Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

30 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Just got my results back.  IgG positive. Meaning I had it.  Wife was negative too.  So that means I likely had it after being with NYC people 4 straight weekends starting in early Feb.  She was in Europe 3 weeks in MidFeb to early March.  It also means the theory you don't shed much virus if you're asymptomatic seems true.  I see a metric shitton of old people and they would have been dropping like flies in our facilities. 

I can't recall -- did you have any symptoms at all that you can recall?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes, unless you're immunocompromised very small chance of getting it again.  Thanks, jokes aside, appreciate the well wishes.  Odd times we live in that this feels like a huge win. 

Any idea when those of us in the "wild" might be able to get the antibody test? I have a good feeling I've just gotten through a mild batch of this that took about 2 weeks to clear. Would *love* to know I'm in good shape moving forward.

Oh, and a real gem was buried in today's order from the Governor.  He has a LIMITED power to suspend some regulatory statues and regulations (that is, regulatory statutes, like licensing of nurses, that sort of thing).  So what did he do?  He purportedly suspended Government Code Section 418.108.

What does THAT statute do?  Well, it sure as hell ain't a regulatory statute.  It's the statute that grants counties and cities the authority to 1) declare local disasters and 2) restrict movement etc. (so, the basis of all of the recent "shelter in place" orders).

The governor then suspended Section 418.108 of the Texas Government Code (The Texas Disaster Act) and several other laws, some of which are unnamed, “to the extent necessary to ensure that local officials do not impose restrictions inconsistent with this executive order, provided that local officials may enforce this executive order as well as local restrictions that are consistent with this executive order.” Section 418.108 is the core authority for mayors to declare, and city councils to extend, local states of disaster, including movement of persons and occupation of premises.  This suspension would appear to mean that a city’s stay home/work home order is superseded by the order’s edict that “every person in Texas shall, except where necessary to provide or obtain essential services, minimize social gathering and minimize in-person contact with people who are not in the same household.” 

The governor has -- PURPORTEDLY -- in one fell swoop, voided every single local government "shelter at home" order.

He didn't.  He can't.  It is not within his power.  This is a foolish power grab to LESSEN our protections, not strengthen them.  His order is merely advisory when it comes to people - hey, minimize your gatherings and stuff.  But going to church is totally cool, for sure.

From a public health perspective, this order is dangerous as hell.

• Like 9

Not to pick on you in particular, but why in the FUCK are people still going out in public for groceries, beer, etc? You can have anything you need delivered to your door for a small fee. 

We haven’t been out in a few weeks but we struggle with the thought that “Dylan” the delivery dude who makes $10 an hour and plays video games with his buds when he gets home while taking a few hits on the community bong, and who coughs all over the groceries, is practicing appropriate hand washing and other healthy practices.

So instead, we know that if we stay as far away as possible from other people while picking up groceries, we might actually have a lower probability of catching something.
  • Like 8

No sir, actual PCR test for active infection was already negative.  I'm free to live.  This test is key to slowly getting us out of quarantine.  Huge proponent. 
Even though you (probably) can't get sick (for some unknown temp period), if you carry on as usual aren't you going to spread it from your hands/clothes to others who are susceptible like your wife?

Just saying it doesn't sound like a complete hall pass unless you want to strip down in your garage every night and bleach your shoes like a front line intensive care nurse.

Also, I assume that even antibody test ain't 100%. Is that pretty much for false negatives?

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes, unless you're immunocompromised very small chance of getting it again.  Thanks, jokes aside, appreciate the well wishes.  Odd times we live in that this feels like a huge win. 

Man, congrats on coming thru this thing on the other side.  Did you never feel sick enough you felt you couldn't work ?  

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Congratulations. But continue to practice with the assumption you can. 

