Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yep.  Or people are not feeling well, and cannot even get tested.  Honestly, the NYC cases are what, at 55k.  I would not be shocked for it to be 1M in the city.  I had the WORST cold I have ever had back at the end of January.  Funnily enough, it was RIGHT after Chinese New Year.  I would not be shocked if I, and a couple of other folks in our office, all had it late Jan/mid Feb.  Hell, I traveled through Heathrow, as did a number of other folks who attended IP week in London the last week in Feb.  I was also in Houston the last week in Feb for a wedding and meetings.  

We need antibody tests widespread ASAP (preferably at home).

Truth is, if you are not sick, DO NOT GO TO THE HOSPITAL OR EVEN THE DR.  STAY THE FUCK AT HOME.  BECAUSE IF YOU DID NOT HAVE IT, AFTER WAITING THERE, YOU DEFINITELY WOULD HAVE IT.

Agreed on the anti-body test. I can't wait for that. There's a good chance this is what knocked me down for a couple weeks -- just started feeling better this past Wed.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

How long until the civil unrest sets in and we start getting some rioting and shit. 

Asking for my stockpile of 30rd magazines. 

One of my neighbors caught a truck casing our neighborhood earlier.  Should be a fun few weeks.  

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A naval line officer, commanding a US ship of war goes outside the chain of command  ?  I applaud his humanity, but that was a  security breach, and he should have been removed.  Military justice is unforgiving for a reason.

I've talked to 2 ex naval gentlemen I know who commanded naval war ships/boats in the 90's, and they both were adamant he had to be relieved.

100% agree that he had to go in accordance with Naval precedence and tradition.  But... he still DID THE RIGHT THING.  Both can be true.  He was obviously at loggerheads with his boss.  There was either disagreement or a lack of communication.  The command relationship was irreparably damaged, so it’s no surprise that he got relieved. But he’s a damn hero.  

ETA: Not a security breach.  Breach of protocol and chain of command - yes.  But not a security breach.  

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Like 5

Had a virtual client meeting today. The husband has traveled all over the world for his career.

He said this is probably a  game changer for their company.  He said he doubts very seriously if they go back to the level of travel they were engaging in.  The dollars they save will be significant he said.  Not a good omen for the airline industry if his company is anything typical.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Oof yea worldometer recap

As said by ctj and many here.. this mornings NY report meant it was going to be a rough day and it was.

+1300 cases +300 deaths

Deadliest day in the country at 1320 +~400 from yesterday

We seem to be in a up down up down cycle which I guess beats going up up up.

I guess a plus side is 12 states have 100+ deaths. Hoping we can see the peak here in the next month and a lot of those states including some (IL, Mass, penn, Georgia, Washington) stay under 1000 for as long as they can.

A lot of states ranked between 20-40 for population are doing real good containing their spread

If we can keep those states from freaking out, I like our chances

2 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

100% agree that he had to go in accordance with Naval precedence and tradition.  But... he still DID THE RIGHT THING.  Both can be true.  He was obviously at loggerheads with his boss.  There was either disagreement or a lack of communication.  The command relationship was irreparably damaged, so it’s no surprise that he got relieved. But he’s a damn hero.  

ETA: Not a security breach.  Breach of protocol and chain of command - yes.  But not a security breach.  

If he said his crew was being ravaged by the virus that would constitute a security breach IMO (disclosing combat readiness intel).  

Yeah 2 right answers, being relieved was the correct military answer, and his selfless disregard for his career was also a right answer, but again, passing on the knowledge his crew was impaired by the virus was not right. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NoName said:

to be fair, 3 patients (up to 20 after article was posted) is literally a joke. NY State has about +19,000 - if we use population percentages (NYC has about 44% of the NY population) that means that NYC has about 8,360 ER visits per day on an average day. 

the ship took 20. that comes out to 0.239% of NYC's average daily ER visits. it is a ship with 1000 beds and 1200 crew members. 

here is why: 

lol here are Dowling's quotes/comments about him from the article. tl;dr both he is right (it is a joke for taking that few patients) and the ship's protocols are right (terrified about getting coronavirus patients since the beds/"bunked cots" are likely much closer than other beds based on the initial build out/reason/need for the ship)

that said, Dowling isn't some clown. profesor at Fordman, 7 years as state director of NY's version of HHSC, CEO of Northwell for 18 years. Northwell is like 23 hospitals per wiki, 6500+ hospital/LTAC beds, 18k affiliated physicians. it's huge. it takes a LOT for someone at that level to get that worked up, they are getting crushed.

