Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

@NoName --that is terrifying. I understand the COVID fear in close quarters, but if everybody is dying, it's just a big empty boat afloat for nothing.

from the same NYT article:

Late Thursday, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo of New York reached an agreement with Mr. Trump to bring Covid patients to the Javits Convention Center in Manhattan, another alternative site operated by the military, with 2,500 hospital beds.

“I asked President Trump this morning to consider the request and the urgency of the matter, and the President has just informed me that he granted New York’s request,” Mr. Cuomo said in a statement.

they opened another 2500 beds to be "non coronavirus" beds for NYC but Cuomo requested that change and it happened - maybe it will here? doubt it but...

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Ah, Lubbock. The big zit on the acne map. If you go to the JHU map and zoom in on Texas, pretty easy to see how the virus follows the highways as travelers for work and pleasure spread the virus from town to town.

Last I checked, Lubbock didn't border New Mexico.

I’ve been holding out with hope that the lack of coronavirus spreading widely in South America or Africa was due to the temperature/humidity theory. Then I see some videos of Ecuador in crisis even though their official numbers are very low. And these are cities where it’s still 90 degrees.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve been holding out with hope that the lack of coronavirus spreading widely in South America or Africa was due to the temperature/humidity theory. Then I see some videos of Ecuador in crisis even though their official numbers are very low. And these are cities where it’s still 90 degrees.

The Ecuador shit on reddit is zombie apocalypse/end of times level shit. 

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I saw that video from Ecuador, the one with bodies lying in the streets.  The disconnect between what is happening on the ground and what the country is reporting is astounding.  

3 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

I’m assuming it’s been mentioned they now think it’s airborne, or at least spread by simply talking and breathing, we just got word to prepare for a directive to wear masks at all times while in the public.

Well, I know what everyone is getting in their Halloween bags, and Christmas stockings this year....

5 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

I’m assuming it’s been mentioned they now think it’s airborne, or at least spread by simply talking and breathing, we just got word to prepare for a directive to wear masks at all times while in the public.

I've seen several claim that pure airborne transmission requires sustained proximity, like 15-20 mins

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LABEVO said:

I don’t understand what the two have to do with each other. If it was spread rate vs transit, that maybe makes sense. But death rate?  That’s going to be based off a different demographic. 

Southern Louisiana, for example, has a ton of obesity, diabetes, and it hit old folk’s home hard. Not to mention, they hosted Mardis Gras, Spring Break, St Paddy’s Day, numerous conventions, docking of cruises, and tourism. 

None of which has anything to do with driving in a car alone. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The temp/humidity theory for CV19 never had any data or evidence to support it. I wish folks wouldn't keep pinning their hopes to completely unsupported theories

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

The temp/humidity theory for CV19 never had any data or evidence to support it. I wish folks wouldn't keep pinning their hopes to completely unsupported theories

You should pass this nugget on to the UT  basketball and football threads...

5 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I don’t understand what the two have to do with each other. If it was spread rate vs transit, that maybe makes sense. But death rate?  That’s going to be based off a different demographic. 

Southern Louisiana, for example, has a ton of obesity, diabetes, and it hit old folk’s home hard. Not to mention, they hosted Mardis Gras, Spring Break, St Paddy’s Day, numerous conventions, docking of cruises, and tourism. 

Yeah it's like the guy is trying to make a case that mass transit just as safe as driving in a car alone during all of this. Which is retarded. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah it's like the guy is trying to make a case that mass transit just as safe as driving in a car alone during all of this. Which is retarded. 

Clearly pushing an agenda that is weirdly disconnected from the data.  Like most other graphs being generated for this thing, /ignore

Just now, NorthLoop said:

There there have been a lot of wacky maps targeting the South the last few days. And some funny rebuttals. 

This tweet originally said just “One word...The South”

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Source?

This is misleading. It’s the same stuff we saw this week about increased space it can travel when sneezed, as well as how long it can hang in the air under perfect conditions. And honestly, the duration in the air isn’t much different than what we saw a month ago in some videos and tests. Saying “it’s gone airborne” summons Outbreak level panic and thinking, like if someone said Ebola went airborne. That’s a game changer. In reality, not THAT much has changed. Don’t leave your home and wear a mask, because guess what you can breathe it in same as before, which is why airplanes suck right now. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

Why is it all blurry? Makes me question the legitimacy.. The Nebraska study it cites, is that new? Weeks ago we knew that it could aerosolize for 2-3 hours

3 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

There there have been a lot of wacky maps targeting the South the last few days. And some funny rebuttals. 

This tweet originally said just “One word...The South”

Yes. Definitely listen to Barrett Sallee on medical issues. Can we get Paul Finebaum on like one to tell us what’s what with pandemics and diseases next? 

That being said, when Greenspoint sees a non medical source positing that grocery stores are the single largest spreader of this disease his ejaculste is going to blow the roof off his townhouse. If the air traffic wasn’t so drastically reduced the FAA would have to be on high alert. 

• Like 1

This is misleading. It’s the same stuff we saw this week about increased space it can travel when sneezed, as well as how long it can hang in the air under perfect conditions. And honestly, the duration in the air isn’t much different than what we saw a month ago in some videos and tests. Saying “it’s gone airborne” summons Outbreak level panic and thinking, like if someone said Ebola went airborne. That’s a game changer. In reality, not THAT much has changed. Don’t leave your home and wear a mask, because guess what you can breathe it in same as before, which is why airplanes suck right now. 

