Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

read the last 3 pages and didnt see anything about this story.

at least 28 out of 70 spring breakers who took a chartered flight to Mexico 16 days ago have tested positive,  the vast majority of them are UT students......

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/austin-health-officials-investigating-after-group-of-spring-breakers-return-test-positive-for-covid-19/269-0fc400da-9712-455d-b884-99e7b5c2fa34

willing to bet at least a few of these folks have instagrams showing at least some covid related stupidity.....

AUSTIN, Texas — A large group of Austin spring breakers have tested positive for coronavirus after returning from a trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, the Austin Public Health (APH) said Tuesday, March 31.

Austin health officials said about 70 people in their 20s went to Mexico on a chartered plane for their spring break trip about a week-and-a-half ago. Part of the group returned on separate commercial flights.

There are 28 young adults on the trip that have tested positive for COVID-19 so far, and dozens more are under public health investigation, Austin Public Health said. Four of the confirmed cases did not present any symptoms. All 28 people diagnosed with the virus are self-isolating and being monitored at this time.

The University of Texas confirmed to KVUE that "many" of the young adults who went on this trip are students at UT, and those who tested positive were confirmed. The university released the following statement:

"Many of those involved were UT Austin students. The university is working closely with Austin Public Health to assist in contact tracing. The incident is a reminder of the vital importance of taking seriously the warnings of public health authorities on the risks of becoming infected with COVID-19 and spreading it to others. UT Health Austin is a group practice designed and managed by the faculty and staff of the Dell Medical School. It serves an array of clients. University Health Services provides medical care and patient education to students at The University of Texas at Austin, and it is part of the university’s Division of Student Affairs. Both organizations are working closely with Austin Public Health.”

According to an official with Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, the spring breakers took a charter flight from the airport on March 14. The majority of them reportedly returned on a charter flight on March 19. Although they were chartered flights, the travelers did go through the terminals at the Austin airport when they departed and returned to Austin.

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

at least 28 out of 70 spring breakers who took a chartered flight to Mexico 16 days ago have tested positive,  the vast majority of them are UT students......

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/austin-health-officials-investigating-after-group-of-spring-breakers-return-test-positive-for-covid-19/269-0fc400da-9712-455d-b884-99e7b5c2fa34

willing to bet at least a few of these folks have instagrams showing at least some covid related stupidity.....

You didn't go back far enough.....It's on here

Edited by BillyGoatHill

7 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Has anyone else gotten a Google popup when reading that article.  It claims you've won a prize etc etc.   I've seen it quite a bit lately when clicking on links.  Pretty sure it's malware but thought I'd ask anyway.

Just now, SHOOTER12 said:

Has anyone else gotten a Google popup when reading that article.  It claims you've won a prize etc etc.   I've seen it quite a bit lately when clicking on links.  Pretty sure it's malware but thought I'd ask anyway.

I did not.  You're probably due to clean up your system.

32 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

200.gif

To be fair, I actually think this issue requires a delicate balance. People are going to need comfort during this time and for many religious services are critical part of that. Requiring that services either be done remotely or in conformance with CDC guidelines may be a decent compromise. But, devil is the details here. For instance, don't the CDC guidelines now prevent gatherings of more than 10 people? If you're complying with those, then you're only allowing small sessions. From a combined mental and physical health perspective, that actually may be the best we can do. But, if the Abbott order actually allows for large church services to reopen (or is intended to result in that) then it is monumentally stupid. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

You on a phone? I've noticed a lot of local news sites are infested by those takeovers when I go to one on mine.

19 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Was discussed on pages 546 and 547 and I said this earlier, but some Texas Pom girls that I follow on IG scrubbed their accounts of any pictures from a beach trip over Spring Break.  I'm not positive it was Cabo or any of the same people but it was a large group of UT students.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

15 cases in my zip-code (78703).

Would love to know how many of the ones in central austin/westlake zips are related to skiing/spring break

It's really sobering to start seeing multiple cases in your ZIP code. I live near the intersection of three, added them up, and suddenly started regretting going to pick up beer at the corner store over the weekend on a major street that defines a boundary.

34 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Making fun of paralyzed people is badass.  I bet you got all the chicks in high school.  

