Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Assman said:

These stay at home orders aren't going to amount for shit until retail/home improvement/other shopping entities start making changes.  People are getting bored at home and just walking around stores for hours and that isn't going to stop the spread.  I realize shit happens and you might need a pipe fitting in a pinch, but you shouldn't be allow to browse the fabric aisle at Hobby Lobby just because you're tired of home schooling your kids. 

They should completely shut down all "non-essential" retail now, and "essential" stores need to limit the amount of people in the store at one time.  This would not only limit close contact, but would discourage people from leaving the house just to browse.  Grocery stores would be the only exemption from this.

Agreed. I've been impressed with what I'm seeing in my area. I haven't been to the grocery store in weeks, but driving by, its apparent they're not fucking around. Only allowing small groups in at a time. The rest wait in line outside 6 feet apart. In the store, they have regular breaks to sanitize equipment and change masks and gloves.

Russia - Bullshit Numbers Update

Russia Population: 144.5 million

Confirmed: 4,149
Deaths: 34

For comparison

Norway Population: 5.368 million

Confirmed: 5,296
Deaths: 57

Ireland Population: 4.83 million

Confirmed: 4,273
Deaths: 120

Sweden Population: 10.12 million

Confirmed: 6,131
Deaths: 358

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Is it over? What’d he say? We’re kicking this things ass

He said thank God for Florida and Louisiana for providing such incompetence in this crisis that his states shitty response and leadership does not look as glaringly bad by comparison as it would in isolation.

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

I always wanted to be buried just in an unmarked grave somewhere, in a plain wood casket. Let nature decompose me, and put my energy back into the ecosystem. 

We could go full Zoroastrian and build "Towers of Silence." 

When you die in that faith, they hoist your body on a platform and let the vultures have at you.

800px-Tower_of_Silence,_Mumbai_12.JPG

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I've mentioned these several times but didn't put a link. These are also available from REI and probably from other sports stores.

Buff Men's CoolNet UV+ Texas Multifunctional Headwear | Academy
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/buff-mens-coolnet-uv-texas-multifunctional-headwear

20280552.jpeg.53c0017db41cfd5ecc29de639e1a355e.jpeg

what.  is that.  i've never seen one worn in public.  you trying to look like a human pitching wedge?

8 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Maybe it’s a matter of varying definitions but hasn’t a certain percentage of the population already proven they have immunity?

There's been a handful of cases where people that had recovered from CV19 later contracted it again. And we don't know for certain that once you recover that you'll have immunity, just that your body will already know how to produce antibodies to fight it. 

Currently due to the lack of testing (and antibody testing at scale) it's unclear if those cases are actual recovery, or a false-negative followed by another positive test

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

what.  is that.  i've never seen one worn in public.  you trying to look like a human pitching wedge?

It’s is called a gaiter. Lots of fishermen wear them for sun protection. Also have insulation ones for cold weather. 

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

There's been a handful of cases where people that had recovered from CV19 later contracted it again. And we don't know for certain that once you recover that you'll have immunity, just that your body will already know how to produce antibodies to fight it. 

Currently due to the lack of testing (and antibody testing at scale) it's unclear if those cases are actual recovery, or a false-negative followed by another positive test

I’m referring to the asymptotic cases, people who fought this off without ever realizing they had it.

8 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Maybe it’s a matter of varying definitions but hasn’t a certain percentage of the population already proven they have immunity?

I won't argue the matter of semantics on "immunity" but will point out that of the 28 young healthy UT students who came back from the Spring Break trip, only four were showing no symptoms.

Assuming the latest Census estimates are accurate, if:

• 1 percent of the US population were to die, that'd be 3.3 million Americans
  • .5% = 1.65 million
  • .1% = 330k
  • .05% = 165k

And, please, note NONE of the above are my predictions - I was only talking about the potential to kill hundreds of thousands and about how there's a group of individuals out there, and some on this thread, who have been arguing (some still are) that this will be no worse than the very severe flu season two years ago.

Personally, I'm listening to the smartest and most experienced healthcare professionals out there to take this thing seriously, and I'm heartened to see that most on this board are also taking these drastic steps. But, in that post, I was expressing my frustration to CTJ that I felt he had not been showing equal scorn to both the "doomsdayers" and the hold-out "naysayers" although the latter group has been getting quieter lately.

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I won't argue the matter of semantics on "immunity" but will point out that of the 28 young healthy UT students who came back from the Spring Break trip, only four were showing no symptoms.

• .5% = 1.65 million
  • .1% = 330k
  • .05% = 165k

And, please, note NONE of the above are my predictions - I was only talking about the potential to kill hundreds of thousands and about how there's a group of individuals out there, and some on this thread, who have been arguing (some still are) that this will be no worse than the very severe flu season two years ago.

