Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

the guy on the right is trying to work the jedi mind trick on the virus.  "Covid19, earth is not the host you are looking for"

Think how quickly we could’ve eliminated the aliens on July 4, 1996 with this virus. 

Anyone else want to put their marker down on what hey think the death toll will be?

Can we start a running list of these prognosticators?  You know, so we know who has bragging rights.  

Any of you want to speculate as to the sex of the panda?

royalbaby GIF

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Anyone else want to put their marker down on what hey think the death toll will be?

Can we start a running list of these prognosticators?  You know, so we know who has bragging rights.  

royalbaby GIF

I predict that I will kill a lot of bottles of bourbon.  And I mean A LOT.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

royalbaby GIF

Ha, I've thought about it with Brian Fantana's "Panda Watch!" voice in my head too. 

So far, we've got Dahobbs up on the  big board with 10,000 deaths per day by April 10th, which he reconfirmed yesterday. So, I guess he's thinking big with an overall number.

jimmyjazz projects 50,000 total as of April 15th, including hoping to see me and my family as part of the body count.

I believe briskettexan showed up early and matter of fact declared 2million but he might have had a range in there. 

atomheartbevo at one point believed that this was going to be 12 Monkeys bad but I don't think he stated a number. I assume he was just broadly thinking in the billions.

Anastasis is apparently a fellow sunshine-pumper and he's called for something in the 50's, I think for the year. 

Not sure who else has shown up with something. I've stated that jimmyjazz and dahobbs are wrong and it won't even be close, but now that Michigan has come completely and totally unhinged, I don't know, they've got to be feeling better about their chances. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ha, I've thought about it with Brian Fantana's "Panda Watch!" voice in my head too. 

So far, we've got Dahobbs up on the  big board with 10,000 deaths per day by April 10th, which he reconfirmed yesterday. So, I guess he's thinking big with an overall number.

jimmyjazz projects 50,000 total as of April 15th, including hoping to see me and my family as part of the body count.

I believe briskettexan showed up early and matter of fact declared 2million but he might have had a range in there. 

atomheartbevo at one point believed that this was going to be 12 Monkeys bad but I don't think he stated a number. I assume he was just broadly thinking in the billions.

Anastasis is apparently a fellow sunshine-pumper and he's called for something in the 50's, I think for the year. 

Not sure who else has shown up with something. I've stated that jimmyjazz and dahobbs are wrong and it won't even be close, but now that Michigan has come completely and totally unhinged, I don't know, they've got to be feeling better about their chances. 

Someone posted waaaaay upthread fewer than 9 Americans under the age of 25 would die, but I can't recall who.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why? 2 million Americans die every year. There would be some overlap in the numbers, some of your 125k would have died of something else by the end of the year. 

I think 125k would be a big win and wouldn’t really feel sick until we hit a million.  Which I feel we may have been looking at without mitigation. 

Yeah but I am a bigger pussy and would get sicker quicker.🤪

18 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Sounds like your class sucks. Don’t know where you teach but I’d venture to guess your class only starts to add students  once the desired profs are full. 

I disagree.  Sounds like bovine has adapted to the current fucktard generation he has inherited.  I've seen the grammar of some of our recent graduates and it's uphauling.  A few years ago i interviewed a former tridelt/cheer with a 3.4 transcript off the 40 who could not form compound sentences.  I wonder how in the hell she pulled a 3.4 out of McCombs.  Next door neighbor kid graduates next year and is sitting on a 3.7 in psychology, but when she talks she uses the word "like" every 4 to 5 seconds.

I know we have some youngs on here and simply by being on the Surl they get a pass.  The vast majority of their cohorts have zero situational awareness and are almost impossible to teach in the business world.

It is a privilege to attend The University.  Hold their fucking feet to the fire.  If they bitch, tell them they are welcome to transfer to Indoctrination Station.