Hopeful but small study - https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.13.990226v1.article-info

Reinfection could not occur in SARS-2 CoV-2 infected rhesus macaques

The main finding of the article: 
This study addresses the issue or acquired immunity after a primary COVID-19 infection in rhesus monkeys. Four Chinese rhesus macaques were intratracheally infected with SARS-CoV-2 and two out of the four were re-infected at 28 days post initial infection (dpi) with the same viral dose after confirming the recovery by the absence of clinical symptoms, radiological abnormalities and viral detection (2 negative RT-PCR tests). While the initial infection led the viral loads in nasal and pharyngeal swabs that reach approximately 6.5 log10 RNA copies/ml at 3 dpi in all four monkeys, viral loads in the swabs tested negative after reinfection in the two reinfected monkeys. In addition, the necropsies from a monkey (M1) at 7 days after primary infection, and another monkey (M3) at 5 days post reinfection, revealed the histopathological damages and viral replication in the examined tissues from M1, while no viral replication as well as no histological damages were detected in the tissues from M3. Furthermore, sera from three monkeys at 21 and 28 dpi exhibited neutralizing activity against SARS-CoV-2 in vitro, suggesting the production of protective neutralizing antibodies in these monkeys. Overall, this study indicates that primary infection with SARS-CoV-2 may protect from subsequent exposure to the same virus.
Critical analysis of the study: 
In human, virus has been detected by nasopharyngeal swabs until 9 to 15 days after the onset of symptoms. In the infected monkeys in this study, virus were detected from day 1 after the infection, declining to undetectable level by day 15 post infection. It may suggest that there is a faster viral clearance mechanism in monkeys, therefore the conclusions of reinfection protection for humans need to be carefully considered. In addition, only two monkeys were re-infected in this study and the clinical signs of these monkeys were not similar: M3 did not show weight loss and M4 showed relatively higher fever on the day of infection and the day of re-challenge.  
The importance and implications for the current epidemics:
This study showed clear viral clearance and no indications of relapse or viremia after a secondary infection with SARS-CoV-2 in a Chinese rhesus macaque model. These results support the idea that patients with full recovery (two negative RT-PCR results) may also be protected from secondary SARS-CoV-2 infection. Recovered patients may be able to reintegrate to normal public life and provide protective serum perhaps even if having had a mild infection. The results are also encouraging for successful vaccine development against SARS-CoV-2.

I don’t understand all of the arguing on this thread over the case and death predictions being too high or too low for various states, especially Texas.

This is an incredibly contagious virus that’s just now making its way from state to state and community to community. Texas doesn’t look bad because it wasn’t spread here as early as elsewhere. It’s too difficult to tell right now whether a particular state or city is doing a better job or not because: a) the timing of the spread of the virus is a far more dominant factor, and b) just looking at the behavior of people on communities everywhere, it doesn’t seem like anyone is doing a very good job of distancing until the community is already in the shit.

Tldr- no one knows shit.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Very interesting development from Italy. I’ve wondered this as well. So that’s ~1500 deaths

Well, here's her most recent tweet, so excuse me if I question her Italian-to-English translation of that quote:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Very interesting development from Italy. I’ve wondered this as well. So that’s ~1500 deaths

Very interesting.  The virus didn't kill them, but maybe the virus compromised already deteriorated immune systems in some unrelated health issue ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

We haven’t been out in a few weeks but we struggle with the thought that “Dylan” the delivery dude who makes $10 an hour and plays video games with his buds when he gets home while taking a few hits on the community bong, and who coughs all over the groceries, is practicing appropriate hand washing and other healthy practices.

So instead, we know that if we stay as far away as possible from other people while picking up groceries, we might actually have a lower probability of catching something.

Bong? Ok grandpa. Dylan vapes. What year do you think this is? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

About 9 days ago, I used HEB delivery and was able to schedule a delivery for the following day with no problems. I guess things have deteriorated because I just put in another order and this time the earliest available delivery slot is 8 days out. I have a food order in with Amazon which was promised for delivery tomorrow, but still isn't showing as shipped yet. What's the going rate for shitty canned food on ebay?