My apologies no intention at all to cause panic, to me at least the study indicates an elevated risk from before, but to what extent? I do agree with you that aspect is unknown, to me as a healthcare provider it doesn’t make a difference however it does seem to have raises some alarm bells at least within our organization regarding the ease of transmission. I’m not afraid of it, I’ve been exposed and I’ve seen it, my only true fear is bringing it home to my 75 year old mother who lives with us as she has pretty much all of the risk factors. Our department has been fairly lax so far on this regarding preventative measures, if they’re suggesting masks while in public it’s not an overreaction , I have to think the concern of increased risk is coming from a credible source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6 hours ago, Stinkpalm said:

Put my ass in a cardboard box, cremate me, and throw the ashes in a yeti bottle.

Why waste a perfectly good cardboard box like that? And have you seen the price of a yeti?! I might have to start drinking out of coffins.

Edited by KYHorn
  • Haha 1

Why is it all blurry? Makes me question the legitimacy.. The Nebraska study it cites, is that new? Weeks ago we knew that it could aerosolize for 2-3 hours

The scary thing is our first patient who came up positive was on a nebulizer, it wasn’t until the following week they put out guidelines on how much aerosolized medications increase the exposure risk, MCHD is no longer giving nebulizers to suspected Covid patients, they have gone to inhaler based medication administration
  • Like 1

Just now, BrickTop said:

My apologies no intention at all to cause panic, to me at least the study indicates an elevated risk from before, but to what extent? I do agree with you that aspect is unknown, to me as a healthcare provider it doesn’t make a difference however it does seem to have raises some alarm bells at least within our organization regarding the ease of transmission. I’m not afraid of it, I’ve been exposed and I’ve seen it, my only true fear is bringing it home to my 75 year old mother who lives with us as she has pretty much all of the risk factors. Our department has been fairly lax so far on this regarding preventative measures, if they’re suggesting masks while in public it’s not an overreaction , I have to think the concern of increased risk is coming from a credible source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wasnt trying to criticize you man. Just drawing a differentiation because I think it’s important. Not everyone can keep up with this thread in real time to digest all the info. I basically take every other day off. 

wearing masks is a credible source. It’s come from the president himself. The change is that a sneeze can blow it 20 feet, not 6 feet, and it can hang in the air for half an hour same as before. You can get it by jogging through a cloud, same as before. So yeah. Be careful and wear a mask. 

50 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Your Texas geography skills are lacking. 

I'm sure they are. West Texas and that area is a large unknown to me. My dad was born in Amarillo and all I know is it is somewhere between Dallas and Denver. I should probably rectify that. I did get to drive through El Paso on my way to California two years ago. Beautiful city.

23 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Clearly pushing an agenda that is weirdly disconnected from the data.  Like most other graphs being generated for this thing, /ignore

It is a pretty interesting map though as long as you're not trying to use it to push some random dumbfuck agenda. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I always wanted to be buried just in an unmarked grave somewhere, in a plain wood casket. Let nature decompose me, and put my energy back into the ecosystem. 

I've always wanted to be drawn and quartered at the World of Tennis, with my head put on a pike at Mansfield Dam and my testicles sent to be jarred and displayed at El Patio. Childhood dream of mine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

It is a pretty interesting map though as long as you're not trying to use it to push some random dumbfuck agenda. 

Yeah that's fair enough.  Agreed.  It's a graph that could, and should, be used to capture other insights. 

Edited by utee94

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

wearing masks is a credible source. It’s come from the president himself.

Call me crazy, but I'd cite the medical experts who have a good record with factual information over the president when citing authoritative sources. 

Edit: negged for suggesting listening to medical experts over a politician for medical information. Never change, surly. 

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 19

Florida gonna Florida.  After a splashy press conference were the Governor finally issued a state wide "Safer at home" order...  The Governor quietly signed a second order weakening cities and counties existing orders.

tl/dr   Governor limits local counties and cities ability to determine shelter in place rules and identify essential businesses.   Only the state order, which is significantly weaker than those already in place in the most effected counties, can be enforced.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-desantis-second-order-local-impact-20200403-sipn6s23tfc73motnyoz3j562y-story.html

Religious gatherings
The well-publicized order on Wednesday exempted religious services. Combined with the effects of the second, unpublicized order, the effect could be that the large religious gatherings banned in many communities by local shutdown orders — and which led to the arrest of a Tampa-area megachurch pastor — might be allowed again.

“For many people, connecting with a faith community is understandably important at a time like this. With that said, the coronavirus is just as dangerous and infectious whether you are in a community center or a church or synagogue," Frankel said. “One infected person has the ability to set off a chain of events that can overwhelm a healthcare system. Sadly, we have already seen that catastrophic impact in South Korea and France, where massive religious gatherings left thousands of worshipers infected."

At the news conference, DeSantis said, “I don’t think government has the authority to close churches, and I’m certainly not going to do that.”

Just in time for Easter!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's been sunny and touching 90* in S Florida for weeks.  Just got our first cold front in a while so the high is ONLY going to be 80* today.   Warm weather may slow it, but it sure doesn't stop it.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away