Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

This is going to sound fucked up but this guys train of thought is why I rarely hire ex military, they lack critical thinking process that was drilled out of them in the military which causes their decision making to suffer

There are good and bad ex-military employees, just like any non-military hire. Having been a military family, your post indicates you don’t have much of an understanding of military processes and why they exist. And it’s sad that your lack of critical thinking skills is prohibiting you from hiring what could be fantastic employees.

The reality of the situation is that there isn’t enough information out in the public yet for any of us to judge whether he made the right or wrong decision. There is a line at which a commander does have to make a decision to not only break the chain of command, but also go outside the military to address an issue. Breaking chain of command is a very serious issue when it comes to the military. Why? Because life or death decisions are made every single day in the military. You can’t have a military leader deciding that it isn’t worth storming the beaches of Normandy because his guys are going to get killed.

There are a dozen factors you have to look at to understand his decision-making and whether it was appropriate. What was the timing of the events? Did he break chain of command internally first or leak the memo outside first? How did he engage his command on the issue? What were important factors under consideration at the time? Was there a place to put the soldiers on land? Did that place produce a higher or lower risk to the soldiers? Was there a critical military issue that was going on in parallel to all of this? What did his commanders tel him before he leaked the memo? Was it just sending the memo that got him fired? What did he try before sending the memo?

Personally, based upon the information we’ve seen so far, I would lean towards him having done the right thing, but I wouldn’t declare every other opinion wrong because we still don’t fully understand the situation.
  • Like 8

Military Command Chain talk not going away....

From rule of law and order to lawlessness, here is a different COVID story. Thieves broke into a convenience store in Houston and in addition to the usual ciggys, they stole hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol. They made a clean getaway and the police did not say if they had any suspects.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/houston-police-tracking-cases-of-stolen-covid-19-supplies/285-6069b2d1-8b46-4312-8e28-9e9272e73f35

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Military Command Chain talk not going away....

From rule of law and order to lawlessness, here is a different COVID story. Thieves broke into a convenience store in Houston and in addition to the usual ciggys, they stole hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol. They made a clean getaway and the police did not say if they had any suspects.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/houston-police-tracking-cases-of-stolen-covid-19-supplies/285-6069b2d1-8b46-4312-8e28-9e9272e73f35

Cleanliness Demand Chain talk not going away.   

cant remember which school district it was, but read somewhere yesterday that a bunch of parents were being threatened with fines/arrest for trying to pawn the school district’s smart tablets assigned to their children.  

Edited by Trey3216

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Do you know before you arrive at the premise and if so is it because they are asked on the 911 call or by another method such as hospitals or another agency keeps a list of covid-19 positive addresses?

Just depends. If they have tested positive or are under observation by the Dallas Health and Human Services, that information is attached to their address. So if we get a call there it will auto populate with that warning. I knew ahead of time going to this address, so I was able to glove and mask up. 

911 is also asking Covid related questions regardless of the call nature. But with such a long asymptomatic period, I don’t put much merit into peoples answers. I’d like to just assume everyone has it, but we don’t have enough masks. 

Edited by Constant
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

cant remember which school district it was, but read somewhere yesterday that a bunch of parents were being threatened with fines/arrest for trying to pawn the school district’s smart tablets assigned to their children.  

Sometimes I really hate people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

This is going to sound fucked up but this guys train of thought is why I rarely hire ex military, they lack critical thinking process that was drilled out of them in the military which causes their decision making to suffer

Your critical thinking is sorely fucking lacking then.  It might sound fucked up but you're a fucking idiot.  I'm ex military and most of my friends are.  We agree the CO made the right call.  He wasn't getting support so he made it public.  Yeah.  Just go fuck yourself dude

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

... Thieves broke into a convenience store in Houston and in addition to the usual ciggys, they stole hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol. They made a clean getaway ...

Clean getaway huh?  They wipe the place down with the rubbing alcohol?

• Like 1

Once you accept you are already dead , this becomes a lot easier.

Yeah but not like this. A parachute not opening... that's a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine... having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go!
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

Not sure how reliable that is.  Someone from BFE West Texas (or other BFEs) has to drive a bit further for supplies and/or essential employment than someone from  a lot of other places.

Wait, you don't think Joe Average in Van Horn is just driving all willy nilly around the state, spreading the Corona like he's Johnny Appleseed or something?

I mean, the graphic is pretty clear that this is exactly what's happening... :)

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Not sure how reliable that is.  Someone from BFE West Texas (or other BFEs) has to drive a bit further for supplies and/or essential employment than someone from  a lot of other places.

Our business results would mightily support your contention.  Supermarkets/ club stores are in the 135-140% range to the same 3 weeks last year.  Gas & Convenience are below last year, bigtime.  That has NEVER happened in 20 some odd years of my experience and that's with the cheapest gas most of us can remember.

people ain't goin anywhere...cept to WalMart and HEB if it's open.

Edited by Iceman

2 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Not at all. There is a certain kind of stupid built it to the training. 

I had an NCO who was highly regarded. Er, well, perhaps I should say he was well thought of. He couldn't meet mission because he ran out of a particular consumable item. I had to literally drive him to Wal-Mart to buy more. I've sent enlisted to Home Depot with a wad of cash to buy machine parts. The total lack of initiative is maddening to me. It's how enlisted in particular are trained.

The upside is that military tend to have better focus and preparedness. But it's an ethos, it has drawbacks. It is what it is. Officers tend to think differently, but I have tremendous respect for enlisted, especially senior enlisted.

Edited by Thetexashammer

2 hours ago, Constant said:

Had a disturbance call at a covid-19 positive residence for the first time tonight. Talk about your all-time pucker factors. I’ve never been more aware of my hands and body placement. God bless the doctors and nurses staring this thing in the face every day. 

