Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

10 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I read this article the other day and also watched Dr. David Price's video.  

https://medium.com/@paulanderson_73765/nyc-lung-doctor-tells-his-family-how-to-protect-themselves-from-covid-19-fb0b117b3472

@ChiTownDoc, thoughts?

way behind i'm sure heavily repped but well done witherspoon that's some crunk straight dope.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The deaths are a trailing indicator.  They're not going to flatten until a week after the new cases curve flattens.

So when do you expect the deaths curve to start flattening? Another week from now? Wasn’t the US in lockdown already by 3/15?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52115584?fbclid=IwAR07ZN367iglnLo-om-8pY8-kTMDAGqnJu2igA-Ihqaob8vWgBnZcbBVSas

There was no sugar-coating it this time. No optimistic talk of miracle cures or Easter-time business re-openings.

There was just the cold, hard reality of the facts on the ground.

"I want every American to be prepared for the hard days that lie ahead," a grave-faced Donald Trump said in his Tuesday afternoon press conference.

"This is going to be a very, very painful two weeks."

Trump extends US virus guidelines to end of April

Trump backs away from New York 'quarantine'

How painful? When the president was asked how many Americans are currently projected to die from the virus given even the current mitigation efforts, he said it was better if his medical experts responded.

The number of deaths, based on current projections, is between 100,000 and 200,000. On 15 April, for instance, 2,214 Americans are expected to die.

Media captionWhen asked about the scarcity of masks, Donald Trump suggests scarves as protection against Covid-19

"No-one is denying that we're going through a very, very difficult time," said Dr Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. "That's what it is."

The president tried to frame this news as best he could, noting that the projections for US casualties if the government had done nothing were in the millions.

"A lot of people were saying think of it as the flu, but it's not the flu," he said. "It's vicious."

Image copyrightREUTERS

Image captionRefrigeration units are being used as makeshift morgues in New York City - the worst hit place in the US

Of course, it was just a week ago the president himself was making exactly such comparisons, noting that the early fatality numbers were much less than those from the flu or even automobile accidents.

"We lose thousands of people a year to the flu," he said then. "We never turn the country off."

Three out of four Americans under some form of lockdown

What this crisis reveals about US and Trump

Now, however, the seriousness of the situation has hit home.

He spoke of checking in on a friend who was in the hospital with the virus - "a little older, and he's heavy, but he's tough person" - only to find out he was now in a coma.

"I spoke to some of my friends, and they can't believe what they're seeing," he said.

Media captionUS death rates v UK, Italy and South Korea

Mr Trump's change of attitude also extended to some of his recent political feuds.

Just days after attacking Democratic Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer, mocking her name and calling her incompetent on Twitter, the president said he had a "really great conversation" with her and detailed the support the federal government was providing her state.

Last Friday, he had suggested that if state leaders were not "appreciative" of him, he wouldn't talk to them.

On Tuesday, he recounted conversations with Democratic governors in California and Louisiana.

There was still a veiled shot at New York and its Democratic governor Andrew Cuomo, however, as the president suggested that both his state and New Jersey - the two hardest hit in the US - "got off to a very late start" with their pandemic response.

Trump also pushed back against Cuomo's complaint earlier on Tuesday that states were being forced to bid against each other, and the federal government, on the ventilator market.

"They shouldn't be doing that," the president said. "If that happens, they should be calling us. If they need them that badly, we know."

"Some people frankly think they need them but they don't need them," he added.

The new call from the White House was to continue the current mitigation efforts for an additional 30 days; that even if things go from bad to worse in the weeks to come, the efforts will pay off.

It will, however, be a long, slow grind.

"There's no magic bullet," said Dr Deborah Birx, one of the experts on the US taskforce.

"There's no magic vaccine or therapy. Just behaviours," she said.

5 minutes ago, XYZ said:

So when do you expect the deaths curve to start flattening? Another week from now? Wasn’t the US in lockdown already by 3/15?

The models are apparently showing some time in the second half of April (and maybe as late as May 1).  But it seems very up in the air.

20 minutes ago, Somnio said:

My apartment complex sent this email out today.  I'm actually surprised they're being reasonable, and not greedy, uncaring assholes.

Reveal hidden contents

We know this is an unprecedented time of uncertainty and anxiety for our residents. We also know that many of our residents are suffering from job losses, furloughs and reduced hours. Fortunately, there is help available.

Direct Payments
The federal government will be making one-time cash payments directly to our citizens. These payments should be issued during the month of April either by check or direct deposit. How much will you receive?

• Individuals earning less than $75,000 will receive $1,200.
  • Married couples earning less than $150,000 will receive $2,400.
  • If you have children, you will receive $500 per child.
  • Individuals earning more than $75,000 and less than $99,000 – and couples earning more than $150,000 and less than $198,000 – are eligible for a lesser amount.

Enhanced Unemployment Benefits
If you have lost your job, you can apply for state unemployment benefits. Visit this link to learn how to apply:

Congress is enhancing state unemployment to provide more income and to cover more people.

