm positive.  Should be a lot more Ab testing over the next few weeks but not very large bump until May...that's my guess. 

Is this the little white box from Abbot Labs I saw on TV?

What is this "we" shit, white man? Your conjecture is your own, because the facts aren't working in your favor. You just lumped us in with fucking Florida without any actual facts to utilize in doing so. And to take a position that you haven't been holistically derogatory about the entirety of the state in your posts here is also disingenuous silliness. From rants about Cletus to projecting explosions in Dallas to now going back to the "stupid small town people" trope with rants about the state government mixed in, it's like a sideshow to the thread. 
But hey, you're aligned well with Dahobbs. He's the guy who matter of fact declared this time a week ago that on April 10 we'd be seeing 10,000 deaths a day in the US. You guys keep at it. It's good shit.

Jesus Christ. Take it outside you two.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, iodeac said:

So what are you guys doing about haircuts because I'm about this close to texting my friend who cuts my hair in barbershop place to ask if I can go over to her house two miles away and have her do it there, Corona be damned

I shave my own head like a real gotdam man.

Do it -- once you do, you'll wish you had started doing it earlier. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, iodeac said:

I have hair down to my shoulders, I don't give a fuck

Are you fucking KIDDING me?  Late yesterday, after having a migraine (she gets them regularly, and the weather was wonky, which often triggers them), my wife's eye became bloodshot and sore.  So much so, she had to put ice on her eye as she went to sleep.  It feels better today, although still a little sore, and still somewhat bloodshot.  Sure looks like pink eye, and was definitely accute.
Sigh.  We'll keep an eye on things.
Come the fuck on, man.

My wife has not been able to taste or smell for about a week. It was concerning at first but springtime allergies create similar symptoms.

Be vigilant but don’t let it keep you up at night.

7 minutes ago, iodeac said:

Went ahead and buzzed my head. I do it like once a year anyway so figured now’s the time

• Like 1

For research purposes only, I follow some Texas Pom members on instagram, and noticed a few of them posting pictures of a group beach vacation a few weeks ago.  The pictures were lovely, but I was left shaking my head.
Interestingly, now I can't seem to find any of those posts on their accounts anymore. Some of the stuff was on their stories so goes away, but maybe they're not so proud of the trip now that everyone brought COVID back with them?

Some jackasses we know went to Port A with about 4 families. They took plenty of pictures with bottles of Corona. All posted to social media of course.

Now those posts are no where to be found and they post updates with hashtags like #quarantinelife

Fuck them.

I’ll add that one of said jackasses runs the primary construction company for a well known wing restaurant.
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm only half-listening, and Abbott seems to be dancing around the points.  So do we have a statewide stay-at-home order now?

Basically. Called it something fancy. Not as draconian as some East Coast locations. 

Edited by InkaUtexas

21 minutes ago, iodeac said:

Can’t you just get one of those little razors for your neck and let the rest grow for a month or two?  We are at most 5-6 weeks from you being able to get a normal haircut at a barbershop again.  

41 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

According to Michael Osterholm:

• Obesity may be the highest risk factor for younger people who die

“We’re seeing an increased number of severe illnesses and deaths in people between the ages of 25 and 50…and the risk factor appears to be obesity.”

Say goodbye to Louisiana.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, iodeac said:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away