Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

39 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

To be fair, I actually think this issue requires a delicate balance. People are going to need comfort during this time and for many religious services are critical part of that. Requiring that services either be done remotely or in conformance with CDC guidelines may be a decent compromise. But, devil is the details here. For instance, don't the CDC guidelines now prevent gatherings of more than 10 people? If you're complying with those, then you're only allowing small sessions. From a combined mental and physical health perspective, that actually may be the best we can do. But, if the Abbott order actually allows for large church services to reopen (or is intended to result in that) then it is monumentally stupid. 

The CDC is a bit vague about the 10 people rule, but I think they mean groups that are most likely people that are already frequently together.  10 people from 10 different households is an extremely bad idea.  Not to mention that my assumption would be that churchgoers can trend to be older and they absolutely don't need to be around anyone.

There is also a tendency to think of someone you know, or acquainted with, to be free of coronavirus.  It's always happening to someone else not the people you like or love.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You'd think all these Joel Osteen wannabes that are continuing to have service would realize that they can't bilk their flock out of $50M like Osteen did if half of them die of Covid.

Dude. You have better chance to live the more you give. I thought that was understood. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I think you're better off doing that and just wiping down the items then going to the actual store and directly exposing yourself to hundreds of people. 

Or load up on one run to last for 4 weeks. We haven’t gone out for anything in 3 weeks and have 1-2 more weeks worth of stuff before we would have to start eating unusual combinations. Have had some non perishables delivered from amazon. 
theres no delivery or even curbside pickup here. 
wife has gotten creative. Just received 10 lb of butter powder along with as much flour from some place. 

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I typically don't do that when I go to the grocery store, but hey, each to their own, right?

Gotta break up the quarantine monotony 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The CDC is a bit vague about the 10 people rule, but I think they mean groups that are most likely people that are already frequently together.  10 people from 10 different households is an extremely bad idea.  Not to mention that my assumption would be that churchgoers can trend to be older and they absolutely don't need to be around anyone.

There is also a tendency to think of someone you know, or acquainted with, to be free of coronavirus.  It's always happening to someone else not the people you like or love.

It feels like unnecessary risk if most are already doing remote services 

5 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Hang on a minute. From the age of 18-21 presumably while you were in college, outside possibly fiduciary ends, were your parents getting ANY input on your spring break plans?

I was way to poor to go to Cabo, but not to poor for gas to Padre and sleeping in a tent.

You trying to say that you went alone?  That you were by yourself?   That South Austins mom wasn't with you?  I call bullshit.  lulz

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Or load up on one run to last for 4 weeks. We haven’t gone out for anything in 3 weeks and have 1-2 more weeks worth of stuff before we would have to start eating unusual combinations. Have had some non perishables delivered from amazon. 
theres no delivery or even curbside pickup here. 
wife has gotten creative. Just received 10 lb of butter powder along with as much flour from some place. 

You gonna live stream this version of Chopped in your kitchen? 

• Like 1

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, they even scan it even though I look old as fuck.

I've had booze delivered once before, and they scanned even with my old man gray beard. Was just hoping that with all this going on, they had loosened the rules.

91295020_2695209203934789_78647571911635

I was actually on Zoom today with a few of my students and I asked one guy to show his screen so I could figure out what he was doing wrong on his spreadsheet and he said, "Hold on, let me put on a shirt."  I blurted out, "You dummy, you're supposed to be going pantless, not shirtless on Zoom."

Edited by Beau Vine

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

91295020_2695209203934789_78647571911635

I was actually on Zoom today with a few of my students and I asked one guy to show his screen so I could figure out what he was doing wrong on his spreadsheet and he said, "Hold on, let me put on a shirt."  I blurted out, "You dummy, you're supposed to be going pantless, not shirtless on Zoom."

You haven’t had any random folks bomb your zoom lectures have you?

58 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Has anyone else gotten a Google popup when reading that article.  It claims you've won a prize etc etc.   I've seen it quite a bit lately when clicking on links.  Pretty sure it's malware but thought I'd ask anyway.

