Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Smallpox blankets? https://nypost.com/2020/04/01/coronavirus-russia-sends-military-plane-with-medical-gear-to-us/

A Russian military transport plane loaded with medical equipment took off early Wednesday from an airfield outside Moscow and headed for the US, following a conversation between President Trump and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, according to a report.

Putin offered supplies to help fight the coronavirus pandemic during a phone call with Trump on Monday, which focused on how to respond to the outbreak, Reuters reported.

“Trump gratefully accepted this humanitarian aid,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Tuesday, Reuters reported, citing the Interfax news agency.

The Russian Embassy said on its Twitter account that Moscow sent the aid as Trump predicted the death toll in the US could be between 100,000 and 240,000 and amid hopes that the Trump administration would return the favor if the outbreak becomes severe in Russia.

“Importantly, when offering assistance to the American colleagues, President Putin is guided by the following consideration: when manufacturers of medical equipment gain momentum they will be able to reciprocate if need be,” the tweet said.

Enlarge Image

Boxes with medical equipment and masks to help fight coronavirus are seen aboard a Russian military transport plane ahead of its departure for the US.Reuters

Trump on Monday said he had talked to Putin and suggested Russia would be sending aid.

“I have to say, we’ve had great relationships with a lot of countries,” Trump said. “China sent us some stuff, which was terrific. Russia sent us a very, very large planeload of things, medical equipment, which was very nice.”

Russia reported more than 2,000 cases of the virus, but many health experts have questioned the accuracy of the data.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

You guys stop with this Godzilla talk, you’ll bring out the nerdy side of me. I’ve seen all 34 movies and own about 20. Last fall I spent $170 on the entire Showa series blu ray/DVD box set from Criterion Collection. Yes it was worth it.

Brah, no one here needed to know that.  Save the death bed confessions for your priest, rabbi or favorite hooker.

disclaimer:  Still cool though

44 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

You and Greenspoint are pretty much the only ones giving oxygen to his always contrarian flame. He doesn't care about the argument he only cares about rustling jimmies(no pun intended). Put him on ignore and move on with life.

I'm pretty sure I haven't posted on this thread in . . . days? . . . ever?  I don't know.  I put up a simple extrapolation and got jumped for it.  The "CR" bullshit is just that -- bullshit.  Come to the CR and I'll engage full throttle, but I did nothing of the sort here, for good reason.  <thread title>

31 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

They are testing more, and that partially explains the comparatively large number of cases.  But those two states account for more than half the deaths in the country.  CA has 184.  NY/NJ has 2300.

Its just a lot worse there than anywhere else and not because they are testing more.

I agree.  I think the most reasonable assumption we can make is that it was in NY/NJ sooner than most places and those locations experienced significant growth before measures were put in place.   But just look at the Dallas Hospitalization, ICU and Ventilation increases over the past week (per numbers I posted yesterday). The current trajectory doesn't look good here but those numbers are also already baked in before measures hit since hospitalization trails initial infection on average by 2+ weeks.  I think those numbers as updated over the next 2 weeks will tell us a lot about whether the measures are working.  

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I agree.  I think the most reasonable assumption we can make is that it was in NY/NJ sooner than most places and those locations experienced significant growth before measures were put in place.   But just look at the Dallas Hospitalization, ICU and Ventilation increases over the past week (per numbers I posted yesterday). The current trajectory doesn't look good here but those numbers are also already baked in before measures hit since hospitalization trails initial infection on average by 2+ weeks.  I think those numbers as updated over the next 2 weeks will tell us a lot about whether the measures are working.  

the elderly and underlying conditions population density data after this is going to be interesting.

you've got to lock down the olds fast.  I realize they aren't ALL the deaths but they are much more likely to get hospitalized.

They are testing more, and that partially explains the comparatively large number of cases.  But those two states account for more than half the deaths in the country.  CA has 184.  NY/NJ has 2300.
Its just a lot worse there than anywhere else and not because they are testing more.
I also think the testing is not that widespread. If you are mild, you most likely are not getting a test.

