Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ok, here's the follow up I said I'd come back with... 

I know there's a pissing match on here between the doomsday group and those that think those people are morons.  The bottom line is if we didn't quarantine, the doomsday group would have been right.  

if we did all of this right, we're going to think we shouldn't have. 

and if we didn't do it, we will wish that we had.

the ultimate catch22

i just hope people are smart enough to see it.

and thank you for your post(s)...between this update and your test results (and mild symptoms), you give me a little optimism and hope. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

At NW Remdesivir trials are on going on.  But you’re not guaranteed the drug if you end up there.  I’m hearing the same at other hospitals but no first hand knowledge.  

Hydrochloroquine/azithromycin being used too but not sure on trials.  Less hope there imo

There are no registered trials on clinicaltrials.gov with a Z-pak or combo arm, just hydroxychloroquine, Vit C, and placebo.  Maybe there is one that hasn't been registered yet, but I doubt that because registering the trial is part of the initial regulatory process.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

There are no registered trials on clinicaltrials.gov with a Z-pak or combo arm, just hydroxychloroquine, Vit C, and placebo.  Maybe there is one that hasn't been registered yet, but I doubt that because registering the trial is part of the initial regulatory process.

Makes sense.  I know they’ve been used but no trials I’ve heard of and our group is pretty plugged in.  
Thanks for the site. I actually didn’t know about it.  Clinical trials would normally be out of our purview but these are interesting times... 

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Makes sense.  I know they’ve been used but no trials I’ve heard of and our group is pretty plugged in.  
Thanks for the site. I actually didn’t know about it.  Clinical trials would normally be out of our purview but these are interesting times... 

There's a lot of info there.  Basically, you get an abbreviated protocol synopsis, plus other key timing information.  Albeit when studies are in start-up or still recruiting, the info is just estimated.  COVID-19 studies will not be difficult to recruit patients.  Duh.

Ok, this fucking sucks. 

Europe's largest food market will begin storing coffins holding the bodies of people who have died from the coronavirus, as France's morticians struggle to keep up with the mounting death toll. 
The refrigerated hall of the wholesale food market Rungis, located in a southern suburb of Paris of the same name, has been taken over by city authorities to be used for this purpose, Paris police announced on Thursday. Rungis is the main food market in Paris and the largest wholesale market in Europe. 
The first coffins containing human remains will begin arriving at the hall on Friday. The building will accommodate between 800 and 1,000 coffins.

Meanwhile, the market will remain open and will continue selling food. 

https://www.dw.com/en/french-market-to-convert-refrigerated-hall-to-hold-coffins-of-coronavirus-dead/a-52999878

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Not airlines, but been flying pretty much nonstop for the past four years (Part 135 Charter flying).  Shit has been busy, at times overwhelming.  Since we’ve finally been given a schedule with days off about a year ago,  I’ve never been actually able to take all my days off without being called in to work on days off.  We did a humanitarian trip two weeks ago to pick up some Americans who were stranded in Honduras.  Been home every day since.  I’m afraid that’s probably the last trip I’ll ever do.

Veranda nursing home in Harlingen has had 9 cases of confirmed corona virus with patients and employees. An employee brought it into the facility and continued working, there are currently a total of 83 patients at the facility. This is going to get real real bad.

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Ok, this fucking sucks. 

Europe's largest food market will begin storing coffins holding the bodies of people who have died from the coronavirus, as France's morticians struggle to keep up with the mounting death toll. 
The refrigerated hall of the wholesale food market Rungis, located in a southern suburb of Paris of the same name, has been taken over by city authorities to be used for this purpose, Paris police announced on Thursday. Rungis is the main food market in Paris and the largest wholesale market in Europe. 
The first coffins containing human remains will begin arriving at the hall on Friday. The building will accommodate between 800 and 1,000 coffins.

https://www.dw.com/en/french-market-to-convert-refrigerated-hall-to-hold-coffins-of-coronavirus-dead/a-52999878

This Monty Python sketch immediately came to mind.  "We've got ahn eater !".

Unknown.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Tough but fair.

I posted about this previously.  They also banned the sale of alcohol. They do that during elections in an attempt to minimize killings although around 150 politicians get killed anyway.

I suspect they will extend the quarantine another month rather than let them expire on April 14 for Manila or the 12th for the rest of Luzon. That is a sure way to make sure there are protests and riots. I only go out in the morning now.

