Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, Hate said:

I really want to know what they thinks makes one a heavy drinker.

do you drink

a. more than 2 alcoholic drinks(glass of wine, 2 oz shot, one beer) a day

b. more than 2 alcoholic drinks a week

c. more than 15 alcoholic drinks during a Texas men's basketball game

If "a" you are a heavy drinker if "b" or "c" you are fine

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

damn. f'ed up.

bus driver, Jason Hargrove, video describing a woman coughing on his bus w/out covering her mouth,.

Glenn Tolbert, president of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 26, said Hargrove started feeling ill March 25, four days after the incident on his bus, and died a week later.

10 minutes ago, Hate said:

I really want to know what they thinks makes one a heavy drinker.

Further, is that actually being defined as one of the pre-existing conditions? Across the world? Across all states and cities? Not at all? Also, we don't want or need the answer to your question, sir.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Saw this the other day too a29143638521e24a2e14aefb7c76d27c.jpg

Its a few thousand deaths ago for NY but you get the gist of it

I do enjoy beating on this drum.  As I have been saying, if you make the list of "underlying conditions" sufficiently broad (they "include..."), you get these kinds of numbers. More so if you define the conditions themselves equally broadly.  What percent of US men are, without meds, technically "hypertensive?"  That's anyone 120/81 or 121/80 or higher.

And WTF is "underlying conditions pending?"  Does that mean "we know we'll find one, we're just not done looking?"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

do you drink

a. more than 2 alcoholic drinks(glass of wine, 2 oz shot, one beer) a day

b. more than 2 alcoholic drinks a week

c. more than 15 alcoholic drinks during a Texas men's basketball game

If "a" you are a heavy drinker if "b" or "c" you are fine

D. All of the above?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I know the questions my doc typically asks about my drinking.  The short answer is that you are a heavy drinker.

I had to switch docs and we got to the "habits" part of the appointment. 

"Do you smoke?"  "No."

"Do you drink?"  "Yes."

"Do you drink occasionally or most every day?"  "Oh, almost every day."

<surprised look>

"Do you consume 2 or more drinks every day?"  <laughter on my part>  "Uh, yeah, probably twice that most days and more on weekends."

At that point he just kind of stared at me and say something like "you know, I think I actually believe you, which is extremely rare when I ask these questions."

"Hey doc, don't forget to run the liver test."

• Like 5

Outside of a few small states, most of the new contagion numbers are in. New cases is slightly up day over day. I expect the evening NY numbers to drive the total daily death toll over Wednesday's high of 1047, and probably into 1100-1300 territory. Basically, the numbers being up or down day over day at this point are driving by reporting from NY and NJ. Plenty of other states went lower day over day or the change was not meaningful. Only a few others went way up besides NY. 

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I assume you know I understand that, from both of us being in this thread for so long, if nothing else. My post wasn't saying "that's what we should do" but saying "It's a human thing that this thought is going to occur with more data like this that we're seeing."

I think the most frustrating part to this globally for me is the lack of actual information pertaining to how pre-existing conditions are being defined, and how much they should be weighted. I don't think anyone has even attempted to do anything around this subject but offer vagueries and platitudes. That's here in the US, and that's everywhere overseas. I assume it's not agenda-driven, but simply really hard to pin down. That said, if someone is observing the accounting of a death and they assign "pre-existing condition" to the death, they have to know what that condition(s) is, right? Then it could be classified from the bottom up and by now there would be numerous data scientists running math on it and better informing the global public and governments.

Here are perceived "pre-existing conditions" from news and links posted merely from this thread:

-HBP - just generally? or only untreated?

-Heart disease - like real heart disease with a diagnosis, not clickbait saying half the country is dying right now from heart disease silliness

-Obesity - are we talking being a fatty? having a dad bod? or 350lb-gravy-crusted-body-being-hoisted-out-of-your-concrete-supported-recliner-by-a-crane obese? 

-Smoker

-Heavy drinker

-Asthma

-Drug addiction - is this weed (smoking? edibles?), coke, opioids, what?

-Cancer survivor

I'm highly confident I'm forgetting a few. Then, there are the rumors and unknowns around the following:

-Blood type - is A worse than the others? Is O far better?