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The "CR" bullshit is just that -- bullshit.  

the anti-cr/cr troll posts outnumber any cr-like posts by a factor of 5, easily.

but, it is a shtick for ctj, his routine..something he also does routinely on the recruiting board (superior to the football board)

recruiting has little to no content right now, so he has brought his toxic behavior here..

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Testing out the site to donate plasma.  Already have the direct line through some major academic hospital but this is the site for anyone positive who wants to donate plasma.  Let's see if it actually works.  If you all know others who were positive, definitely share.  Herd immunity and plasma therapy are going to be huge.  Also need antibody testing much more widespread obviously. 

https://qz.com/1828563/how-to-help-others-if-youve-recovered-from-covid-19/

I know Houston Methodist is looking for donors for their plasma treatments tests

• Like 1

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/coast-guard-cruise-ships-stay-sea-sick-onboard-69915070

Most have only crew aboard, but Carnival Corp., which owns nine cruise lines with a total of 105 ships, notified the SEC Tuesday that it has more than 6,000 passengers still at sea.

I don't understand how anyone continued to 'go ahead' with their cruise ship vacation.  At all.  

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

Of course you would be since you are the master here art working in details that have nothing to do with the conversation. Oh, and I’m from Alamo Heights. Is that how this works?

Hey, you doin' okay sport?  Need anything?  Your bravery is an inspiration.  

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You know, we haven't really addressed how difficult all this has been on my favorite hooker. Not to mention, because I'm social distancing it's hard on me too.

We're both suffering. Seems like nobody cares about that fact.

You know the rules, pics submitted then we discuss.....

9 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/coast-guard-cruise-ships-stay-sea-sick-onboard-69915070

I don't understand how anyone continued to get on with their cruise ship vacation.  At all.  

The odds of you getting stuck at sea and being ship non-grata at any port seems to be 50/50 at least.  Maybe worse now.

11 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I don't understand how anyone continued to 'go ahead' with their cruise ship vacation.  At all.  

My parents are big fans of cruises.  A few months ago I was at their house and picked up one of the catalogs from a cruise company.  There were a lot of 2-3 month cruises available.  So, they could have left in early January and are just now finishing their voyage.

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My parents are big fans of cruises.  A few months ago I was at their house and picked up one of the catalogs from a cruise company.  There were a lot of 2-3 month cruises available.  So, they could have left in early January and are just now finishing their voyage.

Gotcha.   That would make more sense.

12 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The odds of you getting stuck at sea and being ship non-grata at any port seems to be 50/50 at least.  Maybe worse now.

I've thought a bit about this.  I think you have a boat, right?  And back in Austin I knew a few folks who had a whole goal of retiring and cruising the ocean in their sailboats.  Right now that kind of sounds great if it was just you and your family/friends isolating on a long trip at sea.  I guess at some point though, when having to go to port for supplies that whole theory probably crashes.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

I've been to Guayaquil in June and needed assless chaps.

Pretty much the low 90's this March

ttps://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/b65c724ce925568855569ccd26a6e4dda4cac34c1ba58148fc20b7bb8fa815d3

Edited by DanTheHorn

1 minute ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I've thought a bit about this.  I think you have a boat, right?  And back in Austin I knew a few folks who had a whole goal of retiring and cruising the ocean in their sailboats.  Right now that kind of sounds great if it was just you and your family/friends isolating on a long trip at sea.  I guess at some point though, when having to go to port for supplies that whole theory probably crashes.

Better make sure you test negative before heading off to see Davey jones.

16 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Anybody that got on a cruise after 3/1 is completely fucking stupid.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Does 5.1 round up to six?

You should know by now being on this thread that it is about appearances and feelings not actual numbers.

If you feel like 6 then you are 6 on a good day you can feel like 7

42 minutes ago, pacman said:

the anti-cr/cr troll posts outnumber any cr-like posts by a factor of 5, easily.

but, it is a shtick for ctj, his routine..something he also does routinely on the recruiting board (superior to the football board)

recruiting has little to no content right now, so he has brought his toxic behavior here..