1 minute ago, RayDog said:

I posted about this previously.  They also banned the sale of alcohol. They do that during elections in an attempt to minimize killings although around 150 politicians get killed anyway.

I suspect they will extend the quarantine another month rather than let them expire on April 14 for Manila or the 12th for the rest of Luzon. That is a sure way to make sure there are protests and riots. I only go out in the morning now.

Keep yer head down... yer our man In Manilla right now.  Well maybe not actually Manilla,  but alliteration is always nice.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Not sure if posted already... Brazil has just ruled that a woman’s death on January 23rd was Covid-related. That’s a month before South America’s first confirmed case.

Guess some biological sample was preserved from the deceased woman's body and they only recently got back the results. Based on the article link below, it makes sense that this virus was hanging around Brazil much earlier than thought.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/apr/02/brazil-confirms-first-indigenous-case-of-coronavirus-in-amazon

It had to be around for some time before making its way deep into the rainforest.

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Ok, this fucking sucks. 

Not a popular opinion, but the world needs to move towards cremation. It simply does not make sense to continue burials and take up space for those who have died. In fact, there are more environmentally friendly ways to do it:

This is the link to the YouTube channel for the second video, "Ask a Mortician": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5iiEyLwSLvlqnMi02u5gQ

Her videos are pretty good, simultaneously educational and entertaining.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Can I just interject that ESPN just finished running the 2005 Rose Bowl and that if you dont agree that the University of Texas won the best college football game of all time that you can kiss my ass?

2006 Rose Bowl was better.

Fight me...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Not a popular opinion, but the world needs to move towards cremation. It simply does not make sense to continue burials and take up space for those who have died. In fact, there are more environmentally friendly ways to do it:

This is the link to the YouTube channel for the second video, "Ask a Mortician": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5iiEyLwSLvlqnMi02u5gQ

Her videos are pretty good, simultaneously educational and entertaining.

I’ve stressed to my wife many times that I want to be cremated. The cost of embalming, buying a casket and plot, and all other funeral services has gotten out of hand. It cost 20k to bury my father, who had already bought his burial plot long ago (and was not included in the 20k figure). Put my ass in a cardboard box, cremate me, and throw the ashes in a yeti bottle. Who honestly visits a gravesite often enough to make it worth the costs vs visiting a site where ashes were spread for free anyway? Not that I’m in the demographic, but I may have to remind her of that again just in case. 

This seems on track for the most part. Please report posts that have people just throwing shit at each other and I'll split those to a new thread to keep this clean. Being an asshole isn't against the rules, but for the sake of readability it's best to separate that out of this thread. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ok, here's the follow up I said I'd come back with... 

Chicago is staying on top of this.  Our major hospitals downtown don't have a ton of reserves with ventilators but the city overall has been great about shelter in home.  We were worried about the big rush after the St. Pat's parties on Saturday March 14th.  Orders went in place starting that Monday.  We are two weeks past that and holding up pretty well.  The big players downtown (NW/UC/UIC/Rush) really feel ready and it looks like instead of one giant peak we will get a 3-5 week period of increased needs but the capacity seems to be there.  Again, that's the current model but things could still go sideways. 

I know there's a pissing match on here between the doomsday group and those that think those people are morons.  The bottom line is if we didn't quarantine, the doomsday group would have been right.  But all of those people should be happy to be wrong.  I just hope we don't have a bunch of mouth breathers who are like 'durrrrrr, see I told you!!!'.  Be the bigger man.  And if those people are, in fact, all over the place...I could give zero fucks.  Because it's obvious at this point science is winning the war with messaging.  Now, we're not winning every battle...see some ignorant governors etc.  But the overall war is going to science. 

All the 'well go ahead and cancel everything...haha, that won't happen because economy this and that'.  Sorry, you were wrong - pretty much everything was shut down.  Look at the states with no stay at home order.  They're the who's who of dumbest motherfuckers in America...

For a sooner you're a pretty A-ok guy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hozz said:

It seems like most people in this thread think the death rate of mostly elderly, already sick with one or more chronic conditions, is far worse than losing 10 million jobs in two weeks from a 165 million man labor force.  We got people predicting 250K dead by Summer...how many people are out of work by then?  30 million?  That is unprecedented in that short of a time period.  40 million out of work puts us in Great Depression territory which took place over a decade.