Hospital ship is there for support.  It's  been well known ship would be there.  Not for covid, but the other patients.  IT'S THE RESPONSIBILITY OF HOSPITAL EXECUTIVES TO MANAGE PATIENT FLOW.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

So how many fewer people will be out and about tomorrow in Missouri compared to today?  

My sister (no pics) and bil live in Misery. Talked to them today and it's business as usual.

39 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Still seeing a bit of that from "friends" on FB because the death totals aren't as "high" as for the flu yet. It's all a political conspiracy.

Right wing media was hitting this hard today. Why are we crashing the entire economy when the flu is much deadlier ???

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If he said his crew was being ravaged by the virus that would constitute a security breach IMO (disclosing combat readiness intel).  

Yeah 2 right answers, being relieved was the correct military answer, and his selfless disregard for his career was also a right answer, but again, passing on the knowledge his crew was impaired by the virus was not right.

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Meh... I lived and breathed this for over 20 years.  It was all open source, common knowledge why that ship was in Guam and that they had an issue with COVID 19.  Technically, it was a security violation, because he confirmed open source reporting, but he didn’t say anything the world didn’t already know.  The Navy can hide behind “security breach”, but what Crozier did is unlikely to affect any clearance adjudication proceedings in his future.    

21 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Oof yea worldometer recap

As said by ctj and many here.. this mornings NY report meant it was going to be a rough day and it was.

+1300 cases +300 deaths

Deadliest day in the country at 1320 +~400 from yesterday

We seem to be in a up down up down cycle which I guess beats going up up up.

I guess a plus side is 12 states have 100+ deaths. Hoping we can see the peak here in the next month and a lot of those states including some (IL, Mass, penn, Georgia, Washington) stay under 1000 for as long as they can.

A lot of states ranked between 20-40 for population are doing real good containing their spread

If we can keep those states from freaking out, I like our chances

something strange on 1point3.  it went to 746 from 462 for NY which gave total of 1337 for day.  then it went back down to 462 for NY, total 1058 for day.  

19 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Hospital ship is there for support.  It's  been well known ship would be there.  Not for covid, but the other patients.  IT'S THE RESPONSIBILITY OF HOSPITAL EXECUTIVES TO MANAGE PATIENT FLOW.   

here's the strange thing.  NYC has 3000 ICU beds apparently.  the Javits center and the ship add another approx 4000 standard hospital beds.  if you don't have a plan to convert the thousands of standard hospital rooms in the brick and mortar hospitals to ICU/acute care what is the point?  yes it is good to have more beds for non covid folks and also have other doctors help with Javits/Comfort folks but you aren't adding more ICU beds.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I sincerely think American society is too lazy & apathetic to engage in full scale rioting or civil war. As long as there’s social media, abundance of vices, the promise of some $1200 check, and food to eat we’ll be too distracted to care about what’s really happening. 

I don't know if it's true but I've heard that only 3% of the colonists took up arms against the British in the Revolutionary War.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

I haven't been taking screen shots of the ZIP code map, but it looks like the biggest increases from my recollection of yesterday were in 78744/78747 (SE Austin/Onion Creek area) and 78758 (North Lamar & Rundberg). So it's starting hit the poors and working class now.

I'm at Rundberg/Lamar in 78753. Up to 7, from 5 two days ago.

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah that's true - but my main point was that I never got sick when I was putting down 12 beers a night. I'm trying to fight the whole "if you drink more during this outbreak, you're more likely to get sick" argument. I know I can get some of yall behind me. 

Listen, I need this to be right. Just saying, yeah, kids also. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Not when the guy you pissed off in football threw the basketball at your head (for no reason)?

I caught a pass over the middle and got earholed. We didn’t have money or coverage to check it out. I basically drank shakes for 3 weeks and dealt with an uneven jaw for what turns out to be the rest of my life. I saw an ENT in my late 20’s seeking help for ear aches, he found the scarring and trauma on my jaw, asked about breaking it at some point, I said I hadn’t, he asked about a time when I couldn’t chew, I told him that story and he diagnosed me with a plateaued eustachian tube or some shit. My options were major jaw and ear surgery with the jaw being reset and rebroken or suck it up with ear aches for the rest of my life. So I take a lot of claritin d during weather changes and deal with ear aches. 

Sorry for ruining the jokes, but that’s the reality.

54 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Agreed on the anti-body test. I can't wait for that. There's a good chance this is what knocked me down for a couple weeks -- just started feeling better this past Wed.

