Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Why can’t she be the one I get for my prostrate exam?

I had invasive surgery a few years ago and woke up with a catheter. A couple of days later this sexy Asian nurse tells me it’s coming out. Then she goes off shift and some dude comes in, fondles my junk and removes it. And it’s been twenty years since a girl other than my wife has touched my junk. Gave me the sads.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Big city hospitals (even in Texas) are now pulling in their non-ICU nurses to join ICUs right now. And that isn’t what I heard of Facebook or from a friend of a friend but first hand knowledge.  That doesn’t mean that nurses aren’t available or willing to chase a large payday. I can’t blame them especially if they were recently furloughed. 

I have a close friend who works in a highly respected hospital near me in the NICU, and she says that last week all the care staff had to fill out a questionnaire that included medical conditions (to determine if they would be considered immune compromised, and what their experience was in departments other than where they were currently working), it was voluntary to complete but they are looking to how the hospital can best flex staffing to best handle the looming crush of COVID patients, while still caring for the general population.

sidenote - people need to stop comparing this to the flu; has anyone ever seen the flu cause the hospital system to be stressed to this level?

1 minute ago, Wally Fairway said:

I have a close friend who works in a highly respected hospital near me in the NICU, and she says that last week all the care staff had to fill out a questionnaire that included medical conditions (to determine if they would be considered immune compromised, and what their experience was in departments other than where they were currently working), it was voluntary to complete but they are looking to how the hospital can best flex staffing to best handle the looming crush of COVID patients, while still caring for the general population.

sidenote - people need to stop comparing this to the flu; has anyone ever seen the flu cause the hospital system to be stressed to this level?

Yes, 1918...... HA, SO THERE !!!!!  

(disclaimer, didn't actually see it, just read about it)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Waking up to see that we had ~900 deaths yesterday. Very negative turn. Some here predicted that we would have 50K for a total by April 30th or even 15th.  I hope we won’t see that by the 15th but we will hit that definitely by the 30th unless we can scale some treatment.

We'll hit that # before the 15th.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I read this article the other day and also watched Dr. David Price's video.  

https://medium.com/@paulanderson_73765/nyc-lung-doctor-tells-his-family-how-to-protect-themselves-from-covid-19-fb0b117b3472

@ChiTownDoc, thoughts?

Penelope, sorry (obviously) not ChiTownDoc, but wanted to specifically mention this--I think it was Good Morning America that had a doctor on this morning and part of their summary was spread is primarily via person-to-person airborne/aerosol contact. I thought that was interesting because Dr. Price's information is definitely being shared a lot on the internet right now. Sorry, not much to add other than there doesn't seem to be much consensus/consistent messaging out right now.

Edited by smoothlonghorn
Edit: P.S. I was hoping Dr. Price's information was most accurate/correct
  • Like 2

Home Depot updates (USA Today):

Home Depot said it has halted all sales of N95 masks at its stores and website and "redirected" them to be donated to hospitals, health care workers and first responders treating patients during the coronavirus pandemic.

The company said Wednesday that it had issued the "stop-sale" order to all its stores and website for N95 masks, a tight-fitting respirator that offers more protection than standard facemasks.

The move came as retailers have come under scrutiny for continuing to sell the respirators amid a shortage for health care professionals during COVID-19.

Target last week apologized on Twitter for selling N95 masks in some Seattle stores.

Mike Roman, CEO and chairman of N95 respirator maker 3M, last week criticized retailers that were still selling the masks.

“It’s disappointing when you see that because we’re trying to redirect everything to health-care workers,” Roman said on CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street.”

It was not immediately clear when Home Depot issued the stop-sale order. Home Depot representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Home Depot said Wednesday in a statement that it is also "donating millions of dollars in personal protective equipment (PPE) and other products and prioritizing fulfillment to hospitals, healthcare providers and first responders."

Also Wednesday, Home Depot announced it would:

• Close stores at 6 p.m. "to allow more time for sanitization and restocking."

• Limit the number of customers allowed into its stores.

• Abandon "major spring promotions to avoid driving high levels of traffic to stores."

• Pare back services and installations "to those that are essential for maintenance and repair needs in impacted markets."

• Ask employees to check their temperatures with a company-provided thermometer before coming to work.