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I disagree.  Sounds like bovine has adapted to the current fucktard generation he has inherited.  I've seen the grammar of some of our recent graduates and it's uphauling.  A few years ago i interviewed a former tridelt/cheer with a 3.4 transcript off the 40 who could not form compound sentences.  I wonder how in the hell she pulled a 3.4 out of McCombs.  Next door neighbor kid graduates next year and is sitting on a 3.7 in psychology, but when she talks she uses the word "like" every 4 to 5 seconds.

I know we have some youngs on here and simply by being on the Surl they get a pass.  The vast majority of their cohorts have zero situational awareness and are almost impossible to teach in the business world.

It is a privilege to attend The University.  Hold their fucking feet to the fire.  If they bitch, tell them they are welcome to transfer to Indoctrination Station.

Ummm...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I had <100k US this year. Brisket had 250k - 1M I think.

i also have $50 out there to someone on my kids getting back to school for a week. That one’s not looking good. 

• Like 1

Just following up on the whole "the US fucking sucks and Europe!/South Korea/China!/Singapore has it all figured out" refrain that makes a regular appearance on this thread. 

The US is testing more than 100,000 people a day during the week. 18.2% of the population tested has come back positive. That number is driven by 44% positives of those tested in Michigan, 42% in New Jersey, and 38% in New York. Most (30) states have a positive testing ratio of less than 10%, including Washington state and Texas. California has 59,000 of 88,000 tests given that are still in a pending state. These are all people being tested across the country who think they have it, and in many cases, fit into a key demographic group.

New York and New Jersey represent roughly a quarter of the total completed tests. 1.2million have been tested, mostly starting 2 weeks ago at scale. 

In Europe:

-Estonia, Iceland, and Norway have done an elite job from the beginning with their testing. You can google and find many laudatory articles associated to each.

-Germany stumbled out of the gate and has done well since, as they're now testing close to 50,000 people a day.

-Ireland, Portugal, Ukraine, and Austria all appear to have gotten their shit together after early stumbles.

-Denmark, Sweden, Finland, France, UK, The Netherlands, Greece, Spain and Italy have all been one form of fucked up or another, and many of them remain as much right now. Hungary and Russia are both LOLs. Some of these countries have flat out abandoned testing but for those coming to the hospital, or they've started reporting positives based on symptoms and hospitalization, including Sweden. The Netherlands is dealing with testing problems and can't ramp up as recently as Monday.

-While not in Europe, Canada has certainly done a good job of testing according to various articles, so good on them.

I know there are few countries I didn't look up, so be it. Regardless, the premise that the United States fucking sucks at testing is bullshit. There are states that could be doing better, but there are inherent challenges with something like this irrespective of even positive intent from governments, and then some governments have been idiots about this and remain as much. That happens to be true all over the fucking globe. 

Obviously if we had a semi-police state or full-blown police state and a completely submissive population, as some seem to yearn for here on this thread, yes, we could be seeing insanely better testing like the countries of Singapore, South Korea, and China.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A veritable Pantheon of lunacy...........

I predicted we'll have a vaccine in the fall and there is no risk to college football and bad things will happen in Europe (over time) and I repeat them here. Everything's pretty normal by midsummer, except maybe we're all wearing masks and old people can't go out. The revolutions come later, but come they will. Europe will be devastated, US will recover, nipple rings for everyone.

Edited by Thetexashammer

3 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

I had <100k US this year. Brisket had 250k - 1M I think.

i also have $50 out there to someone on my kids getting back to school for a week. That one’s not looking good. 

My bad on saying brisket said 2million then.  So he posted a range of a quarter to a million. 

I'm beginning to wonder about the consequences of this hitting Russia hard.  Historically they haven't really given a shit about their population, and if they see the situation with the Teddy Roosevelt as being indicative of the state of our military they just might see an opportunity here.

Shit, throw China in that pot too.  Things could get really fucked up.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

On 3/26/2020 at 4:36 PM, TexArcher said:

Anyone who believes that needs a remedial math lesson.