I actually enjoy ctj schtick in recruiting, because in there (unlike here), he pretty much just attacks the people who know little/nothing.  He's Malcolm Tucker over there.  In this thread, he's Stewart Pearson.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Cruisers right now are actually kind of screwed.  Most of the island nations/territories have closed themselves off to visitors.  No visas issued.  The advisory is if you haven't departed the west coast, don't go.  And if you are already out there, there are few places that will allow you enter.  @Viking I think is contemplating leaving Florida for the Caribbean and probably can't right now.

Our primary destination, Catalina Island, is closed to outside boaters, and any non-residents.  So we are stuck.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

dammit. https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en has us at 22K new cases and 653 deaths for the day. 

6 states still haven't reported, although they're all usually smaller numbers except for Washington and Colorado, plus the evening updates from NY, Florida (maybe? their numbers look off), and CA will come in. Let's say CA goes from 200 so far to 1000 and from 4 deaths to say 20-25, Washington has 230 cases and 15 deaths, Colorado adds 400 cases and 20 deaths, Florida adds another 700 and 10 deaths, the smaller 4 states throw in a combined 250 new cases and 10 deaths. That's what? Almost 2400 new cases and 80 deaths, top line? So that leaves New York with call it another 2500 cases and 200 deaths. That takes you to 26,500 for the day and It's probably going to look similar to yesterday when the worldometers numbers lock-in at GMT with about 930 deaths.

Unfortunately, GreenspointTexas' projection of 50,000 cases and 2,000 deaths looks like it's going to struggle to legitimize. jimmyjazz needs about 800 dead people to be trending well enough to stay the course for 50,000 dead people by 4/15, so he's got to be pleased. Not sure what Dahobbs has projected in his hyperbole-caster-engine in order get to his 10,000 dead/day work-up by April 10, but he seemed sure of himself earlier today about it. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

My apartment complex sent this email out today.  I'm actually surprised they're being reasonable, and not greedy, uncaring assholes.

We know this is an unprecedented time of uncertainty and anxiety for our residents. We also know that many of our residents are suffering from job losses, furloughs and reduced hours. Fortunately, there is help available.

Direct Payments
The federal government will be making one-time cash payments directly to our citizens. These payments should be issued during the month of April either by check or direct deposit. How much will you receive?

• Individuals earning less than $75,000 will receive $1,200.
  • Married couples earning less than $150,000 will receive $2,400.
  • If you have children, you will receive $500 per child.
  • Individuals earning more than $75,000 and less than $99,000 – and couples earning more than $150,000 and less than $198,000 – are eligible for a lesser amount.

Enhanced Unemployment Benefits
If you have lost your job, you can apply for state unemployment benefits. Visit this link to learn how to apply:

Congress is enhancing state unemployment to provide more income and to cover more people.

• Adds $600 per week for four months on top of state unemployment.
  • Adds up to 13 weeks of additional unemployment benefits to those already enrolled but who are nearing the end of benefits.
  • Expands the program to include a number of workers not normally eligible to receive unemployment benefits. This includes:
    • Freelancers
    • Independent contractors/gig workers
    • Self-employed
    • Those with limited work history
    • Employees who are still employed, but whose hours have been reduced

It is important to apply as soon as possible. To help expedite aid, the federal government is funding the first week of benefits to encourage states to waive traditional waiting periods, but it may still take a couple of weeks to be processed

We’re Here to Work with You
We understand there may be a delay in your ability to access these benefits. If that’s the case, please talk to us. We are offering a number of rent flexibility options – payment plans, waived late fees and other options.

We’re all in this together and all deserve safe and clean housing. We are thankful for the hard work of our employees in keeping our community operational and all they continue to do to prepare for and mitigate the negative consequences of the COVID-19 outbreak at our community. To that end, we rely on rental payments to pay those workers and to cover our mortgage, utilities, maintenance and more.

If rental payments stop flowing, community stability and safety will be disrupted, just when peace of mind is most needed. We remain heartened by the stories of neighbors helping one another. Communities working together to stay safe is what will get us through this crisis, and we are here for you.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away