Personally, I'm listening to the smartest and most experienced healthcare professionals out there to take this thing seriously, and I'm heartened to see that most on this board are also taking these drastic steps. But, in that post, I was expressing my frustration to CTJ that I felt he had not been showing equal scorn to both the "doomsdayers" and the hold-out "naysayers" although the latter group has been getting quieter lately.

I’m not arguing the potential severity of this pandemic. The UT students are a small sample group compared to the data which was provided by South Korea?, I think it was. It’s possible their week long blackout drunkenness had something to do with the large numbers of these spring breakers showing symptoms.

1 hour ago, Thetexashammer said:

How did he help his sailors? I'm saying I don't think he did anything except sink himself. Now someone who doesn't care is in charge. And he embarrassed the Navy.

well he got himself off the ship...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Nuke it in the microwave

Most have a metal nose peices so that's no bueno. I have two and spray them down with Everclear and let dry. I've only been out roughly once a week.

Gotcha. My wife runs her dad's dental practice and she brought home a handful of masks for us and none of these have any metal involved.

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

I’m not arguing the potential severity of this pandemic. The UT students are a small sample group compared to the data which was provided by South Korea?, I think it was. It’s possible their week long blackout drunkenness had something to do with the large numbers of these spring breakers showing symptoms.

I know that and was just providing a single "close to home" data point as one example. I honestly don't know what share of those who get it are truly asymptomatic, but it still sounds like it puts a whole shitload of folks on the ropes for weeks. Once this all blows over, I'm sure there will mass volumes of data that can be poured/argued over ad nauseum.

19 minutes ago, bolverk said:

• .5% = 1.65 million
  • .1% = 330k
  • .05% = 165k

who's not taking this seriously?

• Like 1

How did he help his sailors? I'm saying I don't think he did anything except sink himself. Now someone who doesn't care is in charge. And he embarrassed the Navy.

Didn't they get docked and start getting these guys off the ship? Thought I saw a video where the sailors were all cheering the captain on the dock.

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 1

He put a spotlight on the Navy and now they are under public scrutiny in how they handle the Roosevelt, that is how he helped.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, F250 said:

He put a spotlight on the Navy and now they are under public scrutiny in how they handle the Roosevelt, that is how he helped.

No doubt this looks bad.   He shouldn’t have had to make that public cry for help.  However, it can be argued that it also makes the US look militarily vulnerable at a point in time where it would be highly undesirable to militarily vulnerable.  I guess that’s the thinking behind the actions.  

51 minutes ago, Captainant said:

So what’s you point?   If someone has had it and was asymptomatic and then has antibodies can possibly get it again but the second time even though they have antibodies that they will experience different/greater symptoms or become very sick or the second time?  Seems as though once someone has antibodies and by all accounts most experience very little to no symptoms(80%?) and were to get it again their experience would be the same. They would be asymptomatic.   

Edited by stork642
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

It's crazy, I listened to our bank president walk the employees through a training module about how to now spot people trying to rob the bank versus old people just coming in for regular banking.  What a fucking weird time.  I'm scared to make vice president, but I must do it for the people. 

Isn't making Vice President typically a demotion at a bank?

• Like 3

I’ve been holding out with hope that the lack of coronavirus spreading widely in South America or Africa was due to the temperature/humidity theory. Then I see some videos of Ecuador in crisis even though their official numbers are very low. And these are cities where it’s still 90 degrees.
I think there has to be a consideration for levels of healthcare quality and poverty levels. It can be hot in Haiti and it would go crazy there. It won't just be temperature, but it might help in areas that have the level to deal with it.

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

That’s great and all but anyone can get it walking to and from the stadium, at a restaurant after the game, stopping at a convenience store the next day.  At some point unless we are all still quarantined there are too many variables and we need to move on with life with the inherent risks of infection.  By September we will have better known treatments, antibody tests, and I’m guessing (just my opinion) a totally different environment around this issue.  We still will need to take it seriously of course but at some point people will get fed up with overwhelming precaution and decide to live life and deal with the new risks going forward.  

Stadiums will not be full in September. Justified or not, it simply isn't happening. 

8 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Isn't making Vice President typically a demotion at a bank?

Not when I could be associate vice president.  Huge step up, dude.  And talk of my own parking space.  So yeah, kind of a big deal...know your titles dude!

