Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Constant said:

A nursing home I went to earlier this month and thought, “this is a Coronavirus bomb waiting to explode.” currently has at least 14 positives. It’s been long enough that I know my family and I weren’t exposed, but looking back, I wish I had been more careful in there. 

Most (not many) of the nursing homes do not have proper PPE.  We run postacute networks for some of the best hospitals in the country.  Because these days the hospitals lose money for poor care for their discharged patients - even to nursing homes...managing care in these places in a big deal, unlike 10 years ago.  I know way more than I want to about the subpar care in many of these places.

It's scary as shit, but I can assure you, if this spread as easily as we first thought every single nursing home in major cities would be blowing up with cases.  First of all, therapy is ongoing in 99% of nursing homes.  Many patients are short term there...meaning they're there specifically for rehab until they're strong enough to go home.  We have several places with pending COVID tests and therapists are seeing these patients only wearing a flimsy mask and no gown etc...Have you seen how close therapists have to be to most of these patients?  Doesn't take long to figure out if asymptomatic spread was as prevalent as first thought, few places would be spared.  

I was antibody positive...timeline fits MidFeb when almost nobody had COVID precautions in Chicago.  I go to about 12 hospitals/facilities...it would have been a got damn disaster.  Luckily it's fairly obvious if you're feeling less sick / afebrile etc, you're NOT going to spread it easily.  Anyways, took off on a tangent after you mentioned nursing homes...be safe out there but no need to get ourselves worked up with max anxiety. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Perhaps this guy may not have the maturity to be a father:

A Senator in the Philippines who tested positive took his wife to the hospital to have their baby. People are still calling for his resignation. 

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It's scary as shit, but I can assure you, if this spread as easily as we first thought every single nursing home in major cities would be blowing up with cases.  First of all, therapy is ongoing in 99% of nursing homes.  Many patients are short term there...meaning they're there specifically for rehab until they're strong enough to go home.  We have several places with pending COVID tests and therapists are seeing these patients only wearing a flimsy mask and no gown etc...Have you seen how close therapists have to be to most of these patients?  Doesn't take long to figure out if asymptomatic spread was as prevalent as first thought, few places would be spared.  

I was antibody positive...timeline fits MidFeb when almost nobody had COVID precautions in Chicago.  I go to about 12 hospitals/facilities...it would have been a got damn disaster.  Luckily it's fairly obvious if you're feeling less sick / afebrile etc, you're NOT going to spread it easily.  Anyways, took off on a tangent after you mentioned nursing homes...be safe out there but no need to get ourselves worked up with max anxiety. 

What's hard to do is reconcile this with things like the Biogen conference, or more recently, the choir practice in Seattle where damn near everyone got sick.  I guess there will always be "super spreader" events that are hard to explain but seems to vary.  Also, did you read the German paper where they tested viral load on individuals with known contact as soon as they became symptomatic?  I can't find it right now but I believe the takeaway was the viral load was significant even in mild cases (at least compared to SARS 1)

Fucking brutal finish to the worldometer reset

NY with 500 deaths today. but less overall cases than yesterday. Nj flip flopped..more cases today than yesterday(+1500), NY with 700 case drop from yesterday

Our first 1000 death day,1,047. Half from NY, other states didn’t report devastating death numbers, so that’s nice

Compared to yesterday- Deaths up 130 so not a huge spike. Daily cases up 1700

Michigan, Massachusetts continue to struggle

Illinois seems like a roller coaster

Louisiana is a shit show

Georgia’s cooled off

Cali and Texas are our nations saviors right now

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

What's hard to do is reconcile this with things like the Biogen conference, or more recently, the choir practice in Seattle where damn near everyone got sick.  I guess there will always be "super spreader" events that are hard to explain but seems to vary.  Also, did you read the German paper where they tested viral load on individuals with known contact as soon as they became symptomatic?  I can't find it right now but I believe the takeaway was the viral load was significant even in mild cases (at least compared to SARS 1)

It may be significant (viral load in asymptomatic pts) but I really believe for it to spread like wildfire you need the sickest patients who are spreading it / shedding it in much greater quantity.  Many countries with more success tracked fevers and I'm 100% sure if you're afebrile you're spreading less...the trillion dollar question is, how much less?  

I have articles showing asymptomatic spread is not significant.  It's from China so who the hell knows.  But for typical flu and most viruses, you certainly are less contagious when you're asymptomatic.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

NY with 500 deaths today. but less overall cases than yesterday. Nj flip flopped..more cases today than yesterday(+1500), NY with 700 case drop from yesterday

Our first 1000 death day,1,047. Half from NY, other states didn’t report devastating death numbers, so that’s nice

Louisiana is a shit show

Georgia’s cooled off

Yeah, NY came in hot at the end with almost 300 more deaths over the top of this morning. Basically the difference between yesterday and today is the difference in death count in NY. At least their cases went down, not that a single day means much. 

21 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Louisiana is a shit show

Georgia’s cooled off

Give Florida a few days, and they will say “Hold my beer!”

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Skipper said:

What's hard to do is reconcile this with things like the Biogen conference, or more recently, the choir practice in Seattle where damn near everyone got sick.  I guess there will always be "super spreader" events that are hard to explain but seems to vary.

