Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Just look at the trend line of infections in basically every country besides China and you see similar exponential growth.

In addition to being the origin of the virus, they silenced the first whistle blowers who try to alert the world, then lied about the progression of infections throughout their own population all while allowing them to continue traveling internationally. They deserve a huge amount of blame for everything unfolding around the world the right now.

what difference, at this point, does it make!

12 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Why are people still posting things like this, as if we didn't already know China is completely full of shit?

I mean fuck, here's an article from Feb 15th that lays it out pretty fucking perfectly that NOBODY listened to:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/15/coronavirus-xi-jinping-chinas-incompetence-endangered-the-world/

But that's awesome that the white house received this report just last week. 

Edited by Pam Cummings

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

I don't get it.  I mean I do, but I don't.  

Because it's not motivated by faith, it's motivated by arrogance.  Their particular brand of "christianity" is just that -- self-absorbed, caught up in self-glorification and power.  It has literally zero to do with the humility and selflessness of Christ.  This is about flexing power, and declaring that they are the supreme power -- more powerful than the law, the government, the people, everything.  They have created a shell of power like that of God, and then declared that they and they alone get to occupy it.

They may be overasking.  The SCOTUS might actually be interested in limiting Smith (the case limiting constitutional religious freedom claims), but these arrogant jackasses may actually be teeing up a question that will get SCOTUS to reaffirm Smith.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Wife and I watched podcast of our old church in The Woodlands the past 2 weeks. Message was great.  praise and worship was great. We still tithe.

Yeah we miss some of the fellowship, but the safety and wellbeing of the congregation is worth protecting, if nothing else.

Sad that folks think they have to meet in THAT building... to be a church.

This is what we are doing at my church.  I played this past weekend.  Just band, pastor and skeleton tech teams for Facebook live.  Still had a couple of old folks show up anyway.  

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

This post is more absurd than usual. The worldometers data shows up throughout the day as a feed, but many states report what they report for a given day and it is done. That's happened for a bunch of them as of now. 

You trust your curves and math, sir. We get it. Don't move the goalposts yet. 

Also, you never answered. Are you sticking with your 50,000 declaration for April 15? Or are you quickly going to hang with the ratchet down of 25,000?

I don't "trust" the math beyond the fact that I "trust" its basic predictive ability in the short term is as good as any conjecture you can offer up to the contrary.  You believe efforts to date will manifest in literally days, and I say I don't see any evidence of that, and to assume such a thing will happen is optimistic at best.

My number is 50,000 American deaths by April 15th.  I hope to fucking God you are are right and that I am WAY wrong.  I will happily tip my cap to you if you are right.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Wife and I watched podcast of our old church in The Woodlands the past 2 weeks. Message was great.  praise and worship was great. We still tithe.

Yeah we miss some of the fellowship, but the safety and wellbeing of the congregation is worth protecting, if nothing else.

Sad that folks think they have to meet in THAT building... to be a church.

stupidity.  i've missed church on the reg for 30 years and according, to the man, I'm still going to get to say hi to St. Peter.  he might drop the trapdoor on me but it won't be because I didn't go to an actual church for 30 years.

More on the stupid damned churches demanding the right to hold mass infection events.  A good quote from the LA Times (quoting James Martin, SJ, a sharp dude) that's dead-on:
“I’m stunned by church leaders who reject the most basic advice from public health officials during a pandemic,” he said in an interview. “It’s just plain old stupidity, of the type that puts people’s lives in danger. As such, it’s anti-life. The next time any of these groups calls themselves pro-life, we need to remind ourselves about these death-dealing decisions.”

You can't guilt people to open their wallets with venmo. The plate works so much better.

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I find this confusing.  I'd assumed schools are funded "per year" and not on a weekly or monthly basis?  Is that not true?

It’s complicated because there are 3 classes of districts based on their property wealth per student and they are all on different schedules. Class 1 gets 10 payments a year from what I understand. Not really my realm though. 

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Holy shit, self-awareness is clearly not your strong suit.

