Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

OK, I'm bailing on this thread for at least a few days.

This thread started out as an awesome place to amalgamate information, but this week it has turned into fucking Lord of the Flies.  I'm not innocent of it -- I jumped down a poster's throat because I confused him with a CR troll with a similar name; I've apologized to him via DM.   Regardless, I don't need this much external venom in my life, not ever, but especially not now.

Maybe I'll try the Cloak Room thread for information and reasoned discussion?

Whatever, y'all wonderful assholes stay safe, please.

Outstanding. This is actually what narcissism looks like. Good lord. 

I can’t say for certain. I don’t personally know anyone that has been tested. My guess is we are on the quick end of the scale but I don’t know. I do know it is imperative we identify and isolate/quarantine ourselves as soon as possible. Luckily the city has made that a priority and I think we have done a good job at keeping possible exposures home. I still feel like it is going to blowup sooner than later just due to the nature of having so many shared surfaces and close contacts. 

Hopefully y’all can get tested when you need it. I know the front line healthcare providers still can’t get tested without the necessary symptoms. Hopefully the antibody test ChiTownDoc was able to get will be more widely distributed to healthcare workers in the near future.

40 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I live in a condo complex. 2 days ago a guy from the landscaping team knocked on my door. I talked to him out of my window that's close to the front door. Cuz, you know, covid and all. He asks me to move my car so they can park their trailer closer to throw in some tree limbs. My car was parked in a regular parking spot. I was pissed and told him to fuck off. I couldn't believe this fuckstick actually did this. 

This fucking asshole just knocked on my door again 3 times presumably to ask again. I didn't answer but I'm sitting here in absolute disbelief at this shit. Am I just a hot headed, unhinged asshole or is this fuckwad  completely out of line?

I'm not ok with my closest friends knocking on my door unannounced in the most normal circumstances, let alone some lazy ass motherfucker that wants to get his trailer 5 feet closer to make his job easier when people are dropping like flies all over the world because of close contact with other people. 

I might plunk this cocksucker in the ass with my bb gun out of the window all day. 

You know you don't have to make out with the guy when you go out to move your car, right? Unless he's hot, of course.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Yeah, but it's weird that the guy would know the spot belonged to that one particular unit.  Rarely are outdoor parking spots labeled with the same number as the unit itself for security purposes.  It's usually space 37 is for unit 263, etc.  I dunno, just curious since it's a slow day at work.  

Or I'm picturing the lawn guy going to a few different units and asking whose car that is and then I picture Arsenio Hall in "Amazon Women on the Moon"..."Look man, ain't no Thelma at this address, the bitch don't live here!" 

Edited by Lobo

44 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I live in a condo complex. 2 days ago a guy from the landscaping team knocked on my door. I talked to him out of my window that's close to the front door. Cuz, you know, covid and all. He asks me to move my car so they can park their trailer closer to throw in some tree limbs. My car was parked in a regular parking spot. I was pissed and told him to fuck off. I couldn't believe this fuckstick actually did this. 

This fucking asshole just knocked on my door again 3 times presumably to ask again. I didn't answer but I'm sitting here in absolute disbelief at this shit. Am I just a hot headed, unhinged asshole or is this fuckwad  completely out of line?

I'm not ok with my closest friends knocking on my door unannounced in the most normal circumstances, let alone some lazy ass motherfucker that wants to get his trailer 5 feet closer to make his job easier when people are dropping like flies all over the world because of close contact with other people. 

I might plunk this cocksucker in the ass with my bb gun out of the window all day. 

Always a good idea to shoot BBs at a guy who knows exactly where you live and exactly where you park your car.  I'm surprised one of those tree limbs didn't "accidentally" go through your windshield. 

Just move your damn car. You're the asshole in this scenario. 

• Like 1

Just now, BBQ2Bayou said:

Neighbor told him. Which also pisses me off. I mean goddamn, how hard is it to mind your business and go about your day. 

I think the next time he knocks, you should bring him inside, bludgeon with a baseball bat, then grab his limp, lifeless body by the ankles, knock on the next door neighbor’s door, when he answers, shout “Guess what, motherfucker!” and then club him to death by swinging the other dude’s corpse at him.   When finished, gently close the door, retreat to your isolation and then wash your hands vigorously.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think the next time he knocks, you should bring him inside, bludgeon with a baseball bat, then grab his limp, lifeless body by the ankles, knock on the next door neighbor’s door, when he answers, shout “Guess what, motherfucker!” and then club him to death by swinging the other dude’s corpse at him.   When finished, gently close the door, retreat to your isolation and then wash your hands vigorously.  

You scare me, bro.

You're taking the paranoia to greenspoint "suicidal grocery store trip" levels. He asked you to move your car, not drive him around town... When Surly unanimously condemns you as an asshole, you're definitely an asshole. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Neighbor told him. Which also pisses me off. I mean goddamn, how hard is it to mind your business and go about your day. 