I had three weeks of being beat down by some respiratory shit from late February to mid-March. 

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm at Rundberg/Lamar in 78753. Up to 7, from 5 two days ago.

Glad it didn't go up so much. Maybe the shade of color changed or I misremembered. Regardless, hope you stay safe and keep an eye on those sheds behind your house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah that's true - but my main point was that I never got sick when I was putting down 12 beers a night. I'm trying to fight the whole "if you drink more during this outbreak, you're more likely to get sick" argument. I know I can get some of yall behind me. 

Sadly, what we have here is "stuff we feel and believe in" versus "hard science from those science fags"

So what we have to do is start a new religion.

I'm thinking "The Church of Booze"

• Like 2

Just now, bolverk said:

Glad it didn't go up so much. Maybe the shade of color changed or I misremembered. Regardless, hope you stay safe and keep an eye on those sheds behind your house.

The neighborhood seems pretty locked down, so that's a good thing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

So if I go give blood they will tell me if I’ve had corona because it will show if there are antibodies?  I got some weird infection that lasted about a week in early February.  I’d like to know if that is what it was.  

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Listen, I need this to be right. Just saying, yeah, kids also. 

I caught a pass over the middle and got earholed. We didn’t have money or coverage to check it out. I basically drank shakes for 3 weeks and dealt with an uneven jaw for what turns out to be the rest of my life. I saw an ENT in my late 20’s seeking help for ear aches, he found the scarring and trauma on my jaw, asked about breaking it at some point, I said I hadn’t, he asked about a time when I couldn’t chew, I told him that story and he diagnosed me with a plateaued eustachian tube or some shit. My options were major jaw and ear surgery with the jaw being reset and rebroken or suck it up with ear aches for the rest of my life. So I take a lot of claritin d during weather changes and deal with ear aches. 

Sorry for ruining the jokes, but that’s the reality.

I pictured you more of a DB. Anyway, who was the ENT? There is a good chance that I know him.

19 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Sadly, what we have here is "stuff we feel and believe in" versus "hard science from those science fags"

So what we have to do is start a new religion.

I'm thinking "The Church of Booze"

we already have the Irish Catholics.  but yeah Church of Booze is probably easier to get into.

16 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Impossible, I was told right here on Surly that humans had no immunity.

Does immunity equal asymptomatic? Honestly, I'm not a doctor and don't know if there's a difference from a definition standpoint.

Here, in this case, we find that 2/3 didn't feel symptoms but had been exposed. Another third had not been exposed. Tell us, how a self-selecting sample of seemingly healthy individuals (healthy enough that they never felt symptoms and feel fine to give blood) is representative of the population as a whole. Do you feel like doing the maths on that one on a Friday night?

Also, remember, asymptomatic people can still spread the damn thing and make other people sick. Are you throwing your lot in with the naysayers and saying this is no big deal?

Edit: Btw, I think that's great fucking news and I hope that this can all be figured out sooner rather than later. I want to get back to a normal life.

Edited by bolverk

Got a little bit of good news today.  One of my older kid's friend's mom has been sick as a dog with presumptive positive COVID19 (I say presumptive because they would not test her at the ER when it was extremely bad a week and a half ago. Would not admit her.  My wife spoke to her today and she's finally feeling better. 

She's probably late 40s and overweight.  I'd suspect she's at risk group for one reason or another.  Hopefully, it doesn't circle around on her and she's over it.  Single mom with an 8th grade daughter. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mchookem said:

good to know it is updating...78757 still showing 10, which is the same as Tuesday. yay? 

Hell yeah, yay. Cabo Bobs, Casita Guanajuato, Enchiladas y Mas, Jersey Mikes... that's my jam.

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Does immunity equal asymptomatic? Honestly, I'm not a doctor and don't know if there's a difference from a definition standpoint.

Here, in this case, we find that 2/3 didn't feel symptoms but had been exposed. Another third had not been exposed. Tell us, how a self-selecting sample of seemingly healthy individuals (healthy enough that they never felt symptoms and feel fine to give blood) is representative of the population as a whole. Do you feel like doing the maths on that one on a Friday night?

Also, remember, asymptomatic people can still spread the damn thing and make other people sick. Are you throwing your lot in with the naysayers and saying this is no big deal?

Edit: Btw, I think that's great fucking news and I hope that this can all be figured out sooner rather than later. I want to get back to a normal life.

Don't get too excited. If we had the same numbers exposed as NY or Northern Italy, we would have the same numbers hospitalized and dead.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away