How did you know?

6 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

I believe the lack of critical thinking is on your part, along with a dose of prejudice . My wife, and daughter have both worked at Capitol One.  They look to hire ex military folks because they are teamwork oriented, with strong, well developed leadership tendencies.

The service academies are among the top 10 highest academically rated colleges in the nation. They turn out extremely capable, trial by fire folks.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

It's going to be interesting how much the schools have to eat after all these devices get "lost".  Schools can't really do anything except hold your transcripts/diploma which doesn't mean shit to shitheads that aren't going to college.

We officially cancelled all our summer academies/retreats for high school/undergraduate students at UT McCombs this week.  The two that I primarily run are for Hispanic students.  Many of whom have deep ties to Mexico.  I am absolutely sure that this virus won't be blamed on their extended families.  If you'd like to discuss the issue, I am available.  And if this is considered political, let me know.

12 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

So what we have to do is start a new religion.

I'm thinking "The Church of Booze"

I think a lot of us are waaaaay ahead of you on that thought.  We aleady got a song .... "Gimme some of that Old fashioned religion"..... 

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The service academies are among the top 10 highest academically rated colleges in the nation. They turn out extremely capable, trial by fire folks.

I doubt he was referring to the service academy grads.

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

I doubt he was referring to the service academy grads.

they're fucked up absent minded drones, just like the rest of the military.

Every UT grad is a certain way, just like everyone from Dallas is a certain way.

It is known.

Edited by Iceman

13 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

How did you know?

Refer to my post above...

Essentially, the health department notifies the police/fire departments of the known addresses of people who have tested positive or are under observation by the health department as a suspected case. 

A notification auto-populates when a call is made at that address. 

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

This was a real concern in the district I work for. Students do not normally take devices home, so we were trying to come up with a plan that allowed us to sign

out devices to families. 

24 minutes ago, Constant said:

Refer to my post above...

Essentially, the health department notifies the police/fire departments of the known addresses of people who have tested positive or are under observation by the health department as a suspected case. 

A notification auto-populates when a call is made at that address. 

Honest question---has that always been the case?  If so, that is a great proactive tool by public health officials.  I mean, would you know if you were getting a call from an address from an HIV+ person, or a SARS/MERS, etc?  Do they have that type of intel for you ahead of time?  Obviously you get many calls about people just out and about in public and you don't know what's what until you roll up there and even then, you still don't know.  But has that type of infrastructure been in place already in terms of preemptive intel?  Thanks for your work on the front lines during this time BTW

36 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We officially cancelled all our summer academies/retreats for high school/undergraduate students at UT McCombs this week.  The two that I primarily run are for Hispanic students.  Many of whom have deep ties to Mexico.  I am absolutely sure that this virus won't be blamed on their extended families.  If you'd like to discuss the issue, I am available.  And if this is considered political, let me know.

You really are a walking solution in search of a problem. 

• Like 5

you're absolutely right.  There is no tacit racism on this thread.  I thank you and will bring up your service and dedication at our next UT board meeting.  

Had a disturbance call at a covid-19 positive residence for the first time tonight. Talk about your all-time pucker factors. I’ve never been more aware of my hands and body placement. God bless the doctors and nurses staring this thing in the face every day. 

Wow. Didn’t even think of issues like this. That sucks. How did you know it was CV19 positive? Did they tell dispatch?

How Are CV19 positive arrests handled?

I have had ex-mil work for me. They make good worker bees. However I agree, in general they do have a harder time in ambiguous work situations.

In a sales environment I find that if I give them a mechanical process they are very successful. For junior ex-mil I usually have to map out their day by the hour but once that is done they shine. They listen and adjust very well and generally respond to constructive criticism better than the general millennial population.

9 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You are just aching to talk politics, go to that thread, and shit away my man.   This thread has stayed basically Surly civil, but you're determined to fuck that up. Just how many posts is it now where you've made some veiled reference to not being able to discuss politics here ?

Got it.  how about this...our summer activities on campus have been canceled.  We have now moved onto discussions of cancelling many autumn activities.  Can I talk about the fact that I am in talks with UT about a full postponement/termination of autumn activities.  Can I talk about the things surrounding the University of Texas on a website devoted to the University of Texas?  Or is that beyond your bandwidth or just not allowed, you fucking child?  

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Got it.  how about this...our summer activities on campus have been canceled.  We have now moved onto discussions of cancelling many autumn activities.  Can I talk about the fact that I am in talks with UT about a full postponement/termination of autumn activities.  Can I talk about the things surrounding the University of Texas on a website devoted to the University of Texas?  Or is that beyond your bandwidth or just not allowed, you fucking child?  

You can, but throwing racism grenades into the discussion, because you always want to, is not needed.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You sure you're a teacher ?  Your post makes you look more like a dumb ass kid.  Sorry if the facts bug you, but you've been trying to goad people in to the political angle on several of your posts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You sure you're a teacher ?  Your post makes you look more like a dumb ass kid.  Sorry if the facts bug you, but you've been trying to goad people in to the political angle on several of your posts.

I am neither a teacher or the assistant vice president at a small bank.  I'll check the politics at the door but I worry about some of the anti-asian and anti-mexican rhetoric going on right now.  Not on this thread, but nationwide.  But I'll stand back as I'm sure it will dissolve  

Edited by Lobo

3 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Instead of extending these stay at home orders for a longer time, how about implement a 2 weeek actually strict stay at home order? As I stated before the current orders are a joke

This was one of the biggest mistakes. If a national SIP had been ordered back on March 14th we could be reemerging next week.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away