• Adds $600 per week for four months on top of state unemployment.
  • Adds up to 13 weeks of additional unemployment benefits to those already enrolled but who are nearing the end of benefits.
  • Expands the program to include a number of workers not normally eligible to receive unemployment benefits. This includes:
    • Freelancers
    • Independent contractors/gig workers
    • Self-employed
    • Those with limited work history
    • Employees who are still employed, but whose hours have been reduced

It is important to apply as soon as possible. To help expedite aid, the federal government is funding the first week of benefits to encourage states to waive traditional waiting periods, but it may still take a couple of weeks to be processed

We’re Here to Work with You
We understand there may be a delay in your ability to access these benefits. If that’s the case, please talk to us. We are offering a number of rent flexibility options – payment plans, waived late fees and other options.

We’re all in this together and all deserve safe and clean housing. We are thankful for the hard work of our employees in keeping our community operational and all they continue to do to prepare for and mitigate the negative consequences of the COVID-19 outbreak at our community. To that end, we rely on rental payments to pay those workers and to cover our mortgage, utilities, maintenance and more.

If rental payments stop flowing, community stability and safety will be disrupted, just when peace of mind is most needed. We remain heartened by the stories of neighbors helping one another. Communities working together to stay safe is what will get us through this crisis, and we are here for you.

Mine did too. Payment plans, no late fees, waived CC processing fees 

Hatin' Ass Spurrier on Covid-19  Nobody is Safe!

Folks in charge said everything was gonna go fine, and then two months later, everything fell apart. We talking about a pandemic or a Texas season?

Thought some of you might enjoy...

https://www.bannersociety.com/platform/amp/2020/4/1/21199648/hatin-ass-spurrier-coronavirus-thoughts

• Like 4

Did Trump just say that we're going to build two more hospital ships?

The Mercy class were converted oil tankers that took a year to spin up.  I would assume laying a keel on new construction would add at least another year let alone design time, shake down cruise, staffing, etc. 

A nursing home I went to earlier this month and thought, “this is a Coronavirus bomb waiting to explode.” currently has at least 14 positives. It’s been long enough that I know my family and I weren’t exposed, but looking back, I wish I had been more careful in there. 

Edited by Constant

Did Trump just say that we're going to build two more hospital ships?
The Mercy class were converted oil tankers that took a year to spin up.  I would assume laying a keel on new construction would add at least another year let alone design time, shake down cruise, staffing, etc. 

Yes. He said build new ships. Someone asked him again and he said build. Obviously that’s for longer term planning.

37 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I don't understand how anyone continued to 'go ahead' with their cruise ship vacation.  At all. 

I had a student who went on a Gulf cruise like 2 days before Hurricane Harvey hit.  So he missed the first two weeks of class circling around in the Gulf waiting for it to be safe to return.  

He came back and asked to make up the test he missed and I directed him to the syllabus where it said, "If you miss a test for any reason, that is the test you will drop."  

He literally emailed the president of the university complaining about me.  

He was doing pretty well in class, but then I pointed out that he had more absences than allowed not even counting the first two weeks, so there was no way he was going to make a decent grade with the absence penalty, and that he should drop the class.

So he was basically a clueless dumbshit, and that's your demographic.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

And now shit gets real.  I believe many, if not most thought this was going to just blow over.  

Just about every other disaster in recent history has been wham, bam, thank you ma'am.  Planes hit buildings, buildings burn, buildings fall.  Horrid, nightmarish day.  But one day.

And they were always localized.  Even Hurricane Katrina which really, really fucked Nola's shit up  for an extended period of time was there.  It really didn't affect most of us personally.  After a couple of days, maybe a week it's pretty much back to normal, unless you were in Louisiana or Mississippi.

I don't think people are prepared to deal with another month at least of further deteriorating conditions and news everywhere on the planet.

Crazy, fucked up days we're living in.  This is going to suck.

I said UK was two weeks away from Spain last week, and it seems like they are right on track. Another week and they will be above 5K deaths or more. 

Texas is still a month behind its projected peak, but it looks like Texas is not getting hit as severe as other areas. Thank god

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

(It’s not CR, promise) 

This could be funny and actually work, if they'd drawn in masks on all of the other townspeople.  Oh, and had them all 6' or more apart.

But they didn't, so now it's really just a bunch of judgey assholes complaining about one person whilst doing the exact same thing. Which, while certainly representative of reality, doesn't quite get across the point I believe they were trying to make.

Anyway, Belle is still my favorite hot cartoon crush, so the clip has that going for it, which is nice.

• Like 2

Perhaps this guy may not have the maturity to be a father:

A man who had been exposed to the coronavirus and who was himself feeling sick hid his symptoms from staff at Strong Memorial Hospital so he could join his expectant wife in the maternity center.

He confessed only when his wife began to show symptoms of COVID-19 shortly after giving birth.

The incident, which occurred in the last week, is a fresh example of the need for extreme caution — and honesty — when it comes to the highly communicable virus.

The Democrat and Chronicle is providing this story for free. For more coronavirus coverage, sign up for our daily newsletter. To support local journalism, please consider subscribing to the D&C.

The incident helped motivate a UR Medicine announcement Monday that it would begin taking the temperatures of the relatively small number of visitors being allowed into Strong, Highland and three other affiliated hospitals with maternity services.