My oldest buddy, who is ironically a veterinarian (but a Major in the Air Force as a medical officer) is headed off to Albany, GA to work the outbreak there.  Apparently they think "super spreading" is a thing.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

jimmyjazz needs about 800 dead people to be trending well enough to stay the course for 50,000 dead people by 4/15, so he's got to be pleased.

Fuck you.  

You're biologically incapable of reading what people write and internalizing their thoughts.  Despite multiple attempts on my part to address your jackassery, you just have to be a giant fucking asshole.  Decorum prevents me from saying anything more -- use your tiny little imagination.

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Fuck you.  

You're biologically incapable of reading what people write and internalizing their thoughts.  Despite multiple attempts on my part to address your jackassery, you just have to be a giant fucking asshole.  Decorum prevents me from saying anything more -- use your tiny little imagination.

Now Jimmy, that’s a harsh, emotional thing to say to someone who has been your comrade on the boards for so long. I’m hurt. You all but slapped with your silk gloves with this last post.

That said, don’t sweat it. I’ll keep the count up daily through the 15th and we’ll see how close you get to your target. Like I said, you’re off to a rip-roaring start. You’re just going to need some carnage somewhere else besides the tri-state area in order to get close, so I’m sure you and yours will be rooting hard for Louisiana, Michigan, and Illinois to continue with their flare-ups. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 7

Venus bright as fuck outside right now. Go outside a take a look.  It’s a beautiful night with a clear sky. 

Yes it is. I’m sitting outside to watch TV tonight since it may be the last cool night for a while. I’ve got my cooler set up with whiskey and ice and I’m sitting in the spa. Stay safe Surly!
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Venus bright as fuck outside right now. Go outside a take a look.  It’s a beautiful night with a clear sky. 

Skies have been much clearer with people hunkered down. Been enjoying the night sky.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hate said:

Yes it is. I’m sitting outside to watch TV tonight since it may be the last cool night for a while. I’ve got my cooler set up with whiskey and ice and I’m sitting in the spa. Stay safe Surly!

no shit, rain in the forecast forever. get outside surly. we can insult each other tomorrow. 

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yes, and also bright Sirius makes a nice triangle with the Moon and Venus. Thanks for getting me to get out and look, cause going outside is a complicated ritual these days.

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

On a separate note, many folks just can't miss an opportunity to blame a crisis on Jews:  https://www.adl.org/blog/international-scapegoating-of-israel-and-jews-for-spreading-covid-19

Being from a family of Spanish Sephardic Jews, I am still amused at how people in this day and age still believe in shit like this.  

I hear people boast about how proud they are to be a fifth generation white Christian from some two-horse town and how at least they don't have no Jews in their neck of the woods and I take serious pity.  That your family never got smart or rich enough to move on to greener pastures is your source of pride?  /rant

I’ve heard that all of zero times in my entire life.  Good on you though.  

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Now Jimmy, that’s a harsh, emotional thing to say to someone who has been your comrade on the boards for so long. I’m hurt. You all but slapped with your silk gloves with this last post.

That said, don’t sweat it. I’ll keep the count up daily through the 15th and we’ll see how close you get to your target. Like I said, you’re off to a rip-roaring start. You’re just going to need some carnage somewhere else besides the tri-state area in order to get close, so I’m sure you and yours will be rooting hard for Louisiana, Michigan, and Illinois to continue with their flare-ups. 

I read this in Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday voice and it was so much better.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Traveled to Colombia mid-February with a group of about 18 people for about a week, and we just had a Zoom call and found out that one of the guys I met contracted Covid. He's actually from Austin, apparently his symptoms never progressed to the pneumonia stage. He's basically quarantined in his own house from his wife and has to remain that way for at least three days after symptoms subside. He said he had a scratchy throat and cough, but I don't think he ever got a fever. Just crazy that I actually know someone with it.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, iodeac said:

Traveled to Colombia mid-February with a group of about 18 people for about a week, and we just had a Zoom call and found out that one of the guys I met contracted Covid. He's actually from Austin, apparently his symptoms never progressed to the pneumonia stage. He's basically quarantined in his own house from his wife and has to remain that way for at least three days after symptoms subside. He said he had a scratchy throat and cough, but I don't think he ever got a fever. Just crazy that I actually know someone with it.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

I know 5 people who (separately) have contracted it. All were from travel in early March. All are fine, fortunately, but 2 had to be hospitalized. 

• Like 1

Louisiana is a shit show

Georgia’s cooled off

Georgia clamped down today. No more school for the rest of the year and SiP for the major metro counties. Not much different from where we were but we’ll see where it leads.

I actually enjoy ctj schtick in recruiting, because in there (unlike here), he pretty much just attacks the people who know little/nothing.  He's Malcolm Tucker over there.  In this thread, he's Stewart Pearson.  

Pos rep for the “The Thick of It” reference.
5d9d0364c1b192976aa92ac54c0824ce.gif
  • Like 2

Did Trump just say that we're going to build two more hospital ships?
The Mercy class were converted oil tankers that took a year to spin up.  I would assume laying a keel on new construction would add at least another year let alone design time, shake down cruise, staffing, etc. 
Good time to buy an oil tanker or cargo ship though, huh?

How's the market for those big-ass LNG tankers right now?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away