Also, this is just awesome news about Texas' own HEB:

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200403/rsquoyoursquore-amazingrsquo-mark-wahlberg-thanks-h-e-b-workers-during-coronavirus-pandemic

Even Marky Mark recognizes that we started planning ahead as a state back in January.  May have had something to do with that the very name of the fucking disease had 2019 in it.  No CR because it's just the name of the virus and the year we found out about it.  But look forward to the tacit racism.

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Not when I could be associate vice president.  Huge step up, dude.  And talk of my own parking space.  So yeah, kind of a big deal...know your business! 

assistant to the assistant night manager!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

It’s is called a gaiter. Lots of fishermen wear them for sun protection. Also have insulation ones for cold weather. 

I'm not talkin' about pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' about workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' about sharkin'.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Not when I could be associate vice president.  Huge step up, dude.  And talk of my own parking space.  So yeah, kind of a big deal...know your business! 

The Sr Vice President would like to see you in his office, but you’ll have to wait for him to get off his BOD call. 

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

The Sr Vice President would like to see you in his office, but you’ll have to wait for him to get off his BOD call. 

Shit, really?  Fine, let me organize the deposit slips first and I'll get over there.  

7 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Stadiums will not be full in September. Justified or not, it simply isn't happening. 

well this is going to be a problem.  if we can burn NY/NJ can we just get on with it?  its not like they really matter for football.  I guess we'd have to save the beaneaters.

20 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

No doubt this looks bad.   He shouldn’t have had to make that public cry for help.  However, it can be argued that it also makes the US look militarily vulnerable at a point in time where it would be highly undesirable to militarily vulnerable.  I guess that’s the thinking behind the actions.  

I have friends that know and have served with the former CO.  For this to have happened shit is really fucked up at the SecNav level.  It is a shit show. No one worth a shit wants the leadership roles in the current climate.  

• Like 3

Just now, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I have friends that know and have served with the former CO.  For this to have happened shit is really fucked up at the SecNav level.  It is a shit show. No one worth a shit wants the leadership roles in the current climate.  

I hear you.  I’m merely laying out a Devil’s Advocate observation.   Gotta keep my mind limber among the daytime vodkas and occasional phone calls. 

Great, I'm male, have a chronic lung condition, and I'm old.  If I start running a fever I'm just going to go out in the garage, crank up the generator, and settle into a lawn chair with a tall glass of bourbon.  Least I can do is to save a ventilator for someone with a chance

Or in other words, a pretty typical Saturday night for me.

Massachusetts releases this documentation daily of the prior day: https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-cases-in-massachusetts-as-of-april-3-2020/download

It is kind of fascinating to look at, particularly the documentation of the deaths. The blunt reality is that the people dying from this are old and already fucked up. There was a woman in her 30s yesterday that was on the list, but she had pre-existing conditions. There were a few in their 50s today, with preexisting conditions. It's pretty easy to look at prior days by tweaking the URL accordingly.

I think many other places are simply starting to avoid disclosing the death details. I understand why. It causes one to quickly start saying "fuck this shit, keep the olds and seriously ill youngers sheltering in place, but I'd like to get back to work or go see some friends and have a nice seafood dinner and then never call each other gain". Or something.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

latest?cb=20170626225717

You will respect my authority.  When I make Assistant Vice President, then you can make your wisecracks.  /humblebrag.

Massachusetts releases this documentation daily of the prior day: https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-cases-in-massachusetts-as-of-april-3-2020/download
It is kind of fascinating to look at, particularly the documentation of the deaths. The blunt reality is that the people dying from this are old and already fucked up. There was a woman in her 30s yesterday that was on the list, but she had pre-existing conditions. There were a few in their 50s today, with preexisting conditions. It's pretty easy to look at prior days by tweaking the URL accordingly.
I think many other places are simply starting to avoid disclosing the death details. I understand why. It causes one to quickly start saying "fuck this shit, keep the olds and seriously ill youngers sheltering in place, but I'd like to get back to work or go see some friends and have a nice seafood dinner and then never call each other gain". Or something.

Saw this the other day too a29143638521e24a2e14aefb7c76d27c.jpg

Its a few thousand deaths ago for NY but you get the gist of it

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

LOL.

This reaction is an embarrassment?

The entire international community is applauding him for doing what a Captain should for the service men and women under his command. It's a damn shame that Crozier had to take drastic measures to get a response from the higher chain of command.

And on another note, his move really doesn't destabilize American security. Even at this moment, no hostile nation dares to try attacking us. We still have the strongest military in the world and if our service men and women can stay healthy, we'll remain the strongest. Thank you for doing the right thing, Captain Crozier.

Yes, that was his intent. It was to embarrass the Navy into doing the right thing. What he did was insubordination, none of this is up for debate, the only question is whether it was worth it.

Edited by Thetexashammer

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away