We sincerely appreciate your input and we want you to know that your opinions are highly valued. We will be considering your participation in our process and respecting your position as we progress through our decisions making. We thank you for taking your time to devote to this important issue, and for sharing your measured and erudite perspective.

Spoiler

In other words, please kindly go fuck yourself.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

To be fair, I actually think this issue requires a delicate balance. People are going to need comfort during this time and for many religious services are critical part of that. Requiring that services either be done remotely or in conformance with CDC guidelines may be a decent compromise. But, devil is the details here. For instance, don't the CDC guidelines now prevent gatherings of more than 10 people? If you're complying with those, than you're only allowing small sessions. From a combined mental and physical health perspective, that actually may be the best we can do. But, if the Abbott order actually allows for large church services to reopen (or is intended to result in that) then it is monumentally stupid. 

My wife has been holding a weekly service, and many of her colleagues are head pastors at various congregations -- they are ALL using online platforms to offer services.  I suspect that he intends the second bolded text.  I also suspect we'll get some clarity on that in short order.  Bet on it being the WRONG answer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I did not.  You're probably due to clean up your system.

Dang... probably right

11 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You on a phone? I've noticed a lot of local news sites are infested by those takeovers when I go to one on mine.

Yep

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

it is not real

get something like ublock origin or ghostery (and also privacy badger)

Thanks,

Will those work on a phone?  I noticed that the site stated "add to a desktop".

Or will they work on mobile devices also?

Edited by SHOOTER12

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It's really sobering to start seeing multiple cases in your ZIP code. I live near the intersection of three, added them up, and suddenly started regretting going to pick up beer at the corner store over the weekend on a major street that defines a boundary.

Not to pick on you in particular, but why in the FUCK are people still going out in public for groceries, beer, etc? You can have anything you need delivered to your door for a small fee. 

My girlfriend has been doin her own strange religious thing before bed every night. She has something going on YouTube and is repeatedly saying something while she clutches her rosary. I have been sleeping on the couch. She also has something taped to the front window that I think is supposed to keep the virus from entering the house. I am letting her take care of all that for me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Looking like the US is going to easily clear 22,000 new cases and 700+ new deaths today . Sitting at 21,345 and 620 on 1point3acres with the regular nightly numbers from NYC still to be added. 

We are almost at 4,000 deaths. We hit 3,000 yesterday, 2,000 on Saturday, and 1,000 last Wednesday. 

5 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Not to pick on you in particular, but why in the FUCK are people still going out in public for groceries, beer, etc? You can have anything you need delivered to your door for a small fee. 

LIquor?

6 minutes ago, po elvis said:

My girlfriend has been doin her own strange religious thing before bed every night. She has something going on YouTube and is repeatedly saying something while she clutches her rosary. I have been sleeping on the couch. She also has something taped to the front window that I think is supposed to keep the virus from entering the house. I am letting her take care of all that for me.

The Exorcist Exorcism GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Definitely wasn't a smart move for sure. Promise you though, it was the first time I started the car engine since being sent home to work from there since the 19th.

9 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Because the delivery slots are all full?

10 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

because people need groceries and not everything is delivered.  Delivery for my parents in a smaller town is running a week after ordering now.

Now all the fuckers at home depot, you kinda have a point, but it's perfectly acceptable to go and pick up shit you need like groceries.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

By the same person who has delivered X number of items touched by Y people over the last 14-20 days?  No thank you. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

By the same person who has delivered X number of items touched by Y people over the last 14-20 days?  No thank you. 

I think you're better off doing that and just wiping down the items then going to the actual store and directly exposing yourself to hundreds of people. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

maybe should be in the 'shit my kid says' thread, but my 9yo commented that "you can't worship if you're dead" when wife and I were discussing all the dumbfucks that keep trying to worship face to face no matter what.

You'd think all these Joel Osteen wannabes that are continuing to have service would realize that they can't bilk their flock out of $50M like Osteen did if half of them die of Covid.

10 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I think you're better off doing that and just wiping down the items then going to the actual store and directly exposing yourself to hundreds of people. 

That's why you grab from the back of the shelf on middle/high priced stuff.  Less volume and traffic

Shit, I gave away my secret Coronavirus Liquor Shopping Plan.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away