-Pollution in a given population

-Taking ACE receptors

-Cultural behaviors - greeting with bows vs kisses and hugs vs handshakes

-Population density

-Generational stacking - some places have up to 4 generations living in close quarters with one another in the family residence vs the US where anything resembling that is unusual

It would seem paramount to someone, somewhere in leadership around the globe to be solving for these in some form, right? I mean, let's say somewhere like Germany, which has a relatively open media source (I assume but pay enough attention to know if that's false so fact check) and notoriously methodical as a population. Could they not be releasing very specific information around this to the world? I don't get it. 

There are ASA ratings that should be used for evaluating risk:

ASA I A normal healthy patient
ASA II A patient with mild systemic disease
ASA III A patient with severe systemic disease
ASA IV A patient with severe systemic disease that is a constant threat to life
  • Like 2

Probably shouldn’t rely on anything this guys says because there is no way we will have a vaccine by July.   This is a ridiculous conclusion.    

A Tyvek suit and face mask for 4 quarters in September sounds like a bitch but I’m willing to give it a try.
  • Like 1

Outside of a few small states, most of the new contagion numbers are in. New cases is slightly up day over day. I expect the evening NY numbers to drive the total daily death toll over Wednesday's high of 1047, and probably into 1100-1300 territory. Basically, the numbers being up or down day over day at this point are driving by reporting from NY and NJ. Plenty of other states went lower day over day or the change was not meaningful. Only a few others went way up besides NY. 

Just heard Lester Holt say on NBC Nightly News that there are over 500 deaths in New York in the last day, the deadliest yet.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Would you like to serve under a commanding officer who would put doing the right thing and your safety above his career?  I would.

what do you think?

Edited by F250
wrong forum

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I had to switch docs and we got to the "habits" part of the appointment. 

"Do you smoke?"  "No."

"Do you drink?"  "Yes."

"Do you drink occasionally or most every day?"  "Oh, almost every day."

<surprised look>

"Do you consume 2 or more drinks every day?"  <laughter on my part>  "Uh, yeah, probably twice that most days and more on weekends."

At that point he just kind of stared at me and say something like "you know, I think I actually believe you, which is extremely rare when I ask these questions."

"Hey doc, don't forget to run the liver test."

Unrelated (I think) to everything going on recently, I have been to see a doctor more frequently than normal over the past few months...

"Hey, I'm just going to be honest with you--let's not recommend/prescribe anything that would cause concern about liver function. Just looking out for us both...."

44 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ive administered anesthesia on about 12,000 people over the past decade. Maybe 50 people or so did not have a single pre-existing condition. The pre-existing conditions argument can be debated for days

I had no idea you were an anesthesiologist.  Now I’m thinking of all the procedures I’m been through and always thought I hope this person(anesthesiologists) is having a good day and doesn’t kill me.  I’m looking for a “glass half full”  type if you know what I mean.  I never dreamed there’s a “we’re all fucked” guy doing these procedures.  Now I'll really be nervous the next time.  

Edited by stork642

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

There are ASA ratings that should be used for evaluating risk:

ASA I A normal healthy patient
ASA II A patient with mild systemic disease
ASA III A patient with severe systemic disease
ASA IV A patient with severe systemic disease that is a constant threat to life

Lol this is actually what i was referencing. ASA 1’s are pretty much unicorns these days. They dont exist

I'll say this about drinking and immune systems. From age 20 to about 33, I drank like a fish every day. And I never got sick one single time in those 13 years. Not one cold, nothing. 

Since then I've toned it down a fuckton, and guess what? I get sick like 4x a year now. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol this is actually what i was referencing. ASA 1’s are pretty much unicorns these days. They dont exist

It is actually better than it use to be. Smoking automatically puts someone in ASA II. From the 50s through the 70s, about 45% of the population smoked. Today, only 20% of the population smokes.

6 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I'll say this about drinking and immune systems. From age 20 to about 33, I drank like a fish every day. And I never got sick one single time in those 13 years. Not one cold, nothing. 

Since then I've toned it down a fuckton, and guess what? I get sick like 4x a year now. 

You were too drunk to notice before.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

You're older now and things you did when you were younger have a way with catching up to you.

Alcohol depressing one's immunity system...it is known.

EDIT: From a lay website for the non premeds.

https://www.recoveryways.com/rehab-blog/how-does-alcohol-affect-your-immune-system/

Edited by UDontKnow

18 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Just heard Lester Holt say on NBC Nightly News that there are over 500 deaths in New York in the last day, the deadliest yet.