Home Depot added: "We’ve been marshalling the resources of our merchandising and supply chain teams to globally source quality products and expedite the availability of needed items."

1 minute ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Home Depot said it has halted all sales of N95 masks at its stores and website and "redirected" them to be donated to hospitals, health care workers and first responders treating patients during the coronavirus pandemic.

It's about fucking time.

15 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Listening to Golic and Wingo they keep referencing China as the model NBA should follow. Like why would you believe the Chinese at all.

You understand ESPN has an agenda, right?

G&W are workin the fuck out of it, as they are paid to do.

Why are you listening to sports talk with no sports products for 2-3 weeks now...  you get what you deserve.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Apparently Janelle likes outdoor activities including hiking and kayaking. She also loves American. This is the hero we both need and want.

10372573_10152575988343748_3785335759255152408_n.thumb.jpg.e1902be560b499a45feaedfe9755af07.jpg11667336_10153465157978748_6446845347197889270_n.thumb.jpg.0e6a1cc5d57d44579da8a5a86e24d8bd.jpg

This greeted me on my daily check in on doom and gloom, so signs are pointing to good things today.

Listening to Golic and Wingo they keep referencing China as the model NBA should follow.

If the United States decides to follow the China model, then all of our infection/death rates will miraculously, unrealistically drop to near zero, and nobody with half a brain will believe a word the government is saying about the disaster. Meanwhile the bodies would be piling up and all of the residents of the hardest hit locations would be wondering why and how there seem to something like 50 times the number of dead that's been stated officially.

I would recommend NOT following the China model.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ouflak said:

If the United States decides to follow the China model, then all of our infection/death rates will miraculously, unrealistically drop to near zero, and nobody with half a brain will believe a word the government is saying about the disaster. Meanwhile the bodies would be piling up and all of the residents of the hardest hit locations would be wondering why and how there seem to something like 50 times the number of dead that's been stated officially.

I would recommend NOT following the China model.

We'd also need to manufacture and deliver hundreds of thousands of units of shoddy, faulty medical equipment, to the rest of the world.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, dcar00 said:

CFR of confirmed cases 1%.  not close to 1% of  estimated cases.

Is that your assertion?  Because my post was discussing the podcast and that was not the experts opinion.  Personally, I don't think anyone really knows definitively at this point.  They discussed the denominator issue in detail (including the recent paper estimating .66 based on estimating cases in China) and he still concluded > than 1%.   He also thinks a big numerator issue in China which is more sensitive than the denominator (i.e., thinks 6-8 people daily were dying daily at home in China that were never counted).  He thinks one big issue in the US compared to other places is because we have nursing homes (these don't really exist in a lot of countries, older generations live with younger) so easier spread among the most vulnerable population which will raise overall CFR). 

58 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Thankfully, it finally seems like only the true morons are still clinging onto this talking point. Everyone else realized their ignorance.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Fucking death number jogged back to the 3 day doubling line instead of continuing a turn to flatten. Not a lot to be optimistic about there. 

I figure that's going to continue for a while since there's that lag between new cases and then later deaths. As the rate went up exponentially over the past week, so will deaths over the next. Of course, case count isn't perfect, I figure those that are sick enough to be in danger of dying are at least getting counted so watching that curve flatten is really the best hope.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Thankfully, it finally seems like only the true morons are still clinging onto this talking point. Everyone else realized their ignorance.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of true morons in the world. And I'm not sure about that latter point either. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

No politics dude!  Everybody knows the flu death totals double every 72 hours.  Duh! 

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Friendly reminder that the world isn’t at that number yet from the reported deaths and that even the estimates from Wuhuan based on the urns is less than that number. 

curlyfromcityslickers/ "Day ain't over yet..." /jackpalance

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I figure that's going to continue for a while since there's that lag between new cases and then later deaths. As the rate went up exponentially over the past week, so will deaths over the next. Of course, case count isn't perfect, I figure those that are sick enough to be in danger of dying are at least getting counted so watching that curve flatten is really the best hope.