Phishing & malware attack patterns are morphing daily.  Beware the greebles.

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Just got my results back.  IgG positive. Meaning I had it.  Wife was negative too.  So that means I likely had it after being with NYC people 4 straight weekends starting in early Feb.  She was in Europe 3 weeks in MidFeb to early March.  It also means the theory you don't shed much virus if you're asymptomatic seems true.  I see a metric shitton of old people and they would have been dropping like flies in our facilities. 

Congrats, it sounds like you made it through without any problems. I wish I knew whether I was exposed.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Not to pick on you in particular, but why in the FUCK are people still going out in public for groceries, beer, etc? You can have anything you need delivered to your door for a small fee. 

Instacart is completely overwhelmed in our area.  Wife goes once or twice per week with mask and gloves, and discards once she leaves.

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Just got my results back.  IgG positive. Meaning I had it.  Wife was negative too.  So that means I likely had it after being with NYC people 4 straight weekends starting in early Feb.  She was in Europe 3 weeks in MidFeb to early March.  It also means the theory you don't shed much virus if you're asymptomatic seems true.  I see a metric shitton of old people and they would have been dropping like flies in our facilities. 

antibodies?

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

antibodies?

yes, he had an antibody based test. He is in Chicago and Abbott is in Chicago, so most likely he was one of the first to get the test.

Edited by Bevo

The weed delivery business are flooding my inbox with specials. I guess they fear they're going to be deemed non-essential here soon? Anyway, didn't "need" to buy a "mystery box of weed and goodies" but when its marked down from $250 to $99, I can hardly say no.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

you still gotta quarantine?  

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I have hair down to my shoulders, I don't give a fuck

I hear you bruh.  It's the bald fucks that shave their heads to be "stylish" yet claim they would shave regardless.

If I lose my hair to the point of having just 9 hairs left???  I'll braid the mother fuckers.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

The weed delivery business are flooding my inbox with specials. I guess they fear they're going to be deemed non-essential here soon? Anyway, didn't "need" to buy a "mystery box of weed and goodies" but when its marked down from $250 to $99, I can hardly say no.

What kinda of goodies were in this box?

4 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

you still gotta quarantine?  

No sir, actual PCR test for active infection was already negative.  I'm free to live.  This test is key to slowly getting us out of quarantine.  Huge proponent. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So how would one go about getting some of those goodies/gummies in Texas?  

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

No sir, actual PCR test for active infection was already negative.  I'm free to live.  This test is key to slowly getting us out of quarantine.  Huge proponent. 

Ha, the big question is if you are exposed again by a large enough viral load, can it overwhelm the immune system? Nah, just messing with you. I'm jealous in a way.

Edited by Bevo

8 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Who doesn't love a box of mystery buzz product !!??

16 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Instacart is completely overwhelmed in our area.  Wife goes once or twice per week with mask and gloves, and discards once she leaves.

I just get HEB to deliver. Plan ahead because the wait time is a week. If you need beer just use Favor.

20 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Congrats?

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh for sure, I'm walking around like I won the damn lotto.  

"Suck my dick, I have COVID antibodies."

Serious question, are they pretty confident you can't get it a second time?  I understand it doesn't seem to have mutated much, so that should mean you are in great shape.  Lucky bastard.  

2 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I just get HEB to deliver. Plan ahead because the wait time is a week. If you need beer just use Favor.

About 9 days ago, I used HEB delivery and was able to schedule a delivery for the following day with no problems. I guess things have deteriorated because I just put in another order and this time the earliest available delivery slot is 8 days out. I have a food order in with Amazon which was promised for delivery tomorrow, but still isn't showing as shipped yet. What's the going rate for shitty canned food on ebay?

Just now, Sbbruin said:

Serious question, are they pretty confident you can't get it a second time?  I understand it doesn't seem to have mutated much, so that should mean you are in great shape.  Lucky bastard.  

Yes, unless you're immunocompromised very small chance of getting it again.  Thanks, jokes aside, appreciate the well wishes.  Odd times we live in that this feels like a huge win. 

• Like 5

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away