Yeah, I should have said I was using worldometers as the source. The numbers they provide wind up a little weird for a single day because they use Greenwich time and we’re going off of our own timeframes when the media is reporting. Worldometers had 505 for NY on Wednesday, then low 300 yesterday, and opened today with 397. They count morning and evening updates for NY, so my post was assuming another 100-250 being added in an hour or so with the evening update. Might be lower if he’s saying 500 total though. 

11 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I’m going to guess that kids and daycare or school are involved from 33 on. For me, I have a chronic ear ache issue associated to a football injury so frequent air travel always made me sick in my 20’s. Then had kids in my 30’s and it made getting sick with ear aches look like a cakewalk. I’ve had strands of strep at least 10 times and all kinds of other shit including hand, foot, and mouth because of little kids bringing shit home. Ironically, I’m hoping that is part of what helps with this new virus. 

Assuming this happens:

I haven't been in the recruiting threads, but I assume they're talking about how new recruiting classes will be implemented into existing teams and how scholarship limits will have to be temporarily raised for the 4-5 years of overlap once this gets over?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, Alabama -- thanks for showing that tip-of-the-spear leadership we've come to expect from you.  Perhaps next you'd like to inform your population that this illness is not due to the imbalance of humors?

ClassicExhaustedHornet-max-1mb.gif

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m going to guess that kids and daycare or school are involved from 33 on. For me, I have a chronic ear ache issue associated to a football injury so frequent air travel always made me sick in my 20’s. Then had kids in my 30’s and it made getting sick with ear aches look like a cakewalk. I’ve had strands of strep at least 10 times and all kinds of other shit including hand, foot, and mouth because of little kids bringing shit home. Ironically, I’m hoping that is part of what helps with this new virus. 

Yeah that's true - but my main point was that I never got sick when I was putting down 12 beers a night. I'm trying to fight the whole "if you drink more during this outbreak, you're more likely to get sick" argument. I know I can get some of yall behind me. 

• Like 2

Yeah, so I read that the cytokine storm thing that kills you is because your immune system is fighting back too hard.  My immune system is fantastic.  Kids brought every damn known sickness home so often those first few years of school,  and it seemed to go from one kid to the next kid to the wife, and I was always last man standing looking around like 'holy shit is the plague coming to get me' and it never did.  Very rarely, ever, get sick.  I think some of it is genetics, some of it was  growing up and bicycling behind the mosquito sprayers in town, soaking up that DDT.  And then there were the years living 'in the country' where the spray from the crop dusters would cool you down on a hot, muggy southwest Texas day.   You can call that stuff 'carcinogenic,' but fuck that, I never get sick, unless you count cedar fever, but that's just nature's way of saying 'get the fuck out of Texas,' which I finally did.

So probably need to up the drinking to knock that damn amazing immune system of mine down  a notch or two so it won't overreact and kill my ass.  Science, bitches.  

• Like 5

Basically every day is the worse day at the moment. Almost every state has more new cases than yesterday (or the day before) and the same with deaths. There are exceptions.   I think we should start discussing growth rates, and averaging the last few days to smooth discrepancies.

washington seems to be the outlier now in terms of slowdown but then again they might be just shifting back down to expected results. 

4 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Yeah, so I read that the cytokine storm thing that kills you is because your immune system is fighting back too hard.  My immune system is fantastic.  Kids brought every damn known sickness home so often those first few years of school,  and it seemed to go from one kid to the next kid to the wife, and I was always last man standing looking around like 'holy shit is the plague coming to get me' and it never did.  Very rarely, ever, get sick.  I think some of it is genetics, some of it was  growing up and bicycling behind the mosquito sprayers in town, soaking up that DDT.  And then there were the years living 'in the country' where the spray from the crop dusters would cool you down on a hot, muggy southwest Texas day.   You can call that stuff 'carcinogenic,' but fuck that, I never get sick, unless you count cedar fever, but that's just nature's way of saying 'get the fuck out of Texas,' which I finally did.

So probably need to up the drinking to knock that damn amazing immune system of mine down  a notch or two so it won't overreact and kill my ass.  Science, bitches.  

If El Campo didn’t kill you, I imagine you’ll live through this. 😂

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away