If we use the idea that Italy is making progress as a guidepost, then we can't look at any one day and know anything.  Italy's numbers shot up on a few isolated days over the last week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

He thinks one big issue in the US compared to other places is because we have nursing homes (these don't really exist in a lot of countries, older generations live with younger) so easier spread among the most vulnerable population

Damn, this already gives me the sads. Dreading when this inevitable starts ripping through nursing homes full of parents and grandparents that haven't had visitors in over a month and are now going to die alone.

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I read this article the other day and also watched Dr. David Price's video.  

https://medium.com/@paulanderson_73765/nyc-lung-doctor-tells-his-family-how-to-protect-themselves-from-covid-19-fb0b117b3472

@ChiTownDoc, thoughts?

Given the primary asserted route being droplet touched by hand/hand to face, the statement about people unconsciously touching their face on average 20 times per hour really stands out.  It’s about wearing a mask as a barrier to your own hands.  In that case, no need for a standard surgical grade mask.  We would just need the human equivalent of a dog cone for our hands. And hand washing. A single use between washes clean bandana/scarf would go a long way.  Anything washable would help conserve.

Spreading by sustained contact mostly among people who are together for 30 minutes or longer is probably also mostly  by hand to face as well. When you are at home for instance you don’t wear a mask and are more likely to touch your face. It’s also a lot harder to keep every surface clean in your home compared to avoiding a door handle or elevator button.  Quadruple that if there are kids in the house.  Outside of home any place you spend 30 minutes or more with other people you’re likely to touch shared surfaces between cleaning with the likelihood of touching your face.

Edited by triplehorn

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

We need a mattress scale to finalize the numbers.

Damn straight.  Speaking of mattresses and jokes aside, what the fuck is it with mattress stores being open during this lockdown?  I get the justification for many of the stores still open, even auto repairs and dry cleaning and hardware stores.  But what the fuck with Mattress Firm?  Come on down and lay where somebody else just was, put your face where they just had their face, and get 0% financing.  Nevermind the product isn't essential right now, it's a massive hygiene risk.  Plus they say Covid-19 adds a whole microgram to the weight of a mattress anyway.  

4 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Friendly reminder that the world isn’t at that number yet from the reported deaths and that even the estimates from Wuhuan based on the urns is less than that number. 

The wet markets in Wuhuan are less moist than those in Wuhan, accounting for Wuhuan's lower urn-based estimates.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

If we use the idea that Italy is making progress as a guidepost, then we can't look at any one day and know anything.  Italy's numbers shot up on a few isolated days over the last week.

Undoubtedly there's going to be day-to-day variation (jagged line) but we'll still be able to see overall trends.

Just now, smuggs said:

The wet markets in Wuhuan are less moist than those in Wuhan, accounting for Wuhuan's lower urn-based estimates.

The joys of typing quickly on an iPhone. 

My point is that we’ll reach that number, but that number of deaths is still relatively large compared to the havoc we’ve already seen from the virus. It’s highly unlikely we’d get there in 10 days as that would require, on average, more deaths per day than what we currently have total. 

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Damn, this already gives me the sads. Dreading when this inevitable starts ripping through nursing homes full of parents and grandparents that haven't had visitors in over a month and are now going to die alone.

There is an assisted living facility at the end of my street and there is at least one case there.  I hope that it doesn't run rampant in there, but I'd imagine that it will.

20 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So we do have any realistic expectation yet for when antibody testing will be available to the masses? Like others on this thread, I'm of the mind that the sooner that happens, the sooner we can go back to whatever the new version of normal is. I'm not seeing many references to an official plan around it at any level of government. Hope I missed something.

Yes it's pretty fucked up that we all understand the need for antibody testing yet very little is being said about a plan for it.  It is happening though.   Mother had pneumonia in early February with a cough that lasted for weeks and still lingers a little.  She saw her doc then and they treated with meds.

fast forward to 3/12 and her doc called her back in because they wanted to check something out.  I thought it would be the test but it was not.  Then 13 days later on 3/25 her docs office called and told her to isolate immediately because she was exposed fact to face during her 3/12 visit.  

She had a video chat with the doc, he started showing symptoms 3 days after their visit and tested positive.  Speculated he may have got it from her and asked her to come get tested.  I thought that was a bad idea to go in and get potentially exposed for the test since she was at 2 weeks with no new symptoms.  She went, yesterday and instead of nasal stab they took blood to test for antibody. Should know results today.  

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away