The death toll has been doubling every two to three days.  And that's before this disease overwhelms hospitals and every new case that needs a ventilator doesn't get one.

We're at over 1,000 deaths today with 17 days until Easter.  If the death total doubles 6 more times by then, we're looking at 64,000 dead Americans by Easter.  

Maybe it won't be that bad.  Social distancing will curb the rate of infections.  But the mortality rate may also increase in the short term due to lack of care.  It's tough to say.

But the death toll in America will absolutely hit five figures in the next few days.  It may hit six figures in the next few weeks.  It's not unthinkable that it hits seven figures before we get a vaccine.

Stay.  Home.  For a long time.   

Here is archer with 10,000+ guaranteed a ‘few’ days from 3/26. 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm beginning to wonder about the consequences of this hitting Russia hard.  Historically they haven't really given a shit about their population, and if they see the situation with the Teddy Roosevelt as being indicative of the state of our military they just might see an opportunity here.

They'll hold on until winter for covid to get napoleon/hitler'd.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

You know damn well how she tugged her way through McCombs.

3 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
33 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

What is with the Navy and their fire first ask questions later MO? They seem different than the other services in that respect.

Yeah.  I dislike the current leadership of the Navy.  I think this was all bullshit cold war era leadership.  Many times doing the right thing in the Navy gets you no where.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regardless, the premise that the United States fucking sucks at testing is bullshit. There are states that could be doing better, but there are inherent challenges with something like this irrespective of even positive intent from governments, and then some governments have been idiots about this and remain as much. That happens to be true all over the fucking globe. 

I don't think t we fucking suck on April 2nd, but we sure did fucking suck on March 2.  Yes, there are still limitations (in Texas in particular) but I'm pretty damn impressed how we've ramped up in the last month given where we started.  We're like the kid in Beau Vine's class that bombed the first test then started attending his brilliant lectures and aced the 2nd one.   Now we need to solve whatever this reactant supply chain issue is, figure out antibody testing, and coast into May with a smooooth C+ average. 

• Like 1

It's hard to compare numbers without a common timeframe, but I''m coming in at 100k through the end of July.

My record on prognostication includes boldly predicting that Katrina was all media hype and would turn out to be a minor event.

4 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
35 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

What is with the Navy and their fire first ask questions later MO? They seem different than the other services in that respect.

I’m not so sure that the Navy fires more COs than other services, but they do have a PR policy of publicly announcing the firing of personnel in command leadership positions, especially when some form of personal misconduct is involved.  I’m sure that breaking the chain of command here was the reason for “loss of confidence.”  

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

I’m not so sure that the Navy fires more COs than other services, but they do have a PR policy of publicly announcing the firing of personnel in command leadership positions, especially when some form of personal misconduct is involved.  I’m sure that breaking the chain of command here was the reason for “loss of confidence.”  

I just read on a friends FB page that the Carrier Strike Group Commander was embarked on the TR and he didn't know about the letter.  I am guessing there must have been a conflict there.  

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I predict we are all going to die.  

"How's your mother?"

"She's on her way out."

"We all are, act accordingly."

I see you, bschoolprof.

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I don't think t we fucking suck on April 2nd, but we sure did fucking suck on March 2.  Yes, there are still limitations (in Texas in particular) but I'm pretty damn impressed how we've ramped up in the last month given where we started.  We're like the kid in Beau Vine's class that bombed the first test then started attending his brilliant lectures and aced the 2nd one.   Now we need to solve whatever this reactant supply chain issue is, figure out antibody testing, and coast into May with a smooooth C+ average. 

I didn't have anyone in particular in mind when I wrote that. Someone did it earlier today and, well, I got curious. For sure the first part of this was fucked up with the testing. It happened almost everywhere across the globe for one reason or another, with the exceptions I mentioned, and most of them had advantages not available to many of the other countries. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away