I've found placing Amazon Fresh orders about 3 am usually gets you a delivery window within 48 hours. Can't buy one during normal hours, but they seem to open up in the middle of the night, much like South Austin's mom.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Any idea when those of us in the "wild" might be able to get the antibody test? I have a good feeling I've just gotten through a mild batch of this that took about 2 weeks to clear. Would *love* to know I'm in good shape moving forward.

Man I’m emailing my contacts at all the big dog hospitals begging them to order.  I hope that we have widespread AB testing by May.  Economy needs it as much as anything else.  

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Even though you (probably) can't get sick (for some unknown temp period), if you carry on as usual aren't you going to spread it from your hands/clothes to others who are susceptible like your wife?

Just saying it doesn't sound like a complete hall pass unless you want to strip down in your garage every night and bleach your shoes like a front line intensive care nurse.

Also, I assume that even antibody test ain't 100%. Is that pretty much for false negatives?

Oh it’s not 100% and my wife makes sure I clean up as soon as I get home.  I’m not gonna go full Gobert out there.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PhillyD said:

Since you have the antibodies, does that mean you can use less PPE?  Will that save you a ton of time?  

Actually no sadly because the virus could get on me and still pass from that surface to next patient.  
But theoretically,  I don’t need as much precaution on nonisolation patients.  

I’ll continue to practice no touch and 6 feet away unless I have to touch the patient.   Safest that way.  False positives etc.  

• Like 2

It’s only political if you make it. Which you did because you told me to look at her recent tweet.

No, you dumb motherfucker, if you post a tweet from someone who tweets absolutely zero that's not political because that's their job, you have posted a political tweet.  

Are Nancy Pelosi tweets or Bernie Sanders tweets only political if someone makes them political?

Does the source for that quote -- "-Professor Ricciardi, scientific advisor to Italy Health Minister" -- not fire up a red flag for you?    Come on, you're usually smarter than this.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Did she get tested?

Negative.  She was in Europe 3 weeks starting midFeb.  So it makes sense.  But we were not doing no touch physical exams etc MidFeb so I was not very contagious at all.  

I often work with patients rehabbing on trachs etc.  Fresh out of ICU.  Sickest of the sick.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

There’s nothing fucking political about it. Name calling. You’re cool

I thought that was the real issue with  coronavirus, is that it's not particularly deadly to many, but that it is deadly to those already with existing health issues, and the contagion rate overwhelms systems so that the existing health issues aren't treated, and become life and death issues.

How is that political ?  And I'd imagine in Italy right now the post Morten isn't the highest priority right now. 

• Like 1

I thought that was the real issue with  coronavirus, is that it's not particularly deadly to many, but that it is deadly to those already with existing health issues, and the contagion rate overwhelms systems so that the existing health issues aren't treated, and become life and death issues.
How is that political ?  And I'd imagine in Italy right now the post Morten isn't the highest priority right now. 

It isn’t. Don’t tell Beau that tho.

Unlike you, I don’t care if she’s a political hack or not. Don’t get so offended when her tweet has NOTHING to do with politics.

It would literally be the first tweet she has ever made that had nothing to do with politics.  Why are you being so gotdam dense?

27 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Very mild cough.  Zero fevers.  No bodyaches. Didn’t miss any work/workouts etc. Really felt like the mildest of colds.    

Sorry, I missed the when on this. 2 weeks ago?  February?

edit - Nvm. Went farther back and found early feb

Edited by UT_OB1

9 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I really hope there isn't a black market for these tests. If there were unscrupulous people could offer people they knew in the medical field to send them one so that they could confirm if they've had it. Im glad I not good friends with anyone like that.

However, I do know a guy that would willing pay good money for one though. He's pretty shifty.  

What do you think he would end up spending?

Haha, the issue right now is there’s not even a code to bill the damn things.  They need to change that fast to motivate labs to do them.  

But they say cash is king, so?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away