This one size fits all shut everything down now thinking is short sighted and ineffective.  The 'experts' have been wrong on their casualty numbers (The guy Rogan had on mid March talking about 500K dead US by July, where is that guy now?), can someone link to anyone that has been remotely accurate?

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stinkpalm said:

I’ve stressed to my wife many times that I want to be cremated. The cost of embalming, buying a casket and plot, and all other funeral services has gotten out of hand. It cost 20k to bury my father, who had already bought his burial plot long ago (and was not included in the 20k figure). Put my ass in a cardboard box, cremate me, and throw the ashes in a yeti bottle. Who honestly visits a gravesite often enough to make it worth the costs vs visiting a site where ashes were spread for free anyway? Not that I’m in the demographic, but I may have to remind her of that again just in case. 

I always wanted to be buried just in an unmarked grave somewhere, in a plain wood casket. Let nature decompose me, and put my energy back into the ecosystem. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Short answer is it's unproven and may do more harm than good.

Ive seen this mentioned only a handful of time now but if there’s been more details I’ve missed it. How exactly has the hydrocholonique done more harm than good? I’ve seen side effects mentioned but they seem like no big deal. So whats the downside here? Because I haven’t seen shit. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Is it too political to tell said hospital executive to go fuck himself?

to be fair, 3 patients (up to 20 after article was posted) is literally a joke. NY State has about +19,000 - if we use population percentages (NYC has about 44% of the NY population) that means that NYC has about 8,360 ER visits per day on an average day. 

the ship took 20. that comes out to 0.239% of NYC's average daily ER visits. it is a ship with 1000 beds and 1200 crew members. 

here is why: 

On top of its strict rules preventing people infected with the virus from coming on board, the Navy is also refusing to treat a host of other conditions. Guidelines disseminated to hospitals included a list of 49 medical conditions that would exclude a patient from admittance to the ship.

Ambulances cannot take patients directly to the Comfort; they must first deliver patients to a city hospital for a lengthy evaluation — including a test for the virus — and then pick them up again for transport to the ship.

lol here are Dowling's quotes/comments about him from the article. tl;dr both he is right (it is a joke for taking that few patients) and the ship's protocols are right (terrified about getting coronavirus patients since the beds/"bunked cots" are likely much closer than other beds based on the initial build out/reason/need for the ship)

that said, Dowling isn't some clown. profesor at Fordman, 7 years as state director of NY's version of HHSC, CEO of Northwell for 18 years. Northwell is like 23 hospitals per wiki, 6500+ hospital/LTAC beds, 18k affiliated physicians. it's huge. it takes a LOT for someone at that level to get that worked up, they are getting crushed.

“If I’m blunt about it, it’s a joke,” said Michael Dowling, the head of Northwell Health, New York’s largest hospital system. “Everyone can say, ‘Thank you for putting up these wonderful places and opening up these cavernous halls.’ But we’re in a crisis here, we’re in a battlefield.”

Mr. Dowling said he has had to tear his hospitals apart, retrofitting any unused space, including lobbies and conference rooms, into hospital wards. His facilities now house 2,800 so-called Covid patients, up from 100 on March 20, he said. About 25 percent of those are in serious conditions in intensive care units.

Ultimately, Mr. Dowling and others said, if the Comfort refuses to take Covid patients, there are few patients to send. And given the pernicious spread of the disease in New York City, where nearly 50,000 were infected as of Thursday, dividing patients into those who have it and those who do not is pointless, he said.

The solution, he and others said, was to open the Comfort to patients with Covid-19.

“It’s pretty ridiculous,” he said. “If you’re not going to help us with the people we need help with, what’s the purpose?”

Edited by NoName
  • Like 2

@NoName --that is terrifying. I understand the COVID fear in close quarters, but if everybody is dying, it's just a big empty boat afloat for nothing.

8 hours ago, LABEVO said:

Ah, Lubbock. The big zit on the acne map. If you go to the JHU map and zoom in on Texas, pretty easy to see how the virus follows the highways as travelers for work and pleasure spread the virus from town to town.

My wife and I are having some more serious conversations about me moving out after my departments 6th positive. One of my daughters is immunodeficient - not severe, but enough to cause concern- so we are considering the logistics. Definitely going to fucking suck. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Ah, Lubbock. The big zit on the acne map. If you go to the JHU map and zoom in on Texas, pretty easy to see how the virus follows the highways as travelers for work and pleasure spread the virus from town to town.

Your Texas geography skills are lacking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away