What exactly is it that makes you presume you have a "right" to discuss this with some higher knowledge than me?  Careful, now.

First, I'm incredibly self-aware. I actually know I don't much, and I say as much all of the time. You, as always, react to difference in opinion as an affront to your psyche and well-being. 

I don't have any greater right to discuss than anyone else here. I'm not the one telling other people to shut the fuck up because they've got the real handle on the big boy math. 

In regard to your "careful, now" silliness:

a) this isn't a movie scene where you're about to beat me on the draw and trap me on the stand, Perry Mason

b) this isn't the safe space you're used to hiding within

c) you were the dipshit articulating some patrician or academically pedigreed right to discuss this above the fray of anyone else having an opinion on this thread

Edited by closetojumping
should have proofread
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Here he comes to save the day.

You and CTJ should start a thread and battle it out, Thunderdome style.

Two men enter, one man leaves!

I'll put $200 down on Greenspoint winning by eating CTJ's face. Dude is fully rabid by now.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
19 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I find this confusing.  I'd assumed schools are funded "per year" and not on a weekly or monthly basis?  Is that not true?

TEA assured funding for this academic year, so yeah I don't get it.

Either the district or TEA are BSing right now. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The ranch retreat has become a family war. My wife's mother and father, both in their 80's stocked it up a few weeks ago but they are safely sheltering in place at home in San Antonio. Typhoon Mary, who has done zero prep (no TP, supplies, food, etc.) and next to zero social distancing just took her family to the ranch without giving two fucks about anybody else. So the actual people who own and pay for that place can't even go because they don't want to get anywhere near her unhygienic ass. And that gravy trainer is running through their supplies. You think I'd like to take my wife, kids and dog out there to go run around and fish and get out dodge? Sure, but we aren't selfish cunts.

Yep, the old saying is true...you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, you can even pick your ass if so inclined, but you can't pick your family.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Because it's not motivated by faith, it's motivated by arrogance.  Their particular brand of "christianity" is just that -- self-absorbed, caught up in self-glorification and power.  It has literally zero to do with the humility and selflessness of Christ.  This is about flexing power, and declaring that they are the supreme power -- more powerful than the law, the government, the people, everything.  They have created a shell of power like that of God, and then declared that they and they alone get to occupy it.

They may be overasking.  The SCOTUS might actually be interested in limiting Smith (the case limiting constitutional religious freedom claims), but these arrogant jackasses may actually be teeing up a question that will get SCOTUS to reaffirm Smith.

If they wouldn't transmit to the broader population, I wouldn't care and call it karma / Darwinism....

2 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

You can't guilt people to open their wallets with venmo. The plate works so much better.

My plan: allow the services.  Then chain the doors shut and require all attendees to quarantine inside for 14 days.  Fine, I'll allow you your religious services.  But I do not have to allow you -- after those services are completed - to go into the community and infect people.

Want to go to Church with 500 people? Bring snacks and changes of clothes, you're gonna be there for two weeks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, F250 said:

Two men enter, one man leaves!

I'll put $200 down on Greenspoint winning by eating CTJ's face. Dude is fully rabid by now.

how the hell is he going to eat his face with his contagion hazmat suit on?  I'm with CTJ because he'll jsut cut the suit and Greenspoint will disintegrate like the Wicked Witch of the West.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

First, I'm incredibly self-aware. I actually know I don't much, and I say as much all of the time. You, as always, react to difference in opinion as an affront to your psyche and well-being. 

This statement right there is ample evidence that you are farther from self-aware than I am from 6' 6" tall.

I don't have any greater right to discuss than anyone else here. I'm not the one telling other people to shut the fuck up because they've got the real handle on the big boy math. 

When exactly did I tell someone to shut up because I've "got the real handle on the big boy math"?  Did I do that, or did your fragile psyche imagine I did that?

By the way, it ain't "big boy math".  Anyone who thinks it is should just sit down and shut up.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Just look at the trend line of infections in basically every country besides China and you see similar exponential growth.