Maybe a, “yeah, no problem, man.” would have been the better utilitarian move. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Newdoc said:

In light of everything else maybe he should be posting this on “Trivial things that make you Surly.”

You're absolutely right. I shouldn't have posted that here. There's a lot of good info coming out of this thread that people need. My bad for that.

Since we're leaving politics out of this thread, how about religion?  We don't need a whole forum like Quackenbush's, but somewhere we can discuss it in these trying times.

1 minute ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

You're absolutely right. I shouldn't have posted that here. There's a lot of good info coming out of this thread that people need. My bad for that.

At least on Surly your a reasonable asshole.  Usually we get all the internet tough guys, not the guys that are like that in real life.

9 minutes ago, B00M said:

You're taking the paranoia to greenspoint "suicidal grocery store trip" levels. He asked you to move your car, not drive him around town... When Surly unanimously condemns you as an asshole, you're definitely an asshole. 

so..congrats?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I could see a "Sir, do you really need me to move my car because I don't know if you heard but the corona is everywhere like a invisible vapor/gas that can kill anyone in 30 minutes upon exposure."

The guy would have probably moved on not wanting to deal with an obvious crazy man.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Since we're leaving politics out of this thread, how about religion?  We don't need a whole forum like Quackenbush's, but somewhere we can discuss it in these trying times.

So we can talk about how we've been forsaken?

Under a motion passed by the city council in Laredo, Texas, earlier this week, residents in the town can now face a fine of up to $1,000 for not wearing some form of covering on their nose and mouth in the midst of the coronavirus outbreak.

According to the Laredo Morning Times, council members passed the motion in a vote earlier this week. As part of the measure, all residents over the age of 5 are required to have their nose and mouth covered when entering public buildings, using public transportation and when pumping gas, the body said in a notice detailing the motion, which went into effect Thursday.

https://www.lmtonline.com/local/article/Laredo-City-Council-mandates-anyone-who-goes-15170291.php

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, B00M said:

This place is 33% asshole.  If you look to your left and dont see one and look to your right and don't see one, you're the asshole.

Credit to Robin Williams but his joke was about a different demographic.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Somnio said:

I just saw on CNN New York has had 1200 new Covid-19 hospitalizations in the last day.

It's not on their website yet, otherwise I'd post a link.

Is there any data showing NY Covid hospitalizations by day?  If not starting to flatten that's not good.

wonder if we see some standardized ideas around this rolled out nationally? makes a ton of sense and is one more way PPE can be preserved...

screenshot of the specific "booth" from the tweet

0j4weyz.png

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Just tell him sure, and go take a nap.  For real tho, you’re being the asshole here. Just slightly under your neighbor, who’s definitely an asshole. 

New Jersey just added 182 deaths for today's count. Yesterday, I believe, was their biggest day, and that was 88. Pretty big jump. worldometers also shows a massive jump for Florida, but it's a scraping bust. The source data reflects a jump of 27 on the day, which would still be easily their biggest day ever. New Jersey's identified cases is down day over day, and they usually release one set of info every morning and that's that. So that part is a good sign for them.

New Jersey just added 182 deaths for today's count. Yesterday, I believe, was their biggest day, and that was 88. Pretty big jump. worldometers also shows a massive jump for Florida, but it's a scraping bust. The source data reflects a jump of 27 on the day, which would still be easily their biggest day ever. New Jersey's identified cases is down day over day, and they usually release one set of info every morning and that's that. So that part is a good sign for them.

Oof Florida with 209 deaths. Well at least they’re 4.5 weeks late on their shut down and got to live life while the rest of us are starting our 3rd week of home living

41 minutes ago, B00M said:

And we'd know... we're all top flight assholes...

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

some good news?

LOL it only took them a month to start putting out these graphs and inserting the factor of total population into the mix. The result? WOW LOOK AT THIS. Some of these people need to be stripped of their credentials. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Other observations about today's early data, Louisiana shows a slight jump in death toll, from from 34 to 37, but a massive jump in new cases, going from under 1200 yesterday to over 2700 today. That's more than 25% of their total confirmed cases in a day's worth of accounting.

Florida with 35% case jump day over day. 

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Oof Florida with 209 deaths. Well at least they’re 4.5 weeks late on their shut down and got to live life while the rest of us are starting our 3rd week of home living

Yeah, but like I said, that's not a real number. Worldometers has a scraping issue for that one, which I'm sure they'll fix quickly, same as other times it's popped up. Here's the source data from the state: https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8d0de33f260d444c852a615dc7837c86

7 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

LOL it only took them a month to start putting out these graphs and inserting the factor of total population into the mix. The result? WOW LOOK AT THIS. Some of these people need to be stripped of their credentials. 

If every Italian got this and died from it, a deaths chart would look very stable after ~60 million. Would people here be saying that we can look forward to a leveling off of deaths at 60 million?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away