The change is the second announced Monday. UR Medicine, along with Rochester Regional Health, said it would require staff, patients and visitors to wear surgical masks in public, patient-care areas of their facilities.

The exceptions are parents whose child is hospitalized; a person whose loved one is near the end of life, and one spouse, partner or doula to assist a woman giving birth and support her afterward.

Upon arriving, those visitors were asked if they'd been in proximity to anyone who might have COVID-19 and if their own health was good. If they attested that all was well, the visitors were allowed in. 

"It was purely an honor system before," said UR Medicine spokesman Chip Partner. "Now we're adding the temperature check."

Visitors' body temperatures will be checked for fever, a sign of possible coronavirus infection upon entry, and every 12 hours afterward as long as the visitor remains in the hospital.

The incident in Strong's maternity unit began after the husband of a woman about to give birth avowed when he arrived at the hospital that he was healthy.

He changed his tune after the child was born. "The mother became symptomatic shortly after delivering. That’s when the significant other admitted his potential exposure and that he was feeling symptomatic," Partner said.

Whether the mother, father or newborn actually developed COVID-19 could not be disclosed due to privacy laws, Partner said.

He declined to speculate why the father was untruthful when he arrived at Strong.

Maternity staff were informed of their potential exposure but allowed to continue working as long as they remained asymptomatic, Partner said. They were instructed to wear masks at all times and to take their temperatures throughout their shift. Fever is the most common early symptom of COVID-19.

One staff member showed symptoms of respiratory illness and was tested for coronavirus. The test was negative, Partner said, but she remained in quarantine for an additional length of time just to be certain she was healthy.

Now for a 1% update: ACC was open....until today. A member of the kitchen staff has Covid-19 (and is unfortunately in the hospital) so they closed the club.

The most absurd part of the situation is that up until a few days agon they allowed you to use all facilities except the gym and pool if you signed a waiver.

1 minute ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Now for a 1% update: ACC was open....until today. A member of the kitchen staff has Covid-19 (and is unfortunately in the hospital) so they closed the club.

The most absurd part of the situation is that up until a few days agon they allowed you to use all facilities except the gym and pool if you signed a waiver.

The Austin Club switched over to a "to go" only model two weeks ago.  Still excellent food.  Really low price points, around $15 per entree.  Even Easter buffet is around $25.  I assume that they are just trying to find a way to support their key staff.  My bet is that private clubs and hotels will end up being the only "fine dining" spots still open after the smoke clears.  Welcome back to the 1950's and 1960's in Texas, before Governor Connally pushed through "Liquor by the Drink"

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

The models are apparently showing some time in the second half of April (and maybe as late as May 1).  But it seems very up in the air.

Are you saying they ate unable to lockdown a number?

58 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I had a student who went on a Gulf cruise like 2 days before Hurricane Harvey hit.  So he missed the first two weeks of class circling around in the Gulf waiting for it to be safe to return.  

He came back and asked to make up the test he missed and I directed him to the syllabus where it said, "If you miss a test for any reason, that is the test you will drop."  

He literally emailed the president of the university complaining about me.  

He was doing pretty well in class, but then I pointed out that he had more absences than allowed not even counting the first two weeks, so there was no way he was going to make a decent grade with the absence penalty, and that he should drop the class.

So he was basically a clueless dumbshit, and that's your demographic.

If he can do pretty well in your class without attending the lectures,  how valuable are your lectures?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I agree with what you're saying.

But that last part... Sweet baby Jesus you're king o de nerds man.

Hey, I know, you're more of a Tiana kind of guy, and that's cool too.  It takes all kinds.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I'll do some speculation on why he lied...

He's a fucking huge POS that is absolutely self centered even to the ends of endangering his own family. Fuck him.

Understatement. Endangered himself, his wife, newborn child, and every staff member serving his wife.

For a birth, depending on time of labor and services required, is about 4 staff members a shift you would come in contact with?

Yeah, fuck him for sure but it's good for citizens to know selfish pricks like him exist.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Constant said:

A nursing home I went to earlier this month and thought, “this is a Coronavirus bomb waiting to explode.” currently has at least 14 positives. It’s been long enough that I know my family and I weren’t exposed, but looking back, I wish I had been more careful in there. 

Ever jerk off in your cruiser? 

30 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

If he can do pretty well in your class without attending the lectures,  how valuable are your lectures?

This was a senior level class in his major.  If all you want to do is "pretty well" in a class like that, then you and I aren't going to get along.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I'll do some speculation on why he lied...

He's a fucking huge POS that is absolutely self centered even to the ends of endangering his own family. Fuck him.

I'm trying to be a new kindler gentler Beau Vine... so that's what I was thinking but I didn't want to say it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Iceman said:

I don't get it.  I mean I do, but I don't.  

Wife and I watched podcast of our old church in The Woodlands the past 2 weeks. Message was great.  praise and worship was great. We still tithe.

Yeah we miss some of the fellowship, but the safety and wellbeing of the congregation is worth protecting, if nothing else.

Sad that folks think they have to meet in THAT building... to be a church.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away