In addition to being the origin of the virus, they silenced the first whistle blowers who try to alert the world, then lied about the progression of infections throughout their own population all while allowing them to continue traveling internationally. They deserve a huge amount of blame for everything unfolding around the world the right now.

And now, they will profit off of the rest of the world's destruction that they caused by manufacturing and selling medical supplies.  Isn't that wonderful?

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

how the hell is he going to eat his face with his contagion hazmat suit on?  I'm with CTJ because he'll jsut cut the suit and Greenspoint will disintegrate like the Wicked Witch of the West.

spacer.png

56 minutes ago, Texaus said:

Hard to keep up with this thread. Was there ever any consensus reached on whether to continue the angiotensin blood pressure meds?

My PCP asked if mine was under more control since starting Lisinopril (~125/85 on 10mg starting dose down from 150/90) and I said yes. He told me to stay on it.  In addition I’ve read more literature that says to keep taking them as the link is not clear and they’re not really sure if ACE2 is clearly increased due to ACEi’s.  So I’m following my doc and not unproven articles so far.  

https://www.tctmd.com/news/ace-inhibitors-arbs-and-covid-19-new-insights-advice

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

And now, they will profit off of the rest of the world's destruction that they caused by manufacturing and selling medical supplies.  Isn't that wonderful?

Except they couldn’t hide the fact that they were sending fake medical supplies. They probably have over 1 million active infections domestically. No way they have the capacity to sell internationally right now.

Long term, lots of countries are going to move the critical elements of their supply chain (medical, tech, energy) out of China. They’re going to suffer massively as a result of this.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Siemens....is located in Cumming?

My inner 12 year old is laughing like both Beavis AND Butthead.

Because I'm super mature.

Even better, there is a large Toyota dealership there that buys a lot of ad time on the TV.  It is owned by a family named Beaver.  That's right, the Cumming Beavers.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Man, Oregon looking pretty good!  

I'm just not real sure what in that site is reliable. It's interesting, but it's also ignoring important shit. Hell, it's ignoring Washington's data and continuing to project a peak in the future. 

46 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Not great as we are right on target for that. We really need to see a dip in the death curve this week. The rest of your post is unintelligible ranting. 

So, yes, you're holding steady on the 10,000 dead per day by April 10th. Good to hear. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

For people blessed by the Lord, it's such a narrow view of what church is (those that MUST meet indoors as a congregation). A flock was made to spread its wings.

If they don't do the Livestream, then errybody drive to the church parking lot into the requisite six foot away spots and have an open air revival with the minister. He can broadcast on one of those radio stations you tune your car to or use a bullhorn. A drone will swing by with a basket for the offering. No one is to leave the car, if you need to use the facilities then you'll need to return home. Everybody wave before the call to worship and after the last hymn. Just like life, this is temporary.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pacman said:

I'm very self-aware, the most self-aware person on Earth.

In fact, everybody always asks me how I am so self-aware. I am wonderfully self-aware.

Sounds like someone but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Hey, this thread has been pretty solid don't come in here with this BS, you can fuck right off back to the CR.

• Like 3

Yes, the unoriginal mockery for saying as much was a predictable given. What wasn't expected, but should have been, was that you fucking guys can't help but bring the politics into it. You're so clever with it, too. Cloak room trolls. 

How self aware of you to know he was mocking you. You’re the most self awarest person ever!
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

For people blessed by the Lord, it's such a narrow view of what church is (those that MUST meet indoors as a congregation). A flock was made to spread its wings.

If they don't do the Livestream, then errybody drive to the church parking lot into the requisite six foot away spots and have an open air revival with the minister. He can broadcast on one of those radio stations you tune your car to or use a bullhorn. A drone will swing by with a basket for the offering. No one is to leave the car, if you need to use the facilities then you'll need to return home. Everybody wave before the call to worship and after the last hymn. Just like life, this is temporary.

Except it's not about any of that.

It's simply about the fact that YOU (society, the common good) can't tell ME (the god of me, and my ego, that I have created and worship literally above all else) what to do or not to do.

That's it.  Full stop.  It's literally the OPPOSITE of Christian theology in play here.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away